• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microgenres

I like this thread. I'll try: Top-down Cooperative Games That Go Horribly Wrong And Destroy Friendships

Magicka 1, and I assume Magicka 2:
ss_7d7b84d5c1980ed6f232qe4.jpg

Overcooked:
2872665-overcooked5trg0.jpg

The Adventures of Cookie and Cream definitely qualifies.

hqdefault.jpg

Also, Japanese dungeon crawling shooters set in some sort of robotic suit

Iron Angel of the Apocalypse (and sequel)

ironangel-1.png

Kileak: The DNA Imperatives (and sequels) (only noticed it was in the quoted post after the fact, doh. Though it's worth noting Brahma Force is a spiritual sequel to Kileak)

hqdefault.jpg

Robotica

Robotica%20-%20Cybernation%20Revolt%20(E).png

Rengoku Tower of Purgatory (and sequel)

s25748_psp_1.jpg

Space Griffon VF-9

playstation-35032-31316033373.jpg

I love this thread because I found out about A Dark Room through here. I just finished it and wow what an experience. I legitimately felt like I went on a journey even though it was all text based.

Any more games like these, particularly on mobile?

mclem

The oldest game I remember in this genre is probably Kikstart (1985):
DpPRgMt.gif

You could probably form an argument that 1983's Wheelie is an ancestor, too. A few differences (for one it's not strictly time trial, as such, but when you reach the end there's a 'ghost' who you have to race back to the start), but you can see key similarities.

4Xutpji.png

Qwark

Neat topic, I got 1. Games that use other media to generate content.

I can think of
Monster Rancher
VibRibbon
Kickbeat
Audiosurf

There's probably more music generated games.

Games where you don't know what the fuck you must do and google doesn't help because no one played the game

VpDQLTU.png

You reference an unknown game, then post a screenshot with no title? Shame on you! Booooo!

How many games like Mario Kart are there that are good?

Sonic Racing Transformed, Blur and BlazeRush.

Modnation would have been good if the framerate was better on the cool levels you could download and the loading times weren't so bad.

And that's it.

Maybe CTR if we're going way back.

Diddy Kong Racing, son.

mclem

lol, I knew I forgot something

Ah, good call.

Games where you program the AI of a killer robot you have no direct control over

Breeder

bre02.gif

Carnage Heart (and sequels)

fuaR4f5.jpg

Armored Core Formula Front (original Japanese release did not have direct control option)

ulus-10034-game-ss-3

There's a few games in this category that are pure programming challenges (as in you're actually feeding traditionally-developed source code into an engine that plays out the battle). There's Robocode, and I'm sure there's a non-language-specific one out there somewhere, but the name escapes me.

Edit: RobotWar is almost certainly the earliest example, originating in the 1970s!

Phediuk

Underwater Exploration

Aquanaut's Holiday

Aquanaut's Holiday 2

whaleshark.jpg

Everblue / Everblue 2

playstation-43832-61336873627.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

U: Underwater Unit / Sub Rebellion

subrebellion_081502_35.jpg

Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories

Endless Ocean/Endless Ocean: Blue World

Abzu

And Treasures of the Deep.

1337350563_deepscreen3.jpg

Glowsquid

There's a few games in this category that are pure programming challenges (as in you're actually feeding traditionally-developed source code into an engine that plays out the battle). There's Robocode, and I'm sure there's a non-language-specific one out there somewhere, but the name escapes me.

Edit: RobotWar is almost certainly the earliest example, originating in the 1970s!

Learning about stuff like this is why I love this thread.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You could probably form an argument that 1983's Wheelie is an ancestor, too. A few differences (for one it's not strictly time trial, as such, but when you reach the end there's a 'ghost' who you have to race back to the start), but you can see key similarities.

4Xutpji.png

Also dare devil Dennis and I think there may have been an Eddie Kidd game?

Dr.Social

Banned
The "I'm the guy watching a girl through camera and helping her get through the crisis by manipulating enviorement and giving hints" genre :)

Lifeline

nUHUpaO.jpg

Night Trap

L9T8XLK.png

I never realized there were so many of these

Neat topic, I got 1. Games that use other media to generate content.

!

Dragon Seeds (It's a Monster Rancher Rip off that uses memory card saves instead of discs)

jFM0pwt.jpg

Barcode Battler

8UM54AO.jpg

Accoun

It's not battling, but Colobot is a game where you program robots in an (apparently) C++/Java-like language and colonize planets with them, automating resource gathering, production, etc.

Qwark

It's not battling, but Colobot is a game where you program robots in an (apparently) C++/Java-like language and colonize planets with them, automating resource gathering, production, etc.

Another similar one is Screeps. Where you use a programming language in an RTS style game, which then runs autonomously while you're offline. You can battle other 'kingdoms' too, it's pretty neat.

Core War

Valahart

Super Smash Bros. is like its own genre, which is mostly itself, Playstation All-Stars, and other D-tier knockoffs like Cartoon Network, TMNT, and the Wii Force Unleashed 2 game. Party fighter? Brawler? I dunno.

Pikmin is some sort of genre, like halfway between an RTS and some squad based thing, which I could maybe group Little King's Story on the Wii with.

I like the name "platform fighters" for those. Please check out Rivals of Aether if you like the genre. It's SO GOOD.

Valahart

Mansion games:
Games that take place primarily exploring one house.

Maniac Mansion

Resident Evil 1 (and 7 to some extent)

Gone Home

Please name some others, I tend to love them.

Chibi-Robo

Luigi's Mansion (finally found a genre to describe it)

Spectone

The "I'm the guy watching a girl through camera and helping her get through the crisis by manipulating enviorement and giving hints" genre :)

An interesting twist on this is the 1989 game Interphase. Where the girl breaks into a building (presented as 2D map of floors) while you hack into the buildings computers (presented as a kind of 3D shooter).

422223-a_190_006.jpg

interphase_7.png

Phediuk

First-person shooters where you're ostensibly in a ship but it's really just like Doom except you can move in 360 degrees on six axes and it makes you want to hurl

Descent

Terminal Velocity

Forsaken

Here's one more:

Radix: Beyond the Void
81448-radix-beyond-the-void-screenshot.jpg

mclem

Games where you program the AI of a killer robot you have no direct control over

Just to return to this, the game I had in mind at the end here was Core War, but it's actually - in hindsight - a little different from what was described, although similar in spirit.

In Core War, your fighting unit is the program itself, and the arena is the memory space the program resides in - with both programs loaded into the same approximate area, the objective is to then have your program literally kill the other program by forcing it to terminate (which happens when it executes an invalid instruction) by leading its execution pointer into dangerous memory

Edit: Here is a blog that may explain things better.

gfxtwin

Typing based action games:

Typing of the Dead:

totd6.jpg

Ninja Cat and Zombie Dinosaurs:

ninjacat_screen1.png

BattleType:

battle%20type%20610.jpg

2D Minimalist action/adventure/platformers with focus on high-quality presentation + fluid animations:

Original Prince of Persia:

prince-persia2.jpg

Another World:

Another-World-android.jpg

Flashback:

flashback01.jpg

gfxtwin

Underwater Exploration

Aquanaut's Holiday

Aquanaut's Holiday 2

whaleshark.jpg

Everblue / Everblue 2

playstation-43832-61336873627.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

U: Underwater Unit / Sub Rebellion

subrebellion_081502_35.jpg

Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories

Endless Ocean/Endless Ocean: Blue World

Abzu

Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future

ecco_the_dolphin_defender_of_the_future_004.jpg

ecco_the_dolphin_defender_of_the_future_002.jpg

ecco_review_inline_01.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

278267-ecco-the-dolphin-defender-of-the-future-dreamcast-screenshot.png

hqdefault.jpg

0f0411055c0b9cfba9c93b7fe6258dc6.jpg

278279-ecco-the-dolphin-defender-of-the-future-dreamcast-screenshot.png

Evilisk

Fighter plane racing games

Freaky Flyers (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)

Never owned this, but I played the hell out of the PlayStation magazine demo

3D platformer racers

I think these may count.

Gekisou Tomarunner (PS1)

And Gekitotsu Toma L'Arc, the licensed sequel featuring some famous Japanese band. Also for PS1

Never played these, and I believe they're Japanese only

I'm not sure if this would count (I've never played this before, and it's a Japanese only title) but the camera POV premise seems to fit

Surveillance Kanshisha (PS2)

duckroll

I'm not sure if this would count (I've never played this before, and it's a Japanese only title) but the camera POV premise seems to fit

Surveillance Kanshisha (PS2)

You're not watching a girl in particular in the game, but rather you're the operator for the mission while your entire team is out. You swap between security cameras and scan/tag suspicious stuff to prevent bad ends. It's a pretty good game, but it doesn't fit the exact description.

mclem

That reminds me one of such mini genres is underwhater scif-fi combat sims, bassicaly like space-sims, but with submarines. Examples:

While it was cancelled, so we can't be too sure how it would have ended up, it was looking like Bullfrog's Creation would have been of that nature.

Raitaro

Cool topic!

Not sure if mentioned and/or fully applicable but one microgenre (or rather: game motif) could be games where the sense of scale gets increased without the core mechanics really changing in tandem, i.e. games in which you for example start to play around with small, everyday objects but end with things on a galactic level.

I can't easily post screens on this device but the recent Everything on PS4 is a good example of this, as is Trash Panic on PS4. A more famous example, of course, is the Katamary Damacy series but I'm sure there are others as well.

Another microgenre or game motif are platformers where you control a (temporary) small character traversing through worlds filled with giant everyday items. Chip 'n Dale 1 and 2 are good examples of this, as is Giant Land in Super Mario Bros. 3, that toy world in Castle of Illusion, or Monster in my Pocket on NES. There are sure to be countless others.

mclem

Another microgenre or game motif are platformers where you control a (temporary) small character traversing through worlds filled with giant everyday items. Chip 'n Dale 1 and 2 are good examples of this, as is Giant Land in Super Mario Bros. 3, that toy world in Castle of Illusion, or Monster in my Pocket on NES. There are sure to be countless others.

Harley's Humongous Adventure
mXNf0cy.jpg

And while they're not platformers, in spirit, at least, you'd probably have a reasonable argument that the whole Micro Machines family is a member

zgHQg4E.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Harley's Humongous Adventure
mXNf0cy.jpg

And while they're not platformers, in spirit, at least, you'd probably have a reasonable argument that the whole Micro Machines family is a member

zgHQg4E.gif

and if not, they can have their own 'tiny racers' section, along with

- Motorstorm RC
- RC Pro-am
- Re-volt

Glowsquid

Futuristic ball-in-net sport games set in vehicles

Ballblazer (and its sequel Ballblazer Champions)

Ballblazer.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

Space Football

maxresdefault.jpg

BattleSport

playstation-32341-11315024166.jpg

Rocket League

Platy

Line-based puzzle games where you reveal pictures of naked women

In the 1990s there were games based on Qix, but where you had to reveal pictures of naked women.

Never actually played one.

http://wiki.selectbutton.net/genre:qix-alikes

Reminds me of a Saturn game that a collector friend showed me once whose genre could only be described as strip rock-paper-scissors. Only remember that it had Yakuken in the name and it was hard as hell since it was basically random. And that it was a really bad game, even if the early 90's softcore FMV gave a good laugh

Top Bottom