• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

So where's the asynchronous online in this thing? I hate the lobby system in these games and the fact that I have to wait 50 seconds for the next round even though everyone is done with the hole.

krae_man

Got the #1 score in the second daily. -6 on Kagurayama Country Club back 9.

Is there a way to see how people on your friends list did on these? Or is that not in effect yet till the 22nd?

krae_man

Man all the online tournments are friendlies and nobody is online right now. Oh well, guess I'll play the single player.

TripOpt55

I am leaning towards getting this as my third game for the Target deal next week. Haven't bought one since Fore on PS2, but have always enjoyed the demos. I think I will be jumping back in.

I remember the PSP one used to piss me off every time I played it. Hopefully there's an easier learning curve on this one. If I had a Vita, this is probably one of the first games I would get.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
And Vita battery is dead, haha. Hot Shots ate my battery. So far, putting is keeping me from advancing. I could shoot -14 or so ez if it weren't for my terrible putting. I shot like a -6 on the Maple course with God knows how many missed birdie putts...

depward

I buckled. Grabbing this with a Vita next week. My PSN or whatever is depward.

I'll send some invites to folks then.

Can't wait to play the crap out of this!

Gaspode_T

I can't wait to see the reactions when people get to Silver courses (unless the game has been nerfed for Western audience)

Huge amount of grinding is necessarily to unlock everything, sometimes they have "30% off days" so maybe save up points for those days.

frequency

You just sit in a room with a bunch of other people and you can chat and hop around and stuff.
At any time, you can go to the tournament menu and it lists all tournaments that you can join.

alterno69

Banned
How many courses are in this game? I remember getting bored of the same few courses on the first PSP version years ago, i need variety in the courses.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I can't wait to see the reactions when people get to Silver courses (unless the game has been nerfed for Western audience)

Huge amount of grinding is necessarily to unlock everything, sometimes they have "30% off days" so maybe save up points for those days.

???

yeah im not far in and was already thinking theres going to be grinding involved. Just what i want in a GOLF game.

Gaspode_T

I wouldn't say the game is easy at all, it's quite mind numbingly hard on later courses. You have to get a sense of where to hit and how hard to hit that comes from practice and builds up your intuition (unless you do some sort of math to figure it out). Some golf games seem more like "if you hit it where the little flag marker is on the power dial, the ball will go in the hole", this is not like that at all...you have to consider wind, the type of club, the type of surface, how you hit the ball (super impact, triangle or X, spin or no spin)

I saw lots of my friends in Japan tweeting that they were having a hard time once you start getting to later courses but maybe that's "par for the course" for this series (please don't throw tomatoes)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
In practice mode...I'm trying to figure something out. What difference does using X, Triangle, or O during impact? Also, what reward do you get for loyalty level 1? I never read it when I level a new character...blah

What learning curve? One of the easiest pick up and play series there is.

Your skill in hsg games rely a lot on how good you are with timing your shot. If you have difficulty with that, well nothing you can do even if you're expert in analyzing course, wind etc

In practice mode...I'm trying to figure something out. What difference does using X, Triangle, or O during impact? Also, what reward do you get for loyalty level 1? I never read it when I level a new character...blah

X lower the power a bit, triangle ups the range, and circle stays the same, these shot adjustment is only available afte your first loyalty level. When you first play it you cant adjust power during impact.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
X lower the power a bit, triangle ups the range, and circle stays the same, these shot adjustment is only available afte your first loyalty level. When you first play it you cant adjust power during impact.

I have been playing Hot Shots Golf for over ten years and did not know this... omg it all makes sense now. Why I often come up short near the greens and have been overcompensating forever.

L.O.L.

frequency

I think this game becomes quite hard.

It's easy at first, but when they start throwing strong winds, weather, weird structures in the middle of the course, crazy slopes, etc, it becomes difficult.

I was doing really well at first, but like hit a wall where it just... nothing ever went where I wanted it to go. I'd spend forever throwing grass to try to see how hard the wind is blowing and all that, but still, it's like those bunkers and water are magnets or something!

And putting is really hard in later courses. After some practice, I often get to near the hole and have a chance at a birdie. But it's like... I just can't get the putting down.
My timing is pretty good. I don't get that many bunnies or turtles. But the way things slope and the wind and everything still throws me off my target.

Also, it doesn't do very well at teaching you. If I never played Pangya, I would never know what the point of curving or backspin or any of that is.
And I'm not sure what the percentages at the bottom right are.

The cutesy style and approachability of the first few leagues is deceptive.

This is a hard game. But I still like it.

Duffyside

Banned
^ Yeah, I only ever played the Hot Shots demo (but I played it for like 40 hours), in wait of a version with trophies. This game seems much harder. Even the timing is on shots is more narrow.

But man, I love this game just as much as I thought I would. One thing that did bother me about Hot Shots was the music, but in this game I got to the second course and my complaint now is that they stop that awesome music when putting or finishing a hole. So relaxing!

This game is really addictive; played it at home for five times longer than I wanted to at this point. And it will be so perfect on the go. I can play 18 holes over a course of a day, one hole at a time when the moment comes.

How many courses are in this game? I remember getting bored of the same few courses on the first PSP version years ago, i need variety in the courses.
There are six full courses in the game. I have no idea if they're varied or not.
Entered the online pass, nothing happened. Now the code is invalid and I cant get online. wtf
Try contacting customer support. The can probably see which account the code is tied to.

Gaspode_T

I'm very disappointed this game isn't native res. It doesn't really look very good as a result. Oh well.

I don't know, I think it looks fine...crystal clear and the course with the boats in the water...mmm...

Pro tip: When you see a building, stay the hell away from it...you can easily get stuck in some pretty weird places like under a ledge of a temple

legbone

is there a wind sock or something you can buy so you can find out the mph of the wind? if i remember right, in past games they would tell you the wind speed after you took your first shot. using the grass works but i'm used to calculating my shots based upon the wind speed and elevation. kind of more guesswork now.

Gaspode_T

is there a wind sock or something you can buy so you can find out the mph of the wind? if i remember right, in past games they would tell you the wind speed after you took your first shot. using the grass works but i'm used to calculating my shots based upon the wind speed and elevation. kind of more guesswork now.

Usually it's easy to tell if there is strong wind or not just by watching the trees and grass blowing without doing anything, I didn't know you can toss grass and I've played the game for like 20 hours...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm going to try and see what I can figure out regarding multiplayer over lunch today. I really really really hope we can play lobbies or whatever. There was the option for an 8-player tourney or something. May look into that...

Also, There are only 6 distinct courses I think, but I'm pretty sure you can unlock mirror versions of said courses. One of the challenges has you playing the course on mirror, so who knows.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

there is an arrow showing wind direction, that animates to show you approximate windspeed.

But why does it have a ?m below it? I thought in previous games if you drop enough grass, it'd fill in the speed under the arrow, but it doesn't seem to on vita.

I'm pretty sure the game is supposed to have game rooms with custom games, but it might need to wait for a patch.

Top Bottom