• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Vita screens

Medalion

Banned
Watched some off-screen footage... it's still pretty bad even in motion, the textures are so low on the characters, it's pretty noticeable, so unless you're jumping all over the place to hide that, you can't help but focus on it, even during those slow-mo combo attacks and fatalities

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
well people are throwing up tekken on 3ds for comparison ;P

Just throwing it up to compare to the 'most visually impressive' Unreal 3 game on 'mobile platforms'.
Infinity Blade 2 shows what's wrong with MK. The Vita uses the same GPU as the iPad3, basically, and a faster CPU along with direct hardware access. There is no reason why it shouldn't be able to handle UE3 even better.

sajj316

Looks like Mortal Kombat for Vita is going to be a bad port, judging from the other fighting game screens.

Based on OS screens that dumbs down the IQ?

These OS screens are the best and worst functionality available.

It annoys the hell out of me that we can't get past screenshots and actually judge the game based on hands on experience.

M3d10n

Infinity Blade 2 shows what's wrong with MK. The Vita uses the same GPU as the iPad3, basically, and a faster CPU along with direct hardware access. There is no reason why it shouldn't be able to handle UE3 even better.

Maybe Sony is following tradition and the SDK isn't optimal yet? Something like an unfinished shader compiler can mess up things quite neatly. I also suspect they don't have a standard OpenGL ES API working right now, otherwise ports of UE3 mobile iOS games would have showed up already.

Maybe Sony is following tradition and the SDK isn't optimal yet? Something like an unfinished shader compiler can mess up things quite neatly. I also suspect they don't have a standard OpenGL ES API working right now, otherwise ports of UE3 mobile iOS games would have showed up already.

Or this is just a rushed port. Something we see a lot of in the early life span of a new console.

Still, it has a complete feature set and plays well. I'm in. MLB 12: The Show suffered from the same problem. Graphically underwhelming for a Vita title but it contained almost every feature from its console counterpart. I still play it a lot.

Khezu

Hey Lyte Edge, have you unlocked skarlets alt? I have been curious for a long time if it was going to be the same model that was found on the disk when MK9 was first released.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Metal arms comparison time!
BH6s6.jpg

10_vitasfxt09.jpg

Too bad i'll buy mk, not sfxt.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
for the people who have the game, is there a stat menu somewhere that shows you how much time you have logged into the game?

Don't see anything like this available.

Looks like Mortal Kombat for Vita is going to be a bad port, judging from the other fighting game screens.

How can a game that plays perfectly compared to its console counterparts be a bad port?

Because people are just looking at the screenshots and ignoring everything else that gets posted. :p

Isn't Infinite Blade using a different version of UE3.0 though? And it's not running at 60fps. Does IF2 even run at a solid 30fps on any iOS device?

It annoys the hell out of me that we can't get past screenshots and actually judge the game based on hands on experience.

Doesn't seem to matter in this thread. But the game also isn't officially released until Tuesday. I seem to be the only one posting impressions in this thread...I've had a very positive experience with the game but that just goes ignored and replies focus on the screenshots.

Hey Lyte Edge, have you unlocked skarlets alt? I have been curious for a long time if it was going to be the same model that was found on the disk when MK9 was first released.

Not yet. I tried clearing arcade ladder with her and didn't get anything. I got a few new alts from the bonus challenge tower so I'm assuming you get her alts there.

Cipherr

Because people are just looking at the screenshots and ignoring everything else that gets posted. :p

You keep saying that, but alot of us have watched the videos. Its 60fps but that doesn't make the texture work and geometry look any better. It still looks bad visually, especially compared to SFxT and many other games, you can keep claiming we are ignoring the videos all you want, doesn't make it any less true. The game is underwhelming visually, and i have looked at every single piece of media on it, and everything posted in this thread. And my opinion is unchanged.

You might have a point if I was accusing it of being an unfaithful port, or saying that the gameplay was butchered, or calling it unfun. But thats not what I'm doing, I'm saying the games visuals are lacking, and they are, both in motion and in direct feed screencaps. Stop regurgitating your nonsense and accusing people of ignoring video. It can still be a good game even if it not a beauty queen.

gogogow

Based on OS screens that dumbs down the IQ?

These OS screens are the best and worst functionality available.

No one is judging the game as a whole, we are ONLY judging the graphics. No one said gameplay is crap because of the graphics. OS screenshots doesn't dumb down textures, doesn't remove shaders and certainly doesn't remove polygons. As far as features go, from what i've read, it seems to be the full package and more, so content-wise it's awesome, graphics-wise not so much, which is unfortunate.

sajj316

No one is judging the game as a whole, we are ONLY judging the graphics. OS screenshots doesn't dumb down textures, doesn't remove shaders and certainly doesn't remove polygons. As far as features go, from what i've read, it seems to be the full package and more, so content-wise it's awesome, graphics-wise not so much, which is unfortunate.

Then I guess you didn't see that my response was to a poster who said it was a bad port. What I meant by dumb down the visual quality is that there is a difference between how the game looks on the OLED screen and from the OS screenshots. Yes, you are right. It doesn't remove textures, shaders, or polygons but anyone expecting a 1:1 port of the console versions has their expectation set wrong. It looks for the most part like its console brother. It plays like the console version with more features. It's 60 fps. What else do you want?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
You keep saying that, but alot of us have watched the videos.

Based on most of the posts here, a lot of you have not watched the videos. :p

Its 60fps but that doesn't make the texture work and geometry look any better. It still looks bad visually, especially compared to SFxT and many other games, you can keep claiming we are ignoring the videos all you want, doesn't make it any less true.

Except for all the posts to the contrary that are responses to screenshots.

The game is underwhelming visually, and i have looked at every single piece of media on it, and everything posted in this thread. And my opinion is unchanged.

Absolutely. That's not what I've been posting about, however.

You might have a point if I was accusing it of being an unfaithful port, or saying that the gameplay was butchered, or calling it unfun. But thats not what I'm doing,

When I made my last post, I was not specifically addressing "Cipherr."

I'm saying the games visuals are lacking, and they are, both in motion and in direct feed screencaps. Stop regurgitating your nonsense and accusing people of ignoring video. It can still be a good game even if it not a beauty queen.

That is the point I have been trying to make here.

No one is judging the game as a whole, we are ONLY judging the graphics. No one said gameplay is crap because of the graphics. OS screenshots doesn't dumb down textures, doesn't remove shaders and certainly doesn't remove polygons.

People are making posts like "canceled my pre-order," "looks like a bad port," and "was day one...but not now!" based on some screenshots. They are judging the game based on them.

As far as features go, from what i've read, it seems to be the full package and more, so content-wise it's awesome, graphics-wise not so much, which is unfortunate.

Exactly. Which is exactly what I have posted in this thread. I appear to the only one here who has the game and is posting impressions it. The other poster who got the game yesterday too hasn't posted since yesterday morning.

Guess it's my fault for posting in a screenshot thread instead of the MK Komplete Edition thread.

impact

Banned
Holy moly, this shit is horrible.

It was day 1, now I'm really not sure, unless those are pictures of an unfinished game, but I'm pretty sure it'll be like this.

Leeeet doooown. :(

Well looking at the Marvel screenshots posted above, that game looks way better on the actual Vita. Same shit with Uncharted, Wipeout, Virtua Tennis, etc. I'm sure it doesn't look as horrible when you're playing it.

gogogow

I swear, Sony should disable the Vita screenshot utility.

Disabling another feature? I don't think the Sony/Playstation/Vita brand needs the negative press now. Unless it's another loophole to run homebrew, the feature will be gone before you know it.

VanWinkle

I swear, Sony should disable the Vita screenshot utility.

You would think so, but it's usually not really the screenshots, but rather the game. I'm not denying that games do look better on the Vita than in the screenshots, but I mean, look at Virtua Tennis shots taken with the OS screenshot feature:

ibdxktGTBc8RgU.jpg

ibuVo2a4lRRahP.jpg

(images taken by LordK)

That being said, I wouldn't mind if they would reduce the actual image resolution to make it smaller and better reflect how it looks on the screen.

impact

Banned
Yea and VT looks twice as good on the actual Vita. It's probably the best looking Vita game with Rayman and BBCSEX

raven777

I watched some off-screen footage and actual trailer.

The trailer looked horrible. off-screen looked little bit better, but it was kinda hard to see.

suikodan

My interest in this game was mostly due to the Futureshop deal where I'll trade one game for this.

I was almost put off by the screens but seeing the game in action with the movies posted in this thread made me confident again that the game might be fun nonetheless.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The idea that we can have a Mortal Kombat on Vita that plays identically to the main versions, even if it is graphically downgraded, is still kind of amazing right? Or was I the only one who bought the Game Boy port of the first Mortal Kombat game?

The idea that we can have a Mortal Kombat on Vita that plays identically to the main versions, even if it is graphically downgraded, is still kind of amazing right? Or was I the only one who bought the Game Boy port of the first Mortal Kombat game?

wasn't there a psp port of a console MK that was decent?

Agent X

That's true. That's why I'm hoping that they release a demo quickly. Based on what people like Lyte Edge have posted (and I appreciate the trouble he's gone through), it seems like the game as an overall package is solid, other than the reduced quality of the models and the textures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjxANdAGBy4

Ugh. I want these costumes in the console versions now. Its silly but I pretty much stopped playing MK9 partially because I was upset with them putting Freddy in, instead of a real character and not releasing more alternate costumes. Its likely that at one point they planned to release these costumes on the console versions as the first costume pack is labelled costume pack #1, but they thought it'd be better as a Vita selling point which sucks. I would have even bought the Komplete edition if it included these costumes.

MK9 is so close to being the perfect MK game to me. Including these costumes would make it even closer to being perfect. The only things missing then would be Cyber Smoke and playable/balanced bosses.

Yeah, I'm still not convinced it will look terrible at 60FPS (something which we haven't seen yet I think). Everyone was bashing the look of MK9 last year as well till they saw it at 60FPS.

The art style doesn't lend itself very well to reduced textures/shading whereas with something like SF4 or MvC you can get away with it due to the cartoony style those games use.

Still, every time I look at MK9 Vita it makes me think they also developed the game to be ported to iOS. I'm hoping thats the case-- with NRS working on the Batman iOS game and these Mark Rein comments make me (wishfully) think that it could be coming to iOS:

UE3 is already available for that sort of stuff. I think if you were going to do a launch title for a future console, UE3 would probably be the way to go. And likewise if you were going to do something cross-generational, like Mortal Kombat on PS Vita, Xbox, PS3 and potentially it could be on iPad... that's Unreal.

I know people say fighting games = terribad on touch screens but I think SSF4 and KOFi played good enough for me.

Wasn't the DS port of UMK3 supposed to be good?

Based on the videos, this looks totally fine to me. I could nitpick, but the game looks very playable, and if the framerate is solid that's of utmost importance.

I bought MK on PS3, but didn't play it much for whatever reason. I can see myself spending more time with it on the handheld though.

Letep

Just looking at how complete this version is, I can't imagine a drop in the resolution being a game breaker. I just can't.

Hopefully when my copy arrives, I'll agree with this previous statement. :)

Well, I can think of one. They're not Epic.

Ummm game build from the ground up to take advantage of the Ipad/iphone hardware done by the owners of the engine.

Compare that.

To a port of a ps3 game, to hardware of a completely different architecture.

I can see a reason there.

kinggroin

Banned
Ummm game build from the ground up to take advantage of the Ipad/iphone hardware done by the owners of the engine.

Compare that.

To a port of a ps3 game, to hardware of a completely different architecture.

I can see a reason there.

You missed the point. Comparison aside, there really is no reason (hardware wise) the vita CAN'T outdo the ipad visuals in regards to UE3.

If I misunderstood Dark, my apologies then.

Midway Arcade Treasures 2 had good ports of MK II and III.

You couldn't even unlock Smoke in mk3 iirc because one of the required button to enter the code was used by an emulation menu from the compilation or something. Good port overall but clearly not perfect.

Afrikan

this is their first game for the Vita....and I believe this is the first UE3 engine game to run at 60fps...

they could've settled for 30fps and released a "better" looking game...but I thought people buy this game as a fighting game? where frame rate would be important.

would yall have preferred them to have it at 30fps? or 60fps, with the way yall want it to look....but you'd have to wait till next year for it.

eh, you get 60fps for now...then maybe next year when more devs are used to the system, and
Sony sends out more software tools to help out the devs...most likely then you'll get what some of yall are looking for.

smug

Banned
barely looks better than a DS game.. Vita obviously isn't as powerful as we thought.... it's already limping sales wise, it doesn't need more bad press.. poor vita.. hopefully it will hit it's stride after one year and some really great software.

Top Bottom