• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Spartan Ops to end with your team (and maybe Palmer) exploring an ancient setpiece/artifact of unknown origin only to call for the return of the Precusors and all getting killed, tying up loose ends and setting up a plot point for Halo 5.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I want Spartan Ops to end with your team (and maybe Palmer) exploring an ancient setpiece/artifact of unknown origin only to call for the return of the Precusors and all getting killed, tying up loose ends and setting up a plot point for Halo 5.
I hope Palmer gets saved by being placed in a hardlight lunch container only to be brutally executed alone immediately afterwards.

Moa

Halo-4-Spartan-Ops-6-10-Release-Date-.jpg

Your wish is my command.

I hope Palmer gets saved by being placed in a hardlight lunch container only to be brutally executed alone immediately afterwards.

Moa

That has to be Flood-inspired design, no? I notice it moves in the trailer. At first glance I thought it was a Scarab. Would be cool if it was Precursor architecture.

I thought it was at first, but then I thought of the possibility of the Flood being on Requiem, and it didn't sound likely, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the Prometheans as much as we do, they were designed to fight the Flood.

You guys seen that webcam thread?

Holy crap. That's sooo creepy.

linkpls

Cortana wanted to physically touch the only person who she cared for. Can you imagine spending your life only being able to see your siblings but never hug them?

Touching his chest might seem sexual but what were the alternatives? Touching his cheek? Holding his hand? Hugging him? They all strongly suggest something more than a sibling-esque friendship. Having said that, I probably wouldn't touch my sibling's chest but who am I to judge the rampant AI.

Cortana wanted to physically touch the only person who she cared for. Can you imagine spending your life only being able to see your siblings but never hug them?

Touching his chest might seem sexual but what were the alternatives? Touching his cheek? Holding his hand? Hugging him? They all strongly suggest something more than a sibling-esque friendship. Having said that, I probably wouldn't touch my sibling's chest but who am I to judge the rampant AI.

She should've grabbed him by the sack and said, "now I know what your balls feel like." Emotion quote of the forever.

Moa

Rub his balls as previously suggested, if they were steel, then he was a machine, if they were... soft, he was a human.

I thought it was at first, but then I thought of the possibility of the Flood being on Requiem, and it didn't sound likely, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the Prometheans as much as we do, they were designed to fight the Flood.

linkpls

Yeah true. I dunno what it is. It doesn't look like how Precursor is described, but I'd love to see that architecture in the future:

Orbital arches were a type of orbital construction used by the Precursors on Charum Hakkor. Like all Precursor technology, they were virtually indestructible. On Charum Hakkor, prehistoric humans built cities onto the orbital arches, described by Bornstellar Makes Eternal Lasting as resembling "ivy growing on great trees"

But I doubt we will ever get to, because they were all destroyed:

Unbending filaments were a type of Precursor construction. It was noted that they could link entire worlds and systems, although the details and principles behind this are unknown. Like most Precursor technology, they were also virtually indestructible. As they were based on the principle of neural physics, they were susceptible to the Halo Array's pulse; all Precursor structures on Charum Hakkor were destroyed when a Halo was test-fired nearby.

Prehistoric humans used unbending filaments to link their orbital defenses surrounding their capital Charum Hakkor.

Unless we travel extra-galactic again like we did when we went to the Ark, remember there is actually still a Greater Ark somewhere out there.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I have a nagging feeling that maybe Chief won't be the only playable guy in Halo 5's campaign.

Many lulz will be had if they attempt to throw the Spartan Ops failures into the spotlight.

Tawpgun

Arby's gotta come back. Only interesting character in the franchise.

I'd love to see the good elites return also. Haven't read the recent books other than Greg Bear's, but the whole Elite political unrest did sound interesting.

DeadNames

Banned
Why must you guys complain about everything?

Because I liked Halo because it was what I like to call "realistic" sci-fi. Halo 4 introduced speeding up evolution, digital humans and all that jazz. Plus they completely killed the mystery of the Forerunners with the books and such.

And yeah, Arbiter needs to get his sweet alien ass back into the game.

And what happened to brutes?

Tawpgun

Because I liked Halo because it was what I like to call "realistic" sci-fi. Halo 4 introduced speeding up evolution, digital humans and all that jazz. Plus they completely killed the mystery of the Forerunners with the books and such.

And yeah, Arbiter needs to get his sweet alien ass back into the game.

And what happened to brutes?

Something something technology so advanced can be seen as magic or something like that.

TCKaos

I actually quite enjoyed the plot. The only thing I can complain about is
the Librarian showing up to invalidate literally every achievement made by every character in the history of the entire canon since the demise of the Forerunners through the use of a geas, which amounts to Halo's midichlorians.

She has orchestrated the entirety of Covenant and Human history in order to bring about the Master Chief and have him land on Requiem so that she could give him some immunity to the Composer that she didn't bother to give the rest of everyone forever which she presumably could have but didn't, maybe I guess kind of because it's not expanded upon in the game, terminals or novels as far as I know.

DeadNames

Banned
Something something technology so advanced can be seen as magic or something like that.

RIP Halo.

OH and another thing that totally frustrated me: Where the fuck was the E Dorian theme? I understand that 343 wants to make it "their halo" (rip halo) but they should have at least made the E Dorian theme the title theme... I always paired it with Chief and because Reach/ODST didn't have it... But now Halo 4 doesn't have it (except in the beginning of mission six which is, ironically, the most memorable part IMO) anywhere in the title screen.

Spartan Ops 1.5 DUN DUN

spops6.png

Where did you get these?!

Are those... Complex, Haven and Vortex?

Computron

Man, Halo 3 looks pretty good at 60 fps.

When you unlock the FPS in theatre, quite a few big stretches of the multiplayer maps are able to render @ >60fps.
Its even easier when your saved film has very little action/player-movement/physics simulations to calculate, so the framerate gets even smoother.

DeadNames

Banned
Man, Halo 3 looks pretty good at 60 fps.

When you unlock the FPS in theatre, quite a few big stretches of the multiplayer maps are able to render @ >60fps, especially when your saved film has very little action/player-movement/physics simulations to calculate.

Got a capture card? You should upload some stuff to youtube for all the good little boys and girls :p

Computron

Got a capture card? You should upload some stuff to youtube for all the good little boys and girls :p

Sadly, no, I dont have a capture card.

But you can unlock the framerate on any old retail Xbox, no mods, hacks or glitches or anything necessary.

Fyre could do it, since he's been flaunting his all day. :p
Although, I am not sure how interested you guys would be.

If I can get some footage, I got an After Effects plugin for applying Morphological Anti-Aliasing.
(MLAA, same AA used by a lot of PS3 games, like GOW and K3 IIRC) It gets rig of a lot of jaggies.

Spartan Ops 1.5 DUN DUN

spops6.png

Interior environment that's a cross of Requiem's bridges and Solace.

The Silent Cartographer mixed with that one "holdout" area we've seen a million times before in Spartan Ops where you meet your first Spec Ops Elite in campaign.

Halo's spin on one of the earlier areas in Borderlands (Skag Gully or whatever).

Vortex.

Abandon + Gears of War + Possibly Precursor.

I really hope they find a way to spice the architecture up in Halo 5. :( they're messing up their priorities completely. In the past games the enemies were different colors and the architecture was similar colors but relied on a variety of different materials per faction. Now they've mixed it up with the Prometheans because the warrors essentially are constructs. I appreciate what they're trying to do but it just isn't working at all. Giving Halo the big budget treatment was good in some regards but it's just completely lacking in its implementation.

I'm actually really excited to visit those Avatar-style floating islands, but knowing our luck the majority will just be skybox elements while we're stuck exploring Forge World 2.0.

RIP Halo_OH and another thing that totally frustrated me: Where the fuck was the E Dorian theme? I understand that 343 wants to make it "their halo" (rip halo) but they should have at least made the E Dorian theme the title theme... I always paired it with Chief and because Reach/ODST didn't have it... But now Halo 4 doesn't have it (except in the beginning of mission six which is, ironically, the most memorable part IMO) anywhere in the title screen

Oh, stop. I've said it a million times before: the new music is good and by all means memorable. The problem is that it's not used anywhere near as effectively as it should be in campaign and it doesn't helped that it's compressed to hell in a lot of areas. If you want to see the music made memorable, watch all the terminals.

That song with the french horn and piano in the main menu is honestly one of my favorite menu themes in the entire franchise. It also cleverly illustrates how some of the themes work; not only is the piano melody the Halo theme missing one note, it's one of the main melodies out of To Galaxy, showing that it's really just a reworked Halo theme in the first place.

Sadly, no, I dont have a capture card.

But you can unlock the framerate on any old retail Xbox, no mods, hacks or glitches or anything necessary.

Fyre could do it, since he's been flaunting his all day. :p
Although, I am not sure how interested you guys would be.

If I can get some footage, I got an After Effects plugin for applying Morphological Anti-Aliasing.
(MLAA, same AA used by a lot of PS3 games, like GOW and K3 IIRC) It gets rig of a lot of jaggies.

Hows this fps unlock done? I might be able to do something...

I have no games for theater lets see if I can get some Social Slayer games. Lets play H3 everyone!

DeadNames

Banned
's one of the main melodies out of To Galaxy, showing that it's really just a reworked Halo theme in the first place.

Not to sound picky, but it's just not there. I get so excited hearing the first the notes then dropping out to something else.

Some of the music is memorable, sure, but it doesn't make me think Halo. Halo 4 has no definitive theme.

The E Dorian theme was at the initial Halo 3 debut trailer. I haven't heard that theme since, even back with ODST or Reach. It really was a one hit track for only Halo 3.

Such an epic trailer. So good.

Computron

Hows this fps unlock done? I might be able to do something...

Well, you gotta understand that you will pretty much only be able to capture scenery from 3rd person theatre cam.

So yeah, no gameplay captures with this method, but you can still get a rough feel for how Halo 3 would be like at 60fps.
Seeing it in person and particularly feeling how the controls react at 60fps is quite jarring and interesting though.

But if you wanted to do like a flythrough video for it, you would get a better result by just recording it with your movements at half speed and interpreting the footage @ 2x framerate in after effects.

So like I said, its more interesting to try this in person to experience the controls.
It feels weird as fuck to fly through maps you have played a million times, except now at twice the framerate.

Anyway, to do it, I usually just load up a custom game on some canvas (empty) map variant of last resort or some map like that and comit suicide with an 60 second respawn timer.
This is done so the game doesn't simulate physics/player movement or have to draw anything extra. All that adds up to quite a bit of processing power, especially when you compare it with 16 player, action packed BTB films.
Now If you just hold the trigger down to play back at 2/3x speed, I noticed that the game unlocks the framerate and just draws everything to the screen as soon as it is finished with a frame.
Now you can fly around and see just how more responsive the controlls would be like if the game ran at ~60 or more fps in most places.
I was just trying it out on Last Resort and the framerate was allright as long as I flew around and avoided looking at the center of the map or any complex areas.

I am almost certain this method will work in the rest of the Halo games as well, btw, although I haven't tried it in Halo 4.
Although something like Halo 4 might not go that high in FPS because of greater fixed overhead and less leeway.

Computron

BTW, here is some examples of the Morphological Anti-Aliasing applied to some Halo 3 screens.

Here is the unedited screenshot: (No-AA)
Here's the one with AA added in: (MLAA)

If you load those up in two separate tabs you can jump between them with CTRL+Tab and CTRL+Shift+Tab.

Here is a closeup with the shots enlarged 2x with Nearest-Neighbor filtering so that there isn't any blurring:

No AA:
ivA4pODFYyuty.png

MLAA:
iZE1yi7hGOUGh.png

The ridge on the top far side of the BR is most noticeably anti-aliased.
The Specular on the elite and on the branding in the center of the BR is also AA'ed.
Also some of the grass gets softer around the edges of the alpha,
which is something you don't even get with a lot of hardware AA methods.
Building and terrain on the sides and the turret looks pretty smooth as well.

I could apply this AA to videos capture of Halo 3 as well, although I am not certain it would work that well with Halo 3's 640p+upscaling.
BTW, this method of post AA is somewhat similar to what Halo 4 already does with it's FXAA, although I am not sure how it compares quality wise with MLAA though.
IIRC, MLAA is cpu based, looks better and is a bit more expensive, but then again, my plugin doesn't have to worry about being a whole 2-3ms more expensive like realtime post-AA methods since it is done in post-post. (i.e. in After Effects or Photoshop)

Yeah, it's pretty widely used throughout Spartan Ops as the theme for "Halo: Infinity", which I think is the name of the season Spartan Ops is supposedly telling - not exactly sure. I think it's a good track.

Also, I thought that theme was the Cortana theme from end of Halo 2/Halo3?

Edit: Yep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d47h4wyY_M

Lol yea 2 games was enough of that crap.

First game 3 guests leave n I'm stuck 2v5. They stunk but the game is so slow I make one bad move and I know I'm already dead. Not dead yet, I have to watch all the animation and gameplay unfold but its too late to fix/correct my actions I'm already doomed.

Second game me n Heckfu won but god it was a clusterfuck.

Netcode = bad
Framerate = bad

Game is nearly unplayable. Its like watching a Powerpoint presentation.

zap

Well, you gotta understand that you will pretty much only be able to capture scenery from 3rd person theatre cam.

So yeah, no gameplay captures with this method, but you can still get a rough feel for how Halo 3 would be like at 60fps.
Seeing it in person and particularly feeling how the controls react at 60fps is quite jarring and interesting though.

But if you wanted to do like a flythrough video for it, you would get a better result by just recording it with your movements at half speed and interpreting the footage @ 2x framerate in after effects.

So like I said, its more interesting to try this in person to experience the controls.
It feels weird as fuck to fly through maps you have played a million times, except now at twice the framerate.

Anyway, to do it, I usually just load up a custom game on some canvas (empty) map variant of last resort or some map like that and comit suicide with an 60 second respawn timer.
This is done so the game doesn't simulate physics/player movement or have to draw anything extra. All that adds up to quite a bit of processing power, especially when you compare it with 16 player, action packed BTB films.
Now If you just hold the trigger down to play back at 2/3x speed, I noticed that the game unlocks the framerate and just draws everything to the screen as soon as it is finished with a frame.
Now you can fly around and see just how more responsive the controlls would be like if the game ran at ~60 or more fps in most places.
I was just trying it out on Last Resort and the framerate was allright as long as I flew around and avoided looking at the center of the map or any complex areas.

I am certain this method will work in the rest of the Halo games as well, btw.
Although something like Halo 4 might not go that high in FPS because of greater fixed overhead and less leeway.

Do you have any video comparisons you could post of Halo 3 at 30fps vs 60fps?

Computron

Do you have any video comparisons you could post of Halo 3 at 30fps vs 60fps?

No, like I said, I got no capture card, and this is really more interesting if you try it yourself since the interesting thing is feeling how your controls work @60fps on the all too familiar Halo 3 maps.

It's uncanny.

Also:

tqLPx.png

Confirmed: Bungie's powerpoints have a higher framerate than their games.
KuGsj.gif

But really, Halo 3 ain't no slouch when it comes to framerate. Its rather solid at 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom