• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect Andromeda is about Colonialism

Got a few survey screens to show the direction their marketing is going.

ZtEcH3F.png

Swh80pt.png

ivTXsAn.png

SystemBug

I wanted to make a game about European colonization once. but i dont think this game will take the approach I was thinking off lol

That would definitely be interesting. We always had the perspective of the invaded, so being the invader should be something fresh

First I'm going to act nice and get the inevitable alien love interest to romance

Then post-coitus I'm going for the full alien genocide ending

Banned
Makes us feel like the villain. The aliens are the aboriginals and we're playing as the white man.

But if the Ark contained only humans, does that human only human squad mates?

Either way I'm hyped as fuck and that armor is lit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Makes us feel like the villain. The aliens are the aboriginals and we're playing as the white man.

But if the Ark contained only humans, does that human only human squad mates?

Either way I'm hyped as fuck and that armor is lit.

We've already seen a Krogan squadmate.

Ascenion

Expected. Not really much else I was thinking was going to happen with all the project arkcon/Ark theories and whatnot. Not really much else that could happen unless Andromeda skipped the arrival to the new galaxy and placed us in a ME1 type situation again.

MartyStu

Since the trip is one way, they are more like refugees than colonists.

I think it would be a mistake to go that direction.

I feel like we already knew about the colonization aspect.

and ugh, humanity. nobody cares.

how about focus on the new, undiscovered races we'll find in the galaxy instead.

I feel like we already knew about the colonization aspect.

and ugh, humanity. nobody cares.

how about focus on the new, undiscovered races we'll find in the galaxy instead.

Yeah the last leaked survey already stated that the player is colonzing in the Andromeda galaxy, making a new home. So it's not exactly news, unless more information pops up

Banned
We've already seen a Krogan squadmate.
Oh good. I can't remember if the ark was all of the citadel races on one ship or just humans. Simply because the game descriptions keep saying to fit for humanity instead of the galaxy.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Oh man, I hope they give us a true renegade ending where you can enslave the natives and make them build a big statue of you or something.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mass Effect from the human perspective has been getting dull to me.

Fuck them for that poll acting like they would do different playable races

UberLevi

I think it's already been known for a while now that Mass Effect: Andromeda is going for a kind of manifest destiny, expansion to the west theme.

They've stated more or less that, to them, ME is very much about playing a human and experiencing the universe from that perspective.

This is a big part of why the ME franchise doesn't grab me as much as, say, Dragon Age. I don't like to be stuck playing a human in a universe with other more intriguing species/races/aliens.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Assuming this is real, they better let players have an actual choice and be able to be pro-colonizers.

I dont give a shit about some spaceship-less alien civilizaton that hugs trees.

Griss

I think it's outstanding and fertile ground. You could play colonialism straight as humanity's hero (justified as 'we have no other choice'), or you could play it as 'humanity is the bad guy', with all the shades of grey in between. Either way, the focus will be on exploring alien planets and meeting new races, and all of that sounds like gravy to me.

Lingitiz

Sounds good but I hope it doesn't just end up with the majority of the content like DAI where you go to a planet and check a bunch of boxes on a wide open map.

Top Bottom