• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Sojgat

The DLC for this game is complete mess.
The claws are out, they are free for story mode, you can download the compatibility pack for free. But to use them in the Ninja Trials and online modes, you need to buy a 2nd pack for 240MS points. Then there is a Ninja Lite pack that includes some new unlockables for the multiplayer, and a few of the new trials.
There's also a pack for each of the new trials for every difficulty.
All in all there are like 6 different packs that divide up 10 new Ninja Trials, claws for the story and multiplayer, one new stage for multiplayer, and some new unlockables.

What, really? Holy shit Japanese developers/publishers whatever, have no idea how too handle DLC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I genuinely dont see how people are enjoying this. It was uniformly terrible. If the 'immersive' USE TRIGGER BUTTONS TO CLIMB segments weren't one of the worst affronts to action games in recent memory, the games enemy roster having been all revealed halfway through and using cheap unblockable throw techniques with an absurd hit range should do it.

It is like chewing the cud, you do the same thing over and over again and it never feels satisfying in the least.

On another note, it felt sort of obvious to me that someone on the dev team absolutely loved the shit out of MGS4 and was a main influence on the game's settings and plot. I could see so much seeping in from it, that I don't think it could possibly be coincidence.
When played in smaller chunks it's a simple, fun little action game. Whether you can enjoy it or not depends on how you approach it. People enjoy Shin Sangokumusou and this feels much better than any of those games.

Robot Pants

Some of what I said initially is a bit inaccurate but I glanced over the descriptions real quick on my Xbox (god I hate the metro UI).

There are actually 8 packs total

1 for the 5 Acolyte Trials
1 for the 5 Mentor Trials
1 for the 5 Leader Trials
1 for the 5 Master Trials
1 for Claws for Multiplayer
1 for the Costume stuff for multiplayer
1 for everything
Then there is the sample pack (Ninja Lite) which includes the claws for SP, 1 new stage, and a new level cap.
Also you need to download this one in order to continue to play online, so really it should just be a Title Update that downloads automatically, but.....

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/NINJA-GAIDEN-3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024b5607d4
There is a database error on the marketplace right now, but give it time it will work and you can see all the descriptions yourself.

Some of what I said initially is a bit inaccurate but I glanced over the descriptions real quick on my Xbox (god I hate the metro UI).

There are actually 8 packs total

1 for the 5 Acolyte Trials
1 for the 5 Mentor Trials
1 for the 5 Leader Trials
1 for the 5 Master Trials
1 for Claws for Multiplayer
1 for the Costume stuff for multiplayer
1 for everything
Then there is the sample pack (Ninja Lite) which includes the claws for SP, 1 new stage, and a new level cap.
Also you need to download this one in order to continue to play online, so really it should just be a Title Update that downloads automatically, but.....

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/NINJA-GAIDEN-3/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024b5607d4
There is a database error on the marketplace right now, but give it time it will work and you can see all the descriptions yourself.

What happened to the scythe?

When will we know how this sold? Like, the opening and close of the NDP?

Judging by the media create numbers, the UK chart data and a certain banned website this is the worse selling NG entry.

But to be fair, It released on a Friday in europe so the full picture won't be seen till at least a week from now.

Ha, the forgot the most important part of the nickel and dime model. You have to make a game that sells first.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Judging by the media create numbers, the UK chart data and a certain banned website this is the worse selling NG entry.

But to be fair, It released on a Friday in europe so the full picture won't be seen till at least a week from now.

Ha, the forgot the most important part of the nickel and dime model. You have to make a game that sells first.

Hm, do you know where I can see the UK chart data?

When this doesn't chart on the top 10 NPD, I hope someone leaks the numbers.

I hope so as well. I really want to see how this and the DMC Collection does, and neither will be charting in the Top 10.

ryan13ts

What happened to the scythe?

That's what I want to know. When it was first announced, I was under the impression that both weapons would be in the same pack together (That's the only way that makes sense to be honest). Are they now putting the scythe out in a different update pack later on, or just by itself? Either way, it's dumb since it's already complete and supposed to be free, so they should have included it in this first "sample" pack. And the scythe sure as hell better not be paid DLC after they said it would be free.

I swear, they can't even get the DLC right with this game....

Scythe comes out on April 17. It's free.

I swear this is infuriating. I can live without the extra acolyte/mentor/w.e. missions, but seriously, not letting you use the claws and scythe in trials without paying for them is SO stupid. Whichever dumb s***t made this decision deserves to be steel-on-boned.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Really loving trials mode.
Going to start the game on hard once they release the claws...

I don't want to say too many good things about this game, because I'd feel I'd be trolling everyone here, but it is damn fun overall. Probably will end up being one of best action games of 2012.

The fact that this is actually true is a powerfully depressing realization. I'm very much aware as I have been from the beginning that this is actually a functional, relatively competent action game at it's core, and I honestly expected to be able to enjoy it to some degree.

But the moment I popped it in I knew I couldn't. The fact that the game is markedly, deliberately and drastically inferior in every single way to both previous entries means it basically amounts to absolutely nothing. People who have played the previous games will hate it, and people who haven't played the previous games should just do that instead. It doesn't even matter that "mediocre action games now are better than mediocre action games then," there is literally no reason for anyone to waste their time with this. I don't believe that a sequel always needs to be 'bigger, faster, better!' as long as the streamlining/simplified design supports whatever kind of new experience they're going for, but this offers nothing new outside of a more clumsy and unrefined fighting system, and nothing in the actual game justifies the direction.

The fact that this is actually true is a powerfully depressing realization. I'm very much aware as I have been from the beginning that this is actually a functional, relatively competent action game at it's core, and I honestly expected to be able to enjoy it to some degree.

But the moment I popped it in I knew I couldn't. The fact that the game is markedly, deliberately and drastically inferior in every single way to both previous entries means it basically amounts to absolutely nothing. People who have played the previous games will hate it, and people who haven't played the previous games should just do that instead. It doesn't even matter that "mediocre action games now are better than mediocre action games then," there is literally no reason for anyone to waste their time with this. I don't believe that a sequel always needs to be 'bigger, faster, better!' as long as the streamlining/simplified design supports whatever kind of new experience they're going for, but this offers nothing new outside of a more clumsy and unrefined fighting system, and nothing in the actual game justifies the direction.

This game looks pretty bad but I guess there are worse fates - like playing Warriors Orochi 3. But yeah, this game is a shame. If MG Rising doesn't come out this year it will probably be one of the worst hardcore-action game years this gen.

dark10x

I've already played the hell out of the first two games. I'd rather play something different, even if inferior, than replay those games again. What's wrong with that?

I'm able to overlook the fact that this is a failure as a sequel and enjoy it for what it is. The best platformer ever made, in my opinion, was Super Mario World. No other Mario game has ever matched that for me...but that doesn't mean I can't still enjoy playing the rest of the series. It's possible to enjoy games that aren't the best of the best.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I've already played the hell out of the first two games. I'd rather play something different, even if inferior, than replay those games again. What's wrong with that?

I'm able to overlook the fact that this is a failure as a sequel and enjoy it for what it is. The best platformer ever made, in my opinion, was Super Mario World. No other Mario game has ever matched that for me...but that doesn't mean I can't still enjoy playing the rest of the series. It's possible to enjoy games that aren't the best of the best.
Comparing this to the Mario series seems a little inappropriate. Every successive Mario game has significantly built upon the previous foundation while offering something at least functionally different that what came before. They never removed features or powerups, they replaced them with something different and equally viable, and designed the game around that. People have their preferred entry, but none of them make any previous or future games in the series obsolete (except maybe the original :p).

I played the first 2 to death as well, and also wanted something new in the same vein, but by the third level I was questioning why I was playing it. It sure wasn't for the story (which is insulting, even by NG standards), or the level design (which are bland and painfully uninteresting). I was playing first and foremost for the combat, and between the endless waves of identical, grab-happy enemies and the painfully limited moveset, being 'different' than what I played before meant nothing. I never got tired of the immense variety and combat depth in NG2, but I was bored to tears after the 3rd stage in 3.

Didn't mean to single anyone out or question their tastes with that comment, I really just feel like the game is a complete waste of everyone's time. :p

That was exactly my experience with the game luka, right down to the point the boredom struck me. I'm thinking I might just put the difficulty down to normal just to blast through the rest of the game and be done with it.

MCD

With the claws, can you still Izuna Drop off a Flying Swallow? Did they change FS with that weapon too?

I tried to do it but it did something else and said fuck it, gonna customize some maid bitches in my Soul Calibur 5 instead.

So I dunno lol.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Really loving trials mode.
Going to start the game on hard once they release the claws...

I don't want to say too many good things about this game, because I'd feel I'd be trolling everyone here, but it is damn fun overall. Probably will end up being one of best action games of 2012.

As for weapons, I kind of realize they will only do blade-type weapons to be compatible with this steel on bone. That means no tonfas, lunar (unless they add blades at the ends, eg. Mumiji weapon). Also things like the chained blade or that giant sword wouldn't make much sense. What we might see in future DLC is dual swords and hopefully some sort of nunchucks/dual knifes (though already similar to the claws).

Warriors Orochi 3 is the best action game of 2012. =)

This game looks pretty bad but I guess there are worse fates - like playing Warriors Orochi 3. But yeah, this game is a shame. If MG Rising doesn't come out this year it will probably be one of the worst hardcore-action game years this gen.
Unlike NG3, Warriors Orochi 3 is actually fun.

What, really? Holy shit Japanese developers/publishers whatever, have no idea how too handle DLC.

Not surprising judging by how horribly they designed this game. Somebody will buy it. And Tecmo's done worse. I don't know the file sizes, but the icing on the cake would be if these weapons were locked on-disc DLC.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Not surprising judging by how horribly they designed this game. Somebody will buy it. And Tecmo's done worse. I don't know the file sizes, but the icing on the cake would be if these weapons were locked on-disc DLC.

well evil ryu already has the claws and scythe and the same movesets, so maybe! :p

i think it's pretty clear that these weapons were always planned to be part of the game from the beginning.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The compatibility pack for the DLC is almost 350 megs, so most of it isn't on-disc, that's for sure.

The scythe is coming later with a 5th multiplayer map.

I have to admit, one thing I do like is how the ninja trials are handled... integrating them with the multiplayer and character progression is a good idea IMO because 1: you can play trials to level up and get abilities instead of "unfairly" powered up human players, and 2: it gives you something more to shoot for when playing through trials besides just a high score.

In point of fact, I'm surprised at how much I like the multiplayer clan battles. I have to think reviewers who said the multiplayer was forgettable didn't understand how to play it. After it clicked I think it's a genuinely unique multiplayer experience. It didn't have enough maps with only 3. But, they are fixing that with free maps.

I'm coming to feel that most of this game's problems are in the direction they took rather than complete lack of ability. They went too far in trying to pare it down and make it "mainstream". That, and FYI it DOES look as if it was a low budget game. It's not just a matter of a different art style (though it is different). Comparing it to NGII, II is a vast game with tons of unique assets per chapter, complex and intricate map construction, and what looks like a far higher art budget.

NGIII, by comparison, looks like a game made with half or less of the time and resources, stretched thin.

Of course, comparing the game to II is like comparing any action game to one of the pinnacles of the genre (even WITH II's lack of balance and testing). III is an "average" game by today's standards. It is clear that's enough to elicit more than enough sour reactions coming down from NGB and II.

Hm, do you know where I can see the UK chart data?

I hope so as well. I really want to see how this and the DMC Collection does, and neither will be charting in the Top 10.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index....p&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2012&year=2012&week=12

Last week

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468756

This week (posted while I was out)

Edit: wasn't looking properly. It's 31 in the uk charts and totally fallen out of the overall pal chart. it sold less than 2k on the Friday of week 12 in the whole pal region and debuted at 37.

So yeah....bomba.

dark10x

Comparing this to the Mario series seems a little inappropriate. Every successive Mario game has significantly built upon the previous foundation while offering something at least functionally different that what came before. They never removed features or powerups, they replaced them with something different and equally viable, and designed the game around that. People have their preferred entry, but none of them make any previous or future games in the series obsolete (except maybe the original :p).

I played the first 2 to death as well, and also wanted something new in the same vein, but by the third level I was questioning why I was playing it. It sure wasn't for the story (which is insulting, even by NG standards), or the level design (which are bland and painfully uninteresting). I was playing first and foremost for the combat, and between the endless waves of identical, grab-happy enemies and the painfully limited moveset, being 'different' than what I played before meant nothing. I never got tired of the immense variety and combat depth in NG2, but I was bored to tears after the 3rd stage in 3.

Didn't mean to single anyone out or question their tastes with that comment, I really just feel like the game is a complete waste of everyone's time. :p
It's odd that you take issue with the level design and story telling and then compare it to NG2. The story telling is not good by any means, but it's certainly more coherent and tolerable than anything in NG2.

Same deal with the level design. The combat of NG2 was fantastic, but the levels were even more repetitive and uninteresting than they are here. After the fantastic original game, NG2's very linear, boring levels were a huge letdown. NG3 at least mixes up the scenery more frequently.

I stopped comparing NG3 to the rest of the series almost right away, however, and was able to enjoy it as a result. It's basically a brawler ala Final Fight with some modern elements thrown in. Simplistic move set, straightforward levels, lots of repetition, and big dumb bosses.

That said, I played through Day 4 last night and, man, I couldn't believe how annoying those lab experiments were to fight. Absolutely hated every one of those battles. They simply went on for far too long and were full of cheap throws.

Solid07

Banned
This game on PS3 sold ~70,000 copies and ~40,000 copies on 360.

Huge bomba.

Looks like this game ending up in a $5 bin may happen sooner than this holiday season. xD

The combat of NG2 was fantastic, but the levels were even more repetitive and uninteresting than they are here.

I can't agree less, NG3 stages are boring, dull and uninspired, they are so bad, that they made almost all of them too dark to hide how ugly they are, NG2 has some pretty stages, starting from first stage in Tokyo, to the expanded Hayabusa village/castle or even New York is better than the sitty london in NG3.

Snookie

I was kinda interested in how the Move controls are but it seems thats the least i should be concerned about for this game. I think i'll wait for mega bargain bin prices on this one from what i'm reading in here.

dark10x

I can't agree less, NG3 stages are boring, dull and uninspired, they are so bad, that they made almost all of them too dark to hide how ugly they are, NG2 has some pretty stages, starting from first stage in Tokyo, to the expanded Hayabusa village/castle or even New York is better than the sitty london in NG3.
NG2 does have some pretty stages...but they drone on forever and ever. New York is just a flat, empty street full of creatures with an eventual trip to the subway tunnels and sewers (bleh).

I've had a really difficult time enjoying replays of NG2 for this very reason. The stages are incredibly dull to me.

NG1 is so far beyond the other two games in this regard with its almost Zelda/Metroid-like structure and elaborate overworld. You really feel as if you're making progress through a complete world rather than visiting a bunch of unrelated stages.

This game on PS3 sold ~70,000 copies and ~40,000 copies on 360.

Huge bomba.

Looks like this game ending up in a $5 bin may happen sooner than this holiday season. xD

This game, at it's current rate is swelling on par with enslaved. I won't lie if don't find that slightly ironic.

That said, I've got a rental copy here now. As much as I have ragged on the full game I still need to play it and I will eventually buy a copy at a really reduced price.

My 360 copy takes ages to load. I put the disc in I get a black screen for like a minute before the Koei-Tecmo logo appears.
I tried installing and it's just the same.

I thought maybe it was a disc drive problem (even though it's a -6month old Slim), but 6 other games tested loaded fine.

The disc is clean too.

Is this just me?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just tried it (3.5 and so hours).

First I want to say I prefer Sigma 2 over NG2, I actually liked what Hayashi done in Sigma 2, with rebalanced stuff and slower Hayabusa and of course the awesome Ayane.

However NG3 so far is pure garbage to be honest and why I don't have full controls of Hayabusa why he do stupid stuff like walking when I don't want that, levels are bad and enemies are the same over and over,Also iirc the camera was better in Sigma 2, why it's like NG1 here? I just don't want to play more of this.

Hope they redo the entire thing for Sigma 3(well.. if there is a Sigma version of this) they will need to change many things but they have to do it.

Ninja Dom

Hope they redo the entire thing for Sigma 3(well.. if there is a Sigma version of this) they will need to change many things but they have to do it.
Wii U version is the next one. Razors Edge. Hopefully they update and improve the core game rather than worry about the Wii U controller implementation.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wii U version is the next one. Razors Edge. Hopefully they update and improve the core game rather than worry about the Wii U controller implementation.

Oh right I completely forgot about that one,hope they fix all the shit and clean this mess.

However NG3 so far is pure garbage to be honest and why I don't have full controls of Hayabusa why he do stupid stuff like walking when I don't want that,
Story
levels are bad
NOthing worse than NG1 or NG2 Level 3 ( island ) ... Nevermind.. Some moments are worse indeed..
and enemies are the same over and over,Also iirc the camera was better in Sigma 2, why it's like NG1 here?
Only sigma games have good camera :p
I just don't want to play more of this.

I hope for a sigma version with more "things" ..

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Story

NOthing worse than NG1 or NG2 Level 3 ( island ) ... Nevermind.. Some moments are worse indeed..

I hope for a sigma version with more "things" ..

I really don't why how anyone can fuck this up,Ninja Gaiden has the absolute best combat system ever,you don't touch that you just add more techniques and

1- Cool set of enemies and weapons
2- Levels that inspired by NG1 Hayabusa Village and NG2 tokyo.
3- Basic as shit story like saving some whore princess from a demon lizard (Hayabusa is a badass here to kill stuff we don't need to know anything other than that)

yet they fucked it up.

QTEs are super repetitive,serious lack of non human enemies, no hidden items or anything..and one ninpo and one UT ( well I have more later?) !! the hell even the freaking Izuna Drop lack the powerful "impact" of NG2/Sigma2 ,and what with the stealth parts? this is not a realistic ninja simulation,Ryu Hayabusa don't need to sneak, he fought tanks and giant huge demon monster,this is like if the Hulk will use reason and diplomacy.

Seriously was team Ninja members completely drunk during development? because it's not like a complete new studio,this is the Sigma team and they actually remade NG2 and did many right things with Sigma1/2 so they should know better than this.

Today was a very bad day for me :(

I won't call them "good" but they were better, and it's weird, because Hayashi improved the camera in Sigma1/2 to just to gave us NG1 camera again, well at least the game stay true to NG in one thing.

Veelk

Banned
It's odd that you take issue with the level design and story telling and then compare it to NG2. The story telling is not good by any means, but it's certainly more coherent and tolerable than anything in NG2.

Totally disagree. The story was as bad in quality, but now we have to endure several minute long cutscenes and even during missions, the NPC's don't shut the fuck up. The sight of seeing Ryu try to emote causes me physical pain and watching scenes like "Will you be my daddy" are flat out embarassing to watch. Compare that to NG2, where the cutscenes were barely a minute long each and pretty much amounted to "Demons over there, kill them.' is FAR more of an effeciently told story for this kind of game.

Same deal with the level design. The combat of NG2 was fantastic, but the levels were even more repetitive and uninteresting than they are here. After the fantastic original game, NG2's very linear, boring levels were a huge letdown. NG3 at least mixes up the scenery more frequently.
No way. First off, both games have the same structure, with each level being it's own level with only 1 way through them. NG3's levels as are linear as NG2's. However, NG2 has far more impressive scenery than NG3 did. Like the part where your running on a mountain side while it's raining blood. Or the Fiend Temple grounds. Even this underwater temple looks anything better that was shown in NG3, and I hated that place. But it's real atmospheric, with all the glowing blue fish flying around. What did NG3 have that was so interesting? Because I have to tell you, I only remember the most generic of environments possible.

I played through Day 1, and part way into Day 2. I really wanted to like this game. But holy shit. The fighting is so uninteresting. I just couldn't get into it. Day 1 wasn't bad, because the novelty hadn't worn off yet. But as I went through Day 2 I was just thinking, "Okay...so, that's the game I guess."

Went on vacation for a week, came back and traded my copy back to Gamestop. Picked up Ninja Gaiden II with some of my credit (since I've long since lost my original copy). Been playing that ever since, and it makes me sad to think how cool 3 could have been. I just really hope the next entry in the franchise, if it even happens, gets back on track. NG I and II made me feel badass while playing. Not so much with three, as it was mostly just button mashing, and I hardly felt like my skill was reflected in how the game responded.

Top Bottom