• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Moondrop

Banned
Eh, I'd still say put some time into Bomb Charger. The bombs aren't just for defensive plays.
Sure, and I take it the basic offensive play is akin to that of the vanilla H3- flush them from cover or force movement in a particular direction.

I put in two days with bomb charger and now by day 3 I'm good. I love the extra reach over walls and around corners, but having more range translates into me moving less. But worst is the bomb rush, when I total spazz out and become a giant flashing target. The kit just brings out my worst qualities as a player.

And though I've loved every moment of Charger Quest, now in week 3 I think I'm suspending it and going back to my main account. Too many crazy builds on other weapons I want to try before the Switch and then the sequel hit.

Final BlogFAQs charger thoughts:

Reason #52348 Splatoon is the greatest- it's deep enough to reward my time investment. I'm not yet a true sniper, but I've distinctly improved over a concentrated training period.

Playing charger is like playing QB in a Madden game. I have to scan the field, identify my receivers, judge whether they're open, and then deliver a pass based on their rate and direction of movement, all while avoiding the pass rush. Only instead of footballs I'm throwing death lasers.

But the real world sports analogy is to pitching in baseball. When a pitcher is on top of their game, there's nothing the other team's hitters can do (except hope to match with an ace pitcher of their own).

The bow and arrow was the original charger.

RiggyRob

What's the best way to use the Bubbler Hydra Splatling? Thinking of using it during my stream in half an hour.

Also, I assume the Bubbler version is the best because invincibility + range = godlike?

Robotguy

What's the best way to use the Bubbler Hydra Splatling? Thinking of using it during my stream in half an hour.

Also, I assume the Bubbler version is the best because invincibility + range = godlike?
Bubbles Hydra is godlike.
As for usage I guess be aware of where the opponent sniper is and make sure to keep covered/ out of range. Gotta manage your charges well, since you have a long charge up time. Ink management is important too, since you get less than 3 full charges per tank. Note that the hits to kill drops from 4 to 3 once you hit full charge, so go for full charges when possible.
So, basically be a coward when you don't have a charge and be aggressive when you do cause you're basically a god then. (fastest ttk in the game and long range)
Make sure to use sprinklers well to build bubble.
Generally I consider places with grates to be good for hydra, since it makes you harder to approach, and you can move pretty fast them when firing.

The non-bubbler hydra is basically never used.

RiggyRob

Bubbles Hydra is godlike.
As for usage I guess be aware of where the opponent sniper is and make sure to keep covered/ out of range. Gotta manage your charges well, since you have a long charge up time. Ink management is important too, since you get less than 3 full charges per tank. Note that the hits to kill drops from 4 to 3 once you hit full charge, so go for full charges when possible.
So, basically be a coward when you don't have a charge and be aggressive when you do cause you're basically a god then. (fastest ttk in the game and long range)
Make sure to use sprinklers well to build bubble.
Generally I consider places with grates to be good for hydra, since it makes you harder to approach, and you can move pretty fast them when firing.

The non-bubbler hydra is basically never used.

Cheers - ended up dropping Rank because I'm not used to Tower Control on Triggerfish and Blackbelly, but I had some very nice viewers giving me tips on how to use the .52 Gal Deco with Splash Wall effectively instead of the Tri-Slosher.

Never got round to the Bubble Hydra Splatling!

SM239

This is a good set if you can manage to get the abilities together.
C4UBpPXWAAAt8HD.jpg

My favorite Custom Hydra set. 24 points of damage for those 99.9 partials and defense up counter.

Remember to partial charge when needed. A quarter of the first charge circle is enough to take out a single enemy in emergency situations.

Kito

So, how about a So Long, and Thanks for All The Fish WiiU Splatoon GafHouse?

To conclude the GAFHouse series: tournament on Friday 26 May 2017 at 20:00 GMT.
Splatoon 2 will see further GAF tourneys, but under a new name!

*Quote for GAFHouse VI signup link
*Quote for GAFHouse VI signup responses
Deadline: 24 hours before the event start time.

• All welcome
  • Ruleset TBD
  • 16 players required
  • Randomised teams
  • Communication on Discord
  • Tournament length approx. 2 hours

Past GAFHouses

image.php

GAFHouse

Host: nom (James)
Date: 04 Dec 2015
Bracket: Challonge
Winner: Team #EXPOSED {BlueSilver, James, Kildud3, Wiseblade}
Misc: None

GAFHouse II

Host: James
Date: 05 Dec 2015
Winner: Team N2STC {?, ?, ?, ?}
Misc: None

GAFHouse III

Host: James
Date: 20 Dec 2015
Winner: Team Woomy Zoomy {Jamtin, SM239, Smashkirby, Triforce141}
Misc: Trailer | SM239 POV

GAFHouse IV

Host: Toadsili T
Date: 16 Apr 2016
Winner: Team Manmenmi {BlueSilver, Kito, Smashkirby, StAidan}
Misc: Azure J POV | Charmcrown POV | Coasterfreak POV | StAidan POV

GAFHouse V

Host: Kito
Date: 28 May 2016
Bracket: None
Winner: Team nom {abd (Diego), Chooch, Doorman, Kito}
Misc: Azure J POV | Diego POV

RiggyRob

This is a good set if you can manage to get the abilities together.
C4UBpPXWAAAt8HD.jpg

My favorite Custom Hydra set. 24 points of damage for those 99.9 partials and defense up counter.

Remember to partial charge when needed. A quarter of the first charge circle is enough to take out a single enemy in emergency situations.

I barely have equipment with 3 slots, never mind abilities that I want on them. How do you get more Snails now there's no Splatfests?

That's why SplatGAF worships at the altar of Rapid Blaster.

No seriously I think most of us do.

Range isn't useful if you can't hit anything with it Kappa

The Rapid Blaster sounds interesting, might give it a go next week.

To conclude the GAFHouse series: tournament on Friday 26 May 2017 at 20:00 GMT.
Splatoon 2 will see further GAF tourneys, but under a new name!

*Quote for GAFHouse VI signup link
*Quote for GAFHouse VI signup responses

Past GAFHouses

image.php

GAFHouse

GAFHouse II

GAFHouse III

GAFHouse IV

GAFHouse V

Hah, this seems like it was fun! I'll check out some streams of the previous tournaments.

ChrisD

Could I sign up now and just drop out two~ weeks in advance, if need be? I never know what I'm doing from day to day (I mean, I'm p much always available, but stuff happens), so I don't really want to say anything for sure this far in advance... But I'd definitely like to take part.

Kito

Could I sign up now and just drop out two~ weeks in advance, if need be? I never know what I'm doing from day to day (I mean, I'm p much always available, but stuff happens), so I don't really want to say anything for sure this far in advance... But I'd definitely like to take part.

Yes, you are free to drop out at any time. Alternatively, you can sign up the day before as I'll be posting reminders.

I'll put a signup deadline (Thursday 25 May) in my post to clarify this.

Regiruler

I just realized: how do people listen to the discord anyway? Not using a headphone syaten would probably lead to game audio coming through the microphone...

abd

I just realized: how do people listen to the discord anyway? Not using a headphone syaten would probably lead to game audio coming through the microphone...

So Discord is at first a text chat. Each server can add additional chat rooms, as well as voice channels. You can connect to voice without a microphone and just listen. Myself and others will use their tablet or mobile device with headphones with inline mic. I have known one to use his phone without headphones, just using the built in speakers. Many use a headset with their computer. Many others use a USB microphone and either speakers to listen in or headphones.

If this seems patronizing I did not mean it to. If you question is unanswered, perhaps a more rested individual can give it a shot.

I only listen to the Discord VC, so what I end up doing is having one earbud connected to my phone for VC listening and headphones connected to the Gamepad for game audio. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

But that requires winning ¬_¬

Does winning in Normal Turf War battles count?

Turf War counts.

Robotguy

I use a webcam as my mike and feed my game audio through my computer and listen to both game and discord audio with some cheap earbuds.

It doesn't come through the mic unless your game's volume is way too loud. Or you're using your laptop's mic. Don't use your laptop's mic, just spend $30 on a logitech headset or something and you'll be fine.

ChrisD

Yes, you are free to drop out at any time. Alternatively, you can sign up the day before as I'll be posting reminders.

I'll put a signup deadline (Thursday 25 May) in my post to clarify this.

Ah, that works out even better! Won't wait absolute last second, but don't need to sign up months in advance with uncertainty haha. Thanks for the answer.

RiggyRob

I've seen the light - Quick Respawn stacking is godlike. I'm hoping it can carry me through the streams from now on.

There's no way to fill out all 12 slots in clothes to have the Quick Respawn ability, right?

I've seen the light - Quick Respawn stacking is godlike. I'm hoping it can carry me through the streams from now on.

There's no way to fill out all 12 slots in clothes to have the Quick Respawn ability, right?
It can be done really easily with Splathax. Otherwise you'd have to save scum if you aren't super lucky.

Usually you also use Stealth Jump with that much QR, though. The main QR spamming weapons are like the Dynamo and Luna and the like, weapons that can consistently OHKO someone after jumping in.

Well also the Tentatek but that's because the Tentatek is a dumb weapon with the perfect amount of inaccuracy to quickly splat people consistently even if you can't aim for shit.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
A reminder that for those wanting to participate in GAFHouse, and thus wishing to join the Discord, please PM me so that I can forward you the invite link. :)

Seeing these posts with such turnaround reactions is amusing in its own way. :p

You realistically only need about 3 mains worth of QR to get the most effect. It's only at this point, after reducing respawn time by 3 seconds, where the diminishing returns become severe. If you don't want to opt for the gear editing approach, 3-4 subs across your three pieces of gear is all you need to try and roll if you just use two mains worth of QR.

RiggyRob

It can be done really easily with Splathax. Otherwise you'd have to save scum if you aren't super lucky.

Usually you also use Stealth Jump with that much QR, though. The main QR spamming weapons are like the Dynamo and Luna and the like, weapons that can consistently OHKO someone after jumping in.

Well also the Tentatek but that's because the Tentatek is a dumb weapon with the perfect amount of inaccuracy to quickly splat people consistently even if you can't aim for shit.

I assume Splathax requires Homebrew on your Wii U?

A reminder that for those wanting to participate in GAFHouse, and thus wishing to join the Discord, please PM me so that I can forward you the invite link. :)

Seeing these posts with such turnaround reactions is amusing in its own way. :p

You realistically only need about 3 mains worth of QR to get the most effect. It's only at this point, after reducing respawn time by 3 seconds, where the diminishing returns become severe. If you don't want to opt for the gear editing approach, 3-4 subs across your three pieces of gear is all you need to try and roll if you just use two mains worth of QR.

I'm currently using it as 3 mains and the subs are random, I'd prefer having Ink Resistance and Tenacity which would require having the subs as Quick Respawn instead I think, unless the Splatoon meta has a specific gear setup that is the one and only.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
I assume Splathax requires Homebrew on your Wii U?

I'm currently using it as 3 mains and the subs are random, I'd prefer having Ink Resistance and Tenacity which would require having the subs as Quick Respawn instead I think, unless the Splatoon meta has a specific gear setup that is the one and only.

Tenacity is somewhat counter-intuitive with a QR build since it relies on your teammates dieing, but not you. QR allows you to be more aggressive and go for kills at best and trades at worst without worrying about dieing; in either case, you're not really worrying much about the special. It's an added bonus ontop of everything really.

Ink Resistance is a nice perk to have for the mobility though, so yeah, you're pretty much going to have to get lucky with your sub roll spread across three pieces of gear. SplatHax requires running custom firmware that only exists temporarily until you turn the console off, as well as a PC program to edit the save file/gear. I don't have any reliable guides handy, however...

RiggyRob

Tenacity is somewhat counter-intuitive with a QR build since it relies on your teammates dieing, but not you. QR allows you to be more aggressive and go for kills at best and trades at worst without worrying about dieing; in either case, you're not really worrying much about the special. It's an added bonus ontop of everything really.

Ink Resistance is a nice perk to have for the mobility though, so yeah, you're pretty much going to have to get lucky with your sub roll spread across three pieces of gear. SplatHax requires running custom firmware that only exists temporarily until you turn the console off, as well as a PC program to edit the save file/gear. I don't have any reliable guides handy, however...

Good point RE: Tenacity. I've just noticed the effects of not having Ink Resistance on the shoes, but I guess I shouldn't be walking in enemy ink anyway.

3 Quick Respawn mains with Damage Up subs sounds good to me.

Moondrop

Banned

Agreed that even QR exhibits diminishing returns. So with all this hubbub I decided to theorycraft the optimal QR build.

What would be better than straight QR and stealth jump? Obviously to keep building inexorably toward your special, i.e. special saver. Well, only inkzooka and perhaps kraken at light loss would be worth an investment. But the weapons also must kill reliably after jumping. Conclusion: luna blaster or neo sploosh.

The second premise is that Comeback synergizes very well with this build because it now gives special charge up. And you get to wear the sweet paintball mask. Final build calculations:

10 Comeback
10 Stealth Jump
22 Quick Respawn
15 Special Saver
Luna Blaster (Inkzooka) or Neo Sploosh (Kraken)

Edit: Tri-slosher nouveau for echo works amazingly with this build, as does splat roller for wail.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
A new Update from the Japanese Splatoon twitter has emerged!

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/839403664083079168

"This is a brand new Spawn Point. Just look at it! We attached a milk frother on the side because we understand that today's sophisticated and freshest squids all drink coffee as a daily ritual. Furthermore, we also attached a giant switch on the base of the pad, to make it all BRAND NEW. This was in order to remind those squids who aren't sophisticated and fresh that this is a BRAND NEW game for the Switch, and NOT a F*%^)!% port. Good day."

*This is not a real translation*

Agreed that even QR exhibits diminishing returns. So with all this hubbub I decided to theorycraft the optimal QR build.

What would be better than straight QR and stealth jump? Obviously to keep building inexorably toward your special, i.e. special saver. Well, only inkzooka and perhaps kraken at light loss would be worth an investment. But the weapons also must kill reliably after jumping. Conclusion: luna blaster or neo sploosh.

The second premise is that Comeback synergizes very well with this build because it now gives special charge up. And you get to wear the sweet paintball mask. Final build calculations:

10 Comeback
10 Stealth Jump
22 Quick Respawn
15 Special Saver
Luna Blaster (Inkzooka) or Neo Sploosh (Kraken)

Edit: Tri-slosher nouveau for echo works amazingly with this build, as does splat roller for wail.
Congrats on discovering the Shark Special, more commonly known in SplatGAF as "Nathan Go Fuck Yourself." I usually use it with the Corocoro though and a little more Special Saver (19). The idea behind it is that when you need to go aggro you can with little punishment if you either trade or just fail completely.

But I've since switched to chargers because having to rely on the zooka is so 2016. Also fuck people who imply I can't aim etc. :p
Even if it's true. Or was. I can actually kind of aim now!

Moondrop

Banned
In the twilight of this game of a generation I've had my most fun month yet. After my Charger Quest, I went to the opposite end of the spectrum and found a new love: the bubble brush. Presenting my all-time favorite Splatoon build:

Sword & Board
Inkbrush Nouveau
24 Damage Up
13 Special Charge Up
10 Ink Resistance Up
10 Defense Up

The primary attraction is going wherever you want and doing what you want when you get there. I love skating through enemy lines so much I find myself vocalizing Whee! as I run unobstructed and Nooo! as I turn and flee when spotted. The secondary draw is the stealth/flanking game. Learning to flank, to stay out of the crosshairs even when they know you're present, is the true brush art. And bubbles and team support are always a good time.

Sure there are limitations and situations you can't overcome- but you can make plays other weapons can only dream of. Such as popping on the jets and rescuing teammates in the act of a foolish push. Or busting open chokepoints and then skating away while cackling. This brush is fueled by imagination.

Previously I could never get over the offense of the brush itself, but optimized damage up makes it viable. Ink resistance up is basically necessary to Whee! smoothly and not reveal yourself on enemy mini-maps in the process. Optimized defense up aids in both melee and fleeing/flanking; I've counted three plunks from Tentateks as I Nooo! away. And then as much special charge up as possible. There are variations (subbing out defense up for tenacity, ninja squid, cold blooded, swim speed, etc.), but this combination is deceptively synergistic.

I've gone straight from B to A+ on my alt. Which doesn't say much in itself, however I'm still learning and was never all that good in the first place. A+ was my primary rank after the S ranks were added. My final goal is to sneak into S one more time so I can declare the bubble brush my true and final main.

I don't care if everyone is off playing Zelda; she'll keep.

JCX

I've been trying to pick up this again in advance of 2. Man, I swear I used to be good at this game lol. Fell from an A+ to a B+.

Pokemaniac

Thanks y'all. But there's real news:

Apparently a new NPC has been added to the plaza. I don't want to spoil any more.

The only thing I could find that was out of the ordinary was a glowing squid named "Agent 4", and I'm like 95% sure that's just a hacker, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Moondrop

Banned
The only thing I could find that was out of the ordinary was a glowing squid named "Agent 4", and I'm like 95% sure that's just a hacker, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
A hacker is presently inserting their avatar into everyone's plazas, added a glow of various colors, and is changing around the position, posture, and quote over the course of several hours? That's some damn fine hacking.

Pokemaniac

A hacker is presently inserting their avatar into everyone's plazas, added a glow of various colors, and is changing around the position, posture, and quote over the course of several hours? That's some damn fine hacking.

I mean, the Miiverse post that they were showing seems to have just been deleted by a Miiverse admin and that account I just linked shows other signs of hacking, sooooooooo...

Really they probably just did a save file edit to make it seem like they had special splatfest colors. Everything else you mentioned happens with Miiverse posts by default.

Top Bottom