• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New job: Manager and co-workers already hate me (GAF hates me too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, started my new office job this week, and I've already been the target of criticism and ridicule from my manager and a few of my co-workers.

Apparently, they take DDF (Dress Down Friday) very seriously, and so when I elected to come to work today in a business outfit (in an attempt to look good to the top brass), my work area was under assault by angered co-workers urging me to dress down on Fridays from now on, or else -- according to them -- the department heads might take notice and dismiss the dumb ritual altogether.

Then my manager stumbles into my spot, concerned that I wasn't being a "team player."

I like wearing a nice shirt, tie, and dress shoes. It's called looking like a professional, and not like some slack-jawed mongrel.

I'm wondering, however: Am I jeopardizing myself and my job security by not playing along?

Arde5643

Holy shit, wow - that is pretty stupid.

I guess it's very different from where I work in LA. Everyone pretty much just dress as they want to (within limits of course).

If I have to hazard a guess, the place probably just started experimenting with casual dress to improve employee morale.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Write a company wide email expressing your dissatisfaction. Make sure you click the high importance exclamation icon so they know you're not fucking around.

bill0527

NintendosBooger said:
Well, started my new office job this week, and I've already been the target of criticism and ridicule from my manager and a few of my co-workers.

Apparently, they take DDF (Dress Down Friday) very seriously, and so when I elected to come to work today in a business outfit (in an attempt to look good to the top brass), my work area was under assault by angered co-workers urging me to dress down on Fridays from now on, or else -- according to them -- the department heads might take notice and dismiss the dumb ritual altogether.

Then my manager stumbles into my spot, concerned that I wasn't being a "team player."

I like wearing a nice shirt, tie, and dress shoes. It's called looking like a professional, and not like some slack-jawed mongrel.

I'm wondering, however: Am I jeopardizing myself and my job security by not playing along?

They aren't going to fire you for an action like this.

However, knowing beautiful corporate America like I do, they will find other ways to get you. If you really want that job, you better never show up even 2 minutes late for work. They'll start to find little things that you're doing wrong and write you up for it. Little things that get overlooked when your co-workers do the same thing. After enough time goes by, if you haven't given them enough ammunition to straight-up fire you, they will start to make your life hell by doubling your work, isolate you from everyone else and office events, and make your life a general living hell until you get to the point you want to quit.

If you get branded as not being a team player right off the bat, its very hard to shake that image. Typically, when people make their minds up about you, its impossible to change that image no matter how hard you try.

so_awes

Banned
do not fold! if you fold then they will step on you forever.

if one of them keep bothering you about it, tell that person you slept with his/her mom.

Ganhyun

Yes, as a previous poster said, this was probably a ritual enacted for employee morale.

So you coming in all dressed up does a few things:

1. makes them look bad compared to you.
2. Makes you look like a loner/all about me guy
3. Makes top brass possibly reconsider the custom.

But honestly man, do the DDf thing. Otherwise, if it gets canceled, you'll get the blame and likely have bad things start happening to you or your stuff.

Edit: Like Bill0527 said. They will do things like that.

Amon37

NintendosBooger said:

Hello high and mighty.

I like dressing nice too, but on Friday it is nice to wear some jeans and more comfortable shoes.

Quit being a douchebag, I can see why your co-workers and manager already hate you.

Mr. Snrub said:
Didn't you get the memo?

You sound kind of elitist here.

I sound like an elitist because I choose not to observe a new, stupid tradition that presidents and CEOs grudgingly put into place? What competent company boss doesn't want his/her employee to come to work dressed professionally, if not openly at least secretly?

Ferrio

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

Don't rock the boat. Wait till you've worked there awhile first. Office politics are a BITCH, and you starting shit right from the start is no good.

I sound like an elitist because I choose not to observe a new, stupid tradition that presidents and CEOs grudgingly put into place? What competent company boss doesn't want his/her employee to come to work dressed professionally, if not openly at least secretly?

YES HOLY SHIT. I'm already hating you too. You just got hired dude and you're wanting to already step on people to look better.

Davidion

Where do you work? Sounds like the place is packed with assholes.

The idea that just because you're given the option to dress down mean you should have to is functionally retarded.

That having been said, it might pay to play along for the time being.

Az

They are overreacting a bit, since you are a new guy.

And you should dress down since its an accepted thing at your workplace. You refusing to dress down its going to make you look like you think you are more important than your
co-workers. You being all dressed up doesn't mean that you perform better.

I actually prefer DDF, I am more relaxed at work and have more fun doing my stuff.

bill0527

NintendosBooger said:

What the company boss wants is a bunch of lemmings who will make him look good.

Not a bunch of lemmings and an outsider who doesn't want to play along with the rest of the lemmings and makes everyone disgruntled.

Is this your first office job?

Ganhyun

NintendosBooger said:

While many probably do not want things like Casual or Dress Down Friday in place, most competent upper management realize that things like this do help employee morale. Not sure how big a place you work at, but imagine if this gets canceled, and you get branded the reason why. Your life will be hell for every day you work there from that point forward. Possibly after depnding on how vindictave some of your co-workers are.

NintendosBooger said:
Apparently, they take DDF (Dress Down Friday) very seriously, and so when I elected to come to work today in a business outfit (in an attempt to look good to the top brass),

There's your problem. Stick out based on your work ethic.

NintendosBooger said:

Yes. You are giving people a reason to complain about anything else you do no matter how minuscule.

Dallow, because of your username I must kill you now. :D

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Borgnine said:
Write a company wide email expressing your dissatisfaction. Make sure you click the high importance exclamation icon so they know you're not fucking around.
Don't forget to request read receipts to the message.

Cereal

NintendosBooger said:
Do you want to be happy at work? Because you're not going to be happy if everyone around you thinks you're a dick and shuns you. Unless you have a super isolated role, not being a team player is going to bite you in the ass quick.

Plus, DDF's are awesome. There's nothing unprofessional about them. It's called business casual. Think what you'd wear to play golf with a client/boss and go with that.

Xdrive05

Really, man, it's not all that hard to have to make yourself look like us lowly mortals once a fucking week...

God I hate you. And I hate your mom for making a punk ass instead of a team player. And your dad's dead so who cares about him.

Seriously though, just do what they say and roll with it. :) Because now you're gonna have to go the extra mile and win them all back over. Also, think of this as an opportunity to score on future job interviews. "So tell me about one time you fucked up..." "Well. At my last job I was just too professional for the rest to keep up!"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sounds like the kind of place that is run by under-performing employees and managers who all hold hands to pretend everything is going fine and shrug all problems under the carpet until the company's CEO trips on it, and then they'll fire you because you're the only one who's actually doing a good job and not just pretending, which would be a threat to them.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
While this shit is silly, and almost exactly the reason why i can't imagine doing a office job. They are right, going against the grain on something so small makes you look like a emo jackass and on top of that it may actually jeopardize the day...which i'd imagine is comforting to alot of your coworkers.

So at the end of the day....you end up looking like the guy someone will probably attempt to stomp out with flip flops on in the parking lot after work.

BlackMage

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

I hope you get fired.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
NintendosBooger said:
What competent company boss doesn't want his/her employee to come to work dressed professionally, if not openly at least secretly?
I take it your new office job is also your first?

I see you going far at this job. </sarcasm>

Just do it dude. Top brass probably dont give two shits about what you look like. You are now on everybody's radar, and they will make your life a living hell.

Diablos

What the hell? Why would someone get mad at you for wearing a professional outfit on dress-down day? Of all the things to get upset at an employee about... :lol

ToxicAdam

NintendosBooger said:
my work area was under assault by angered co-workers

Haha. You're a drama queen.

If you want to impress higher ups, you do it by stealth tactics and behind the scenes subversion. Not partaking in DDF is just a clumsy, highly visible attempt by yourself and your co-workers are calling you out on it.

btkadams

dallow_bg said:
But that would make you look like a slack-jawed mongrel.
maybe the OP needs to get nicer casual clothes? retire your free science centre t-shirt and walmart jeans. not that any of those are bad but an elitist might feel himself a slack-jawed mongrel wearing them.

NintendosBooger said:

Just lose it.

Go postal.

Fuck everybody up.

Put yourself in the papers.

Or just tell them you didn't realise, and then next week dress down, and prove to everybody what a pussy you are.

They'll have you on crack in a week, and you'll be fucking the caretakers whore wife the next.

Diablos said:
What the hell? Why would someone get mad at you for wearing a professional outfit on dress-down day? Of all the things to get upset at an employee about... :lol

Unfortunately, many offices are like high schools, with cliques and groups. You do the wrong thing you feel peoples wrath.

Bii

Why not just dress down a bit? You can still look professional just by changing one component of your outfit. Instead of wearing a dress shirt, wear a polo untucked with your slack and dress shoes. Or wear a pair of all white or black sneakers to go along with your slacks/dress shirt. In other words, semi-formal is the way to go if you don't want a too casual look in the office.

How your boss/co-workers reacted to your attire is stupid but the last thing you want to give them to talk about is something "negative" about you.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
By joining this huge faceless corporation you've already sold your soul in the name of making lots of money, but suddenly your James fucking Dean when it comes to conforming to their standards?

Ceres

Banned
Borgnine said:

Don't forget the read receipt.

And if it was just today, tell them you're being a "holier than thou douche" for Halloween.

Davidion

eznark said:
you sound like a prick

no u

Seriously OP, swallow your pride and just play along. Follow the advice here and just tell people you didn't know.

There are many places to exert your individuality, the office (particularly YOURS) doesn't seem like such a place to do it.

If it's really DDF, then why do they prohibit employees from wearing sweats and shorts, even on Fridays? I mean, why stop with jeans?

Fuck you guys and fuck your suggestions. I'm not letting anyone tell me, either directly or indirectly, to dress to their level.

LCfiner

Yeah, you sound like a snob "ooh, look at me. i dress professionally". who gives a fuck? your coworkers?

yeah, dress down fridays can be silly, but if everyone else is wearing jeans on one day, maybe you should do it,instead of complaining to us about how it's a stupid tradition. and, in the same breath, talking about how you want to impress the bosses by wearing a suit. seriously?

impress them with your work, not your fucking clothes.

I swear, you come off like a huge brat and a condescending asshole.

Ferrio

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
If it's really DDF, then why do they prohibit employees from wearing sweats and shorts, even on Fridays? I mean, why stop with jeans?

Fuck you guys and fuck your suggestions. I'm not letting anyone tell me, either directly or indirectly, to dress to their level.

Way to fight the power.

Might wanna start looking for a new job, because with your attitude there's a good chance you'll piss off way too many people to hold the one you got now.

cilonen

Get progressively more formal every day next week. Smart suit on Monday, three-piece on Tuesday, dinner jacket Wednesday then top hat & tails on Thursday. Then come in on Friday in a red velvet smoking jacket and brogues. You are dressing down, and you'll still look way the fuck more stylish than them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom