• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway laptop power button stuck inward on one side, solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
693929563_2481382140_0.jpg

As you can see, the power button my this laptop is jammed inward on the right side, and I'm wondering what the easiest way to hopefully fix this is. Has anyone had this happen and successfully fixed it?

Petrie

Banned
Remember to make a note of where everything goes. I have to warn you that some laptops are harder to take apart though. How did it get down there in the first place?

No idea. We took it home over the break and it was fine, it hasn't been opened, but it was in the trunk. Really couldn't tell you how it happened.

clav

Usually on most Windows laptops, the bar where the hinges, power buttons, and status LEDs are is removable for servicing.

That bar also has a plastic push pin that hits a tiny mechanical switch to power on your computer. You can push that switch yourself.

Some of them go left to right. Others go right to left.

Depends on the computer though, and I can't really tell in the cam shot.

Petrie

Banned
Usually on most Windows laptops, the bar where the hinges, power buttons, and status LEDs are is removable for servicing.

That bar also has a plastic push pin that hits a tiny mechanical switch to power on your computer. You can push that switch yourself.

Some of them go left to right. Others go right to left.

Depends on the computer though, and I can't really tell in the cam shot.
Its a gateway, if that helps...

q-tip + superglue. you're welcome

and some nail polisher remover to get rid of the superglue from the power button afterwards

Slavik81

See if you can look up the service manual for your laptop. I found a complete disassembly guide for my Dell laptop a few years ago when I had a broken fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom