• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
GreekWolf said:
Voice-acting is light-years ahead of FO3. The few NPCs he came across in the wilderness all had radically different personalities.
Agreed.

I can already tell the soundtrack will be memorable. Marty Robbins (Big Iron on his Hip) crooning in the background while gunning down rabid coyotes, makes this a must-buy.
<3 Wayne Newton also. Basically the new Three Dog.

GreekWolf

Geoff9920 said:
Just curious, but how can you tell this over a live stream? Good news though. It'd be nice if the PC version had better textures over FO3.
Well, admittedly, it's impossible to make a definitive judgment until playing it for yourself. However, I noticed right away that building textures have considerably more detail (especially the log cabin) than the 360 version of FO3. I never played the PC/PS3 versions to draw a valid comparison.

From the media released over the last year, I was apprehensive about the creaky engine holding up for New Vegas, but was pleasantly surprised by the stream.

itxaka

Defeatist
^^^release is out. Check any nfo page

EviLore said:
First stream appears a couple hours after the pirate 360 version hits the internet. Right.

woah and the DLC is out too. ¬_¬

Unlock this already on steam goddamit. Pirates are playing it, I want to play it too.

stupei

Whether or not the stream is of a legit copy (which I'm genuinely hoping it is, because that'd mean the mom and pop store near where I live have copies in already too), took just about 15 minutes of it to convince me that I need this game.

The fact that I'm going to be getting it on 360 made me a little nervous, but FO3 was still a great experience on console, so.

This is the season of not enough hours in the day. :D

Ploid 3.0

The stream don't make it look so good for me. Also it's like a Red Dead setting, I liked the music in F3 more. I wonder if this has custom soundtrack for PS3.

EviLore said:
And nothing could be more wrong.

musta been post bg2 doe-eyed reviewer bias, or based of the toolset included. Nwn was so bad (in a boring way), jade empire hadn't come out yet I guess, to expose the emperors new clothes.

Celsior

EviLore said:
First stream appears a couple hours after the pirate 360 version hits the internet. Right.
hey hey hey, he could have a legit copy
he could be the guy that leaked it

New radio guy is pretty cool, gun sounds still have a weird feel to them.

Strongly agree that the voice acting has improved, the faces too seem to be somewhat better.

Lakitu

st5fu
Watched the stream for 10 mins. It looks fantastic. I shouldn't have watched it. It makes me wan the game even more.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
EviLore said:
I'm playing through Eschalon: Book I right now, so, uhh, I won't be lamenting New Vegas having graphics similar to Fallout 3.

Completely OT but how is it? I've been dancing circles around those 2 games for months now deciding whether to buy or not... demo seemed alright.

itxaka said:
^^^release is out. Check any nfo page

woah and the DLC is out too. ¬_¬

Unlock this already on steam goddamit. Pirates are playing it, I want to play it too.

this. I NEED IT! (how is DLC out already...wtf)

GreekWolf

Yeah, I'm thinking our streaming friend is wearing an eye-patch with a parrot on his shoulder. He just walked into an area where none of the textures popped in. Either Obsidian has missed a bone-crippling bug or else someone's playing a less-than-legit copy. :lol

Atmosphere is really impressive. Wish we had a Mom-and-Pop store nearby to wrangle an early copy from.

Zeliard

EviLore said:
I'm playing through Eschalon: Book I right now, so, uhh, I won't be lamenting New Vegas having graphics similar to Fallout 3.

Charming art goes a long way. :>

I thought Fallout 3's landscapes were beautiful, but outside of that the game was a visual mess from both a tech and art standpoint. Of course, that was the least of its problems.

water_wendi said:
i think people are talking about the different pre-order packs.

ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

"Caravan Pack (Steam and Wal-Mart) nets you the Lightweight Leather Armor, sturdy caravan shotgun, four repair kits, and binoculars."

Binoculars actually seem like the most useful pre-order item, so that works out. Although I am sure they are easy enough to acquire in game.
fuck retailer exclusive dlc though

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sinatar said:
Completely OT but how is it? I've been dancing circles around those 2 games for months now deciding whether to buy or not... demo seemed alright.

I'm enjoying it plenty. The demo is representative of what to expect, and personally it sold me on it.

It doesn't bring anything new to the table or provide fantastic writing or amazing combat or anything like that, it just pushes the right buttons for the genre. Build your character how you want, go where you want, fight baddies, be good or evil without any horrible morality system getting in the way. All with no handholding.

There's only so many games like that in existence, especially with functional UIs. And I've played almost all of them already. So I appreciate Eschalon.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The_Reckoning said:
Binoculars actually seem like the most useful pre-order item, so that works out. Although I am sure they are easy enough to acquire in game. fuck retailer exclusive dlc though

Agreed, though this is the least offensive of retailer exclusive DLC. At least everything can be obtained at some point in the game, so you only have a small, initial, and optional advantage.

water_wendi said:
i think people are talking about the different pre-order packs.
Speaking of those pre-order packs, do we know if the items & equipment in the packs are exclusive and can't be found in-game? Or are the packs just giving you a head start with a few bonuses.

I really want the "classic pack", but I'm using Amazon and I'd hate to resort to paying inflated prices on eBay because if devious Gamestop employees.

Horns

*facepalm.gif*

So want this right now. Didn't even think much about the game until this week. Now I am all hyped up and the weekend isn't even here. blah

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Reluctant-Hero said:
Speaking of those pre-order packs, do we know if the items & equipment in the packs are exclusive and can't be found in-game? Or are the packs just giving you a head start with a few bonuses.

I really want the "classic pack", but I'm using Amazon and I'd hate to resort to paying inflated prices on eBay because if devious Gamestop employees.

I'm pretty sure they can all be found through the course of the game.

Regardless, I'm also pretty sure that any of those items could be unlocked in the console if they did somehow, and for some reason, make it completely exclusive.

duckroll said:
Errr... what is this about DLC? They haven't even announced any DLC for the game. What's going on?

(As an aside to what you were responding to) Bergman confirmed on a BethBlog podcast that DLC was happening (link):

Jason Bergman said:
"We confirmed that we will be doing DLC, and we'll be announcing that fairly soon,"... We haven't really said any details of any kind other than 'Yes, we will be doing DLC.

Also today a news bit on The Escapist (link) mentions (less assuredly and probably more reflective of reality) that Obsidian "has a plan" for DLC and reiterated that there will not be any Broken Steel-esque ending revision.

itxaka

Defeatist
Sn4ke_911 said:
leaked on xbox 360 .....

removed

waaat

You can sleep and eat up to 1000 units...doesn't seem like real hardcore. I expected you had to sleep like 4 hours out of 24 or eat a couple of times every 24 hours, not just stockpile food and bed hours ¬_¬

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ploid 3.0 said:
Thanks for the but

duckroll said:
Sorry, please don't post links to livestreams of pirated games and stuff. It's quite obvious here.

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't saw duckroll's post.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
itxaka said:
waaat

You can sleep and eat up to 1000 units...doesn't seem like real hardcore. I expected you had to sleep like 4 hours out of 24 or eat a couple of times every 24 hours, not just stockpile food and bed hours ¬_¬
Wait...how long does 1000 units last you though? This sounds disappointing. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hmm. I wonder if I can order this cheap from India...

Llyranor

Alpha Protocol made Nolan North sound good (my favorite VA in the game, possibly), so that was quite a feat too. VA should be decent.

Like a floppy!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
itxaka said:
waaat

Well at least we can have it patched harder on PC if its not challenging enough.

Dalauz

OMG

Fallout New Vegas Classic Pack

Armored Vault 13 Suit, the Vault 13 Canteen, the Weathered 10mm Pistol and 5 Stimpaks.

its TRUE?

GO FAST STEAM, FAST. TIME IS A RELATIVE THING, PLEASE UNLOCK IT

How do I get this DLC in STEAM?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah the difficulty of the hardcore mode features isn't a concern on PC, since that's trivial to mod. The more important issue (unless you're playing on some sort of vastly inferior platform) is whether the game world has been designed to properly take hardcore mode into account. It's been discussed a lot by the Obsidian guys, so I don't expect it to be an afterthought.

Ploid 3.0

Llyranor said:
Alpha Protocol made Nolan North sound good (my favorite VA in the game, possibly), so that was quite a feat too. VA should be decent.

Like a floppy!

Do you recommend that game? I have never owned a Obsidian game and I'd like to start somewhere.

Waiting on Fallout:NV GOTY Edition. If it don't get a GOTY award they will make a Ultimate Edition like Forza 3 I hope.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Zeliard said:
But did you sever it?

I posted a link to 2 live streams. Not a download link. ;)

btw. i don't have a modded 360

Dalauz said:
OMG

its TRUE?

GO FAST STEAM, FAST. TIME IS A RELATIVE THING, PLEASE UNLOCK IT

How do I get this DLC in STEAM?

Has a leak ever caused a dev/pub to say fuck it and release it early on Steam? Or is this just fantasy?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The_Reckoning said:
Has a leak ever caused a dev/pub to say fuck it and release it early on Steam? Or is this just fantasy?

It happened *today*, actually, with Arcania.

I wasn't planning on buying the game at launch but if it were unlocked early on Steam, I'd probably order it immediately. That is some weird psychological shit.

Top Bottom