• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sonic Youtube Channel Encourages Fans To Keep Making Sonic Fan Games

go8oh3hnqahq5tzo3iza.png

It’s been a pretty good time for fan games. We’ve had a full scale remake of Metroid 2 and an amazing tribute to Sonic the Hedgehog. Only one of these games has been taken down by corporate forces. Last week, the Game Grumps played Green Hill Paradise Act 2. Sega noticed. And gave a big thumbs up.

Instead of rallying lawyers or striking the Game Grumps and Green Hill Paradise Act 2's team with a copyright claim under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, official Sega social media outreach actively encouraged fans to make more games and content.

On the other side of this coin is Nintendo. They took down Metroid 2 remake AM2R, were hitting enough download sites that the creators of Pokemon Uranium felt they needed to take their game down, placed a strike against the fan mash up No Mario’s Sky and even removed hundreds of fan titles from Game Jolt. Now, the Game Jolt matter was a bit fraught. The site was making advertisement revenue while hosting those particular games. Still, the difference is night and day when it comes to fan games overall.

http://kotaku.com/sega-takes-shot-at-nintendo-encourages-fans-to-keep-ma-1786527246

Dremark

Banned
They need more people they can use to develop official Sonic games.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

They need something good out there to get fans excited for Sonic, cuz they sure as hell ain't makin it!

Generations was one of my most played games last console gen and Mania looks like a dream come true :p I'm not sold just yet but I'm holding out for the 2017 game!

I finished AM2R just yesterday making it my first Metrod game I ever beat with 100% and I loved every second of it to the point that I can say AM2R is not only the first good Metroid game in almost a decade but also my favorite 2D Metroid ever made. Super Metroid can eat it's 1994 heart out.

When I was playin it all I could think of is how this game could've easily passed for an official first party title. It's that good.

If only Nintendo would've given this game the Sonic CD treatment and hire the guy making it and make it an official release. Work with your fans. Not against them.

Dunkley

Fans can do what Sega don't

FTFY.

Since that's the important thing about it. Eyeing Sonic Mania one could only dream how great it would be to have AM2R released as an official product with the team behind it being able to develop further games that spread from the same roots.

Chinner

Banned
Considering what's happening with Sonic Mania, maybe Sega is trying to encourage this as they could be the next generation of developers.

Air

Banned
Well Sega has always been fairly loose with sonic (look at all the fan drawings and stuff).

Sonic is a valuable IP, and sega can do what they want with it, but that doesn't mean Nintendo is wrong in protecting their ip.

epmode

What will they say when a judge strips the Sonic IP from them because they're not suing/DMCAing everything in sight? Gotta protect your IP or you lose it, right?

(No, you're not forced to threaten fan game devs to protect your IP. Nintendo's just being dumb and backwards again.)

While I don't think Nintendo was ever wrong for trying to handle their IP, I sure hope they're taking notes. The more the competition rubs salt in their wound the better

MrBadger

Wasn't sure if the first post would be a snarky comment against Nintendo or a snarky comment against official Sonic games

Anyway, good on them for encouraging fan talent. We wouldn't have Sonic Mania if it wasn't for their attitude towards fan games.

RomanceDawn

I don't blame Sega or Nintendo for doing what they are doing.

With Nintendo I understand it's reasons for wanting to protect it's property. With Sega I understand them letting Sonic fans just go nuts. There have been so many missteps with Sonic, if a fan makes something that just catches fire that makes total sense for Sonic gameplay I could easily see Sega happily "borrowing" ideas for later.

Cool since 06 is blacklisted and this came out. Then Sonic 06 PC by Gistix should be good. Also I guess this draws into Project Beat and JSRF

Sciz

This is the same company that went to the trouble of officially supporting ROM hacks on Steam. They're pretty cool like that.

TriAceJP

Considering what's happening with Sonic Mania, maybe Sega is trying to encourage this as they could be the next generation of developers.

That's what I'm seeing as well. Whitehead got his start by writing his own ports of Sonic games.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
What Sega should be doing is encouraging fan games of the hundreds of other IP they've just been sitting on for two-plus decades doing nothing with.

We've already got enough Sonic games, both fan-made and official. Let's bring back Space Channel 5, Golden Axe, Ristar, and all the other forgotten Sega properties.

MrBadger

What Sega should be doing is encouraging fan games of the hundreds of other IP they've just been sitting on for two-plus decades doing nothing with.

We've already got enough Sonic games, both fan-made and official. Let's bring back Space Channel 5, Golden Axe, Ristar, and all the other forgotten Sega properties.

Well, there was that one Streets of Rage thing...

udivision

Sega are idiots.

I now have the rights to Sonic, uh, Tails.... Winkle and Slappy!

I checked with my stock broker (he's rich, not broke) and he told me Sonic's IP is at about 10%. Talk about embarrassing on Sega's part.

Fan made Seaman 3. Let's go.

Bio-Frost

But, but, Streets of Rage Remake?...

That was years ago and likely have different people in charge now. Plus its not like its hard to find, sega could of easily tired to remove it from the net yet a quick google finds the game and a patch for it.

Top Bottom