• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF plays: Final Fantasy 8

Aeana

gpff8-banner.jpg

Over the holidays, Himuro made an interesting thread called "GAF plays Final Fantasy VII". The response was much greater than I personally expected, and I also had a great time participating in it. Some people expressed interest in a similar thread for Final Fantasy 8, so I thought maybe I'd create it. I also thought that perhaps this kind of thread would make a good series for GAF -- that is, threads created with the simple goal of getting many GAF members to participate in playthroughs of specific games. Even if some members don't want to actively participate themselves, perhaps they'd like to at least read the posts made by others!

So, here's thread #2 in what will hopefully become a series of threads, "GAF plays." Periodic updates of your progress are encouraged, as are screenshots. I will personally be starting my playthrough on Friday (January 11), but feel free to start whenever you'd like. I've made the thread this far in advance simply to give people some prior notice and more opportunities to join in.

hr.png

In the FF7 thread, someone suggested that a "how to play and get the most out of FF8" guide be added to the first post of this thread.

Himuro said:
I think this is my longest post. Ever. You fuckers better make use of this information, I was typing it while watching the glorious American Gladiators.

The first thing one must know about understanding Final Fantasy VIII is that, that first and foremost, enemies level up as you do. Now, usually this would not be much of a problem, but in Final Fantasy VIII, enemy stats grow rapidly as they level up, adding new attacks to their repertoire, and even changing what items they drop. In comparison, your stats tend to not increase greatly. This is because levels do not mean much in FFVIII.

Now, in order to maximize stats in FFVIII, you must unlearn every thing you have been taught in RPG school: the lower the level, the better; Magic in battle tends to mean jack squat, instead, you use abilities and skills to get the most out of battle. Now, the fun thing about Final Fantasy VIII is its versatility; you can make the game much more challenging by leveling up, not upping your stats with GF abilities, you can make party members that concentrate on individual traits, or make them all the same. You will find yourself getting weaker while the enemies continue to get stronger: beat Ultimecia with a level 100 party without GF stat upgrades and all that fancy stuff, I dare you.

Final Fantasy VIII is a very versatile rpg, which allows a lot of customization and players can choose their own specific play styles, these are not required but I truly feel that they make the game a lot more enjoyable. I didn't like Final Fantasy VIII the first time I played it, but a few years ago I gave it another shot and played it with more experience under my belt and began to fully appreciate what Square had did here: one of the best character customization systems ever. It became my favorite Final Fantasy after that, and one of my top 5 games ever.

How to get the most out of Final Fantasy VIII:

1. Levels do not mean much at all. The lower the level, the easier time you will have. The higher the level, the harder time you will have.

2. Junctions are crucial. Through junctions, you can obtain stats like this at a low level:

stats4.jpg

stats2.jpg

Yes, these are my own screens from a previous playthrough. Junctions > Levels

3. Drawing is not the only way to obtain magic. It is best to draw all you can from new enemies whenever they show up, and then convert those weak spells you got into higher level magic, thusly creating more powerful junctions. That, and converting monsters into cards for powerful magic, or items into magic can take you far.

I'll use an example. At the beginning of the game, you can make your HP sooo high. Simply go to Balamb and buy tons of Tents, and turn them into Curagas. Heal magic works EXTREMELY well on HP. Antidotes, on the other hand, can be turned into Bio's. Bio is a good early game magic for junctioning as well. Look into it. Experimentations is what makes FFVIII so fun.

4. In order to make drawing less tedious, you must have a good magic stat.

5. Using magic to attack is almost meaningless in Final Fantasy VIII, but I'm not going to stop you from using it. Me? I don't use it because I need as much magic as possible for junctions.

6. GF abilities. This is REALLY important. The first thing you should always learn is boost. This allows you to boost your GFs and make their attacks more powerful. Simply hold select and mash on Square when necessary.

After that, you should definitely go for the elemental atk-j, elemental def-j, str-j, vit-j, mag-j. Elemental defense-J and attack-j allow you to guard against certain elementals, or attack with certain elementals. Obviously, the higher the stat, the more powerful the ability works. This is handy when fighting against certain enemies, for example, the giant Mecha Spider at the beginning of the game, it's good to equip Thunder to your characters Elemental-ATK since it is weak against it. Strength-J allows you to customize your strength stat, likewise with Magic-J and Vitality-J allow you to customize those specific stats.

After that, concentrate on Magic-RF abilities. Abilities such as T Mag-RF, L Mag-RF, Mid Mag-RF, I-Mag RF;etc. These allow you to turn things into spells. With this, you can do crazy stuff like turn Tents into Curagas.

At the beginning of the game, the best place for AP is the Balamb coast, where you can fight the flying goldfish guys. They give 2 AP a fight, and are extremely weak. You can cover many GF abilities fighting them, in no time.

7. Specific GF abilities you can should concentrate on ASAP at the beginning of the game. We'll concentrate on more powerful GFs later on while you guys are actually playing.

Diablos:

MUG - steal from enemies while giving them damage.

Enc-half - Decreases encounter rate to HALF the normal rate.

Enc-none - Decreases random encounters to zero. For players like me who like to speed run FFIVII, this is one of the first abilities you should get. Whenever you get to a new area, turn it off so you can update your magic from enemies through drawing and card'ing them.

Quetzacotl: Card - turn enemies into cards, for those of you doing a low level game, you earn no EXP.

Card Mod - turns cards you earn into items.

Ifrit:

Str+20% - increases str stat 20%
Str+40% - increases str stat 40%

8. Power gaming. Now, the key to getting the most out of power gaming FFVIII is the low levels. You will notice that some GFs have abilities that increase your stats by 1 point when you level up, which is STACKED ON TOP OF YOUR REGULAR LEVEL UP BOOSTS. To take advantage of this, you only learn such abilities at a low level. Let's say my level 10 Squall equips a Strength bonus ability. When I ever decide to level him up, he will gain 90 extra points in str. That is how you maximize stat potential in FFVIII. Junctions can only do so much. Doing this not only allows you to stand toe to toe with the foes you face, it also frees up your GF command abilities, allowing you equip more interesting abilities like Devour, Mad-Rush;etc. instead of wasting space with puny abilities like Str+20%, Str+40%, HP+20%;etc.

Now, how do you stay at a low level the entire game? Many ways:

1. Running away - the most simplistic measure, but also the most boring.
2. Turning enemies into cards - This is the way I go. You not only gain zero XP, you also benefit from gaining a card of the enemy in question, which equates to more magic.
3. Break - Casting break petrifies enemies, which ends the battle immediately when all enemies are petrified. In order to take advantage of this trick, though, you have to cast it at the beginning of a fight. You earn any xp for whatever actions you did you against the enemy, this is why it's crucial to cast at the beginning of a fight.
4. Enc-None - The best way to not level up is not fight at all!

It would be boring if you did this stuff the entire game, it entirely depends on your playstyle. I won't stop folks from leveling up in the game, but at least take into consideration that there's 1. More ways to obtain magic than drawing, 2. FFVIII is a very versatile game, and you can make it as hard or as easy as you want.

I've written so much, I wanna take a break. I will update when necessary. Have fun, GAF!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It begins!

Well crud, I have to abandon my FF VII playthrough! Need to keep current. Plus with that promised guide--I might actually finish VIII!

h3ro

We should all start the same day and since people that are still going through VII also want to be part of this run through, I propose that we all start on the 11th... what say you GAF?

Aeana said:
[...]
In the FF7 thread, someone suggested that a "how to play and get the most out of FF8" guide be added to the first post of this thread. Himuro's currently working on that, and I'll add it here when he's done.
That's bloody brilliant.
I played it way back in the day till halfway before getting upset with the constant summoning to dish out some damage. Only to learn that's not how to play the game at all.

Count me in this time, wanna get it off my backlog :lol

ghibli99

Have fun, everyone... I'm never playing this one again, but I'm definitely going to follow the thread to see how folks are doing.

Roxas

I think we should all start waaaaay before Aeana if her runthrough of FF7 is anything to go by :lol

I hated this game... I was so damn hyped for it when it came out and bought it day one. Then the story progressed and I couldn't finish it because it was so shitty. "We all knew each other in the past! Woohoo! It's amazing we forgot!" Because of summons or some shit?

And playing in the past or whatever with those three soldiers were so damn boring, I couldn't take it.

Aeana

Himuro said:
I was telling Aeana it was too early for this thread the other day!

I don't think it's too early for the thread. The majority of the playthroughs won't start until this weekend, which gives people more time to finish FF7. Making the thread on Friday and saying "Okay, start now!" is pretty inconsiderate!

Himuro said:
It's great to add something to gaf for once.

Working on the post, Aeana!
Thanks for helping out, it haunts me till today never having put in the effort of figuring out the inner workings of the junction system.

InsertCredit said:
Thanks for helping out, it haunts me till today never having put in the effort of figuring out the inner workings of the junction system.
Ugh, don't remind me.

I'm still playing FFVII again though... I've played it about 5 times and remember everything about it. The breeding of Chocobos get easier every time.

Interesting, I might have to participate. I completed the game many moons ago but every attempt at a second or third playthrough has always ended prematurely. This thread might be just what it takes to stay the course all the way through.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Gaffers playing videogames? OMG!!!

I won't actually participate but I'll still lurk around as the FF7 thread was a nice read. Enjoy the game!

EDIT : If those thread are going to stay around with need a criptic acronym to name them. Gaf plays won't confuse Juniors!!! GGttP (Gaf Goes to the Party)?

Trevelyan

Banned
I actually just started playing this about a week ago and am at the prison escape on disc 2. Perfect timing!! Easily my most favorite FF game.

Oh yeah, also playing it on my original PS1. Damn thing is going on 11 years and still works perfectly :lol

Himuro said:
I would like to emphasize that we are not making these threads for people to troll the games in question. If you are not interested in playing, we do not want to know if you hate the game or not.

Just an FYI.
I'm sorry. How dare I discuss the game in a topic about the same game. What was I thinking?

I was actually hoping someone would change my mind, but nevermind.

I'll join you on FF 9.

Aeana

I don't mind intelligent discussion about the game's faults. I just don't see the point of "oh man this game sucks not playin' it bye."

Red Scarlet

DEADLY SOCCER BALLS
tkjunk.gif

If I were to play later on (which I might after FF4 DS possibly) I'd be using Seifer+Edea, does anyone else use them?

Chris R

If I can find this in a local store used for under 10$ I'll join as I never got past a few hours into the second disc.

Onemic

Red Scarlet said:
DEADLY SOCCER BALLS
tkjunk.gif

If I were to play later on (which I might after FF4 DS possibly) I'd be using Seifer+Edea, does anyone else use them?

You can't considering the fact that both characters are in your party temporarily.(seifer in a small segment int he very beginning of the game and edea in a small portion of the second disc)

I usually use Zell(By and far my favorite side character in any FF game) and some other character. It's funny because I've played FFVIII so many time, but I've never beaten it usually due to save game issues(Once I was on the last disc and my memory card was stolen and then lost by my friends little sister and another time by my brother overwriting his new game with one of my saves on the last disc)

This time though I'm going to be playing through the game on my psp, so hopefully I won't have any similar issues.

Oh and FFVIII has the best soundtrack of all the FF's.

Red Scarlet

So many people don't know how to use roman numerals and it's just easier and normal to use normal numbers. I commend Aeana.

onemic said:
You can't considering the fact that both characters are in your party temporarily.(seifer in a small segment int he very beginning of the game and edea in a small portion of the second disc)

You obviously can, just look at who's getting hit by the junk. Yeah, you need a gameshark to do it, but I have a good time using both of them instead.

Bunny

cool, i still own a copy of FFVIII that i have never played.
oh man, aren't these threads filled with spiolers though?

bard

These threads are awesome. Kinda like NaNoWriMo, but for playing good games. When everybody's doing it it's like I have an excuse to actually sit down and play. I'm in for FFVIII, my favorite in the series by far. Except... drawing spells can be a nuisance, but oh well.

Red Scarlet

Aeana said:
"VIII" looked tacky when I had it in the banner, so I used "8."

Sorry. It's still the same number.

Don't apologize. It's stupid to type out roman numerals 99% of the time.

Where were all the people when I played through the series in order, anyone could've joined then. :'(

Love the idea behind these threads. VIII is tempting, but I'll wait for X as I never finished that one. I'll keep reading, though!

Red Scarlet said:

Where were all the people when I played through the series in order, anyone could've joined then. :'(
I guess the task felt a little daunting :lol

Still the turnout at these 'GAF plays' threads exceed expectations. Wicked.

Red Scarlet said:
DEADLY SOCCER BALLS
tkjunk.gif

As a big Seifer fan, I'd love to use him the entire game. Alas, no GS.

tnw

Banned
Red Scarlet said:

Plus it's much easier to distinguish from 'GAF Plays: Final Fantasy VII': people would totally end up posting in the wrong thread.

kudos on the arabic numerals choice.

edit: oh, just saw your kraid quick kill avatar scarlet :D

I just watched this game on a you tube walkthrough. user name goingcrazy201 posted the ENTIRE game, so if you get stuck or something you can reference that

Here's part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zv2Ki6_VNY

I can't say I'm a big fan of this one, but It'll be fun to watch everyone who does like it playing.

I played through this one again awhile back...like less than a year ago.
It's probably the only FF next to FF10 that I've actually been.....well...moved by. Some of the scenes between Squall and Rinoa are great stuff.

Maybe one day I'll do a playthrough where I actually make Lionheart. I've only played through the game three times now. =/

Red Scarlet

Mac the KNife said:
As a big Seifer fan, I'd love to use him the entire game. Alas, no GS.

I have a Dex Drive somewhere, but all the saves I have that have him in the party are the Japanese version only. :(

Top Bottom