• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

BTails

Retro-GAF, I did something today! I finally cracked my Game Gear and replaced the capacitors! It was, by far, the most difficult soldering I've had to do, but by the end I felt super confident, and was soldering with ease.

Check out pic number 3, that's the sound board, and all that brown stuff is capacitor juice that had leaked (there's five capacitors on that tiny board, and in the pic they're all removed). Thankfully some alcohol cleaned that right up -- No Irish, not THAT type of alcohol!

Looking forward to getting angry at the first boss of Sonic 2 this evening with a glass of Whisky to celebrate a tough job.

5GNmrAA.jpg

Gotta have Youtube in the background telling me how to do it!

rWsZyN4.jpg

First two I replaced. I got better.

tZA16G0.jpg

I probably lost a bunch of brain cells due to fumes getting the caps off this disgusting sound board. Thankfully, my Game Gear makes noise again, and is LOUD.

45EOHpk.jpg

Hell yeah! Success!

my philosophy books are in order of era, my vinyl is alphabetical by genre, but my games are genre and then ordered by my favorites like a bad take on High Fidelity that never ends

BA in English Literature here, my shelves of books have NO rhyme nor reason, except same authors and series clumped together... Mostly. Vinyl is alphabetical, except game soundtracks, which are in their own section. Games are alphabetical and sorted by system. I'm not a SAVAGE.

Yes Boss!

BA in Film Studies and French and a second in English Lit.

I organize by system then by developer then by alpha. So all of Capcom are together by alpha and are before Nintendo, for example, which are all organized by alpha. Best way. Only way!

Movies by studio. Then by alpha.

Books totally by alpha.

I think if I had more games I'd do something different, but I have them by platform and then alphabetically. I can't easilly remember the Japanese ordering (plus I don't always know the right kana for the kanji) so I convert the name to Romaji and alphabetize that way.

I also have platforms that are region locked seperated into JP and US but non-region locked integrated.

It's annoying though to have games where the chronological release order isn't consistent with the name order so I make exceptions. I can't imagine what I would do with something like Lightning Returns but thankfully I really didn't like FF13.

D.Lo

Retro-GAF, I did something today! I finally cracked my Game Gear and replaced the capacitors! It was, by far, the most difficult soldering I've had to do, but by the end I felt super confident, and was soldering with ease.

Check out pic number 3, that's the sound board, and all that brown stuff is capacitor juice that had leaked (there's five capacitors on that tiny board, and in the pic they're all removed). Thankfully some alcohol cleaned that right up -- No Irish, not THAT type of alcohol!

Looking forward to getting angry at the first boss of Sonic 2 this evening with a glass of Whisky to celebrate a tough job.

5GNmrAA.jpg

rWsZyN4.jpg

tZA16G0.jpg

I probably lost a bunch of brain cells due to fumes getting the caps off this disgusting sound board. Thankfully, my Game Gear makes noise again, and is LOUD.

45EOHpk.jpg

Hell yeah! Success!
Nice, Game Gear is a bitch to fix, I never want to do one again.

D.Lo

Nice, I've got a couple Game Gears that don't work and thought this project would be good for a beginner such as myself.
It is not a beginner job.

RGB mod to an N64, or 50/60Hz or region mod a Mega Drive/Master System, those are beginner jobs to try.

Laws00

5GNmrAA.jpg

rWsZyN4.jpg

tZA16G0.jpg

45EOHpk.jpg

Hell yeah! Success!

BA in English Literature here, my shelves of books have NO rhyme nor reason, except same authors and series clumped together... Mostly. Vinyl is alphabetical, except game soundtracks, which are in their own section. Games are alphabetical and sorted by system. I'm not a SAVAGE.

NICE WORK!!

I'm scared to do that. I need to do that with my Sega game gear and Sega CD

that and or just get new ones with recapped stuff by a professional or semi professional from ebay

Laws00

AS in Marketing
BS in Human Resource Management from RIDER UNIVERSITY BITCH!

I am a Safari Warden for Six Flags Great adventure. Six Flags Great Adventure Wild Off road Safari. Formally Wild Animal Safari.

So I am technically a Zoo Keeper....yes I pick poop

I've been there for 12 years.

BTails

Yeah, if you're new to soldering, definitely do not attempt a Game Gear cap replacement! A lot of the capacitors you need to remove are SMALL, making it hard to get the cap our without damaging the pad or other components. Plus, a lot of the caps are really corroded by now, meaning you have to be extra careful that they don't cause any damage when removing them. Finally, you have to be very tricky with how you place the ones you replace them with so the thing closes.

Scqp5DX.png

With my Game Gear up and running again, I spent some time playing Sonic 2 this evening. MAN, is this game hard. As a kid, I could never beat the first boss, the octopus thing where you have to dodge bouncing balls on a hill. I only ever saw the other stages through cheat codes. This time, I got to the fourth boss before getting game over, and even managed to snag a Chaos Emerald along the way.

Speaking of bosses, this game has a killer boss theme! I love how it cuts off the stage track and starts up as you approach a boss, really gets you pumped/tense.

D.Lo

You're supposed to say your job here now? Well I'm a software designer. More of an executive type these days.

But I trained in English as a writer/editor lol.

IrishNinja

we got engineers up in here? damn, props. ya'll are on another level.

i'm a civil servant, looking to hopefully return to my dream job as a firefighter/medic next year. literally the only bridge i can point at between philosophy & public service is bad plato stuff nobody should read (or i heart huckabees?) but there it is.

related: sega should port brave firefighters to console with the hose controllers BUT THEY WON'T

Galdelico

I'm a graphic designer (editing, avertising, web).
With my freetime, I enjoy drawing comics and creating retro-inspired videogame concepts, with the not so secret dream of seeing at least one of them to become real eventually.

Vespa

Nice work on that GameGear, BTails! I recapped one fairly recently and was lucky there wasn't too much corrosion, I think I had one bad pad that needed some scraping to reveal a place to solder. Your screen looks good for an og screen, no giant column on it like mine. Any plans to mod it for TV out?

Concept artist here, BA in Games design. You guys with your books full of fancy words pfft picturebooks4lyfe.

With my Game Gear up and running again, I spent some time playing Sonic 2 this evening. MAN, is this game hard. As a kid, I could never beat the first boss, the octopus thing where you have to dodge bouncing balls on a hill. I only ever saw the other stages through cheat codes. This time, I got to the fourth boss before getting game over, and even managed to snag a Chaos Emerald along the way.

It blew my mind when I found the Master System version of the game where you could actually see more around Sonic. It's actually what made me ditch the Gamegear since it was a much better experience that way.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
We still talking about job shit?

I'm evaluating my options outside of what I do now, because I'm fucking bored, but I'll just say that there'll probably be a GAF thread about 1 or 2 things I'm currently involved with in the next 6 months. One of those threads will be just delightful to read -- I actually am excited to see that one.

BTails

Finance industry for myself. Was previously in sales directly, recently moved into a people manager role, with an office of 15. Hiring is probably my favourite part of the role, I love conducting interviews ;)

Finance industry for myself. Was previously in sales directly, recently moved into a people manager role, with an office of 15. Hiring is probably my favourite part of the role, I love conducting interviews ;)

I work in the financial industry as well but on the tech side of things. I've recently started getting involved in recruiting but haven't had a chance to interview people yet.

dubc35

Engineering here, although pushing (electronic) paperwork and updating charts seems to be the majority of my work, hooray! Lol

Yes Boss!

i'm a civil servant, looking to hopefully return to my dream job as a firefighter/medic next year. literally the only bridge i can point at between philosophy & public service is bad plato stuff nobody should read (or i heart huckabees?) but there it is.

I'm a medic! Though military so just trauma and my triage is totally reverse from civilian.

IrishNinja

I'm evaluating my options outside of what I do now, because I'm fucking bored, but I'll just say that there'll probably be a GAF thread about 1 or 2 things I'm currently involved with in the next 6 months. One of those threads will be just delightful to read -- I actually am excited to see that one.

WELL THANKS FOR THAT, MYSTERIO

I'm a medic! Though military so just trauma and my triage is totally reverse from civilian.

ah that's awesome! one of my trauma clinicals was cross-training with army medics, and man, watching some of ya'll do a rapid chest tube was surreal, haha. nicest crew i'd worked with too.

i was a street medic for a regular ambulance out here for a few years & have done rescue in 2 states now and can definitely say: unless you're pursuing a civie fire gig or going to nursing (or beyond) i can't imagine just staying as a medic. depending on your district, the work can be so boring that you almost run out of things to emulate on your old PSP or mad stressful, and the pay just doesn't warrant that, for me. i imagine they treated you guys better?

Arzehn

So originally hearing about the Analogue NT Mini I thought it was way overpriced for what it was, but now I'm sitting here months later considering it after looking at RGB NES prices on ebay. With the Mini basically coming with a built in Flash Cart the cost is pretty much equal. The AVS is well priced but no analog support.

Anyone know if there's any barebones, FPGA, analog only, systems in the works? I would even settle for a s-video system. Composite shimmer is hard to go back to.

televator

We still talking about job shit?

Is it the thread to end the pineapple on pizza warz?

televator

God damn it! I lost my cell that had my Steam Guard on it. I called it and got hung up on and it now goes straight to VM... The phone I got for free as a hand me down, so im not too rustled by that, but both Google and Steam are a pita to recover from 2-step authentication.

Anth0ny

I'm a real estate agent but my goal is to break into the music industry. Real estate affords more free time than a regular 9-5 so I'm able to do music and all my gaming shit on the side.

Unfortunately since real estate is commission based I have less disposable income for retro games. Fortunately, when I had my steady 9-5 I spent most of my money on all the main retro stuff I ever wanted so... yeah! The wishlist is pretty small right now, but the Majora's Mask Adventure Set is always right there at the top, taunting me.

IrishNinja

holy hell that's impressive! did you work at a game store in the day?

God damn it! I lost my cell that had my Steam Guard on it. I called it and got hung up on and it now goes straight to VM... The phone I got for free as a hand me down, so im not too rustled by that, but both Google and Steam are a pita to recover from 2-step authentication.

this is troubling shit right here, man - I've got a ton of stuff on steam. good luck with it & keep us updated man

Laws00

holy hell that's impressive! did you work at a game store in the day?

this is troubling shit right here, man - I've got a ton of stuff on steam. good luck with it & keep us updated man

Me? Hell no.

I was just a kid that took all the game pamphlets and leaflets when i was younger lol

Hoping one day i'd buy some of these games and systems maybe

Now look at me i'm burning these games and got a Neo Geo Pocket bundle 5 years later lol

Fularu

Banned
So originally hearing about the Analogue NT Mini I thought it was way overpriced for what it was, but now I'm sitting here months later considering it after looking at RGB NES prices on ebay. With the Mini basically coming with a built in Flash Cart the cost is pretty much equal. The AVS is well priced but no analog support.

Anyone know if there's any barebones, FPGA, analog only, systems in the works? I would even settle for a s-video system. Composite shimmer is hard to go back to.
The MIST fpga

It has VGA out

Arzehn

The MIST fpga

It has VGA out

What a beast this device is, only drawback is missing proprietary controller ports, but considering all the 'cores' the entire outside would have to be ports, so that makes sense.
From what I understand USB has inherent input latency (I could be wrong on this though).

I'm a fan though, gonna keep my eye out for this. Want to see how it evolves, I do notice they haven't updated for a few months now though.

Took some time to do a photo of my Dragon Quest collection:

Sorry for the quality; I don't know if it's the lighting but I couldn't find a way for this not to look potato and still have everything in frame.

Trying to do US and JP releases of all mainline games, remakes, and good spinoffs (Torneko, Monsters, Morimori, Builders mainly) on all most platforms (cut: MSX, phones cause fuck phones, I think that's it). Some notable games missing, like the NES versions of 1-4, all the GBA games, JP versions of the DS remakes, and most the latest round of releases, among a few others.

I'm still not sure if I want to pick up Dragon Quest Heroes, a game I didn't like, on 2 more platforms in 2 languages... plus the sequal that I'm still unsure about. Waiting for prices to fall further on some stuff, like the JP DS remakes have no business being the price they are considering how cheap everything else in the series is.

Fake edit: Just realized I forgot to add in Fortune Street. :(

meppi

I think I have ton of pamphlets for Saturn and Dreamcast stuff, mostly Japanese.
If you'd like I can try and dig them up and scan them in sometimes.

Just a quick tip for those not aware.

Don't miss out on Retronauts episode 112: A conversation with Tetsuya Mizuguchi.

I'm just up to the Michael Jackson part and I'm loving this episode so much.
Especially delighted as a big Xevious fan. While barely anyone seems to give Xevious any kind of credit this days and a ton of people call it a totally shit game, it remains one of my all-time favourites.
Hearing Tetsuya Mizuguchi site is as one of his biggest inspirations to get into the industry made me smile way too much.

BTails

Took some time to do a photo of my Dragon Quest collection:

Nice collection! I'm just getting into the Dragon Quest series, despite playing a lot of Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES back in the day.

I've finished DQ1 & 2, and am currently playing DQVII on my 3DS. Currently about 15 hours in, which means I'm approaching 20% through the game, I think?

Speaking of pamphets, I have an old gamecube one from 2003 and it has a little promo for Nintendo Puzzle Collection. Seems as if it was intended for a North American release. Shame it never came out in the west.

I think I have ton of pamphlets for Saturn and Dreamcast stuff, mostly Japanese.
If you'd like I can try and dig them up and scan them in sometimes.

Just a quick tip for those not aware.

Don't miss out on Retronauts episode 112: A conversation with Tetsuya Mizuguchi.

I'm just up to the Michael Jackson part and I'm loving this episode so much.
Especially delighted as a big Xevious fan. While barely anyone seems to give Xevious any kind of credit this days and a ton of people call it a totally shit game, it remains one of my all-time favourites.
Hearing Tetsuya Mizuguchi site is as one of his biggest inspirations to get into the industry made me smile way too much.

That'd be awesome.

meppi

Found quite a few pamphlets from the Master System days as well as NES, Game Boy and Super Nintendo.
Most of the actual booklets are in Dutch though as they are the Benelux versions...

dubc35

Retro-GAF,

I have a confession: I don't understand video games. There are buttons on the controller, the buttons do things, but how do I play the games? How do I understand them? Should I try to die? Live? When I die it says Game Over. Is the game being over bad?

I have other questions, but I guess I'll just leave it at that for now.

Peer reviewed journal article source

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Retro-GAF,

I have a confession: I don't understand video games. There are buttons on the controller, the buttons do things, but how do I play the games? How do I understand them? Should I try to die? Live? When I die it says Game Over. Is the game being over bad?

I have other questions, but I guess I'll just leave it at that for now.

Peer reviewed journal article source

Lol, i didnt click on this thread when i first saw it, but im glad you turned my attention to these life-provoking insights.

Top Bottom