• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2017 | He11o Darkest My Old Friend

killercow

Awesome, thanks!

Also, I was able to update while being signed in to another ID. Just had to put in the password for that ID, but it didn’t switch the store or anything. Makes ios 11 my favorite upgrade. Nicely done Apple!

So the way it worked before is pretty similar: if the app that was soft launched becomes available in your country, you automatically see every update for every app even those downloaded with a different Apple ID!

Now if you switch to Australia for example and a game that you got through New Zealand is available, you'll also see the update for that app without being signed it. This is the way it works right now even before iOS 11.

Now if the game isn't available still in your country that's interesting but it'd mean a pretty big change in how Apple handles app distribution.

colinp

Banned
So the way it worked before is pretty similar: if the app that was soft launched becomes available in your country, you automatically see every update for every app even those downloaded with a different Apple ID!

Now if you switch to Australia for example and a game that you got through New Zealand is available, you'll also see the update for that app without being signed it. This is the way it works right now even before iOS 11.

Now if the game isn't available still in your country that's interesting but it'd mean a pretty big change in how Apple handles app distribution.

Yep, I have my main US App Store account that I’m usually signed in to and a Japanese account. I’ve got two Japanese apps not available on the US Store that I was able to update without signing out of the US acct and instead just supplying my jp account password.

Game changer!

killercow

Yep, I have my main US App Store account that I’m usually signed in to and a Japanese account. I’ve got two Japanese apps not available on the US Store that I was able to update without signing out of the US acct and instead just supplying my jp account password.

Game changer!

Holy cow! That's going to be very handy indeed. I've got more than 8 different IDs to go through and it can be quite a pain for updates!

M*A*S*H

What's up with XCOM? I'm thinking of buying it.

I just finished playing xcom on the iPad yesterday and honestly I would play it anywhere else if the option is available to you. There are numerous irritating omissions: missing cutscenes (autopsy, interrogations, research), neither of the dlc side missions are present and limited soldier customisation.
By far my biggest problem though was the camera. I spent more time fighting it than the aliens. Excruciatingly slow scroll speed compounded by a lack of inertia, zoom level resets when switching soldiers making the claustrophobic default intolerable and negotiating between interiors and exteriors is unbelievably more aggravating than on pc.
You would be far better off getting invisible inc instead. It's cheaper, it runs on ios11 and it's a flawless blend of stealth, hacking and turn based strategy married to a timeless aesthetic.

awp69

Eucildean Lands got its AR update. It’s kind of cool but honestly not very practical, especially in this type of game. The thing is instead of being able to rotate the entire cube to plan out your moves, you have to move your entire phone/body to see around the cube.

Like I said, it’s cool at first but I would never play the entire game like that. It’s also not lke a game where you would see troops or characters actually ON the ground or a surface.

Not sure this was the best game to use the technology for.

I wish I'd realized what Iron Marines was before I bought it. I wanted a sci-fi Kingdom Rush. This is a lot more RTS and I'm not into it, on a phone at least.

HotHamBoy

I just finished playing xcom on the iPad yesterday and honestly I would play it anywhere else if the option is available to you. There are numerous irritating omissions: missing cutscenes (autopsy, interrogations, research), neither of the dlc side missions are present and limited soldier customisation.
By far my biggest problem though was the camera. I spent more time fighting it than the aliens. Excruciatingly slow scroll speed compounded by a lack of inertia, zoom level resets when switching soldiers making the claustrophobic default intolerable and negotiating between interiors and exteriors is unbelievably more aggravating than on pc.
You would be far better off getting invisible inc instead. It's cheaper, it runs on ios11 and it's a flawless blend of stealth, hacking and turn based strategy married to a timeless aesthetic.

Still better than the Vita version...

heringer

Finally got Cat Quest. Purrrty pawsome (sorry)! Adorable, pretty, polished and fun to play. It's not going to win any awards, but it's a pretty enjoyable title. Really liked the little I played of Iron Marines too.

colinp

Banned
"Wow, a surprise release? That's awesome! Now let me just put the game on my wishlist.........wait."

Yah I don’t get why they got rid of that. I was pleased to find my wishlist still showing on my old OG iPad Mini since it’s running an older version of iOS.

Thought I had lost them all after updating my phone to 11.

Also a Thomas the Tank Engine AR App is showing on the App Store today. That must be new right? Since it’s got AR... it’s kinda neat, I think my son will get a kick out of it in a year or two.

Surely they’ll have other AR apps to show off on release.

heringer

Any new good twin stick shooters out there? I'm in the mood for one with fast gameplay and 2D visuals, if possible. My favorite used to be Storm Casters, sadly they never fixed a game breaking bug.

Pachimari

Meh, I'm updating my iPad to iOS 11 right now. Didn't think I would do it but the new features seem nice, and I'm not touching 90% of my games anyway.

killercow

Game changer!

That’s not working for me, not showing up updates for apps not released in my country as usual on iOS11.

killercow

Wow, really great iOS update.
Awesome on iPad.

Loving screen recording.

Everything’s really smooth so far yeah, love the new appstore and keyboard and I also love that you can finally move multiple apps at the same time!

Weirdly enough I’m still getting notifications from 32bit apps even though I can’t launch them.

Everything’s really smooth so far yeah, love the new appstore and keyboard and I also love that you can finally move multiple apps at the same time!

Weirdly enough I’m still getting notifications from 32bit apps even though I can’t launch them.
Haven't updated yet, what kind of AppStore changes?

And no more wishlist?

killercow

Haven't updated yet, what kind of AppStore changes?

And no more wishlist?

No more wishlist, no more top grossing list, the design is also brand new with more daily curated content and an indie section. You can also get top charts per games’ category faster. Everything’s just better :)

No more wishlist, no more top grossing list, the design is also brand new with more daily curated content and an indie section. You can also get top charts per games’ category faster. Everything’s just better :)
So your wishlist is gone? Is there any way to transfer it to a different app/save it/etc?

killercow

So your wishlist is gone? Is there any way to transfer it to a different app/save it/etc?

Yes! And Nope, better save it via either screenshots or manually through another app (like wishlist +) before upgrading!

I personally used TouchArcade’s app but it’s still sending me notifications even though it’s 32bits so at least i’ll know about sales. This also means that iOS 11 is still running 32bit apps somehow. Interesting.

awp69

I was surprised that iOS 11 supports the iPad Mini 2. For some reason, I thought it didn’t. Regardless, I’m keeping it on iOS 10.3 for my 32-bit library.

I have really been loving iOS 11 on my iPhone 6S Plus since the beta, however. If you really don’t mind losing certain games, it’s a no-brainer IMO.

kendrid

Banned
3DTD has AR once you get past level five. The game is a simple tower defense game against chickens.

The AR works amazingly well but having to walk around my room to play was a one time thing. They did an incredible job implementing it but it is easier to use my fingers to turn the map vs walk around.

kendrid

Banned
Stack also supports AR and it works well. Here I am playing on my cat tree:

xVXiy1bh.jpg

awp69

AR works well but I still don’t see it being of great value in games like Splitter Critters and Euclidean Lands. To me it’s just gimmicky and actually a distraction in those games.

Games where characters and other things actually sit on various surfaces are a different story. But blocks with a different background? Nah. I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me.

Especially in EL because you have to turn your whole body / arms / hands rather than use your fingers to move the cube. That’s annoying to me at least.

kendrid

Banned
AR works well but I still don’t see it being of great value in games like Splitter Critters and Euclidean Lands. To me it’s just gimmicky and actually a distraction in those games.

Games where characters and other things actually sit on various surfaces are a different story. But blocks with a different background? Nah. I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me.

Stacks is just a sort of cool tech demo IMO. It adds nothing to the actual game. I know my kids will enjoy playing on random surfaces.

killercow

Really??? That’s so bizarre.

Indeed, that’s pretty weird. Maybe you need to use the account first then switch to your regular one? Or it only works for new updates? I guess I’ll experiment a bit with this.

Edit: it doesn’t tell you now when you’re switching countries so there might be something there.

colinp

Banned
Indeed, that’s pretty weird. Maybe you need to use the account first then switch to your regular one? Or it only works for new updates? I guess I’ll experiment a bit with this.

Hmmm, I definitely didn’t sign in to the Japanese account first as it’s not my main account. I am at a loss as to what I might have done differently. It was the very first updates that came through! Very strange.

Also I could see the English Store when it all updated. So I definitely wasn’t connected to the Japanese Store.

Edit: I wonder if it can see I’m connected to a Japanese carrier and allows it because of that...? That’s all I can figure.

baconcow

Well, had an appocalypse fatality. Caylus (board game), which is 64-bit (I have it installed on my iPad Pro 10.5), no longer shows up on my purchase list. The iTunes page for it states that it is not available in my country (Canada). What?! Did Apple accidentally take it down because the last update was April 2015? It runs just fine on my iOS 11 iPad, but I am concerned about losing it in the future.

Pachimari

AppZapper doesn’t work anymore, well fuck.
What should I use for getting price reduction notifications?

I also hate the multi-tasking so far in iOS 11. Maybe I need to get used to it but it seems much harder changing apps in split view than ever before.

I formatted my iPad and now I only got Microsoft’s Solitaire game and Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic installed. Feels kind of great starting anew.

Top Bottom