• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comey agrees to testify in OPEN session before Senate intel committee

Ambient80

I'm not expecting much from this. One side asking about something only barely related, the other asking tough questions that he can't answer.

Wouldn't Republicans be happier with Pence as President and Trump out of the White House.

"That guy we supported for President before was awful, but his VP sure is swell!!"

Vestal

Gold Member
CNN WITH ANOTHER MEGATON! regarding Flynn connection to Russia.

Sources: Russia bragged about relationship with Flynn.

Mully

Wouldn't Republicans be happier with Pence as President and Trump out of the White House.

Yes, but no. It seems like Pence is as much involved in all of this as Trump (Pence was the head of the Trump Transition). So although Pence would be more competent than Trump, the Republicans would still have to deal with his scandals.

Let's also not forget DeVos' and Sessions alleged involvement as well. DeVos' brother is Erik Prince, the head of Blackwater who held a secret meeting with Russian officials in the Seychelles in the days following the election. Sessions perjured himself and sat in on the same meetings with Kislyak that Kushner was in.

The whole administration could be a political nightmare for the Republican party for years to come.

Slime

Banned

Republicans are already fucked demographically. Now they depend on their racist, radical base. 2016 was basically a miracle.

The only approval numbers they care about are the 90% of Republican voters who would follow Trump off a cliff. The second they betray Trump, they are doomed.

It doesn't matter how bad it gets with Trump. They'll wait for Democrats to impeach him or defeat him in re-election, and cling to their districts and states in the meantime.

Pence and Ryan both seem to have too much dirt on their hands to actually become the President. At this point, if Trump is impeached we're probably looking at President Orrin Hatch.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
On one hand, I could see this interfering with the Mueller investigation.

On the other hand, I want as much damaging information public as possible.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is cancelled/postponed at the behest of Mueller if he feels it will cause harm to his investigation.

One thing to keep in mind is this investigation can only be resolved by the court of public opinion. You can't just arrest the president. Impeachment is the only option. And you're not going to see Republicans cross the line to impeachment until the public turns against them for protecting trump.

There's an unusual need for the investigation to be public.

FTF

Oh wow, can't wait. Also, this is only good news right? There's not much chance this could backfire and be good for Trump right?

giphy.gif

I sure hope we're more right about Trump and the GOP than Curtis was about that storm :/

I doubt it. This is who most people want to hear from. It'll look like Mueller is trying to hide something.
More like he's building a case and doesn't want key pieces made public yet. The down side of this going from congress' hands to a special investigator. A lot of this stuff won't be public until the end.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Take a shot for every question they'll bring up about Hillary and emails.

But the lame email non scandal is officially why trump fired comey. If it was a big deal there'd be no reason to say comey mishandled it.

As if McConnell would even stutter.

CHC

I really hope he immediately fucking fly-swats any question that involves Clinton whatsoever from shit-eaters like Gowdy. Literally not a single thing to do with what he is discussing, you might as well ask him about, like.... Bill Cosby at that point. That kind of time wasting should just straight-up not be tolerated.

I'm not expecting any massive news from his conference or anything, but if he can reiterated that he felt Trump was trying to influence his investigation or duties at all, that's enough for the time being.

Zolo

I'm not expecting any massive news from his conference or anything, but if he can reiterated that he felt Trump was trying to influence his investigation or duties at all, that's enough for the time being.

I mainly expect it just to have his statements for public record.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Democrats will ask about Trump, the Republicans will ask about the leaks and Hillary.

Like I said before, the only way out of this is with pressure from people, organizations, corporations, etc., on congress.

We can probably expect him to at least repeat everything in the memos that were 'leaked' to newspapers. So I would say he's going to:

- Confirm that Trump asked for his loyalty (and his interpretation of what that really meant)
- Refute that he told Trump that he was not being investigated
- Confirm that Trump asked him to "let this go"
- Refute that he "asked for the dinner with Trump" and confirm Trump asked him to have dinner

He's not going to reveal any details about what investigators found, how far the FBI investigation went up until the day he was fired, or anything along those lines.

I really hope he immediately fucking fly-swats any question that involves Clinton whatsoever from shit-eaters like Gowdy. Literally not a single thing to do with what he is discussing, you might as well ask him about, like.... Bill Cosby at that point. That kind of time wasting should just straight-up not be tolerated.
I was half-watching Maddow tonight but I think I heard her speculate that a reason Comey agreed to testify to the senate intel committee but not the senate judiciary committee is that the intel committee has fewer republicans on it that would only be interested in distracting with questions about clinton emails and other spin. He must be so tired of that bullshit.

Honestly, we know exactly how this will go down.

The GOP folks will try to focus on Clinton, emails, and degrading his credibility.
The Dems will focus on russia, obstruction, and who was all involved and where.

I think the former director will defer some questions to the special prosecutor as well, to preserve that case.

I'm sure they wish Pence was sworn in back in January instead of Trump, but Pence becoming president due to Trump's impeachment or removal from office would be a disaster. The party would be tainted, it would be the biggest political scandal/disaster since Watergate. And Pence would have no political capitol, having not technically won election.

If any of this happens it'll be later this year, meaning election season will be starting and congress won't be getting much done. Pence wouldn't have any time to establish himself as president. Then there's the big question: would he pardon Trump? Many believe Ford's pardon of Nixon doomed his presidency.

Top Bottom