• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let there be Life! Scientists create RNA from base elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itxaka

Defeatist
God's Beard said:

God's Beard

That is kind of funny.

Gotta check the article. RNA is Ribonucleic Acid right?

EDIT:

Whoa, awesome

However, though researchers have been able to show how RNA’s component molecules, called ribonucleotides, could assemble into RNA, their many attempts to synthesize these ribonucleotides have failed. No matter how they combined the ingredients — a sugar, a phosphate, and one of four different nitrogenous molecules, or nucleobases — ribonucleotides just wouldn’t form.

Sutherland’s team took a different approach in what Harvard molecular biologist Jack Szostak called a “synthetic tour de force” in an accompanying commentary in Nature.

“By changing the way we mix the ingredients together, we managed to make ribonucleotides,” said Sutherland. “The chemistry works very effectively from simple precursors, and the conditions required are not distinct from what one might imagine took place on the early Earth.”

Like other would-be nucleotide synthesizers, Sutherland’s team included phosphate in their mix, but rather than adding it to sugars and nucleobases, they started with an array of even simpler molecules that were probably also in Earth’s primordial ooze.

They mixed the molecules in water, heated the solution, then allowed it to evaporate, leaving behind a residue of hybrid, half-sugar, half-nucleobase molecules. To this residue they again added water, heated it, allowed it evaporate, and then irradiated it.

At each stage of the cycle, the resulting molecules were more complex. At the final stage, Sutherland’s team added phosphate. “Remarkably, it transformed into the ribonucleotide!” said Sutherland.

According to Sutherland, these laboratory conditions resembled those of the life-originating “warm little pond” hypothesized by Charles Darwin if the pond “evaporated, got heated, and then it rained and the sun shone.”

ronito

jpbc.jpg

Sorry my jar of peanut butter doesn't agree.

A bit over-reaching on the thread title and wired article title. But this is very interesting research. Not quite at self-replicating though.

But I'm pretty sure that in my next jar of peanut butter . . . :D

Edit: DAMN IT. Ronito beat me to the peanut butter joke.

none of that would've happened if God didn't give us these wonderful brains of ours

Now, can someone help me with these goal posts?

devilhawk

Mistouze said:
B-B-BUT it did not happen in nature by itself! GOD DID IT!

Neat stuff btw, I wonder when that RNA bands starts replicating itself. I guess there's still some road from RNA to life.
That's kind of the problem. The RNA world theory isn't all that far fetched but the self replication of RNA isn't exactly known - at least from things solely in the primordial soup and no proteins or activation factors. There have been some recent studies into ribozymes that can self replicate each other.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
But technically a beard doesn't work, hence it losing a job is completely nonsensical.

Sibylus

Banned
scorcho said:
But technically a beard doesn't work, hence it losing a job is completely nonsensical.
Everybody knows powers are in the hair. Just ask Samson, who couldn't even commit suicide without growing his locks out again.

Bulla564

Banned
It took quite an education to form a basic ribonucleotide through years of testing. I wonder who will be intelligent enough to engineer the other structures of rNA in a lab.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bulla564 said:
It took quite an education to form a basic ribonucleotide through years of testing. I wonder who will be intelligent enough to engineer the other structures of rNA in a lab.
Here we go!

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Bulla564 said:

yah.. and we did it much much faster than the time frame it naturally took.. seems like there wasnt any type of 'intelligence' behind our beginnings.. unless they were mentally handicapped.

devilhawk

Bulla564 said:
What, like a ribozyme?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Bulla564 said:
God, obviously

Bulla564 said:

So because it takes time to discover things such as this, it's somehow invalidated?

That's like saying all those years it tool science to prove Religion wrong in that the world isn't the center of the Solar System/Universe is somehow invalidated.

I mean ... what kind of thinking is this?

Bulla564 said:
:lol So because it took centuries to figure out that the Earth rotated around the Sol, it doesn't make it true?

devilhawk

Fenderputty said:
So because it takes time to discover things such as this, it's somehow invalidated?

That's like saying all those years it tool science to prove Religion wrong in that the world isn't the center of the Solar System/Universe is somehow invalidated.

He doesn't understand what the term structure means for RNA. He likely means types. Synthesis of those types isn't the problem. The whole point of the science trying to prove the RNA World hypothesis is to form a progression from the primordial soup to a autocatalytic RNA to life composed of only RNA. They are also concurrently working on the evolution of RNA to DNA for storage purposes with the remnants thought to be ribosomal RNA.

Jonm1010

Banned
Fenderputty said:

The thinking of someone who finds the argument of creationism compelling.

Maybe I don't understand this stuff enough (I don't), but what's preventing these ribonucleotides that exist today from doing this same process out in nature? Is it because the conditions of the earth are so dramatically different that we can't just drop some ribonucleotides out in a pond and observe how it develops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom