• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

HardRojo

I couldn't care less about OW to be honest, then again I also find games like Dota, LoL, HotS, Starcraft, AoE, Counter Strike and others really boring to spectate.

Village

I can see it, its a lot of shit happening at once, switching perspectives. Its harder to analyze than say a fighting game where everything you can at least try to point to an explain.

I feel simualrly about mobas

Every once in a while I try, to watch mobas. I go " this is the dominating force in a field i'm entertain myself in and occasionally work in i need to know how this functions and what this is as spectator thing "

and I'll be goddamned if i fail every time

I actually find spectating high level DOTA to be way more engaging than Overwatch as there's always a lot of high-level and low-level decision making constantly going on that can keep you engaged. Though if you don't KNOW anything about the MOBA, it's just a bunch of pretty colours on screen that don't really mean anything, i get that.

Worst spectator matches were the Chinese farm fests of TI3 and before, where chinese teams would just pick the most ultra late game heroes ever and just farm creeps for a straight hour before their gentleman's agreement of no killing comes to an end and then the match is over in 10 minutes.

Onemic

Only non fg esport that's good for spectating to me is StarCraft. One perspective and easy to understand even if you don't know much about the game or meta.

Overwatch is kinda casual compared to other FPS games but it has enough depth and teamplay that strategies matter. You can't just plow through people at higher levels without good coordination, and there's a decent meta to everything.

It will take years for fighting games to grow like FPS games did. FPS games did have a huge headstart, but with esports becoming a thing, fighting games will get to a bigger point someday. It's incredible that we got on TV and it's only, what, the second real year of bombastic esports stuff?

LakeEarth

Only non fg esport that's good for spectating to me is StarCraft. One perspective and easy to understand even if you don't know much about the game or meta.

Not knowing actually helps. I went to a bar to watch Starcraft once, and there was this moment where a Protoss fended off a Zerg attack and the whole crowd went wild... except me, because I saw what he lost to defend himself and knew he couldn't possibly rebuild enough to survive the next wave. Everyone else was hyped.

Moaradin

In the corner as Menat?

5j1fqvja1ftv4mvlx_tei4lsyv.jpg

so game is completely dead on pc? twice ive logged on in the last week and couldnt get a ranked match in 10 mins of searching each time

No, and even then the game has cross-play with PS4.

If you haven't done so already, then make sure you are forwarding the relevant ports. That can have a pretty big effect on both match-making times and connection qualities.

LakeEarth

There was a time where I could go brush my teeth or something while waiting for a match. Those days are gone after the last few online patches. Now 30 second to 1 minute wait is the norm for me (NA).

Ucchedavāda;248869061 said:
No, and even then the game has cross-play with PS4.

If you haven't done so already, then make sure you are forwarding the relevant ports. That can have a pretty big effect on both match-making times and connection qualities.

ps4 players can block pc from matchmaking. its not my ports unless something changed on streetfighters end within the last 6 months

Onemic

so game is completely dead on pc? twice ive logged on in the last week and couldnt get a ranked match in 10 mins of searching each time

This has happened to me once before, where I had to wait 30+ minutes to find a match. It's just capcom mm randomly shitting the bed. I think just exiting the game and logging back in would fix it.

People play that shit competitively

Comp toxic as shit for a reason. Can you say its trying if people are taking it ass competitive?

Exactly. People are taking the game way too competitively and it doesn't come off as game that should be taken like that.
Its a casual game that people are trying to take competitive when really it doesn't work well like that and competitive play just comes off as boring.

But that's just my opinion and it is clearly a minority considering the amount of money going into this league.

Village

Exactly. People are taking the game way too competitively and it doesn't come off as game that should be taken like that.

I don't think that's for you to decide.

There was a guy on twitter the other day , the mother's basement guy who tried to argue that competitive smash was the game being " limited and played the wrong way". The community gets to decide what is or isn't competitive.

If you told me a weird ass game with cars and soccer balls was going to be the hot competitive shit, i would have told you are a fucking liar.

Here we are

I don't think that's for you to decide.

There was a guy on twitter the other day , the mother's basement guy who tried to argue that competitive smash was the game being " limited and played the wrong way". The community gets to decide what is or isn't competitive.

If you told me a weird ass game with cars and soccer balls was going to be the hot competitive shit, i would have told you are a fucking liar.

Here we are

And you're right. I was just trying to give the reason behind why I don't understand OW as an esport.

where would i look for this?

streetfighterv_2017_0l8u0r.jpg

streetfighterv_2017_09ouuy.jpg
Yeah it would be like right next to your name and on your profile. I'd agree about playing a few casuals.

And you're right. I was just trying to give the reason behind why I don't understand OW as an esport.

Yeah it would be like right next to your name and on your profile. I'd agree about playing a few casuals.

Last time i played was roughly around akuma release why do i have to play casual matches now?

Googled the handshake icon and it seems to be related to rage quitting which ive never done

Last time i played was roughly around akuma release why do i have to play casual matches now?

Googled the handshake icon and it seems to be related to rage quitting which ive never done
If you haven't played since before the system was implemented, you need play a few games to let it know.

Well there's been quite a few updates since Akumas release and basically the handshake symbol notes who is a good sport and who isn't.

I'm not sure if this is exact but my best guess is MM is considering you as a bad sport since you don't have the good sport symbol so it's probably trying to connect you to other bad sports which will take longer.

Well there's been quite a few updates since Akumas release and basically the handshake symbol notes who is a good sport and who isn't.

I'm not sure if this is exact but my best guess is MM is considering you as a bad sport since you don't have the good sport symbol so it's probably trying to connect you to other bad sports which will take longer.

Yeah its not like i have a 30+ hour history of not rage quitting in ranked or anything. Is capcom trying to piss off its player base

If those 30 hours are from before they implemented the system to detect and punish people who rage quit, they don't really mean anything to the system.

Why wouldnt it? Its not like the data magically up and disappears nor am i likely to just strt rage quitting all of the sudden when i didnt before where it was completely risk free

Why wouldnt it? Its not like the data magically up and disappears nor am i likely to just strt rage quitting all of the sudden when i didnt before where it was completely risk free
There's no reason to think that Capcom recorded data about how often you rage quit prior to their implement the new system. There is likely no data.

mbpm1

Worse comes to worst: V-reversal, take your punish if they catch you, but be out of the corner and back to neutral (where she thrives).

Some characters can get an oki knockdown straight up on a v-reversal. You got worse stun than before, and a worst position, corner or not.

Trickster

I can't figure out what it is that makes Ed's psycho upper such a retardely broken attack, it's basically just a dp right? Yet it seems like it's way better and more often used?

Edzi

I can't figure out what it is that makes Ed's psycho upper such a retardely broken attack, it's basically just a dp right? Yet it seems like it's way better and more often used?

It's not that good, you're just letting people mash it out on you. Either bait it out or tighten up your strings.

Overwatch seems like the most boring thing to spectate.
I've really cooled down on playing the game itself, but watching it has always been akin to watching paint dry. It is just the blandest spectating experience. The only Overwatch viewing experience I actually enjoy is watching harbleu but that's more for the personality than the gameplay.

It's not that good as a yolo reversal, it's like Urien's EX headbutt. You can safely pressure them on wake-up with jabs and shorts (some character medium meaties work as well) and if they go for it you'll recover in time to block. Slow start-up.

Trickster

I can't figure out how players like sakomoto or go1 pull of Menats crazy vtrigger combo. I'm looking at it frame by frame and it looks like they fire off orbs not associated with any of the buttons they are pressing

Top Bottom