• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 trailer coming out [Thursday]

Status
Not open for further replies.

WARP10CK

Banned
KoCVj.gif

Pretty much sums up my reaction

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I hate it when they make futuristic time so close to our time. 2077 is what, about 64 years from now? Yeah, lazers and space cars in 60 years.

Imagine ~60 years ago talking to someone in the 1950s and saying to them "Would you believe we'll have space-stations in space within 50 years?". Now it's not Star Wars, but the ISS is still a space station and the first parts were in space well before 2000 I believe.

Not saying we will shoot lasers out our eyes in 60 years from now but technology is still advancing at a rapid and exponential pace.

injurai

Banned
I hate it when they make futuristic time so close to our time. 2077 is what, about 64 years from now? Yeah, lazers and space cars in 60 years.

I really don't think the jump will be too much. We already have exosuits and other crazy tech in the works. Even if its not commercialized for consumers you will see it in the military and corporate warehouses.

Look at Google glass. In 20 years we may all wear stuff like that on our faces.

Corky

I really don't think the jump will be too much.

Look at Google glass. In 20 years we may all wear stuff like that on our faces.

I think what people get hung up on is the advancements in personal transportation. While no doubt we have mindboggling strides in cars, compare the Ford model T to...hmm say a Bugatti Veyron or something, we still don't have flying cars - probably because we don't need them.

i-Lo

Imagine ~60 years ago talking to someone in the 1950s and saying to them "Would you believe we'll have space-stations in space within 50 years?". Now it's not Star Wars, but the ISS is still a space station and the first parts were in space well before 2000 I believe.

Not saying we will shoot lasers out our eyes in 60 years from now but technology is still advancing at a rapid and exponential pace.

Also, hasn't scientific and technological progression accelerated in the last 40 or so years with the advent of computers?

While I don't know about flying cars, by 2077, I'm pretty sure, there'll be certain technologies (esp, with all the talk of 3D printing) available for most that we think of infeasible with our current outlook.

Sentenza

The funny thing in this statement is: the technological gap from today's standards 60 years from now will probably be far bigger than most cyberpunk settings ever predicted, at least in some fields.
Hell, in some aspects even today we are already ahead of what the '80s version of the P&P game predicted.

Damn, it's actually called "Cyberpunk?"

Weak...
Oh god, not this again.
It's not called "generic cyberpunk stuff, durr".
It's named after the CYBERPUNK pen&paper roleplay game.
That's it. Cyberpunk is the actual name of the IP.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

People in the 60's thought we were going to have colonies on the moon and mars by the 1990's.

Corky

Also, hasn't scientific and technological progression accelerated in the last 40 or so years with the advent of computers?

While I don't know about flying cars, by 2077, I'm pretty sure, there'll be certain technologies (esp, with all the talk of 3D printing) available for most that we think of infeasible with our current outlook.

Indeed, also for what it's worth ( I don't remember whether or not this is even true so take it with a grain of salt ) but I remember reading a claim that every year the amount of accumulated scientific papers and research outnumber those from all other previous years combined. Sorry for the OT :D

They thought we were going to have colonies on the moon and mars by the 1990's.

If the need arose and expansion was our main scientific goal ( instead of the current militaristic one ) we could have, why not? Astronomical cost and the need to do so aside, I don't see any part of the puzzle that we haven't technically solved by now ( with regards to having humans inhabit the moon ),

Midou

My body is ready. We have so few RPGs with actual depth, and even fewer proper Cyberpunk games.

Witcher Dev is my favorite up-and-coming this gen(even though they are technically older than that in some ways), my body is ready.

injurai

Banned
I think what people get hung up on is the advancements in personal transportation. While no doubt we have mindboggling strides in cars, compare the Ford model T to...hmm say a Bugatti Veyron or something, we still don't have flying cars - probably because we don't need them.

From the beginning of the new honda commerial. Looks like flying vehicles are atleast becoming a thing of tecnology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WbWmdNAdhM

Corky

I just hope its gameplay footage, I really don't understand the appeal of CG trailers.

I guess to show off games that are otherwise in an unfinished/polished state. In other words : better than nothing since noone is going to go and use pre-alpha gameplay as commercials/marketing.

Hindle

Banned
If this isn't out until 2015 then it's a bit too soon for a trailer. My guess? It's coming next year.

I'm thinking it will be stylised CGI like the first Deus Ex trailers.

Serra

I guess to show off games that are otherwise in an unfinished/polished state. In other words : better than nothing since noone is going to go and use pre-alpha gameplay as commercials/marketing.

Why not wait until the game is in a good shape (~3 months before release, I hope) and start burning that marketing budget then?

injurai

Banned
In terms of being technologically feasible they were "a thing" years ago. If they aren't widely spread among the people is simply because we realized over the years they are neither cost-effective, particularly safe or all that useful.

hopefully only the Bourgeoisie owns them in Cyperpunk then.

Corky

Why not wait until the game is in a good shape (~3 months before release, I hope) and start burning that marketing budget then?

I'm sure there's some legit math behind when to market and how much/wide etc but I have no idea why certain games, movies, whatever, are shown/marketed so early.

Mesoian

I'm sure there's some legit math behind when to market and how much/wide etc but I have no idea why certain games, movies, whatever, are shown/marketed so early.

Word of mouth. When there's almost no chance this game is going to get an american television marketing budget, you have to use every last element of marketing to your advantage. If they can put this out now, get it run on every last gaming website and strike up a buzz, they'll be a good position. You do that every 5 months until release and make a big push with the traditional market 2 weeks before release and 6 weeks after.

injurai

Banned

Word of mouth. When there's almost no chance this game is going to get an american television marketing budget, you have to use every last element of marketing to your advantage. If they can put this out now, get it run on every last gaming website and strike up a buzz, they'll be a good position. You do that every 5 months until release and make a big push with the traditional market 2 weeks before release and 6 weeks after.

Word of mouth sells better than anything.

Also investors.

Blizzard

Banned
Couldn't have said it any better.

I just hope its gameplay footage, I really don't understand the appeal of CG trailers.
I also like gameplay, but this comes up so often, here's a question: What were the last trailers, especially world premier first-ever trailers, that were filled with gameplay and sold you on the game because of that?

I feel that the enormously vast majority of trailers have cutscenes, CG, and/or edited gameplay. Watching ordinary gameplay with a HUD or something may bore a fair number of people, and probably doesn't fit well into smalll advertising slots. I understand the desire from some people to see gameplay, but I guess I feel like there are often vocal reactions of dismay or surprise when a trailer is not primarily gameplay, and I think that such expectations are unrealistic for a variety of reasons, like the ones mentioned above. :p

In fact, the Deus Ex HR trailer was one of my favorite ever. I don't think it even had gameplay, but I liked the mood it set and loved the music and some of the lines in the trailer. I almost wanted to buy the game to reward the effort spent to make the trailer, as funny as that may sound. I do like the atmosphere and concept of the Deus Ex games though, and I tend to read lots of fantasy/scifi/cyberpunk so I was biased in that regard.

In terms of being technologically feasible they were "a thing" years ago. If they aren't widely spread among the people is simply because we realized over the years they are neither cost-effective, particularly safe or all that useful.

or like the oil industry... because it gets in the way of our business and makes us structurally obsolete.

Read about street cars in the U.S., it will make you sad-_-

ALSO. HYPE!!!!!!!!

60 years is so far in the future that any predictions we make now will almost invariably prove incredibly wrong -- likely too ambitious in some respects and far too conservative in many others. If MNT proves possible, the advances will be far greater than any of us can comprehend.

I agree with your sentiment but not for 2077. Now DX:HR (as much as I loved that game), being set in 2025? Yeah, that's pretty goofy, although I realize they were hemmed in by the timeline of the franchise.

injurai

Banned
60 years is so far in the future that any predictions we make now will almost invariably prove incredibly wrong -- likely too ambitious in some respects and far too conservative in many others. If MNT proves possible, the advances will be far greater than any of us can comprehend.

I agree with your sentiment but not for 2077. Now DX:HR (as much as I loved that game), being set in 2025? Yeah, that's pretty goofy, although I realize they were hemmed in by the timeline of the franchise.

Exactly. Look at bioshock. No way we could actually pull off Rapture back then. No way could we do it now. Not feasibly at least. Then we have metal gear which is in some ways a conservative look at the future. But then we also have other crazy technologies depicted.

There will always be some technologies that push the bleeding edge more than others, and I'm interested to see how everything gets flushed out for 2077.

Fjordson

I can't freaking wait.

And 2077 seems plenty futuristic to me. Blade Runner was set only 37 years in the future when it came out? This is over 60.

EDarkness

Oh god, not this again.
It's not called "generic cyberpunk stuff, durr".
It's named after the CYBERPUNK pen&paper roleplay game.
That's it. Cyberpunk is the actual name of the IP.

Man, I loved the pen and paper RPG back in the day. I still have all of the source books as well. But damn, the gun combat in that game was brutal. Much like real life one shot and you're toast. Players in my campaigns tried to avoid shootouts as much as possible. I imagine they'll make some adjustments to it so that it's more fun.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Not as hyped as many people around here are. Hopefully I will be after seeing this trailer. If anything I am hoping for some competitive graphics. The Witcher 2 disappointed me graphically in everything but IQ and Texture work.

Also, by 2077 I think we will be surprised where we are technically. Although I will be long dead sans any miraculous life extending tech.

I recommend reading The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom