• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"'Destiny 2' Included a Legendary Gauntlet With a White Supremacist Logo"

they are reaching when they say, "It is not intentional." I'm sure it's not intentional on the part of Bungie or Activision. But it's the intent of someone.
Definitely.
In such a large company, it's a given you'll have alt-right assholes. The interesting part is how you deal with it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So fed up with this 4chan Kekistan bullshit. Some artist definitely meant to put this in.

Bungie at least handled this situation well. It hadn't gotten noticed until they issued the apology and replaced it. I give them props for getting out in front of the issue. I think a lot of studios would have quietly changed it without saying anything in order to avoid controversy.

Marcel

I mean, I'm not surprised that some racist prankster on the Bungie art team got this through considering I didn't even know that this Kekistan racist meme had a flag at all. This is why you have your high-ups double and triple check things though.

Jonboy

So fed up with this 4chan Kekistan bullshit

Bungie at least handled this situation well. It hadn't gotten noticed until the issued the apology and replaced it. I give them props for getting out in front of the issue. I think a lot of studios would have quietly changed it without saying anything in order to avoid controversy.

Yeah, the first I heard about it was their apology.

Catvoca

Banned
1505236438863-Screen-Shot-2017-09-12-at-114336-AM.png

ARWeXnn.png

That's fucked up, but understandable oversight in such a huge game with so many assets

Props for the quick and clear response

SkylineRKR

The color, font and reversed K are identical. This is hardly a coincidence. I guess they can narrow down the designers.

Cornbread78

From the community thread:
So Bungie's twitter feed said they're removing gauntlets from the game because markings on them could be interpreted "as hateful". So that's what the patch was I do believe.

Official Response:
1/2 It's come to our attention that a gauntlet in Destiny 2 shares elements with a hate symbol. It is not intentional. We are removing it.

2/2 Our deepest apologies. This does NOT represent our values, and we are working quickly to correct this. We renounce hate in all forms

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/907648309740822528

FyreWulff

hope they find the dude who snuck this in and get rid of him. too close to be a coincidence imo

Depending on if they use source control for assets, they can probably just click through and find the exact employee. I assume they are, because they have High Moon Studios and Vicarious Visions making armor and other art models and general assistance for D2.

Deku Tree

I really hope Bungie figures out how this happened and fires anyone who knowingly approved this symbol to be in the game.

No way the artist who drew it didn’t know. I find that hard to believe.

I saw the graphic and was like 'that doesn't really look like anything' then I saw the actual flag and then immediately was like 'oh, okay that was completely intentional. Holy shit'

Good on Bungie for removing it asap and hope they look into whoever designed it.

Really shitty someone snuck this in there. I consider myself pretty well informed and even I didn't recognize it at first. Won't take them long to figure out where it came from, I'm sure.

Dynomutt

I can't read the full flavor text but this had to be intentional.

....so few possess it. Own it. Enjoy it. - The Speaker

Must be referring to White privilege. Didn't the Speaker wear all white as well...

0racle

Way to coincidental. I see people grasping at straws all the time in this social justice world we live in, but this looks intentional to me. The green colour is give away.

Hasney

I've never seen that symbol in my life so I can see how it slipped by higher ups, but fuck I hope someone is held accountable

SomTervo

I can't read the full flavor text but this had to be intentional.

....so few possess it. Own it. Enjoy it. - The Speaker

Must be referring to White privilege. Didn't the Speaker wear all white as well...

I was thinking this could be unintentional and someone else probably did the flavour text, but yeah. That's looking grim.

Man it sucks that that kek is a bad thing now. I remember original WoW, maybe even still in modern WoW for all I know, you couldn't understand the enemy faction because the game hashed what they were saying, so "lol" got translated to "kek" and people basically used it as horde laughing at alliance etc. Just a silly WoW reference.

Not surprised some asshole was able to slip this in. Before this I had never even heard of that flag so it was probably really easy to go unnoticed.

Hope Bungie find the person and fire them

Definitely intentional by whoever designed it but understandably missed. I had no idea what I was looking at until I saw the flag posted.

Top Bottom