• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Banner Saga Kickstarter project by Stoic [Ended, 723K funded]

I love how you can continuously spout stuff like this, despite contrary evidence.

I have never once said that I believe there shouldn't be a Linux port so fight the good fight elsewhere, thanks.

Uhh, what? Has no one ever played a game that was designed with both consoles and PC in mind? There are always corners cut and things changed for the worse on the PC version in order to accommodate consoles. An example would that the UI will be changed so that it will work best with a controller when you're sitting 15 feet away from a TV. There are tons of other things.

You can look at almost any game that is released on both consoles and PC and see how the PC version was negatively affected by the console release. Skyrim, Dragon Age, you name it. No one can say that the default UI of Skyrim/Dragon Age 2/Fallout 3 is optimal for a mouse and keyboard; it's very awkward and designed for being used with a controller while sitting on a couch.

Of course it's good for console players, but it's not good for PC players, AKA the people that have already donated toward it.
This is a turn based strategy game. What exactly do you envision being ruined for you?

You're doing it now, and you did it in your "misusing funds" thread. Continuously.

No, that's you lacking reading comprehension and dragging baggage from other threads in here. I was arguing against the ludicrous and empirically disprovable claim that backers have no right to complain about what Kickstarter funds are used for; they do have that right, they exercise it frequently, and they often get their way on top of it all. Now are we talking about The Banner Saga or is this now about the Linuxquisition?

zoku88

No, that's you lacking reading comprehension and dragging baggage from other threads in here. I was arguing against the ludicrous and empirically disprovable claim that backers have no right to complain about what Kickstarter funds are used for; they do have that right, and they exercise it frequently and often get their way on top of it all. Now are we talking about The Banner Saga or is this now about the Linuxquisition?

Uhm, I'm not talking about the reason you opened. I'm talking about what you just said now and specific arguments you've said before. (which I already said...) Even if that other thread didn't exist, I would have still objected to your comment...

If you don't want people to respond to specific parts of your post, you shouldn't post them in the first place.

Uhh, what? Has no one ever played a game that was designed with both consoles and PC in mind? There are always corners cut and things changed for the worse on the PC version in order to accommodate consoles. An example would that the UI will be changed so that it will work best with a controller when you're sitting 15 feet away from a TV. There are tons of other things.

You can look at almost any game that is released on both consoles and PC and see how the PC version was negatively affected by the console release. Skyrim, Dragon Age, you name it. No one can say that the default UI of Skyrim/Dragon Age 2/Fallout 3 is optimal for a mouse and keyboard; it's very awkward and designed for being used with a controller while sitting on a couch.

Of course it's good for console players, but it's not good for PC players, AKA the people that have already donated toward it.
You're assuming that that they would design this as a "any platform game" rather than a computer game.

ZoddGutts

Ugh not this shit again. We get it, you've already made your opinions clear on this matter, move on folks. Anyways, 91k left.

Uhm, I'm not talking about the reason you opened. I'm talking about what you just said now and specific arguments you've said before. (which I already said...) Even if that other thread didn't exist, I would have still objected to your comment...

If you don't want people to respond to specific parts of your post, you shouldn't post them in the first place.

I was pointing out that stabwound never complained when the game was ported to Linux and iPad but was suddenly throwing a fit over console ports, something that did not make sense to me. You chose to hone in on the Linux line and use it as an opportunity to misrepresent my posts in a different thread. If you didn't want to get called out on your thread derail, you could have kept the discussion topical.

zoku88

I was pointing out that stabwound never complained when the game was ported to Linux and iPad but was suddenly throwing a fit over console ports, something that did not make sense to me. You chose to hone in on the Linux line and use it as an opportunity to misrepresent my posts in a different thread. If you didn't want to get called out on your thread derail, you could have kept the discussion topical.

Gee, I wonder why I honed in on your Linux line...nothing to do with the way you phrased it, I bet. It's not.. you know.. potentially offensive in any way. Being marginalized, I mean...

I'm not sure why you think that I didn't understand the point of your post, since I wasn't even addressing the overall message...?

Piecake

You are assuming WAYYY too much. First, who said they are developing it for both PC and console in mind? From what ive read they are making it on the PC exclusively then porting that game over.

They also specifically state that they are probably going to contract outside help to do the porting, so the likelyhood of the game being 'consolized' is nil. Plus, I cant imagine how a grid based strat rpg with 2 d graphics is going to have to be 'dumbed' down in order to accommodate consoles.

Also, Those games you mentioned were developed for the console then ported to the PC.

Gee, I wonder why I honed in on your Linux line...nothing to do with the way you phrased it, I bet. It's not.. you know.. potentially offensive in any way. Being marginalized, I mean...

I honestly believe that you are marginal, but I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. There are more than a dozen people who will play this game on Linux. Are we cool now?

zoku88

I honestly believe that you are marginal, but I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. There are more than a dozen people who will play this game on Linux. Are we cool now?

And I'm sorry that you felt that I was mischaracterizing you, intentionally or otherwise.

Anyway, to the person arguing against the console port, why don't you just un-back the project if you feel it's going negatively impact you.

(even if it's my belief that it really wouldn't.)

Piecake

Just sat down to work for the night (doing final designs for the base class: Axeman, and the classes he can become through promotion) to be handed off to Powerhouse tomorrow to start the whole finalized animation ball rolling. We have an agreed upon schedule and they're chomping at the bit to get going.
I look up at the pledged amount and WHAMMO, ORCHESTRA! I cannot wait to hear the soundtrack for this game, I think it's seriously going to be something special! You guys/gals did it and as you're kicking back enjoying the amazing score just remember the direct impact you had on making it happen. This would not have happened without you all. Congrats!

First time ive heard of classes (though i guess its to be expected, what with SF and FFT and all). Always loved character classes and it was always a cool moment in Shining Force when you got the promotion (or super secret special promotion)

@Bill Harned (and others with this concern):
Please re-read my section 2) comment below. The second tier IS our content tier. We cannot add what we want to do here after we ship (bigger ending/more quests...). We CAN add player cities in the future if we do not achieve that goal in the next few days. One is a bus leaving the station, one is a bus that we can drive whenever we get the gas money. My hope is that we agree here. We feel that we can get both porting to those individuals who want to support this extra tier AND the rest of the content we're hoping for in at this $650k level. The player cities would cost a tier in and of themselves leaving out the content we hope to ship with.

Still hope for Castles in the future if we dont make the 700k, which is nice

i havent backed this yet, on the assumption that i would just be able to buy it when it comes out if its good. that 700k tier sounds awesome though, so if my dollars would help it get there i may end up sending them a few bucks.

Still hope for Castles in the future if we dont make the 700k, which is nice

This is why I'm urgently hoping they reach 650k, because that stuff is stuff that can't be added later.

They're at 610k already now. It looks like the final two day spike is in full swing. 700k might not be a pipe dream.

zoku88

This is why I'm urgently hoping they reach 650k, because that stuff is stuff that can't be added later.

They're at 610k already now. It looks like the final two day spike is in full swing. 700k might not be a pipe dream.

Actually, depending on how they handle events (I'm not sure what they mean by events), it does seem like something that could be added either.

Either something like the Enhanced Edition for the Witcher or something like how Bioware handles Mass Effect.

Or how I imagine Bioware handles Mass Effect, since I've never actually gotten the DLC for those games...

I'm actually pretty satisfied with hitting 600K. I love having orchestrated music in my games. :)

EDIT: These guys seem like they would be nice to their fans. I wouldn't be surprised if they added extra content for free down the road.

Piecake

Oh, I think they will easily make it to 650k. Right now, I think we are on pace for about 675k, that is, if there isnt any big pledge spikes at the end. A decent sized pledge spike at the end is about the only way we are getting to 700k i think

Even though I havent pledged the 50 for the guild crest, I think it would be kinda neat for someone or someones, if interested of course, to help out those poor technically and artistically challenged souls create their guild crest

Im not offering since I am one of those poor souls, but id enjoy seeing everyone's guild crest in this topic and others that they made for people or that are just up for grabs

Oh, I think they will easily make it to 650k. Right now, I think we are on pace for about 675k, that is, if there isnt any big pledge spikes at the end. A decent sized pledge spike at the end is about the only way we are getting to 700k i think
It didn't look like Wasteland 2 would make it to 3 million at this point either, so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. Either way, as long as they get over the 650k hump I'll be pleased.

Actually, depending on how they handle events (I'm not sure what they mean by events), it does seem like something that could be added either.

From the comments section on the latest update:

1) The Orchestra: This is something that we feel is extremely important to the whole mood of the game. It's not every day you get to work with a composer like Austin and we felt we really needed to take as much advantage of that talent as we possibly could. *Aside from that, music is not something we can simply 'add' as we become more profitable.* The music we start with in chapter 1 is what we'll live with for, hopefully, years to come. The game is already in a great state from your support and music was the final nail we feel needs to be hammered home.

2) The Most Content on the Most Platforms: There are some people who are commenting that they will raise their pledge since we're taking the game to XBLA and PSN, but there are others who say that they are't interested in a port to a console that they don't plan on having. Please notice that we started the title with "The Most Content...". This is a 'content' goal with a nice side effect of porting. This much money would afford us the ability to hire programming help for the extra quest related content AND the ports. To be clear, the story and design for the game would be great as-is (better than we were initially hoping for!), but we have some ideas on how we'd like to add to it if possible. *As above, this is not something we can shoehorn in after we ship chapter 1*. You will not find any extra purchasable DLC in this game, we want whatever we can put in available to whoever who buys the game, period. We'd like the release to have as much polish and content as we can develop, then we'll be moving on and concentrating on Chapter 2.

3) The Player Owned Upgradeable Cities: Now we're talking! As excited as you all are for this feature it barely scratches the surface of how much we want to get it in the game. It's been a big idea for where we've wanted to go with the multiplayer game since we first started designing the Banner Saga. The idea was too big to hope for even a week ago. There are people asking 'how does this fit into a story where your caravan is on the move during a horrible time of destruction?' The multiplayer and single player games take part in the same world at the exact same time. The single player game has to do with the story of how a father and daughter along with their kin, friends and countrymen do their best to get through a very trying time (understatement). The single player game will, in very interesting ways, effect the multiplayer experience (not offering spoilers right now). The multiplayer game will be centered around a group of characters that you recruit, upgrade and name and the fact that they're located in a city will make perfect sense to the larger story. Now, here's the thing, *as much as we love this idea it IS something that we can add as we get more funding from Chapter 1*. We have it in a stretch goal because we'd LOVE to ship chapter 1 with it already hooked up and in the multiplayer game, but if we can't get there at this time then it's something we'll just have to save up for and hopefully add at some future date. :)
The way the Banner Saga was developed was we started with a story, then we worked on gameplay and lastly we decided on an art style. I've said this before, but if you like the art style I can only imagine that you'll love the story and gameplay, which is what got us all excited about the endeavor in the first place.

Piecake

man, that 3rd bullet point made cities sound even more awesome. I didnt expect that the single player game would impact multiplayer (interesting ways - im taking that to mean more than stat bonuses, and more like it being changed by your story choices, etc)

zoku88

From the comments section on the latest update:

Well, oops! :p

EDIT: Somewhat related, but of the three big gaming kickstarters I can think of, (TBS, Double Fine game, and Shadowrun) that this is the one with the least funding, since it would seem to be in the more popular genre (well, maybe less people that Shadowrun's genre.) I would be interested to know the demographic breakdown. I would think most of the people giving would be too young to be affected by nostalgia.

That, and I'm an absolute data-whore.

Well, oops! :p

EDIT: Somewhat related, but of the three big gaming kickstarters I can think of, (TBS, Double Fine game, and Shadowrun) that this is the one with the least funding, since it would seem to be in the more popular genre (well, maybe less people that Shadowrun's genre.) I would be interested to know the demographic breakdown. I would think most of the people giving would be too young to be affected by nostalgia.

That, and I'm an absolute data-whore.

You're missing Wasteland 2, but all of those games come from established developers and two of them are sequels to cult classic franchises. Wasteland 2 is one such sequel, but more importantly it had names like Brian Fargo, Michael Stackpole, and even Chris Avellone attached to it and two studios backing it up. Shadowrun is a beloved franchise revival by the original creator with a whole team behind him. Double Fine started the whole thing and it's Tim Schafer, 'nuff said.

The Banner Saga was done by three guys no one had ever heard of, working in a garage. It's the first proof that true indie devs with no reputation can hit it big on Kickstarter. They hit 500k without even posting stretch goals. That's just breathtaking.

zoku88

You're missing Wasteland 2, but all of those games come from established developers and two of them are sequels to cult classic franchises. Wasteland 2 is one such sequel, but more importantly it had names like Brian Fargo, Michael Stackpole, and even Chris Avellone attached to it and two studios backing it up. Shadowrun is a beloved franchise revival by the original creator with a whole team behind him. Double Fine started the whole thing and it's Tim Schafer, 'nuff said.

The Banner Saga was done by three guys no one had ever heard of, working in a garage. It's the first proof that true indie devs with no reputation can hit it big on Kickstarter. They hit 500k without even posting stretch goals. That's just breathtaking.

Oh. For some reason, I thought these guys were somewhat famous. I wouldn't know. I don't really know industry names. I guess that would definitely be an important factor. (and I would also want to know the information of how many backers knew about them, too! haha)

I also can't believe that I forgot Wasteland... given that I backed that one too...

kami_sama

I didn't know them. I don't even like SWTOR. I've backed this project because I love TBS and the art seems fantastic. It's just the kind of game I'm sure I will love.

zkylon

zkylewd
Caved in and put 10 bucks to secure myself a copy. I'm still considering going as far as $25 for the soundtrack and digital artbook.

36k left to the next tier, and 86k left to the final one.

40 hours to go.

It will almost definitely hit 650k. 700k is possible. If someone stepped in and took the 10k level they'd be a hero.

I'm in for $25. The more games like TBS we can get, the better. I've been giving positive word of mouth about this project to everyone I know who's interested in gaming. Glad to see it's going to hit $650,000. Hoping for $700,000, but I'm less concerned after they said it'll be worked in if it doesn't make it.

I do get a bad feeling about this when they start talking about console versions. That seems like something that can drain the funds quicker than they expect, and it will to some extent put them in the mercy of Microsoft/Sony. I really think that they should put that outside the scope of this kickstarter project and handle it as a side project later on.

I kinda agree. I hope they will focus on getting the game out on the non-console platforms first. If they want to set $50.000 aside to work on that after the game has shipped, that would be ideal.

zoku88

I'm pretty sure that they said that they'd be doing the PC/Mac version first and all other versions later. Might be wrong, though.

PaulLFC

Will probably pledge $10 before it ends, I just wish there was a tier below $50 that included just the 3 episodes with no extras. Sort of feels like I'm getting an incomplete experience unless I pay $50, and I can't afford that right now with the other Kickstarters and various other expenses.

Acidote

Will probably pledge $10 before it ends, I just wish there was a tier below $50 that included just the 3 episodes with no extras. Sort of feels like I'm getting an incomplete experience unless I pay $50, and I can't afford that right now with the other Kickstarters and various other expenses.

I feel the same.

SparkTR

The three chapters are going to be comparable to the way the Mass Effect trilogy was handled, as in there'll be an arc, but each one is self-contained and can stand alone as a complete game. It's not some Telltale episodic thing.

Less than 28k to the next tier. I like those odds.

700k might be out of reach though. At least they can add that feature later.

I do get a bad feeling about this when they start talking about console versions. That seems like something that can drain the funds quicker than they expect, and it will to some extent put them in the mercy of Microsoft/Sony. I really think that they should put that outside the scope of this kickstarter project and handle it as a side project later on.

They're already on four platforms and the game is 2D. I can't imagine that it's very difficult to port. They're also industry veterans even if they're not celebrity names, I'm sure they know what they're doing here. Here's their latest reassurance:

Sorry we didn't answer a portion of your question yesterday. There is not even one area of the game that we believe will be watered down or made simpler by us porting to XBLA or PSN. We've been stating all along that we hope to make the game available to as many people on as many platforms as we can (already stated that it's going to Linux and iPad). We made this stretch goal as a new support tier for those interested in having the game come to their platform so they can enjoy it as well. For all the people who already supported the game because they already have it on their platform there is going to be no loss. You are getting the exact game we have promised and are working hard to make as cool as we can. Remember...we will be working on these ports after chapter 1 is complete. Right now we're laser focused on PC/Mac. Any more funding we get right now, since orchestra has been achieved, will be going into the final level of content for PC/Mac and as a great bonus we will also be able to port the game to more human beings.

People are still crying about how the console ports will somehow compromise the PC version without getting very specific, but this is clearly going to hit $650k with or without their lunacy. It's a turn based strategy game for fuck's sake. Chess has been ported to just about every computing device there is and last I checked, it's still perfectly playable on all of them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People are still crying about how the console ports will somehow compromise the PC version without getting very specific, but this is clearly going to hit 650k with or without their lunacy. It's a turn based strategy game for fuck's sake. Chess has been ported to just about every computing device there is and last I checked, it's still perfectly playable on all of them.

Yeah. For a game like this... I don't see how it being on a bunch of platforms could really compromise its design very much.

zoku88

Yeah. For a game like this... I don't see how it being on a bunch of platforms could really compromise its design very much.

I mean, I could see how it could be possible to mess it up (regarding size of interfaces or wtv), but I don't think they would. They don't seem inept.

-NeoTB1-

I've been following this for a while and finally decided to back it. Plus, they are Austin guys and it's always great to support local developers.

Less than 17k to go now. Pretty crazy. Hopefully once we hit 650k the consolephobes will recognize that the debate is over and refocus for a final push to 700k.

stabwound

Neo Member
It's incredible that people are defending and being apologists for the consolization of a PC game. This must be bizarro world.

Even if you support that, how can someone who donated toward the PC version support the fact that they're prioritizing console ports over expanded content for the PC version?

It's incredible that people are defending and being apologists for the consolization of a PC game. This must be bizarro world.

It's incredible that you still can't tell us how you think a turn based strategy game is going to be negatively affected by being available on consoles. This must be a world where we demand that people actually explain shit in rational terms instead of ranting vaguely about Skyrim.

Even if you support that, how can someone who donated toward the PC version support the fact that they're prioritizing console ports over expanded content for the PC version?
Can you read? 650k is the content tier you troglodyte.

But they're not!

-NeoTB1-

I would love to see console ports on PSN/XBLA. The more people this game reaches the better. That said, I really hope they somehow meet the 700k tier. That stuff sounds really neat.

stabwound

Neo Member
It's incredible that you still can't tell us how you think a turn based strategy game is going to be negatively affected by being available on consoles. This must be a world where we demand that people actually explain shit in rational terms instead of ranting vaguely about Skyrim.

Can you read? 650k is the content tier you troglodyte.
Excuse me? Who's the one who can't read? Or do you not consider "player owned cities" (which everyone is gushing over) to be game content? That would be odd.

As far as I know $700,000 is higher than $650,000, but I can't be sure: I am a troglodyte.

bPjzm.jpg

Who's the one who can't read?

Still you, and now you're clearly trolling.

For the benefit of others: The content they're going to add at 650k can never be added after release and will be made possible by hiring a programmer who can do the ports as a bonus. The content they're going to add at 700k can be added after release. That's why it's prioritized that way.

scy

To be fair, $650k is "we'll put as much content as we can! btw, also porting" tier.

Also, I love Kickstarter threads.

Top Bottom