• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best Weird Al song and why is it It's All About the Pentiums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazmat

His best is Amish Paradise, but everything I've seen mentioned in this thread is great. I love Weird Al and it was awesome to see his last album do so well.

bounchfx

thread reminded me how much i love weird al, so glad I got to see him at blizzcon

I think Albuquerque is probably my favorite though, such a fun story song

Ogni-XR21

Just to post something that hasn't already been posted.

Amazing original: Hardware Store
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t6hagxzSdw

Amazing parody: Word Crimes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

I love Weird Al because he does so many different styles and genres that there's something for everyone to love. I don't think I've ever met a person that just hates everything he does.

Hardware Store is also used in my all time favorite YTMND

http://stansellseverything.ytmnd.com/

Sorry, OP, but Amish Paradise is easily the best Weird Al song

Yep. I'd feel like I was lying if I said anything else.

So much good stuff from him, though. Fat, Eat It, the Star Wars song, This Song's Just Six Words Long, All About the Pentiums, the Beverly Hillbillies song set to Dire Straits...love it all.

CNR doesn't get enough love.

Picking a single song from Weird Al would be to hard. I've been listening to him since I was a kid, so longer than the median GAFfer has been alive. In every decade he just keeps dropping great songs that skewer pop and immortalize it at the same time.

I'm also a huge fan of his polka medleys.

I've been listening to him since he dropped My Bologna on Doctor Demento.

Hell, I might have heard it the first time it was broadcast!

I'm old.

Nista

I'm also a huge fan of his polka medleys.

My SO always liked his parody songs, but didn't know about the polka medleys until I played all of the ones I could find on youtube for him. Also old here.

I always have a soft spot for fast paced accordion songs. It's the Weird Al version of dance music.

ckohler

"Bob" is a lyrical masterpiece. It's a song created completely using rhyming palindromes. Even the title, which is a reference to being in the musical style of Bob Dylan, is a palindrome. It's nonsense lyrics are also a reference to Dylan's often strange lyrics.

https://youtu.be/JUQDzj6R3p4

LordRaptor

"Bob" is a lyrical masterpiece. It's a song created completely using rhyming palindromes. Even the title, which is a reference to being in the musical style of Bob Dylan, is a palindrome. It's nonsense lyrics are also a reference to Dylan's often strange lyrics.

https://youtu.be/JUQDzj6R3p4

lNUh0uV.gif

The video is specifially referencing subterranean homesick blues - which itself with its nonsensical lyrics inspired I Am The Walrus

Cyan

Banned

Ctrl+f "Dare to be Stupid":
Amish Paradise - Best parody
Dare to Be Stupid - Best imitation
Dare To Be Stupid is the best song.
Got to see him in concert this past year which was awesome. I'd have to put It's All About the Pentiums at the top of my list as well. I also really dig Dare to be Stupid (thanks to my love of Transformers The Movie).
It's a close one between Hardware Store and Dare To Be Stupid for me.
Dare to be Stupid is one of the greatest songs ever.

Sis pls

Another One Rides the Bus gets me as amped as Another One Bites the Dust. If I had to choose one to shoot into space to greet the aliens I would have to flip a coin.

I don't think there's a single Weird Al song I don't like. A national treasure.

Confessions Part III, The Saga Begins, and Foil, are probably my favorites, but it's hard.

TDLink

It's impossible to pick just one. He's a pure genius with a ton of amazing songs. His polka medleys are fantastic as well.

Everything mentioned in this topic already is great.

I think Running with Scissors is probably his best all around album. I'll say that.

Holy shit the comments on that video are terrible, so disrespectful towards rap and the original song, do they think that's what Weird Al wants?

My top 3 are Amish Paradise, Fat, and White and Nerdy are the top 3 for me. I love all 3 and can't pick just one as my absolute favorite.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This thread has nowhere near enough Frank's 2000" TV.

Tobor

Albuquerque or Dare to be Stupid.

Dare to be Stupid is truly amazing.

In an interview on VH1's Behind the Music, Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh stated in reaction to the song that: "I was in shock. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. He sort of re-sculpted that song into something else and... I hate him for it, basically."[2][3]

Hard to argue with Mark here. But Albuquerque is so ridiculous and amazing! Argghh!

Al is a national treasure and deserves a lot more respect.

I don't have a favorite Al song because there's just way too many and I suck at deciding such things.

besada

Banned
I've been listening to him since he dropped My Bologna on Doctor Demento.

Hell, I might have heard it the first time it was broadcast!

I'm old.

Dr. Demento is where I first heard him, too. I used to lay in bed in the dark listening to it when I was a kid. It was so crazy and special.

Swass

Dr. Demento is where I first heard him, too. I used to lay in bed in the dark listening to it when I was a kid. It was so crazy and special.

Same, it came on at 10pm Sunday nights in the Salt Lake market, I would stay up and listen to the 2 hours with a tape recorder on the ready.. good times!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Nature Trail to Hell is my jam.

I was in Cub Scouts when that came out so I like that more than I should.
I'd also seen just about every '80s slasher 'cause typical hands-off Boomer parents.

black_13

Banned
Never heard of that before but that was amazing! Some hilarious lyrics had me laughing good. Weird Al deserves more credit.

Was not expecting a this to be a technomancer thread, however, I am pleasantly surprised. As a huge Weird Al fan, it's hard for me to say, but I think I have to go with eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom