• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
How would a non-white person be treated while visiting southern Brazil? I've heard that racial politics are really complicated for you guys. I want to visit Salvador at some point as well.

Unfortunately many here are hardcore racists - but mainly towards Brazilians from the northern regions. From my perspective, tourists are usually treated well regardless of color - specially in Rio and Salvador.

Aku-Audi

Hahaha, this post is the perfect lead-up to the final line.

O mundo inteirinho se enche de graça, e fica mais lindo por causa do coxinha.

Unfortunately many here are hardcore racists - but mainly towards Brazilians from the northern regions. From my perspective, tourists are usually treated well regardless of color - specially in Rio and Salvador.

Actually when I lived there, I faced a surprising amount of "racism" of sorts from certain people (mostly from Osasco), since I was so Nordic white and blonde with a reddish hue. It wasn't severe, but I was frozen out by some groups for sure because of me being foreign, unless they thought I had tons of money.

red13th

How would a non-white person be treated while visiting southern Brazil? I've heard that racial politics are really complicated for you guys. I want to visit Salvador at some point as well.

I think as a tourist you will be okay, regardless of your race. Just be weary not to get ripped off too bad (you will be ripped off somehow, hope it's not too bad). I think it must be some sort of Latin tradition cause we get ripped off big time in Argentina.

Brazil

Actually when I lived there, I faced a surprising amount of "racism" of sorts from certain people (mostly from Osasco), since I was so Nordic white and blonde with a reddish hue. It wasn't severe, but I was frozen out by some groups for sure because of me being foreign, unless they thought I had tons of money.

I think in the case of the population of places like Osasco, for example, what happens is that they're simply not used to dealing with foreign, different-looking people. It's not actually racism - only basic ignorance. Not unlike what you see in the central states of the US or some Asian or African countries, most of the inhabitants of such regions can live their entire lives without ever having to properly interact with foreigners.

I may be wrong, of course. But this definitely isn't a problem in cities like Rio, where everyone's used to seeing and interacting with foreign people.

Mobius 1

Glad to finally see this thread get made.

As mentioned in the other Brazil thread, I am born and raised in Norway but at 19 I decided to travel and ended up in Sao Paulo for a few years, living in Itaim and trying to learn Portuguese and live among my new Brazilian brothers and sisters, which was quite a challenge considering the culture clash, however I learned a lot about being open, approaching life with excitement and being positive from living there.

It's been many years since I lived there now, as I left in 2008, but I still consider it something of a home, and I still feel very close to Brazilian people. Most of all I miss coxinhas.

Oh man I'm dying here when you ended the post with coxinhas.

Digoman

Another brazillian reporting in!

While we do have a certain amount of problems in this area over here, it is, as Brazil wrote, more about the region of the country you are from. It certainly is a lot better today then it was a decade or two ago (at least in my experience). I don't think a tourist should have any problem.

OP seriously needs some brigadeiro in the food section.

One of my childhood memories when I was 9 years old (so.. a looong time ago) and spending 6 months in the US, is giving those for my classmates on my birthday. My mother had to give a lot of copies of the recipe that day.

There is racism here, but not so much, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Aku-Audi

I think in the case of the population of places like Osasco, for example, what happens is that they're simply not used to dealing with foreign, different-looking people. It's not actually racism - only basic ignorance. Not unlike what you see in the central states of the US or some Asian or African countries, most of the inhabitants of such regions can live their entire lives without ever having to properly interact with foreigners.

I may be wrong, of course. But this definitely isn't a problem in cities like Rio, where everyone's used to seeing and interacting with foreign people.

Oh I totally get what you are saying but at least the people that frequented around my friend circle really despised foreigners. At the time, Brazil was rapidly expanding their foreign relations due to ethanol exporting, so I remember a lot of the news revolved around lucrative contracts for foreigners and little improvement (at the time) for the general paulistas. Piracicaba was more ignorant towards foreigners, though I actually had some of my best times there, incredibly friendly city.

Brazil

Oh I totally get what you are saying but at least the people that frequented around my friend circle really despised foreigners. At the time, Brazil was rapidly expanding their foreign relations due to ethanol exporting, so I remember a lot of the news revolved around lucrative contracts for foreigners and little improvement (at the time) for the general paulistas. Piracicaba was more ignorant towards foreigners, though I actually had some of my best times there, incredibly friendly city.

I see. Well, I'm glad you had a good time despite such issues.

And, yeah, haha. I have a lot of good friends from Pira. They're usually pretty great people.

Aku-Audi

Yeah, I already made that suggestion to the OP, there is a plenty of good musicians here that deserves attention.

Alright, just keep favella funk the fuck out of here.

I really enjoyed listening to Cássia Eller and Lenine back in the day. Eller passed away, right?

abuC

I'm about 75% sure I'll be visiting Brazil in the next few months, will check out Rio and Salvador.

Ezalc

Something you might want to add is famous expat areas. Once example, that I know of is the Ironbound section in Newark, NJ. I bet you there are alot more, and it's probably the best chance to sample Brazilian Cuisine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironbound

I lived near here when I was in the US, they have this place called Hamburgão that has some awesome burgers.

Oh this reminds me my pet peeve with you people.

My Brazilian friends, you are awesome and have beyond amazing bodies, why the hell do you ruin them with terrible tattoos? why? Even old people have tattoos, and they are horrible.

A lot of women get them to represent some bond they have with their mothers. Usually it's something really dumb looking like the infinity symbol on their wrist or foot. Though one got like a half shaded in Nordic symbol on the back of her neck and her mom got the same one with the other half shaded in. I personally really dislike tattoos and never want one.

Would love to go, everytime i've met a Brazilian they've been awesome, friendly people! And they've all mentioned to me (i'm Italian) that they got tons of Italians there, more than Argentina (as if it was something to be proud about, lol).

btw, what kind of effect had the italian immigration on brazil's culture, if anything?

You should definitely come visit man it's awesome here! There are a lot of Italians where I live, there's even a neighborhood that is called Santa Felicidade (Felicita) that has A LOT of Italian restaurants and shops. I also have Italian heritage and I've been wanting to visit some of my aunts in Italy.

Oh I forgot, checking in from Curitiba. I believe Luu is from here as well?

abuC

Thanks for the advice guys, I feel a bit less apprehensive now.

Are you black?

Im Half Cuban/Black, I think I'll fit in some areas, and stand out in some others, especially since Im a fairly big guy (6"1 231lbs). From what I've seen, I can pass for just about anything in Latin America, there's at-least one person in everyones family down there that kind of looks like me.

cousins

Are you black?

Im Half Cuban/Black, I think I'll fit in some areas, and stand out in some others, especially since Im a fairly big guy (6"1 231lbs). From what I've seen, I can pass for just about anything in Latin America, there's at-least one person in everyones family down there that kind of looks like me.

I'm 100% Navajo (American Indian).

Are you black?

White Cuban? I think they'd consider you mulatto in Brazil, although I'm not sure how that relates to how you're treated.

abuC

I'm 100% Navajo (American Indian).

White Cuban? I think they'd consider you mulatto in Brazil, although I'm not sure how that relates to how you're treated.

That's pretty cool, when are you going?

Afro-Cuban, and my mom is a "redbone" black woman, she has white mixed in her somewhere.

Ezalc

I don't think there's a problem at all with foreigners people here in the south. My city has a lot of different cultures in it, from Polish to Ukrainians to Japanese there are fewer black people in the south of the country but they still make up a big part of the population here. I don't think anybody will have anything to worry about if they visit here. I have an aunt who married an American who is basically like how Aku-Audi described himself blonde, light colored eyes, pink-ish skin color and he loves it here and as far as I know he hasn't had a problem. Oh but beware that they will call you a gringo regardless of where you are from. Lord knows I get called that because I spent most of my life in the US rather than Brazil.

cousins

That's pretty cool, when are you going?

Afro-Cuban, and my mom is a "redbone" black woman, she has white mixed in her somewhere.

I'm looking at study abroad programs at the Universidade Federal da Bahia. I would be going either this coming spring or next summer. I want to visit Rio while I'm in the country, too.

abuC

I'm looking at study abroad programs at the Universidade Federal da Bahia. I would be going either this coming spring or next summer. I want to visit Rio while I'm in the country, too.

Ahhh, that is awesome man, I wish I could stay as long as you'll get to. You might not want to come back lol.

I'd like to do Rio and Salvador.

Yeah, the south isn't really that racist. They are a bit (old people and dumb youngsters, mostly) separatists so they are a tad wary of people north of them.
But if you want a nice back massage, or maybe even more, just tell them you are argentinian.

Still love you south <3

vinicius

Neo Member
I live in a city near rio (4h by car), my dad lives there with my brothers and a big part of my family too. I don't really like it, lol, and I fucking hate the accent. And the carioca lifestyle in general, I guess it's because of ripping off tourist but most of them are the scoundrel type, like they're smarter than the next guy.

My girlfriend lives in João Pessoa/Paraíba - I guess it's near Salvador so you guys can locate it -, and I cross the country at least six times a year (she comes here the other six). God, the place is so nice to be <3 plus her home is really close to the beach so it's not very hot and anytime we feel like it we just go out and take a walk on the promenade (not sure about that word) while having a beer. Just talking about it makes me feel saudade. :(

(I want to check how many of you guys know the word, I heard it's kind of popular out there)

Platy

Originally from Campinas, been living in Florida for the last 13 years though.

I was born in Campinas and lived all my life here.

oh wait .. yes ...

Campinas GAF Represent !
...you know .. the UNICAMP place ?
...Sandy's birthplace ?

=/

I said in the other thread I'd post some music that's not Funk Carioca or Sertanejo Universitário, so here are some of my favorites with samples. I'm always curious about how these sound to people who don't understand the language because the lyrics are a big part of why I enjoy them, even if they all sound good to me regardless. Jay Vaquer in particular has some amazing lyrics.

There are more, obviously. I was going to post some Tom Jobim too but everyone knows him. Also going to throw in Preta Gil's new single Sou Como Sou because I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it and it has a nice message.

A BrazilGAF with a music part without Chico Buarque is UNACEPTABLE !

Construção
Roda Viva
Calice

And i'm not even a HUGE fan of his work ... but the dude is by far the best lyric writer in the history of the portuguese language.

What he does with the language in Construção is just .... insanity.

LuuKyK

I was born in Campinas and lived all my life here.

oh wait .. yes ...

Campinas GAF Represent !
...you know .. the UNICAMP place ?
...Sandy's birthplace ?

=/

A BrazilGAF with a music part without Chico Buarque is UNACEPTABLE !

Construção
Roda Viva
Calice

And i'm not even a HUGE fan of his work ... but the dude is by far the best lyric writer in the history of the portuguese language.

What he does with the language in Construção is just .... insanity.

Indeed. Added to the OP. :)

mantidor

so is Sergio Mendes not liked? he is internationally famous and for my "Garota de Ipanema" or "Magalenha" are Brasil, but very few brasilians even mention him. is like grandpas music for you guys?

Ezalc

Gonna have to do a meet up and play some sinuca or something one of these days man!

Thank you!

EDIT

1. How can a foreigner invest - make a business in Brazil?
2. What does everyone think of Globo?

1. Come in with a lot of capital and probably try to invest in something to do with imports.
2. I don't watch any Brazilian TV besides when the national team plays soccer or when a Brazilian fights in the UFC. Globo tends to be terrible though.

EDIT: Luu add in sfirra to the OP!

LuuKyK

Am I the only one ashamed of the brazilian performance on the Olympics? Such a big country. I just feel like people are not patriotic enough here. :/ It will be a mess on 2016, bet on it.

EDIT: Luu add in sfirra to the OP!

Isn't it arabic food? :X

Ezalc

Am I the only one ashamed of the brazilian performance on the Olympics? Such a big country. I just feel like people are not patriotic enough here. :/ It will be a mess on 2016, bet on it.

Isn't it arabic food? :X

Honestly I do think that Brazil hasn't been doing all that great in the olympics but I think the country has more things to worry about than the games right now.

Yes, but it's still awesome! and I know a great place in Ponta Grossa.

Aku-Audi

I really hate soccer*. Not much of a sports guy.

* Never tell Brazilians you hate soccer right after they lose to France in the World Cup...

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I'm from Brasília! Hope to help you all! I really like it here, mostly because it's a planned city and everything is very close. We also have a growing gaming market!
I'm also currently in Brasília, and I recently moved here from Portugal. Maybe you could share some good places for buying games? All I know about are the small stores at Feira dos Importados.

red13th

Football, yes. Go Broncos!

I'm also currently in Brasília, and I recently moved here from Portugal. Maybe you could share some good places for buying games? All I know about are the small stores at Feira dos Importados.

Buy them online and pray you don't get taxed.

Top Bottom