• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweet & Salty- ideas for glorious food combinations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what it is, but I've always loved combining sweet and salty foods/drinks. So much so, that I've considered opening up a restaurant where featured items are two or three courses of sweet to salty dishes. The KEY is to taste the sweet first, then throw in the salty bite AFTER.

Does anybody else do this? Any good combinations out there? Anybody willing to experiment?

My go-to combinations are always:

A BITE OF THIS DRENCHED IN SYRUP

BelgianWaffle.jpg

FOLLOWED BY A BITE OF THIS

Crispy_bacon_1-1-.jpg

A recent discovery for me also has been a sip or two of this

020735092729.jpg

followed by a bite of kielbasa

kielbasa.jpg

What say you gaf? I can't be alone in this.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ground black pepper and strawberries is a delicious combination.

Also chiles and chocolate.

game

Banned
Chicken and waffles.

roscoes2xd0.jpg

Chocolate covered salted potato chips.

AAAAAiXHRIwAAAAAAPbMCQ.jpg

Chocolate and bacon.

mo_L.jpg

I could go on...

Leunam

In before the oh so revolutionary fries dipped in a frosty.

As for actual contribution, mayo mixed with sriracha. Maybe a little sesame seed oil mixed in. Not sure what it was my girlfriend added to it beyond the first two ingredients.

jchap

There is an entire episode of good eats devoted to the importance of salt in sweet foods.

My favorite examples is miso-maple glazed bacon

for the younger people.
take
honey-wheat-sandwich-bread-whole-grain-sliced.jpg

put on a few slices of
crackedpeppermill.jpg

now top it with
img-thing

be sure to crunch the chips some and finish with a pinch of black pepper.

a gourmet sandwich with a nice texture.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Potato chips and ice cream as a snack will make me fat and probably die in my older years but dammit, I'm gonna ENJOY IT.

i take the bottom of a bag of triscuits. the sandy mess at the bottom. just dump that in orange gatorade.

you'll most likely get the diarrhea, but hey, it's not bad.

I NEED SOME BACON NOW. MY BODY NEEDS IT

Salt is fantastic in alot of things you wouldnt think. Just start adding it to things and watch your life change. and your heart condition and weight

beat

There is an entire episode of good eats devoted to the importance of salt in sweet foods.

My favorite examples is miso-maple glazed bacon

Yeah, I think miso and sweets (caramels, for instance) go well together. Or at least shiro miso and sweet do.

I put bacon in an apple pie I made once, but the reception was mixed at best. I think that's partly because I served it cold and that pie needed to be served hot. If anyone else wants to try, here's my thoughts: use regular bacon, not dry-cured, because you want bacon shrinkage here, and you also want thin slices, not thick. I cut them into 4" lengths, cooked them over med-low heat till quite cripsy, then patted dry on paper towels before adding to the raw pie for baking.

Strawberry ice cream and balsamic vinegar.
Balsamic vinegar goes well with vanilla ice cream too. Just remember, you want a decently syrupy balsamic. You can achieve this either by buying one* or reducing the watery (but decent tasting) supermarket balsamic to about 1/2 to 1/3 its original volume. To reduce balsamic vinegar, just consider how much you'll start with and how much you want to have at the end. Measure that final volume out in water, put that in your skillet, and now you'll know how much X mL of reduced balsamic vinegar looks like in your pan. Dump the water in the sink, then put the vinegar in the pan and reduce it over medium to low heat until you reach the desired volume.

* Bistro Blends, say. Much more affordable than a true 25 year balsamic from Italy. I'm sure there are other good brands too. But don't buy "balsamic glazes" that are thickened with cornstarch or other thickeners.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I have a favorite way of eating hotdogs that may seem kinda weird.

Hotdog on a bun + Smuckers Raspberry Jam + sauteed white onion + pickled chili peppers

I don't eat hotdogs often, but when I do that's usually how I make it. That sweet, salty, and spicy combo is awesome.

I have a favorite way of eating hotdogs that may seem kinda weird.

Hotdog on a bun + Smuckers Raspberry Jam + sauteed white onion + pickled chili peppers

I don't eat hotdogs often, but when I do that's usually how I make it. That sweet, salty, and spicy combo is awesome.

Add a bit of peanut butter to that sucker. That would be perfection.

filler

Banned
So I was just enjoying myself a slice of delicious pumpkin pie and I had an epiphany, "This might go well with some bacon." Unfortunately I have no bacon in my apartment right now, but I must try this.

beat

Huy Fong (also makes the most popular sriracha in America) makes a 'chili garlic' sauce. Mix about equal volumes of that and regular sugar for a sweet chili garlic sauce that's terrific with chicken.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ONE OF THESE:

200px-RitzCrackers.jpg

PLUS THIS:

crunchy-peanut-butter-10.jpg

(push a little hole into the center of the peanut butter)

then, ADD THIS:

31NxEpg8nhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

top with one of these:

AmericanCheese.jpg

Finally, close the peanutbutter-tabasco-cheese-cracker sandwich with another one of these:

200px-RitzCrackers.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom