• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2017 | He11o Darkest My Old Friend

Oynox

The AR demo was really cool, especially for a miniatures lover (still not seeing THAT widespread...can't play in bed, etc...) and the iPhone X screen looks impressive but....the no home button gestures, unless you can disable them somehow, are going to be a nightmare when gaming.

To me it certainly looks gimmicky. I cannot think of myself truly enjoying AR games like other games when I always need some kind of flat surface to move around. As you mentioned playing in bed is impossible, as is playing in transit or generally on the go outside. Even at home while just chilling on the sofa it might be difficult if you do not want to get up.

PittaGAF

To me it certainly looks gimmicky. I cannot think of myself truly enjoying AR games like other games when I always need some kind of flat surface to move around. As you mentioned playing in bed is impossible, as is playing in transit or generally on the go outside. Even at home while just chilling on the sofa it might be difficult if you do not want to get up.

TBH unless for specific types of games (I'm drooling about a Games Workshop miniature AR game, or Star Wars chess) I personally never thought AR that big in games.
After a bit the novelty wears off.
It will be amazing in many other ways tough....from Ikea to lipstick/hairstyles app to every sort of sci-fi things we never dreamed of (this is just the start...I can see a connected pair of glasses in Apple future).

Nobody mention it, but if Pokemon go is any indication, AR will destroy battery too.

TBH unless for specific types of games (I'm drooling about a Games Workshop miniature AR game, or Star Wars chess) I personally never thought AR that big in games.
After a bit the novelty wears off.
It will be amazing in many other ways tough....from Ikea to lipstick/hairstyles app to every sort of sci-fi things we never dreamed of (this is just the start...I can see a connected pair of glasses in Apple future).

Nobody mention it, but if Pokemon go is any indication, AR will destroy battery too.
I'm more excited for AR in non gaming uses, but an AR The Room could be amazing. Or an AR detective game that transforms the area around you into a crime scene to investigate

PittaGAF

I'm more excited for AR in non gaming uses, but an AR The Room could be amazing. Or an AR detective game that transforms the area around you into a crime scene to investigate

I'm pretty sure I watched a video of a crime AR game just today.
Looked cool!

Didn’t watch live but pretty embarrassing that Face ID failed at the demo.
It seems much more frustrating to use than Touch ID. Right now, I can open up my phone as I'm pulling it out my pocket or while I'm not looking at the screen. Doesn't like you can do that with Face ID

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It didn’t? Reading a bunch of stories that said it did. I’ll have to check out the video of the demo. Curious about how it works anyway since it also involves swipes from what I understand.

it was the first time the phone turned on, kind of how like touch id doesn't work the first time either

awp69

it was the first time the phone turned on, kind of how like touch id doesn't work the first time either

OK. Well, there’s a lot of press out there misrepresenting it then (not to mention a ton of Tweets making fun of it).

—

Downloaded the soft launch of Sdorica, the latest Rayark game (Implosion, Cytus). Pretty impressive. It’s a casual, level based side-scrolling RPG. Gorgeous artwork.

Gameplay is relatively simple having to kind of swipe blocks that are the same color to trigger attacks by the characters (based on said color). While you are matching them it tells you the type of attack and amount of damage it will do. Not complex but really games that you just select the type of attack aren’t either.

It’s F2P with no timers. Not sure if there will be a paywall as far as currency to buy stuff but Rayark has been fairly generous in things like their rhythm games so hopefully not bad.

Booyah!
the iPhone X screen looks impressive but....the no home button gestures, unless you can disable them somehow, are going to be a nightmare when gaming.
Yeah, I don't know how that's going to work with any game where you do swiping gestures, or pan your view around.

Also not a fan of the X's cutout for the camera. Looks bigger than I thought it would be, and I REALLY hope that games not made with it in mind aren't going to have that chunk cut out of them. I hope they'll just black out the side with the cutout, but even that I don't think I'd love, since it'll make the screen look shifted to the side. :/
I'm sure it's something you get used to over time though.

awp69

No Square announcement that I heard of but all the GO games are on sale for $.99 if you don’t have one of them. Deus Ex: The Fall is also a buck.

bonesquad

Also not a fan of the X's cutout for the camera. Looks bigger than I thought it would be, and I REALLY hope that games not made with it in mind aren't going to have that chunk cut out of them. I hope they'll just black out the side with the cutout, but even that I don't think I'd love, since it'll make the screen look shifted to the side. :/

I've searched around for answer to this and can't find one. And it's not just the sensor housing, but the rounded corners on the other end. How do existing apps look? Are those areas just lost? The same about video. The X does have a higher resolution, and so maybe those extra pixels are for those non-standard areas which are used optionally?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
FYI iTunes 12.7 removes the iOS App Store and ability to download and mange iOS apps

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/12/apple-itunes-12-7-no-app-store/

Hmmm that's not great.

As a developer, browsing the App Store via iTunes across different countries provides a really good understanding of the featuring landscape and what is popular across the globe. Especially useful for diving into individual games of interest, looking at reviews, and related games to try to learn more about the gamers and their preferences.

There are data driven approaches to derive that, but I think that doesn't build the same kind of intuition and mental model about things.

Jarsonot

It seems much more frustrating to use than Touch ID. Right now, I can open up my phone as I'm pulling it out my pocket or while I'm not looking at the screen. Doesn't like you can do that with Face ID

But don't you pretty much immediately look at your screen after unlocking it? Maybe there are some weird use cases, but if I unlock my phone, 99% of the time it's because I want to look at it for some reason. If merely looking at it does the unlocking, I guess it'll be fine?

I don't know. It does seem like a step backward, and I'm not sold on Face ID, but thinking about it... when don't I look at my phone?

PittaGAF

I've seen videos on how the iPhone X cope with having the ears, expecially on landscape (they obviously get in the way).

Double tapping on a video or picture get bezel all around (getting 'rid' of the ears).

I wonder how existing apps will look on he new iPhone.
Black bezel alla around too unless updated?

killercow

I've seen videos on how the iPhone X cope with having the ears, expecially on landscape (they obviously get in the way).

Double tapping on a video or picture get bezel all around (getting 'rid' of the ears).

I wonder how existing apps will look on he new iPhone.
Black bezel alla around too unless updated?

It has to. The app won't know the new form factor unless updated for it. Or at least that's how I understand it :)

Edit: Here's Apple explanation on this:

"Most apps that use standard, system-provided UI elements like navigation bars, tables, and collections automatically adapt to the device's new form factor. Background materials extend to the edges of the display and UI elements are appropriately inset and positioned.". If it hides the status bar it seems that it won't be adapting:
https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

Holy cow at that benchmark for the X though:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3967901

Can't wait to see what this sort of chip and an Apple designed GPU will achieve in the next iPads.

Curious to see more of Sky, especially about this "ever expanding" world that apparently will be constantly updated with new "levels".

Oynox

Sorry for the off topic but I did not find the correspondent topic in the OT and hope you fellow iOS gamers might help.

My mum owns an iPad Air 2 and we want to buy her a suitable iPhone. The most important thing is that both devices will be "on par" software and compatibility wise. My mum tends to use her devices a long time (she still rocks an iPhone 4) so it really is important that both iPad and iPhone will end software support on the same iOS version to prevent incompatibilities.

Which iPhone will have the same life span as the Air 2? The 5S or 6?

I remember that there was a website which kept track of how long Apple tends to support devices but I forget the name of it.

Interfectum

Hmmm that's not great.

As a developer, browsing the App Store via iTunes across different countries provides a really good understanding of the featuring landscape and what is popular across the globe. Especially useful for diving into individual games of interest, looking at reviews, and related games to try to learn more about the gamers and their preferences.

There are data driven approaches to derive that, but I think that doesn't build the same kind of intuition and mental model about things.

Yup. I'm gonna miss this. It was a super easy way to flip back and forth between countries.

Sorry for the off topic but I did not find the correspondent topic in the OT and hope you fellow iOS gamers might help.

My mum owns an iPad Air 2 and we want to buy her a suitable iPhone. The most important thing is that both devices will be "on par" software and compatibility wise. My mum tends to use her devices a long time (she still rocks an iPhone 4) so it really is important that both iPad and iPhone will end software support on the same iOS version to prevent incompatibilities.

Which iPhone will have the same life span as the Air 2? The 5S or 6?

I remember that there was a website which kept track of how long Apple tends to support devices but I forget the name of it.

It'll be tricky for a number of reasons. One is that Apple usually has a reason to stop supporting a device - RAM, processor arch or power, or so on. None of us can predict what that will be. In fact I don't anticipate them killing support for any devices for at least a few years.

Secondly, iPads and iPhones are not synchronized on the same specs. So there's not really a clean comparable iPad version to each generation of phone.

I think you could get an Air or an Air 2 but don't be surprised if you don't get what you want from this. Instead you'd be better off getting whatever you can find cheap and then telling her not to upgrade iOS when the phone is no longer supported. (But even that might not guarantee that the apps themselves will stay compatible either - plus as an app developer I must of course note that you should always update iOS, please, for my sake)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
No more local backups of new apps is the big loss. You can still load up de-listed older apps you already have the .ipa files backed up for but anything new you won't be able to get the full .ipa for to begin with anymore.

Sigh. I absolutely understand why Apple would want to limit people's access to .ipa files due to piracy but man, this stings.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No more local backups of new apps is the big loss. You can still load up de-listed older apps you already have the .ipa files backed up for but anything new you won't be able to get the full .ipa for to begin with anymore.

Sigh. I absolutely understand why Apple would want to limit people's access to .ipa files due to piracy but man, this stings.

So does that mean older games that are delisted won't show up in my Purchased tab anymore??

Oynox

It'll be tricky for a number of reasons. One is that Apple usually has a reason to stop supporting a device - RAM, processor arch or power, or so on. None of us can predict what that will be. In fact I don't anticipate them killing support for any devices for at least a few years.

Secondly, iPads and iPhones are not synchronized on the same specs. So there's not really a clean comparable iPad version to each generation of phone.

I think you could get an Air or an Air 2 but don't be surprised if you don't get what you want from this. Instead you'd be better off getting whatever you can find cheap and then telling her not to upgrade iOS when the phone is no longer supported. (But even that might not guarantee that the apps themselves will stay compatible either - plus as an app developer I must of course note that you should always update iOS, please, for my sake)

Alright then. I guess then it comes down to choose something remotely similar. Either a 5S from one year earlier with an A7 chip or an iPhone 6 with an A8 which probably would be much better. Thank you, protonium too!

awp69

With the Apple presser yesterday had hoped there would be some big surprise game releases this week, but I guess not. :(

awp69

I am waiting on impression on this, especially in regard to how much RTS it really is.

I’ve only played a few levels but it is more RTS than their previous games IMO. More moving around with various types of troops and less tower building. In fact, you move to different parts of the map and only see that part of the map — not the whole thing like in the Kingdom Rush games.

Might get more “towers” as it progresses, but definitely feels more RTS and less TD for me.

That said, it’s really, really good so far. The IAPs for currency concern me a bit but, hopefully, it’s balanced enough that you don’t need them.

baconcow

For anyone who was in the iOS 11 Public Beta, I had my iPad automatically update (yesterday, at some point), and automatically remove the iOS Public Beta profile. The only time I had the iPad plugged in was during the early hours of the morning (long before the conference started). Otherwise, when I turned on my iPad, last night, it was 100% charged, had iOS 11 (didn't say Beta, anymore), and without the profile option, in General > Settings (which means it must have been removed, automatically). Odd. Any explanation?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
For anyone who was in the iOS 11 Public Beta, I had my iPad automatically update (yesterday, at some point), and automatically remove the iOS Public Beta profile. The only time I had the iPad plugged in was during the early hours of the morning (long before the conference started). Otherwise, when I turned on my iPad, last night, it was 100% charged, had iOS 11 (didn't say Beta, anymore), and without the profile option, in General > Settings (which means it must have been removed, automatically). Odd. Any explanation?
Apple released the final build of iOS 11 to beta testers.

baconcow

Apple released the final build of iOS 11 to beta testers.

Yes. But, does it automatically download it and remove the public beta profile (I am newer to iPads, so I have not been in a Public Beta before)? People, on Macrumors, were all stating they had to remove their profile after the update. Mine appears to be removed without my interaction.

awp69

Yes. But, does it automatically download it and remove the public beta profile (I am newer to iPads, so I have not been in a Public Beta before)? People, on Macrumors, were all stating they had to remove their profile after the update. Mine appears to be removed without my interaction.

Strange. I got the final release update but my Beta profile is still there. Not sure if I should just go ahead and remove it manually.

baconcow

Does anyone here have Le Havre and play it online? I bought it some time ago and wanted to get a copy for my wife to play against me in. I read, however, that the game uses Game Center for online and I thought I read somewhere that Game Center is limited in functionality, now. I am not sure if we were Game Center friends, before. Does anyone know if multiplayer still works on Le Havre and can I invite people?

Does anyone here have Le Havre and play it online? I bought it some time ago and wanted to get a copy for my wife to play against me in. I read, however, that the game uses Game Center for online and I thought I read somewhere that Game Center is limited in functionality, now. I am not sure if we were Game Center friends, before. Does anyone know if multiplayer still works on Le Havre and can I invite people?
I used to play it - if you post in here you might find others (async boardgamers)
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=832942

Edit: I've just tried it. You can't use GC anymore but you can invite people over iMessage. So you should be able to get by with your wife.
Through The Ages is out tomorrow (Finally)

I know this is the iOS thread and I doubt many people play much on Android, but I was VERY happy to find out that Iron Marines let's you play music or podcasts with another app while playing the game (Kingdom Rush games on Android would pause other music apps).

Pretty sure on iOS it always worked (at least on my iPad, but since I play on Android and my iPad I'm glad I can do eery thing I want now. :D

Edit: Game is kicking my ass surprisingly fast so far. I'm not really a big RTS player, but level 4 really starts expecting a lot out of you by having to take over and defend 4 different bases. Just like Kingdom Rush, "Casual" difficulty is no joke, especially without a fully leveled up heroes or tech tree.

Why didn't anyone tell me Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was on the iPad!??

Just dipped for the Nth time! One of the best games ever and the best game on the series!

Interfectum

Iron Marines is legit good. Some of the strategies I'm using in the game I'd use in Starcraft or Warcraft 3. Blizzard needs to get some mobile RTS going asap. :eek:

They released an update that completely breaks Crossy Road. Two characters spawn on the screen, you control one of them and after a few seconds the other one is killed and you have to restart.

I was going to buy this until i saw “includes IAP”... thought it was the regular IAP heores of KR but no no no is premium currency... and worst yet, the ability to watch ads to get currency... a 5€ game... Iron Hide, what happened to you? :(
All 3 Kingdom Rush games have the same IAP for buying gems that give you gameplay boosts (freeze enemies, more health, kill all enemies etc.).

You earn it just by playing the game too and I've never once actually used them.

I think the only difference is that Iron Marines make it more upfront, they include a step while doing tutorial stuff so you can try it out, but again, you can just add the items and then remove them so I never actually used them.

Top Bottom