• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Thanks for the insight guys. Like I said, I'm just a guy that has always wanted to ride and I'm working from ground zero here. I'm going to research all these and see whats in my area.

When I got my first bike (2006 250 Ninja)
I was so afraid of shifting gears wrong that I went through the whole neighborhood in first gear (annoying everyone at 8000 rpm)

Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R
Suzuki GS500F

I love my '11 Ninja 250R, but it really could use a bit more power. Either one of the above bikes will be just as forgiving and just as cheap, but will be a lot more enjoyable due to a more capable engine.

'08+ 250R's look freaking sexy though.

Enjoyable is also dependent on your frame. 250 for me was more than enough because of my size.

There's also the Honda 250 CBR. Don't be afraid to buy used for your first bike as you're likely to ding it up a few times.

I'm definitely buying used.

Then you have a few more options. There's Hyosung, though some people say the quality isn't that good on them. I would just search through whatever used vehicle website you can find and look at all the 250-500 bikes.

If you're a taller/bigger then the switch to 500 won't be that huge. My buddy rides one and he's about 6'2" and got some meat and his bike was just a bit faster than my 250 because of the weight difference.

My first bike was a 250 and it was perfect for learning. Do yourself a favor, though, and remove the fairings before you start riding it. At some point you're probably going to drop it so you may as well save the cost of new fairings.

Plus, you can just go for the streetfighter look, which I think is awesome.

Thanks for the insight guys. Like I said, I'm just a guy that has always wanted to ride and I'm working from ground zero here. I'm going to research all these and see whats in my area.

A low mileage Monster 600 / 620 might also be an option. Excellent,light bike to learn on. Reasonable amount of power. Great looks/sounds, and prices are starting to come down, fast.

After that you should be more than ready for the GSXs/R6s/ZXR6s, etc. Or a 748 Ducati if you're feeling frisky.

Other alternatives: Honda Hornet 600, Kawasaki ER6N (might be a little over budget), Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki ZXR400, Yamaha FZR400.

My first bike was a 250 and it was perfect for learning. Do yourself a favor, though, and remove the fairings before you start riding it. At some point you're probably going to drop it so you may as well save the cost of new fairings.

Plus, you can just go for the streetfighter look, which I think is awesome.

Never dropped a bike in the 7 years I have my license. So it's not necessarily destined to happen :p.

Some good suggestions, but be aware that some bikes are region specific (ER-6n in North America is Canada only, Hornet doesn't exist in NA..etc).

ER-6n made it here for one production year. I actually did a demo day on one. Their 650 parallel twin is a fun engine and is capable, but I'd say a beginner who has done MSF could adjust to one. 250s and 500s are preferable, though. If anything just to learn faster on a smaller bike.

edit: The ER-6f (for faired vs 'n' for naked) is the Ninja 650R here. The Versys also uses this same engine.

Az

Just signed up for the Basic Rider Course. March 31st, yay, I feel like I am getting an iPad or something.

AiTM

Banned
ER-6n made it here for one production year. I actually did a demo day on one. Their 650 parallel twin is a fun engine and is capable, but I'd say a beginner who has done MSF could adjust to one. 250s and 500s are preferable, though. If anything just to learn faster on a smaller bike.

edit: The ER-6f (for faired vs 'n' for naked) is the Ninja 650R here. The Versys also uses this same engine.

As I posted, I now have a 2012 Ninja 650r, and last summer I had an 2009 Ninja 250r. If you can handle one you can handle the other. The feel very similar in terms of seating and position. The 650 obviously has a little more power, but its only there if you need it. The only other noticeable difference is the 250 seems to stop and handle a little bit quicker (its a smaller bike)

One reason you may want to go ahead and get the 650, is the 250 is going to feel weak after a few months of riding it, you will want a bigger bike in time.

I found that the Ninja 250 actually has plenty of power, it is the suspension that really limits it. I had a stock 250, then got my wife a nicely modded one while I also had my FZ6. The modded Ninja was a blast to ride. It had Racetech springs and a Zx6 rear shock, F1 pipes, was jetted and re-geared. The handling was amazing, I still regret selling that bike (we were moving cross country so it had to go).

Dre3001

When I was deciding between the CBR250 and Ninja 250r as my first bike I read extensively on both and the major differences I found were

CBR 250 has all the modern features (better gauges, fuel injected) and also better MPG. However the Ninja 250r is faster and has better handling.

So it depends particularly on what you value more.

Personally I went with the Ninja because I figure to only keep the Ninja for maybe a year to a year and a half before I upgrade to a slightly bigger bike. Thus I decided that the modern features wouldnt be a big loss to me since I would mainly be using the bike to learn how to ride.

I am just a novice though so someone else might better be able to explain the pros and cons between the two.

Personally, I'd always go for a 600 model. Brakes, suspension, tires, everything will be of considerably higher quality than what you'll find on 250 bikes. That adds to the safety more than the added power will detract from it.

Personally, I'd always go for a 600 model. Brakes, suspension, tires, everything will be of considerably higher quality than what you'll find on 250 bikes. That adds to the safety more than the added power will detract from it.

That is true, but when learning the 250 has a larger safety net, so to speak. Also it is common practice to buy a used Ninja 250 for $1700, use it for a year or two, then sell it for $1700.

daw840

Except that learning on an inline 4 600 is....ill advised at best. That's how you get dead right there. The 650 Ninja is one of the best learner bikes IMHO.

Except that learning on an inline 4 600 is....ill advised at best. That's how you get dead right there. The 650 Ninja is one of the best learner bikes IMHO.

Yes, should have mentioned that I meant two cylinder bikes. Monster 600/620, SV650, 650r, etcetera.

Though I can't imagine a Honda Hornet posing too much of a problem. It's when you venture into '06 R6 territory that things can get hairy if you're irresponsible.

About a good starter's bike:

I'd also like to throw in a recommendation for large single-cylinder enduro/supermotos. If you get your hands on something like an Kawasaki KLX650, Honda FMX650 or even a decent Yamaha XT660, you'll have a bike that will take you anywhere, will be heaps of fun to ride, and won't be too expensive to buy or run (assuming you go 2nd hand). If you want something a bit higher end, you could always invest in a KTM Duke too =) (though no idea how expensive you can find them in your area).

Another "good" thing is that despite the high ccs, you won't have an overwhelming amount of power/speed to intimidate you too much - being single-cylinder, these bikes don't have that high HP outputs or top-speed (they typically max out at around ~160hm/h or so), but they more than make up for it with their torque and responsiveness. Finally, I also find that their lighter weight and "trial bike" setup makes them *much* easier to maneuver and ride than any type of sports-bike, although this is largely personal preference as well.

Yes, should have mentioned that I meant two cylinder bikes. Monster 600/620, SV650, 650r, etcetera.

Though I can't imagine a Honda Hornet posing too much of a problem. It's when you venture into '06 R6 territory that things can get hairy if you're irresponsible.

I think the twins and more low/mid power is just another bike-specific feature to get used to, and that i4s just have it opposite. I didn't have much problem adjusting to the power on my used CBR600RR and managing it. i4 600s have so little low and mid that you really have to purposefully wind them out to get to the "danger zone" (so to speak). I think actually what is a bigger hindrance is that you not only have a bigger, more powerful bike (like when you buy a 650 twin), but that all 600 i4s (well, basically all) are sportbikes and are less friendly ergonomically, especially to beginners. Sitting upright makes it a bit easier, especially when starting off. I had a new rider (who had just gotten a Ducati Multistrada 620) sit on my bike, which is still a comfortable sportbike in general and he absolutely hated the feeling and layout. On the street standards are a bit easier, no doubt.

Dougald

So 2-Wheel GAF, I'm going to attempt to change the brake pads on my Bonneville next weekend (to avoid paying double to get someone else to do it). Any tips from anyone? It's the first time I've tried doing this so any help would be appreciated. (Yes, I already have the Haynes manual, as the owners manual Triumph provide just states "go to your dealer").

@soapster: Yes, that's an important factor and something to consider. Being ass up, face down on my old 998 definitely added to its hazardous nature :D.

So 2-Wheel GAF, I'm going to attempt to change the brake pads on my Bonneville next weekend (to avoid paying double to get someone else to do it). Any tips from anyone? It's the first time I've tried doing this so any help would be appreciated. (Yes, I already have the Haynes manual, as the owners manual Triumph provide just states "go to your dealer").

Check out a Bonneville forum and maintenance section. I bet someone has done it and may even have pictures.

If it's anything like mine...

Unbolt the caliper(s), preferably do not leave them hanging by the line. My pads are held in by these clips/pins that I had to remove. Once you have the pads out, be sure to push the pistons back in to the caliper otherwise you will not be able to get the new pads in.

Discusguy

For all you guys looking to get into riding. I highly recommend you do go through motorcycle safety riding course. It will be a life saver.

I don't think you should waste your money on 250 unless that's what you want. If you buy the 600 you want you'll be a lot more careful and safer of not wanting to mess it up. Buy frame sliders. Best inexpensive mod you could buy for your bike.

For all you guys looking to get into riding. I highly recommend you do go through motorcycle safety riding course. It will be a life saver.

I don't think you should waste your money on 250 unless that's what you want. If you buy the 600 you want you'll be a lot more careful and safer of not wanting to mess it up. Buy frame sliders. Best inexpensive mod you could buy for your bike.

250s and 500s are rarely a waste money-wise, though. You can generally get back most (if not all) of what you paid for them because they're popular. The best argument I can think of for a smaller bike for the first season is to learn basics quicker. I was indeed a lot more careful on my 600 than I might have been otherwise. I think it hindered me. It wasn't until I was on my 750 and riding with a friend (and not being able to stay with him) that I started to get a concept of technique and speed.

Dougald

Check out a Bonneville forum and maintenance section. I bet someone has done it and may even have pictures.

If it's anything like mine...

Unbolt the caliper(s), preferably do not leave them hanging by the line. My pads are held in by these clips/pins that I had to remove. Once you have the pads out, be sure to push the pistons back in to the caliper otherwise you will not be able to get the new pads in.

I managed to find a decent guide on the Triumph owners club forum and also my Haynes manual has some reasonable instructions.. Hopefully that will be enough! I don't have a great deal of experience mechanically (I managed to rope the father in-law to help, but the last time he changed brakes was 20 years ago on his Velocette). Half the reason I bought a bike was to learn how to do more maintenance though.

I'm riding through Europe with a friend this summer, so I also plan on replacing the chain/sprocket before then too.

Damnit... Wanted to go test-ride the Superduke yesterday and the weather... was less than favorable, so I abstained. Today the weather was near perfect (well, as perfect as it can be around these parts at this time of year! :), and of course the bike shop was closed.

Still, I'm pretty much certain that it's the bike I want, so I've already started looking at a few other ads around here. Hopefully I can get it within the next few weeks, as I'm already itching to ride that beautiful machine :)

About helmets: I was stupid enough to sell my helmet (Shoei Hornet) when I sold off my previous bike, so now I'm on the lookout for a good, inexpensive Supermoto-style helmet. Any recommendations?

RandomXT

Here is my 2006 Honda CBR 600RR I picked up this summer - Can't wait for weather to get nice again :)

1.png

kylej

Banned

What? Who doesn't ride a motorcycle carefully? Everyone should start on a 250 or at most a 500. A Ninja 250 will outrun most vehicles on the road as is. The only reason to start with an I4 600 is ego. Stay below 70hp for your first couple years and actually learn to ride instead of being afraid to rip the throttle.

Discusguy

What? Who doesn't ride a motorcycle carefully? Everyone should start on a 250 or at most a 500. A Ninja 250 will outrun most vehicles on the road as is. The only reason to start with an I4 600 is ego. Stay below 70hp for your first couple years and actually learn to ride instead of being afraid to rip the throttle.

It must be the area you live in. I see knucklehead whipping in/out between cars all the time. Lots of people here don't wear helmets either. I started on a Ninja 500. It had nothing to do with ego. More of wanting the bike that I could afford new.

It just seems like a waste buying a 250 for a season or two of riding from where I'm coming from. Maybe if you could ride it year long. In my area 250s are really hard to sell. 600s and up sell fast and usually keep their value better. There is no shortage of quality after market parts for the 600s.

It must be the area you live in. I see knucklehead whipping in/out between cars all the time. Lots of people here don't wear helmets either. I started on a Ninja 500. It had nothing to do with ego. More of wanting the bike that I could afford new.

It just seems like a waste buying a 250 for a season or two of riding from where I'm coming from. Maybe if you could ride it year long. In my area 250s are really hard to sell. 600s and up sell fast and usually keep their value better. There is no shortage of quality after market parts for the 600s.

You proved his point.

Coins

Banned
I've already got in a ton of riding this year with this mild weather. Loving the weather so far. Nothing like the wind in your hair.

Went out with a friend for some test rides yesterday. I felt he should at least try a Ducati before he buys the FZ6 he's hell bent on getting.

We took out the Monster 1100evo (the 796 I had asked for was sold, sadly) and the new Street Triple.

The Street was fantastic, I liked it more than the Speed actually. It had more than enough power and felt much more nimble.

The 1100evo was garbage though. The engine in particular (handling was fine). I don't know if it was just that bike, but it felt awful, constricted and raw, as if I was grinding the whole thing to bits. Pretty far off from that lovely round feeling Ducati's L-twins usually provide.

Perhaps it's that the emissions restrictions are having more and more of an impact on modern bikes. The Triple wasn't as bad, but that too felt asthmatic almost.

I can't remember my own 1100s feeling quite that bad prior to the Termi and ECU mod, but it's money well spent, that's for damn sure.

I'm in a small town in Indiana for a good portion of this year and the riders just started coming out in force (it's a real blue-collar town). I have seen one person wearing a helmet. One.

Also surprising is that the only guy I saw wearing both long sleeves and pants was not the person wearing the helmet.

What the fuck is wrong with these people. I'm with a construction management company so I'm going to start harping on it at morning safety meetings.

Hello, 2-wheel Gaf!

For awhile now I've been looking at getting a motorcycle, but honestly, I feel as though I don't know as much as I should in order to enter into the 2-wheeled society. Judging by the posts in this thread, I'm quite certain you all know what you're talking about.

So, I know I'll need to take a training course, get a <500cc bike to learn on, and invest in good protective gear...but that's about as far as my knowledge goes, so any and all help would be much appreciated!

I've seen other people talk about their height and weight when looking at a bike to get, and I understand how that would affect the decision. So, I'm a 6' 3", 175lbs male and I was looking at a 1974 Honda CB400. I read that they were a good bike to start on and I'm really digging the look, although I'm not opposed to going for a Ninja like I originally intended.
I'd like to get something I would enjoy keeping for awhile, so I would prefer something more then 250cc, but there again I haven't had any experience on anything so I really don't know.

I got a LOT of roads around here that are just perfect for learning--I could probably sink most of the day into a practice ride and not go back over the same stretch of road twice and only encounter small towns and very little traffic. Gotta love living in the middle of nowhere! hahah

Soooo, yeah. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome!

Yes, you should do what you mentioned. As for the bike, if you can find one in good running order I dont' see why they'd be an issue. You'd have to make sure you feel comfortable on it. Those older bikes of that size are probably about as powerful as the Ninja 250...perhaps less since time has passed. Hard to say, because I knew a guy with a larger engine, slightly newer Triumph Daytona and it couldn't get past 55 mph. The Ninja 250 will exceed 100 mph if you push it enough. Don't think of your first bike as your last, especially if you get a smaller ride that stays in good condition. Lots of people love those bikes, and you'd have no trouble re-reselling.

Thanks! I hadn't thought about the engine being older and putting out less power, totally makes sense though. Also I understand totally about getting a feel for the bike and being comfortable with it.

A friend of mine had an older Kawasaki KLR650 until recently and he said that it would be a good starter bike. Has anyone on here ever had experience on one of those? I'd like a second opinion.

Top Bottom