• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Aggrotek

indeed. I switched to another pokemon that had rock smash so I could bring down its HP a little bit.

Except instead of picking rock smash, I accidentally picked rollout. I could only watch helplessly as the turns went by :(

Oh god, that sucks. I feel for you. I once killed a shiny Yanma. :(

Aggrotek

The lesson is to always carry a Master Ball on you at all times.

Doesn't help when you get a critical hit. :(

That sucks. Yanma is an awesome pokemon and its shiny color actually works.

Definitely just look at it. Its so awesome. :3
193.gif

OMG Aero

The lesson is to always carry a Master Ball on you at all times.
Since gold and silver I have always believed this is the true purpose of the Master Ball. Using it on a legendary (even one that runs away) is a waste, the Master Ball is the "oh shit a shiny that might kill itself/I might kill" ball.

NEO0MJ

Since gold and silver I have always believed this is the true purpose of the Master Ball. Using it on a legendary (even one that runs away) is a waste, the Master Ball is the "oh shit a shiny that might kill itself/I might kill" ball.

I usually keep my MB for a legendary I plan to use in fights, to make sure it has good nature/IVs.

Agreed. Especially with so many being stationary, there's really no reason to just save beforehand and keep reseting until you catch it with something other than a MB.

upandaway

Only legendary I've used a Masterball on was Arceus. I usually just brute force a catch by overwhelming the legendary with levels, and Arceus was just 2HKOing my capturer like he's a Magikarp.

I just can't be assed to load 6 capturer clones or switch to a tank after every time I sleep the guy. In the Masterball you go.

No sense in using it when I can just mash A while browsing GAF though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
At least if Pokemon ever tried an MMO / online co-op adventure game, it wouldn't be made using a cookie cutter engine.

But people clamoring for a Pokemon MMO generally have no idea what they're talking about, or asking for.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If they ever do do it, I hope they keep the actual turn-based battle system, with all the trappings. Somehow. I envision the battles being like PBR a little.

Otherwise they can do whatever they want, free-roaming a region in 3D could be amazing. And hopefully it is a previous region, not a new one like those lame GC games.

MikeMyers

Just beat Wallace in Ruby, and realized something. My team seems to low leveled

Level 34 Combusken
Level 37 Manetrike
Level 35 Cacturne
Level 35 what ever evolves into Flygon
Level 33 Starmie
and I caught a Gyarados to be my HM Slave.

Like, what? This is the first run I've done where my starter Pokemon hasn't been fully evolved after I have all the badges.

After I finish Ruby (gotta beat the E4 and get the legendaries), I'll probably to go the Johto remakes, then Platinum. I've never actually played Black or White before.

leroidys

I'm going to be going through ruby again soon and I just want to get to the post game as fast as possible, basically. Any tips for how to quickly build a team that horribly breaks the game?

Firestorm

At least if Pokemon ever tried an MMO / online co-op adventure game, it wouldn't be made using a cookie cutter engine.

But people clamoring for a Pokemon MMO generally have no idea what they're talking about, or asking for.
I'm not sure why people are so against a Pokemon MMO considering how perfectly the universe is set up for one and how mindnumbing the single-player can be when released every year.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm not sure why people are so against a Pokemon MMO considering how perfectly the universe is set up for one and how mindnumbing the single-player can be when released every year.

I think people against it fear it will be something based just on a WOW like formula, and the people that ask for it think this as well. But if it did happen, I think something like Guild Wars might be interesting. Cities would be the hub worlds with all the people interacting and when you headed out into the world, you could just quest with your smaller group of friends. But this sort of interaction, like co-op world exploration, could be accomplished in a main line series title, if they were not afraid of opening up online options (especially interaction with randoms).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying black so far. I played through the intro sequence and got to the point where the adventure begins. It has a lot more life than any of the other games. The first battle in the bedroom and Bianca's parents and stuff, it has a lot of personality.

I also watched the first episode of the anime. Holy shit that zebra's voice had me rolling. Soooooo stupid sounding, it was great. This is gonna be a fun few months.

Also.... Uh... The female avatar on the battle screen has a lil' Pokébooty. Anyone else notice that? lol. Those cutoff shorts are a little too sexy.

One early pick that I can think of is Wingull/Pelipper, who will be useful for the Norman fight (cheese Protect against Slaking), and will be a good partner vs. Tate n' Liza.

An electric type...Electrike is alright, available before Mauville, I wouldn't take Plusle/Minun, gimmicks.. Although I like Lanturn more, but if you want to wait until getting him, then choose Taillow/Swellow as your Flyer instead of Pelipper, for variety's sake.

MikeMyers

One early pick that I can think of is Wingull/Pelipper, who will be useful for the Norman fight (cheese Protect against Slaking), and will be a good partner vs. Tate n' Liza.

Tate n' Liza have Light Screen and Sunny Day, so I don't think he'd do that well.

I would suggest a Dark Pokemon.

Tate n' Liza have Light Screen and Sunny Day, so I don't think he'd do that well.

I would suggest a Dark Pokemon.
I forgot about SD, but I don't even remember even having a problem with T+L. More problematic for me were Winona/Altaria.

But I'd still go with Pelipper as a team member. However, I'll think of a party now...

Blaziken
Pelipper/Swellow
Mightyena
Manectric/Lanturn
Breloom
Medicham

Although, I'd have to look into what I used in that game, gimme a bit.

Gravijah

i dont want another pokemon game focusing on johto pokemon. a unique console title needs to have a region filled with a mixture of pokemon.

Just finished a playthrough of Black tonight. I'm ready for those sequels now.

Yeah I'm replaying all the GBA games in anticipation. Makes me realize how good gen 3 really was. I don't really think it's the worst because it's bad, rather, the other generations are just better if that makes any sense :p
Hoenn has some pretty good music though.
Route 113

Top Bottom