• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 Roster Discussion & Speculation Thread

Subbed

NRS pls, just give me Static.

latest

Static pls
Looks like I know who my new favorite GAFfers are

Manhunter is totally being cut. I've already prepared myself. Dude has really fallen on hard times recently. I guess that's what you get when you're super overpowered and awkwardly fit into stories.

DCAU had to nerf his powers to make him work.

Ryce

Manhunter is totally being cut. I've already prepared myself. Dude has really fallen on hard times recently. I guess that's what you get when you're super overpowered and awkwardly fit into stories.
Do you really think so? The Manhunter outcry for Injustice 1 was massive, and just today in an interview Ed Boon cited Manhunter as the one character he really championed to include in that game.

Do you really think so? The Manhunter outcry for Injustice 1 was massive, and just today in an interview Ed Boon cited Manhunter as the one character he really championed to include in that game.
DC never seems to promote him anymore. He's not in the upcoming Justice League movie, despite his most well known depiction being in what is arguably the most well known depiction of the Justice League

I was at 6 Flags and they had a huge DC gift shop and the only Manhunter merchandise was a cheap Young Justice action figure that had found its way into the bargain bin.

J-Tier

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Martian Manhunter will be back in a playable capacity at some point in the future. The interview today and the outcry for his exclusion in the previous game kinda make his chances very likely.
DC never seems to promote him anymore.

(Spoiler maybe)
He's pretty much a main cast character in the Supergirl TV show, no
?

Any ideas yet for what kinda storyline they are going for?
From what I've gleaned from Boon, Game Informer, Tom Taylor:
-story is more centered on the Injustice-verse(as opposed to the crossover with more standard heroes from another universe)
-Supergirl will be a big factor since in the Injustice-verse
her ship doesn't arrive on earth until after the first game
-Batman trying to rebuild, but there's a new threat trying to fill the power void. Apparently it's so bad, the heroes are debating letting Supes out to help them

Some Nobody

I started thinking about this thread and created a post so long it caused me to do a whole write-up on my blog on the roster and the reasonings for why/why they wouldn't be in. Obviously, it's against the rules to link that but here's the list minus explanations:

- Cyborg
- Starfire
- Reverse Flash
- Silver Banshee
- Firestorm
- Atom
- Steppenwolf
- Cheetah
- Martian Manhunter
- Red Tornado
- Red Hood
- Black Manta
- GL/John Stewart
- Booster Gold
- Swamp Thing

I'm only unsure about a handful of these. Let's keep in mind the roster screens NRS posts are usually accurate so we're looking at 28 characters to start. 11 are revealed and two are soft-confirmed so I wrote out the remaining 15 based on DC's need to increase synergy between different mediums. There's little to no wish fulfillment here for me aside from Booster Gold because all my favorite characters are too obscure/mired in continuity to be used. (Tim Drake, the 90's YJ Superboy, the Legion of Super-Heroes...)

We'll probably get anywhere from 10-12 DLC characters. MK9 did 4, Injustice 6 and MKXL did 8 so they might go for 10 or they might do 12 for an even 40, just depends.

Either way for DLC guesses I'd assume all the fan-favorites from OG Injustice come back regardless of being dead like Joker or Captain Marvel or Black Adam. Then maybe you grab a few relevant characters from the upcoming Justice League Dark, plus a relevant character or two from the films for 2018 since support for this game is going to stretch into that. So there you go. Get hyped...or not, lol.

Edit: If what the poster above me says about the story is true, then Steppenwolf is definitely likely. A visit from Apokolips would definitely be a major threat bad enough to make them let Superman out.

Neoxon

My Ideal Injustice 2 Roster (bolded means that the character was already confirmed)
  1. Superman
  2. Batman
  3. Flash (confirmed in the reveal teaser, but we still need gameplay)
  4. Supergirl
  5. Gorilla God Grodd
  6. Atrocitus
  7. Wonder Woman
  8. Blue Beetle (wish granted)
  9. Harley Quinn
  10. Deadshot
  11. Static
  12. Joker (as either a What-If character separate from the story or a carry-over from the Normal DC Earth)
  13. Green Lantern (either Hal or John, I don't care which, though John would get around the fact that Hal went Yellow on Regime Earth)
  14. Green Arrow (see Joker)
  15. Cyborg
  16. Shazam (see Joker & Green Arrow)
  17. Nightwing (Dick outside of Story Mode, Damian in Story Mode)
  18. Black Canary
  19. Katana
  20. Constantine
  21. Red Hood
  22. Starfire (let's be fair, she won the recent poll)
  23. Firestorm
  24. Vixen
  25. Captain Cold (already teased)
  26. Dr. Fate (see Captain Cold)
  27. Darkseid
  28. Martian Manhunter
  29. Swamp Thing
  30. Atom
  31. Vibe
  32. Lex Luthor (see Joker, Green Arrow, & Shazam)

Nori Chan

Green Arrow, Joker, Captain Cold, Red Hood, Starfire, Cat Woman, and Poison Ivy. Those are my demands

Bane, Deathstroke, Killer Frost, and Grundy are gone, imo

Some Nobody

Green Arrow, Joker, Captain Cold, Red Hood, Starfire, Cat Woman, and Poison Ivy. Those are my demands

Bane, Deathstroke, Killer Frost, and Grundy are gone, imo

Captain Cold's a given. Red Hood's probably a given and so's Starfire. The rest of your demands would make me sad. Catwoman and Poison Ivy are great characters, but also from the Bat-universe so they can get bent lol.

You're right about those other characters though. Killer Frost barely had any story relevance and isn't super popular so no need to keep her. Grodd and Atrocitus probably replaced Bane and Grundy, while Deadshot and Deathstroke swapped out.

TV/Movie Promotion will be in full effect. Deadshot proves it

Wonder Woman - Ares and Circe
Suicide Squad - Deadshot and Katana
Justice League - Mera, Steppenwolf and Darkseid
The Flash - Gorilla Grodd and Captain Cold
Arrow - Black Canary
VoD DCAU/cartoons - Damien, Blue Beetle, and Starfire
Legends of Tomorrow - Firestorm and Vixen
Supergirl - ...Supergirl

Maybe he could switch between his sword and lance as his character power (more akin to an MKX variation than a full stance change), with Deadshot inheriting the perfect aim power.

the problem with that is from the looks of things they doing away with that style

wonder woman and nightwing in injustice both that as there character trait (wonder woman changing sword and shield to her lasso and nightwings escrima into a staff) and while nightwing hasn't been seen, wonder woman got a new trait to replace her old one

J-Tier

I hope there are alt costumes and not just random gear. The gear shown so far don't seem to consist of iconic costumes.

That, and have fully unlocked gear "sets" be selectable in modes that do not have customization (like tourney modes) a la costume changes alongside actual alts (assuming that's a different thing altogether), which would give tons of costume options.

J-Tier

Basically this.

Making him a little less diabeetus would be good tho.
Yeah, I think they should make him leaner. He looks too bulky and big. He's supposed to be a younger teen and he looks much older.

From an interview posted yesterday (IGN?) it sounded more like the iconic outfits will be there in pieces you have to hunt for :/
Gosh darnit. It's going to take forever to have a full collection, won't it?

vg260

I hope there are alt costumes and not just random gear. The gear shown so far don't seem to consist of iconic costumes.

That, and have fully unlocked gear "sets" be selectable in modes that do not have customization (like tourney modes) a la costume changes alongside actual alts (assuming that's a different thing altogether), which would give tons of costume options.

From an interview posted yesterday (IGN?) it sounded more like the iconic outfits will be there in pieces you have to hunt for :/

Here's where he talks about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji0XuhQr1Zc&t=13m25s

If they're not selling complete complete "skins", I'm wondering how they are going to implement their micro-transactions, which are surely happening. I'm assuming random loot packs or something just as bad.

Kouichi

Deadshot, Red Hood, and Static were the only three I really wanted, so I'm already completely satisfied that one made it in. I'm thinking Red Hood is a shoe-in for at least DLC even he isn't already in the main roster. Static also has a fair chance, but I'm not too confident with him.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Hopefully they won't cut Manhunter again this time. He and Lobo were the only interesting DLC characters in the first game

MattXIII

I expect most of the previous roster will return with a few exceptions like:

Ares
Killer Frost
Zatanna
Shazam
Scorpion

Personally I'm hoping for:
Bat Woman
Clayface
Mera
Metallo
Katana (Not Kitana)

fernoca

If they're not selling complete complete "skins", I'm wondering how they are going to implement their micro-transactions, which are surely happening. I'm assuming random loot packs or something just as bad.
Based on current trends and their other games:
-You earn currency by doing things in the game, which you can use to buy either crates with 1 random item or a mix of character items.
-You can use actual money to buy more currency
-Some deluxe/timed/limited edition crates of sorts can be obtained by paying with higher amounts of currency or money
-A few rare crates that can only be obtained with money
-Same with character themed crates, which may include alternate costumes
-And also the random stuff like unlock all characters for $20, XP boosts for like $5 or 2X currency for $3.

Neoxon

I expect most of the previous roster will return with a few exceptions like:

Ares
Killer Frost
Zatanna
Shazam
Scorpion

Personally I'm hoping for:
Bat Woman
Clayface
Mera
Metallo
Katana (Not Kitana)
Shazam's probably coming back thanks to his DCEU movie being in the pipeline. We also may end up keeping Zatanna since she was a huge fan request for the first game & is in the Justice League Dark animated movie.

MattXIII

Shazam's probably coming back thanks to his DCEU movie being in the pipeline. We also may end up keeping Zatanna since she was a huge fan request for the first game & is in the Justice League Dark animated movie.

I hope Zatanna returns, but with a refined move set though, i found her pretty goofy to use. But her plus NRS's new face tech = thumbs up.

Sad thing is, even if the game had a roster of over 50 there would still be plenty of interesting characters left out.

Robin would be cool, but with the Red Hood and Nightwing (assuming both), that's quite a lot of Robins already. They really could just give Nightwing a Robin styled costume and that would work just fine.

This makes me think John Stewart won't be back. Full costumes has its advantages over pieces.

There's other stuff that seems like this armor system will make awkward. Like trying to fit something like Batman Beyond's cowl on beefy Dark Knight Returns Batman's body.

So some of the more "out there" redesigns and costumes that don't play nice with other costume pieces probably won't be included unless they have pieces that take up multiple slots or something.

Or they go the Valve cosmetic route and just say "screw it, if it clips, it clips, that's the customer's choice"

vaderise

I think goners are;
Solomon Grundy
Killer Frost
Ares
Bane
Catwoman (?)

And please bring in Constantine and Red Hood.

Give me some Shiva, she's perfect for a fighting game.
I'd also like to see modern day Mr. Terrific, T-spheres would be dope.
Oh and Kilowog, Captain Boomerang (Diggers son who had speed power), Cheetah, Mirror Master. I'd love to see them all pop up.

Khezu

Robin would be cool, but with the Red Hood and Nightwing (assuming both), that's quite a lot of Robins already. They really could just give Nightwing a Robin styled costume and that would work just fine.

This makes me think John Stewart won't be back. Full costumes has its advantages over pieces.

There's other stuff that seems like this armor system will make awkward. Like trying to fit something like Batman Beyond's cowl on beefy Dark Knight Returns Batman's body.

So some of the more "out there" redesigns and costumes that don't play nice with other costume pieces probably won't be included unless they have pieces that take up multiple slots or something.

Or they go the Valve cosmetic route and just say "screw it, if it clips, it clips, that's the customer's choice"

I would say Stewart has a better chance to come back then most other characters.

They have specifically said there is gear pieces that change characters, citing Supergirl to Powergirl as an example.

Stewart would be easier since they already have Phil Lamarr doing VO for them.

I'm not even a big fan of Stewart, but that was a really good costume, second only to yellow lantern Hal.

J-Tier

I was thinking the same thing. There are so many costumes throughout the years that really wouldn't work with the gear system. It's either a separate thing altogether, completely omitted; or as you said, a mishmash clipfest.

Wouldn't be totally happy with the latter two options.

Another compromise I can see them doing is including a base "body" that can be changed and has its own set of gears and different gears may be equippable across different bases.

KDC720

I want Black Adam, Green Arrow, and Deathstroke back from the first game.

Red Hood and Static for newcomers.

Xevren

I do hope Martian Manhunter returns, I really liked him in the first one even though he was kind of a broken piece of shit. Just redo him or change how his stuff works at least, it was too much.

Top Bottom