• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Big Trouble in Little NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuiji

...But that's what Kind Lun does.

Apparently Danny 'Incompetent Fist' Rand forgot that K'un L'un exists in another dimension or whatever it is he said to the doctor. Which makes sense, because the scriptwriters usually forgot what happened in the previous scene, so how can we expect them to remember something from over 10 episodes ago?

MRORANGE

The drunk fight scene / homage to Jackie Chan was the only good thing about the show and even that was poorly done.

The ending was just shit and stupid.

God, this first episode is so logically and technically flawed.

- The dumb CGI flip and hawk.
- The shitty Chinese.
- The dumb flashback plotting and the weird way events in the past unfolded.
- The weird homeless dude scenes.

And now I've seen the spoilers, apparently it just get dumber? We never see K'un L'un? No Yu-Ti? Why is Davos brown but his dad is played by someone Chinese?

Ugh just ugh. I wish I were kidding when I said when Marvel first announced these series Iron Fist was the one I was most hyped for. I ignored every dumb rumor that said this series was in trouble and now I get a dumb show that fucks up one of my favorite characters. Just fire Buck and make a Heroes For Hire show, or fucking hire me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Oh didn't know there's a spoiler thread. Cross post from other thread:
What are the redeeming factors? For Luke Cage for example it was Cottonmouth and the whole art/music direction.
5472159-3603070599-tumbl.jpg

Fuck no. I rage-quit after episode 7 but my friends soldiered on so I ended up hearing the rest in the background.Colleen's characterization is all over the place and the episode 10 hand twist just belabors the point. Was she trained by her grandfather as Gao said or the Hand? Why the fuck is she fighting for money to maintain the dojo instead of just asking for funds/collecting a paycheck from the Hand since she's apparently good at her job of funneling trainees to them? If she's trained by the Hand why's she feeling guilty about feeling good fighting and not keeping her emotions in check?

The actress is alright but some of the lines are so bad that nobody could make them believable. There's that epic fail in episode 13 where after Claire gives her speech why Danny shouldn't kill Howard then Colleen decides to jump in with her own mini-speech only to end with "which is why I have to kill Howard for you" I did a double take and had to ask for a skip backwards just to confirm with my eyes if she really spit out that shit. The only appropriate response is as Claire does; throw up your arms in frustration.

uiw0Ufy.jpg

The only redeeming part of this show is when Claire tells these fucktards that they need to get serious professional help

I'm still pissed off just thinking that Colleen line. What the fuck did Danny do/to for her that she wouldn't kill for her own purposes but she's ready to kill for him?

This show managed to destroy all my hype for The Defenders. And also retroactively make DD1&2 worse with the Gao/Hand confusion. I won't be bothering with any Netflix Marvel featuring Danny shit again.

Perineum

Danny's training must have been a joke.

The final fight scene on the roof he is getting his ass kicked by a guy flailing a giant metal beam at him....wut? You can back flick into a head kick, flow like water, etc, but you get a boo boo on your hand and now you can't fight logically anymore?

Just in general his 15 years must have been spent doing nothing but bitch work carrying jugs for water and getting slapped by sticks, because I was in no way convinced he was some bad ass warrior.

Rough show from start to finish. Only way I want a season 2 is if they can redeem EVERYTHING from season 1. Make him a truly bad ass fighter in season 2, no more emo whiny shit every 2 seconds of pussy rage, give him his costume give him a REAL villain, get a budget for a dragon CGI, a plot worth sticking out, and does he really need a love story? Why do all these characters need love stories? Drop them. Shit me.

Kyne

after this season I feel like anyone on the other 3 shows can beat the shit out of Danny.

isn't he supposed to be the strongest in the group?

LotusHD

Banned
after this season I feel like anyone on the other 3 shows can beat the shit out of Danny.

isn't he supposed to be the strongest in the group?

At the very least, his whole life goal is to destroy the Hand. Like, he's been literally trained to do so, and yet the fight scenes suggest otherwise...

Really bugged me too when they had that one scene where Colleen was fawning over him, telling Bakoto how great he was at fighting.

Showrunner: "Well the costume wouldn't really work in real life."

Episode 10: *Amazing scene of old timey Iron Fist in mask kicking ass in the show's best fight scene*

when-nick-young-the-basketball-player-met-nick-young-the-meme-body-image-1485378510.jpg

I enjoyed it well enough to keep watching. It was pretty dumb throughout, but in a pulpy sort of way that kept my interest as opposed to Luke Cage, which was boring as hell.

The China episode was incredibly stupid though.

Iron Fist: Wow you also fought the Hand that's what I like trained my whole life for dude.

Daredevil: They were relentless undead Ninjas and trained assassins who would not stop for anything and even killed my girlfriend.

Iron Fist: Oh I know, and the community cult college kids put up quite the fight too.

Daredevil: ....

Overall I enjoyed watching it. Not great but it was a dumb sort of fun show. Reminded me a bit of arrow I guess. The fight scenes really pale though after watching into the badlands directly beforehand. Don't think I will ever revisit it or recommend it to anyone, but it is not a crime against humanity some claim it to be. I think having my expectations tempered with all of the bad reviews helped.

I hope for season 2 they expand back into the past and then take ideas from Matt Factions run. They should have his Dad be the previous Iron Fist. Have him be a bitter drunk like the comics. Hopefully they show the other Heavenly Weapons and have Madame Gao be Crane Mother. Would make sense with the different versions of the Hand, hers could be a fake one guiding Danny and Davos. That way the real hand could actually be scary.

hobozero

I hope this never gets a season 2. Just garbage. Random thoughts:

Ward has the fastest on screen zero-to-drug addict-to-clean I have seen since Gene Hackman in The French Connection 2 (and Gene fucking sold it, unlike this bed-strap humping moron)

That said, I thought the actor playing Ward did a decent job with what he was given by the shit script.

Rosario Dawson saves almost every scene she is in. Instead of Iron Fist 2: Fist Harder, just do a damn Night Nurse series, Netflix.

Movies with better fight choreography than Iron Fist:
- They Live
- The Theory of Everything
- Kramer vs Kramer
- Ernest Goes to Jail

Madam Gao: bad-ass setup in DareDevil. Bad-ass silhouette scenes in early episodes, totally squandered by episode 7. For f*** sake... this was a frigging LAYUP, Netflix. How do you waste this? I understand that she gets shelved so you can have the Colleen is Hand twist, but the show was setting up for Colleen's dad to be the twist, or her grandfather (Daughter of the Dragon), just do that, and keep Gao as the villian.

Gao is menacing. A smiling old lady who will BURN THE EYES OUT OF YOUR HEAD AND MAKE YOU SLING HEROIN. Bakado was a f***ing camp counselor.

I don't understand half the characters at the end. Joy hates Danny now, even though Ward killed Howard? Davos is hand now? Did I sleep through an episode? Show had enough time to show riveting scenes like Danny Gets Takeout and Danny Eats Hoagie, but not Davos Gives Up His Vows and Joins His Sworn Enemy? Really?

And finally, how the HELL does the series keep teasing about Kun Lun, Danny's training, and his trial ("Wasn't what I expected...") without one coherent and lengthy flashback? I have flashback blueballs. Its like they practically promised a Kun Lun flashback episode with all the dialog and half-flashes, and then nothing? Seriously? @ CGI glowing eyes in the dark, and that's it???

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
All I came into this thread to say is that one of the best parts of the show was Master Splinter (Hoon Lee) showing up in Danny's mind telling him what to do in that trial by combat episode. I'd recognize that voice anywhere.

PsychBat!

Banned
There are a lot of things that stuck out to me.

Danny's stupidity and his brash "plans" of action

Ward's failure to realize to take the Hand more seriously. You'd think that seeing his dad alive again, he has to realize that this organization means serious fucking business. But nah, every time he's being told about these guys he's like "who?" and Harold and Danny respond with "the Hand". It's stupid.

Useless dialogue, trim the fat brahs

Characters disbelief of anything "too crazy". In a world where there was an alien invasion and a near AI robot apocalypse, you would think.... ah I hated the doctor who attended Danny in episode 2.

And take a look at this.

17333526_1881917318763990_4189860203497259008_n.jpg

Lack of any definite tone or style to differentiate from the other shows.

I'm not against making anything gritty and or real, the other shows do it well but embrace the weirdness of the source material. And this show is really shy to embrace it's more fantastical elements which is weird and idiotic because the source material is probably the most fantastical of all of them.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

Characters disbelief of anything "too crazy". In a world where there was an alien invasion and a near AI robot apocalypse, you would think.... ah I hated the doctor who attended Danny in episode 2.
Dude, you hit the nail on the head about the biggest gripe I have with the Netflix shows. Mother fucking aliens from another dimension attacked your city and was seen by the world!!!! People still talk about it and are affected by it. YOU KNOW THE AVENGERS ARE REAL AND EXIST!!!!! A guy that "came back from the dead" and is a super solider, a green rage monster, and a legit Thunder God that can fly!!! And you're questioning a dragon? A mystical Ninja clan? People that can actually channel their Chi into a glowing fist? Like sheeeeeeeeet. I'd believe almost anything in that world after aliens attacked my city and the government has a team of Super Heroes.

It's like, just shit of get off the pot man! Commit to the universe that you're in and go with it.

PsychBat!

Banned
Dude, you hit the nail on the head about the biggest gripe I have with the Netflix shows. Mother fucking aliens from another dimension attacked your city and was seen by the world!!!! People still talk about it and are affected by it. YOU KNOW THE AVENGERS ARE REAL AND EXIST!!!!! A guy that "came back from the dead" and is a super solider, a green rage monster, and a legit Thunder God that can fly!!! And you're questioning a dragon? A mystical Ninja clan? People that can actually channel their Chi into a glowing fist? Like sheeeeeeeeet. I'd believe almost anything in that world after aliens attacked my city and the government has a team of Super Heroes.

It's like, just shit of get off the pot man! Commit to the universe that you're in and go with it.

I think this is really only a major problem in Iron Fist. In other shows, people are surprised at the powers Matt, Jessica and Luke have but they are quickly accepted and embraced because they live in a world where super heroes exist. In Iron Fist, nah, powers are crazy and fictional, you belong to a mental hospital.

I think this is really only a major problem in Iron Fist. In other shows, people are surprised at the powers Matt, Jessica and Luke have but they are quickly accepted and embraced because they live in a world where super heroes exist. In Iron Fist, nah, powers are crazy and fictional, you belong to mental hospital.

Reminds me of the running joke in Doctor Who. People have seen aliens in the world, but the news would say it is a weather balloon or something. The lead complained about it. More tongue and cheek.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is really only a major problem in Iron Fist. In other shows, people are surprised at the powers Matt, Jessica and Luke have but they are quickly accepted and embraced because they live in a world where super heroes exist. In Iron Fist, nah, powers are crazy and fictional, you belong to mental hospital.
I guess you're right. I just really want the world to act like how they do in the comics. It's been almost 9 years since Stark admitted he was Iron Man in this world, time to just go with it.

The other gripe I have is how Danny is never brought up to speed on what's been going on in the world since he's been gone. Does he even know the Avengers exist? That New York was attacked? That an army of robots destroyed an entire city? Like, that is some pretty major shit to be kept in the dark about. Claire should've been more blunt about Matt and Luke as well. She says a few times that she "knows other people with powers", but Danny never asks a follow up question about them. How could you just brush that off??? It's just little shit like that which annoy the fuck out of me when I watch this shows. No one wants to know answers to cool shit.

PsychBat!

Banned
Just finished watching the Daredevil stairwell fight in S2 to get my mind off of the very mediocre fight scenes in Iron Fist. Now on to the Raid. Or Raid 2.

Ploid 3.0

Best part of the whole thing and it was a goddamn clip. Look at that mask!

I remember wondering how they would handle Iron Fist's mask after Dare Devil had a similar mask in season 1, but I never expected them to never give him a stinking mask. That old Iron Fist should just take over the show for season 2. Show people what a real Iron Fist is. Make it all about him and his day to day at K'un-Lun.

Iron Fist
CeyCiKe.gif

Danny's stupidity and his brash "plans" of action

Ward's failure to realize to take the Hand more seriously. You'd think that seeing his dad alive again, he has to realize that this organization means serious fucking business. But nah, every time he's being told about these guys he's like "who?" and Harold and Danny respond with "the Hand". It's stupid.

Useless dialogue, trim the fat brahs

And take a look at this.

17333526_1881917318763990_4189860203497259008_n.jpg

Lack of any definite tone or style to differentiate from the other shows.

I'm not against making anything gritty and or real, the other shows do it well but embrace the weirdness of the source material. And this show is really shy to embrace it's more fantastical elements which is weird and idiotic because the source material is probably the most fantastical of all of them.
Danny is supposed to be this naive dumb guy that knows nothing but martial arts (he doesnt even seem so powerful in that tbh). Thats kind of what I like about this character. Compared to Luke Cage, who had seemingly no weakness (hardskin+hulk level power), DD, who is smart and powerful or JJ, who has real drug addiction problems and psychological problems but still has superman level powers, danny has under average brains, martial arts skills that seem to be equivalent to DD and a mystical power he cant use reliably. He is flawed as hell which makes him interesting.

For Ward he is someone who lived on top of the corporate ladder for a long time and therefore his views are heavily influenced by this. He makes up corporate excuses/explanations if something doesnt seem to be inline with the companies views. Its the reason why his character does make such an interesting development once he questions his father, gets into the drug addiction and gets out of rehab.

Finished this yesterday. Overall, I'm pretty meh on it. Not nearly as bad as the reviews suggested, but definitely weaker than the other shows and fails at what should be it's main focus (kung fu).

Assorted Musings:

• I liked Finn Jones and I liked Danny's naivete even though it went a little too far some times. His childish temper tantrums were getting tiring towards the end though (I get why they were happening, but still). Ultimately, I'm just very interested to see how his character plays off the rest of the Defenders (DD in particular).

• I'm a fan of Colleen. Stuff around her plot doesn't make sense (why is your dojo so broke if it's essentially a Hand backed recruitment/training center?), but most of her character stuff I liked and the actress was great (not to mention super cute).

• I liked Claire in this, but I find it extremely annoying she didn't even bother to suggest getting Daredevil involved. Seriously, there's no reason. Danny needs back up, Daredevil has directly dealt with The Hand, he has a vested interest in them, he lives in NY, and as far as we know he isn't indisposed ala Luke. Even a simple throwaway line about her being unable to get a hold of him would have satisfied me.

• I'm not buying Joy entertaining the idea of killing Danny. Nothing that's happened between them has warranted it. She's shown no hate towards Danny besides maybe some betrayal for not telling her about her Father (which was explained to her by multiple people). She's shown no character traits to suggest she'd jump to murder even when talking about bringing down Bokuto. She has everything back including her brother and her job back in the company. Hell Danny didn't even kill her Father in the end, Ward did. Why would she want to go so far as to kill Danny?

• Davos. I liked the actor and his chemistry with Danny, but I just find it wrong that Danny towers over the dude. Especially considering how unimposing Finn Jones already is. Danny should look like an underdog next to him. I also don't think they earned him wanting to kill Danny towards the end. The resentment was very well built up and totally warranted, but at this point I'd only expect that he'd want Danny to return to K'un L'un to answer for himself which is exactly what Danny tried to do in the end.

• I don't think they ever gave a proper explanation as to why Danny left K'un L'un in the first place. He gave a little talk to Davos about how he felt unfulfilled after becoming the Iron Fist, but that's a really weak sauce excuse for abandoning your one and very important job with no word to your brethren.

• We really needed a flashback episode to K'un L'un. I assume we didn't because of budget and them wanting to keep the show grounded in NY, but we really needed to have more of a connection to the place outside of Danny's stories and Davos. Would have made the ending hit harder.

• What the hell is up with the structure of the Hand. I can kind of buy Gao being a seperate faction of the Hand (even if that feels retroactive), but what about Bokuto? Is he the same faction as Nobu? If he's not, then why are so many seperate factions working in the same city? Are they aligned at all? Is Bokuto's faction really a slightly nicer (yet ultimately still evil) faction or was that just the face of it?

• What exactly was Bokuto going to do to Colleen? He mentioned she would still be helping the Hand in dieing. Were they going to drain her for blood? Were they about to turn her in to one of those zombie people from DD season 2? Why did her students seem to have more knowledge about the underbelly of this whole thing than she did as presumably a higher ranked person in th Hand?

• The fights man. Oh man what a letdown. This is a show that should be about Kung Fu and yet it's fight scenes are almost all outdone by Arrow. There is no excuse for that when Daredevil does this so well. Hell, I'd bet Arrow has a similar budget and time constraint and yet they pull it off. That first sparring match between Danny and Colleen was unacceptable and I'm amazed they felt ok putting that in the final version. The show has zero standout fights except Collen's sword fight in China, the drunken master fight, and Colleen's fight with Bokuto, yet none of those are anything special or are even on par with most of Daredevil. The only real standout fight scene was the little clip we got of 1940s IF. Again, this is the show about Kung Fu! This should be one of the highest priorities! It should be a core pillar! I know they were trying to keep this grounded, but I really think they should have gone for a wire fu style for Danny. It would better differentiate him between Daredevil who at this point looks like he'd kick Danny's ass.

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that. Ultimately I'm pretty let down by it and it drained some of my hype for Defenders, though I think the DD showrunners will handle this all much better. I kind of agree that I'd rather have a Heroes for Hire show next rather than an IF season 2 (or even Luke Cage season 2). Just get someone else other than Buck to run it. Preferably someone who'll put more work in to the fight scenes.

Kyne

didn't really get the ending with Davos..

.it felt like another version of the Dr. Strange ending where things are black and white with the character and now for some reason they have to kill the main protagonist after spending the movie/series being their friend/partner.

my most anticipated hero and the most disappointing Netflix series. Sad day.

Deadly

Do people not realize how much of a scumbag Bakuto actually is? The guy is running a fuckin cult taking advantage of children that are "lost" and vulnerable and indoctrinating them. Did you also miss the torture chamber he had in the basement?

It's not as straight up scummy like how Madame Gao or the rest of the Hand operates but IMO it's actually way worst.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Do people not realize how much of a scumbag Bakuto actually is? The guy is running a fuckin cult taking advantage of children that are "lost" and vulnerable and indoctrinating them. Did you also miss the torture chamber he had in the basement?

It's not as straight up scummy like how Madame Gao or the rest of the Hand operates but IMO it's actually way worst.
I mean, he's technically the Shredder and the Foot Clan at this point. Ironic since the Foot is based off the Hand.

LordRaptor

Lol. I didn't make that connection before, but that's totally right.

really? The whole origin of TMNT is spoofing / homaging DDs origin - some variations actually include young Matt Murdock getting Ooozed in the eyes as a background detail prior to the ooze dripping into the sewers

I saw it mentioned elsewhere, but I think Daredevil is able to more easily do better fights since he has a mask on and they can use a stunt guy more often. I think that's the main reason the lighting is so dark and terribly lit in the Danny vs Davos fight. More reason to give Danny his mask.

really? The whole origin of TMNT is spoofing / homaging DDs origin - some variations actually include young Matt Murdock getting Ooozed in the eyes as a background detail prior to the ooze dripping into the sewers

Oh, I knew that, I'm talking about how closely Bakuto's situation mirrors the Shredder in TMNT1.

I liked Danny himself well enough - can't wait to see how he plays off of Luke Cage.

Also, holy shit, Joy is a level 100 follower. I'd say she's a terrible character, but having to deal with a person like that IRL? She did a good job. Still annoying, and miserably so.

Also, why is it the boy raised by monks that has the most difficult time controlling his anger? Lol.

I loved the drunken fist style fight, and most of the fight choreography was pretty decent, IMO.

I went from hating Ward to thinking he was the goddamn man, so good character development on him at least.

The preachiness about killing got incredibly old, really early on.

But I don't feel like this show ever hit a lull like the other Marvel shows. It's maybe not as good as Daredevil S1 or Luke Cage Pt.1 S1, but it's still pretty damn good, IMO.

8/10 from me.

I finished Episode 10; gonna binge the rest tonight

Episode 8 almost made me quit; so much slog between Danny, Claire and Colleen.

Episode 9 LOL, how did Gao get transported to NYC tied up? Did they let her use the bathroom on the plane? where did the plane stop for gas?

For everyone complaining about Iron Fist getting beaten a lot...

Didn't Slayven tell y'all? When people were talking about how problematic it could be for this to be another "white dude does martial arts better than any Asian story," he mentioned that Danny sucks at fighting, comparatively speaking.

Now, if he were godlike, that would have been another reason for complaint, yes?

EDIT: YO, GAO IS THE BEST CHARACTER. Her mind games give me life.

LordRaptor

Seems like a lot of the complaints about danny not being a great fighter (although he usually always wins in the end anyway) and should have been a minority casting instead of a white guy are from folks who would really like a Shang Chi show.

I'd also really like a Shang-Chi show.
I don't think you need to make Iron Fist into Shang-Chi though.

But it's not consistent. He goes from struggling with a single random dude with a knife, to effortlessly beating a hallway full of hatchet men, to struggling with a single trained drunken master to again effortlessly swatting away dozens of trained Hand fighters. It made no sense and he seemed to be stronger/weaker (even ignoring his access to the iron fist) whenever the story demanded it

I don't actually mind Danny being naive, or any of the casting decisions. It was mostly the non casting related issues

Vic_Viper

Do we know who Bokuto was referring too when he had Danny in handcuffs and said that there was someone waiting for them that has been looking forward to working with Danny for a long time? Its obviously not Madam Gao. It could have been Davos, but its not him either. I assume its an older Iron Fist, but dont know for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom