• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends Wii U Challenge Mode eShop in April

Vidiot

So, let me work this one out a loud...

The Wii U Game is done.

The Wii U has no install base.

Ubisoft didn't want the game to bomb, so they decide to port it to PS3/360.

Ubisoft wants to consolidate marketing resources so it delays Wii U Version to the fall to market all three platforms at once.

Ubisoft rips a mode out and releases it as a stand alone game for Wii U owners to placate them.

... Sound right?

Dinosaurs eat man, woman inherits the earth.

JoeFu

Banned
I just realized how terrible my title was for this thread. That's what I get for typing fast and making a thread while kinda hyped after watching that video.

NotLiquid

I will say it's great of the developers to go above and beyond when the Ubi PR said it was just going to be merely another demo, so I'm happy they're able to make with what they got. For that I respect them and I look forward to trying this out, it's nice to see a developer actually reach out to the fans like this considering the venom. At this point I truly hope they won't get flack for going by making this particular release.

Thanks, Ancel and crew. Keep on trucking.

Broken Logic

Neo Member
Okay... now this just make no sense to me. We get this free. Who's going to buy the game then? It's a lot for free, sure, but it's still essentially what we we're going to get. I'm happy about it, but it doesn't stop me from feeling like I don't need to buy it anymore. Like, this isn't an overall positive, just a slide back towards to neutral, you know? This would have been great if we got it as an enticement before the February release, but using it as a tide over to September means that people will have a long time enjoy it and may have their full before the new September release.

I'm just wondering, what is going on in Ubi's heads. Do they want our money or not? Have they just said "Bugger it. We'll just give the Wii U owners it for free. I doubt we'll make money off them, anyway"? I'm so confused.

V_Ben

Banned
Well, I guess that's a nice gesture. I wonder if they already had months of challenges qued up with the game's original release date in mind, so they're just going to stick with that plan. Either way, cool stuff. I'll download that for sure.

VanWinkle

Very cool. It's clear the dev team was upset by the delay, and it's nice that they at least get to release SOMETHING soon.

bon

Interesting marketing going on here. Giving a whole mode away for free is pretty drastic. Hopefully it all works out, I don't want this game to bomb.

Alcibiades

This is a nice gesture but the game is still going to be sandwiched between Nintendo's summer lineup and the traditional fall onslaught of games. I think the best chance this has is to release at $40 to entice gamers that would otherwise skip this because they are waiting for the inevitable bargain bin price at twenty bucks. I think the opportunity for a potential sleeper hit at $60 is nearly passed at this point.

So... did Wii U owner actually win on this one?

Rayman got delayed but now has more content (in theory), we get a free, continually updated challenge mode in the meantime, and now get Watch Dogs as well?

Sciz

Okay... now this just make no sense to me. We get this free. Who's going to buy the game then? It's a lot for free, sure, but it's still essentially what we we're going to get. I'm happy about it, but it doesn't stop me from feeling like I don't need to buy it anymore. Like, this isn't an overall positive, just a slide back towards to neutral, you know? This would have been great if we got it as an enticement before the February release, but using it as a tide over to September means that people will have a long time enjoy it and may have their full before the new September release.

Giving away large chunks of content for free worked for the shareware model, back in the day. They'll rope in plenty of people who wouldn't have otherwise tried the game, and making the online content available encourages people to keep competing and talking about it during the following months.

Servbot24

Banned
So is everyone still going to boycott this game in an effort to bring down the innocent developer for the sole purpose of sending a message to Ubi (which they will interpret as "only Assassin's Creed games from now on")?

Just kidding.

But not really. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I'm just wondering, what is going on in Ubi's heads. Do they want our money or not? Have they just said "Bugger it. We'll just give the Wii U owners it for free. I doubt we'll make money off them, anyway"? I'm so confused.

If you pay attention to the video, the challenge mode is very clearly a constrained mode that doesn't feature normal platforming stages, just automatic-runner type stages. It'd be like if Nintendo released the NSMBU Challenge mode separately; cool, and all, but it's not the main game and I'm not sure why it would change your purchase intent.

i dont even know what you people are angry about now

-Game was announced as a Wii-U Exclusive
-Game was supposed to launch with Wii-U
-Game was pushed back to 1st quarter after console launched. Many people including myself were disappointed but still planning on buying it.
-Ubi announces the games is now releasing in additional platforms later in 2013.
-Wii U game is complete
-Wii U game pushed back to release with the PS3 and 360 version.
-Ubi apologizes with demo

For me basically the momentum and excitement to play is just gone. Too much bs.

NotLiquid

So is everyone still going to boycott this game in an effort to bring down the innocent developer for the sole purpose of sending a message to Ubi (which they will interpret as "only Assassin's Creed games from now on")?

I wouldn't say I'd "boycott" it but I'd still say the chances are slim of me ever getting it on launch day anymore. There's no saying how much money I'll have then and what games will be out.

Sandfox

Ubisoft handled the situation poorly and should've announced the other versions earlier so this is nice I guess.

The Wii U Game is done.

Ubisoft wants to consolidate marketing resources so it delays Wii U Version to the fall to market all three platforms at once.

Ubisoft rips a mode out and releases it as a stand alone game for Wii U owners to placate them.

... Sound right?

Ubisoft is not going to market this game lol.

Question, does the current demo have any play limits? The kiosk demo is unlimited obviously but has a 12 minute limit.

I'm certain other demos have play number limits ala 3DS, I just don't remember for Rayman.

Servbot24

Banned
I wouldn't say I'd "boycott" it but I'd still say the chances are slim of me ever getting it on launch day anymore. There's no saying how much money I'll have then and what games will be out.

You should just hide away the $60 you were going to spend this month and then pull it out when it finally releases. Even if you don't have time to play it right away, you'll be supporting the developer. :)

RaidenZR

I won't balk at something for free, but it just makes the original decision to delay the WiiU version of the game all the more confounding.

Does anyone have any idea what the challenge mode actually is in context of the regular game?

Schnozberry

Seems like the dev crew are really trying to reach out and give something to fans who were disappointed. It wasn't their call to delay, but this seems like a lot of content to give away for free, and should hopefully keep people sated until the full game drops. The daily challenges look like a blast.

Broken Logic

Neo Member
Giving away large chunks of content for free worked for the shareware model, back in the day. They'll rope in plenty of people who wouldn't have otherwise tried the game, and making the online content available encourages people to keep competing and talking about it during the following months.

This wouldn't be a bad idea, but it would work much better if the game was out so people who were drawn in by the freebie could actually buy it immediately and support the model with impulsive sales. I guess we'll have to see if the mode will be engaging enough to keep a grip on users till the release. I'm just worried that Wii U owners will be blamed if the game, which has be said numerous times to be being released in a pretty heavy time frame, bombs. It'll look even worse because we got the "exclusive" mode release "early".

TimmiT

The Wii U Game is done.

... Sound right?
It sounds like you didn't watch the video. For others that haven't:

- They're making more levels, bosses etc. for the game, they are not just sitting on a finished game.
- The challenge mode is being made after the game was delayed and is exclusive to the Wii U eShop. It will be released for free and will get weekly updates.

Schnozberry

I won't balk at something for free, but it just makes the original decision to delay the WiiU version of the game all the more confounding.

Does anyone have any idea what the challenge mode actually is in context of the regular game?

It will be in the full version as well. They explained that it's daily and weekly challenge levels with online leaderboards and up to 5 players.

Madouu

Did the Luigis Mansion 2 delay kill your interest in that title too? Stuff gets delayed all the time, shit happens man.

Stuff usually gets delayed because stuff isn't ready. In this case, Stuff is ready but gets delayed for solely business reasons (valid or not). Man is disappointed.

I think you can make the effort of showing some empathy to the people that were looking forward to play the game.

With that said, cool gesture from the devs.

Daknight

This is nice! My wife was sad about the delay since she loved the demo. Between this and watch dog rumor, I am not mad at ubi anymore :p ...
still that zombiU ending. There is no forgiving! I didn't get delivere the vaccine :'(

Still...budget is going to be tight september for this game along the other release :(

Did the Luigis Mansion 2 delay kill your interest in that title too? Stuff gets delayed all the time, shit happens man.

Except most delays are so that a title can be finished.

The Wii U game is actually done, and ready to go, but Ubisoft is delaying it for seven months so it can release at the same time on the PS3 and 360. This was announced mere weeks before release.

Gamers aren't happy because they've been looking forward to this game for a while, the developers weren't happy because they had been doing crunch time to get the game ready, only to be told at the last minute "you got seven months, lol," and Rayman fans are rightfully worried that it'll be overlooked in September when GTAV hits.

It sounds like you didn't watch the video. For others that haven't:

- They're making more levels, bosses etc. for the game, they are not just sitting on a finished game.
- The challenge mode is being made after the game was delayed and is exclusive to the Wii U eShop. It will be released for free and will get weekly updates.

It is not exclusive to the Wii U eShop; it will be in the final game, but for now only it will be available on the eShop; apparently only one type of the challenge is exclusive to the Wii U

---
Also, this one apparently doesn't have any limit; at the end of the video they say 'play it for free for countless hours'.

Effect

Ubisoft handled the situation poorly and should've announced the other versions earlier so this is nice I guess.

Ubisoft is not going to market this game lol.

Seriously. I don't see how anyone can honestly think Ubisoft is actually going to market the game. They themselves are going to have big fall releases. Those games are getting their marketing money. No money is going to go towards Rayman Legends. They aren't doing this to save marketing money they're never going to spend. Now had they released the Wii U version they possibly could have gotten money or a push from Nintendo on the marketing front as there was nothing else coming and they aren't doing anything else anyway. No one should fall for the idea that they are pushing it back to market all versions at once. That's not happening at all.

If there is a new Assassin's Creed this fall Ubisoft won't even acknowledge this game's existence.

Frodo

Very nice, but I wonder how will it affect the Wii U sales of the game. Do you think that people would pay for the full game after playing the challenges for 5/6 months?!

Mileena

Banned
Except most delays are so that a title can be finished.

The Wii U game is actually done, and ready to go, but Ubisoft is delaying it for seven months so it can release at the same time on the PS3 and 360. This was announced mere weeks before release.

Gamers aren't happy because they've been looking forward to this game for a while, the developers weren't happy because they had been doing crunch time to get the game ready, only to be told at the last minute "you got seven months, lol," and Rayman fans are rightfully worried that it'll be overlooked in September when GTAV hits.

Then Rayman fans need to buy the game when it comes out. Boycotting isn't going to help your case. It's some backward ass logic.

Top Bottom