• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

From The Dust said:
no it's not. it's the arguments :D
Oh, poppycock! :)

That was just an excuse to say poppycock.

Seriously, what game announcement would make you guys fan-gasm to death? No matter how inexplicable? SHOW ME YO ENTHUSIASM.

Or are you all so jaded? :-\

JasonMCG said:
That was done way after the fact and is kinda rare to boot. Nintendo is always behind the curve in terms of media.
Well, it launched two months after the actual Gamecube launch, was developed by Nintendo and co-manufactured by Nintendo and Panasonic. I always thought of a "media station first try" kind of thing. But to be honest, I actually don't need that sort of thing in a Nintendo console. Dunno why tho...

JasonMCG said:
"Final mockup"

1303503443-01net-cafe-03.jpg

I like the way that looks, but wouldn't it be wise to have 4 face buttons?

Big One

Banned
Kagari said:
Read the article...
I've already read the article, those things are DVDs recreated by Nintendo. The very fact that one is able to burn an image of a GC or Wii game onto a miniDVD or DVD disc, and place it into the drive itself and have it read the disc pretty much means that, yes, they're DVDs. Not to mention the similarities with everything else also. No one is denying Nintendo will be making their own version of something like Bluray, but it doesn't mean it isn't Bluray technology.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
defferoo said:
seriously? you've used the dual shock i assume. That thing is an abomination when it comes to ergonomics. Especially when comes to analog stick placement on the controller. The fact that they just stuck them on the original PS1 controller (no analog stick) design without addressing the ergonomics makes it extremely hard to hold without your fingers rubbing against the edge of the circular parts on the back of the controller.. I can't believe Sony gave in to fan pressure and didn't revamp the design, the boomerang looked much more comfortable to hold than the dual shock does.

On the other hand, the Gamecube controller is magical, fits like a glove. So does the nunchuck and wii remote. I have no doubt that this controller will be easy to hold as well.
I know the Dualshock is stuck in the past and stubborn people who've gotten use to it can't shake it, but I feel like the ergonomics on the GC pad is not much better. The odd placement of the Z button, and the C-stick are just fruity additions to differentiate the Nintendo brand it seems, and keep things always experimental.

The GC controller doesn't fit me like a glove, simply because touching the C-stick and the face buttons immediately make me question the rationale for these design choices. I have yet to figure out why the face buttons are placed so awkwardly and the C-stick is so user-unfriendly.

Neiteio said:
Oh, poppycock! :)

That was just an excuse to say poppycock.

Seriously, what game announcement would make you guys fan-gasm to death? No matter how inexplicable? SHOW ME YO ENTHUSIASM.

Or are you all so jaded? :-\
you basically nailed what i want, pikmin 3 and a new star fox. maybe that supposed new character-based miyamoto ip as well

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Clarifications:

1. Imagine a controller that could be a cousin to THQ's UDRAW (picture above), with a touch screen instead of a touch pad, plus control sticks, control pad.

2. Screen not HD, single touch, 16x9 ratio at 6". Resolution at 5x8..? Not sure wtf that means. Probably "500x800 pixels."

3. "Project Café. The console will be able to stream wirelessly streaming multiple types of streams (different media, games) to the knobs. This will make it possible to play without turning on the TV, or start a frenzied games on the big screen, and continue uninterrupted into the toilet. A real revolution!"

4. Thin client?
The console and the controllers could operate on a principle of "virtualization," the bulk of the calculations performed by the console itself, and controllers serving terminals capable of displaying the code pre-calculated. This system would distribute the game in high-quality controllers, without significant latency and without using a compressed video stream and demanding in terms of bandwidth.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
01net also seems to be saying that you can play games on the controllers without turning on the TV.

It also mentions they're trying to run this via virtualization for efficiency reasons, which makes a lot of sense.

Game-Biz

StickSoldier said:
I like the way that looks, but wouldn't it be wise to have 4 face buttons?
On the actualt site they say that that mockup doesn't match what their sources say, which makes wonder why they even bothered to bring it up.

Neiteio

Billychu said:
Welcome to NeoGAF, enjoy your stay.
C'mon, guysss. Seriously. Like. Seriously.

This is a new console. Anything is possible! Thus, unshackle your inner child from the shit-stained, maggot-infested dungeons of your reality-worn hearts, and let him cry out his deepest desires: HD sequel to Diddy Kong Racing! A Metal Gear Solid/Prince of Persia/Mirror's Edge hybrid about Sheik, made by Kamiya and Platinum Games! A new Pokemon Snap with all 649 Pokemon! A goddamn sequel to Tetrisphere!

Surely there is something you guys dream about in your wildest dreams. Have fun dreaming now, before the conference comes and Wii Music 2 is announced. :-\

Pyrokai

Please, oh please, because I know I'll love everything about it (well, I hope I do), ALL I ask is that this thing ends up being competitive graphically in regards to Sony/MS's next systems. I really, really don't want third party support to just be 360 ports for two years and then no more support because the newer, "fully" next-gen systems from MS/Sony don't allow for porting to Cafe. That would suck, and I don't want dismal third party support again please :(

I'm, like, so worried about this. I hope they know what they're doing to get that third party support for the whole duration of the system. I really do :( . Btw, this is coming from someone who is pretty much okay with Wii's graphical capabilities minus the 480p :p

Flying_Phoenix said:
How is it even possible that the system will only be "slightly" more powerful than the Xbox 360?

Is the system going to be the size of an Apple TV?

Yeah, the rumored specs giving and that statement about its power doesn't really match. If the system can stream games into controllers with high-resolution screens, it will already have to be several times more powerful than the Xbox 360 to even get equal performance. It will also need more RAM, which is the one of the biggest limiting factors of current gen consoles.

Truth101

Banned
Nirolak said:
01net also seems to be saying that you can play games on the controllers without turning on the TV.

It also mentions they're trying to run this via virtualization for efficiency reasons, which makes a lot of sense.

This is exactly what I wanted, no need to have a T.V. anymore.

GQman2121

Banned
Out of the three console manufacturers, only Nintendo seems able build any kind of hype with their choice of controller. In comparison it makes Sony and MS announcements seem rather boring.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Laurent said:
What do you want translated?
Oh awesome.

Namely the highlights of these blocks:

01 said:
Ecran pas HD
L’écran panoramique (16/9 ou proche) de 6 pouces, est pour l’instant de type « single touch », et dans une résolution peu commune de l’ordre de 5** x 8**, donc nettement inférieure au 720p. La tablette (V2) nous paraît la piste de développement la plus vraisemblable. Rappelons cependant que d’ici à la sortie prévue pour juin 2012 – date provisoire annoncée aux développeurs – Nintendo aura le temps de changer substantiellement les détails morphologiques et cosmétiques de la manette et de la console.
01 said:
Une histoire de streaming
IGN a également abordé la question du design de la console, faisant état d’une sorte de SNES futuriste. Nos sources ne sont pas en mesure de se prononcer sur la question, les développeurs disposant pour la plupart de prototypes sans carénage propriétaire. Toujours selon le site anglophone, Nintendo envisagerait d’appeler sa console « Stream ».
Là encore, nous sources ne peuvent se prononcer, mais cela pourrait être un choix plausible et malin (hormis pour ses connotations « urinaires », dans la lignée de la Wii, qui font déjà pouffer de rire une bonne partie du web anglophone). Le streaming joue en effet un rôle central dans l’attrait de ce « Project Café ». La console sera capable de diffuser en streaming sans fil plusieurs types de flux (médias divers, jeux) à destination des manettes. Il sera ainsi possible de jouer sans même allumer la télé, ou encore de commencer une partie endiablée sur grand écran, et de la poursuivre sans interruption jusque dans les toilettes. Une vraie révolution !
It could just be a couple of bullet points, I just want to make sure what I put in the OP is accurate.

sfried

Kagari said:
Actually yes it's still DVD-based. Only difference is that it uses CAV, so it's not up-to-spec with the standards set by the DVD consortium.

Modified BluRay disk (that also doen't adhere to consortium) might be a possibility. I expect perhaps some tweaks to how the data is read along with the blue laser (i.e. burst cutting area a la GC/Wii). I also expect them to trim/modify container formats while still retaining the hard-coating.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really don't understand the direction Nintendo's going in if this is true. It seems to directly contradict the Wii controller philosophy so much, this seems so un-Nintendo of them. It seems so unintuitive and seems to ignore the shift towards motion gaming, peripheral gaming, and accessibility (read: nunchuck and wiimote combo) that they helped bring to the forefront themselves.

There has to be more to this.

watershed

Banned
Am I missing something? Just because we are certain now that the codename is cafe doesn't mean the rest of the rumors are confirmed as well right?

Game-Biz

I wonder if it would be possible for someone to be watching Netflix on the TV while someone else plays the game on the controller?

Emitan

Neiteio said:
C'mon, guysss. Seriously. Like. Seriously.

This is a new console. Anything is possible! Thus, unshackle your inner child from the shit-stained, maggot-infested dungeons of your reality-worn hearts, and let him cry out his deepest desires: HD sequel to Diddy Kong Racing! A Metal Gear Solid/Prince of Persia/Mirror's Edge hybrid about Sheik, made by Kamiya and Platinum Games! A new Pokemon Snap with all 649 Pokemon! A goddamn sequel to Tetrisphere!

Surely there is something you guys dream about in your wildest dreams. Have fun dreaming now, before the conference comes and Wii Music 2 is announced. :-\
New Star Fox by Platinum and Treasure.
New Super Mario Bros 2 based off of Mario 2.
I feel like a burden has been lifted off my heart now.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That article tells me Nintendo has told the developers that the launch date is June 2012, and that the 16:9 (or close to 16:9) single-touch touch-screen has a sub-720p resolution.

carlo6529

Nirolak said:
This seems to say June 2012 is the launch date.

But again, French people, we need you. :p

Im canadian, but I cant speak french fluidly.

From what I was able to under stand, the control which Nintendo calls V2. , the site claims is like a first cousin to that Udraw tablet. It is expected to release in June 2012. They finish it off by saying pretty much the design and release date are subject to change.

I'll see if I can get any other info.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
artwalknoon said:
Am I missing something? Just because we are certain now that the codename is cafe doesn't mean the rest of the rumors are confirmed as well right?
They called out the codename before it was revealed, meaning that their rumors are quite likely correct, since whoever gave them that likely knew more about the system.

carlo6529 said:
Im canadian, but I cant speak french fluidly.

From what I was able to under stand, the control which Nintendo calls V2. , the site claims is like a first cousin to that Udraw tablet. It is expected to release in June 2012. They finish it off by saying pretty much the design and release date are subject to change.

I'll see if I can get any other info.
Awesome, thanks as well.

dwu8991

Banned
Nirolak said:

It's all wireless baby, everything is good to go! Seriously the streaming image resolution quality will be as good as PSP or 3DS if not better. This is the future, fear not!

Hmm... I wonder if the part about streaming is true, then could one person play a game on the TV and someone else could play a different game on a another controller? Doesn't seem like that would be possible, but would be pretty awesome.

VerTiGo

Banned
Truth101 said:
I really like this concept for the controller.

kSACFl.jpg

If it is kinda like then it'll be the best attempt at a controller for both lefties and righties if the screen changes orientation.

Big One said:
I've already read the article, those things are DVDs recreated by Nintendo. The very fact that one is able to burn an image of a GC or Wii game onto a miniDVD or DVD disc, and place it into the drive itself and have it read the disc pretty much means that, yes, they're DVDs. Not to mention the similarities with everything else also. No one is denying Nintendo will be making their own version of something like Bluray, but it doesn't mean it isn't Bluray technology.
They are clearly not DVDs, but based on DVD technology and are of a proprietary format. Not that difficult I guess.

Game-Biz

artwalknoon said:
True, but it does make 01net that much more reliable. Cause if they were right about that, they're probably right about the other details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom