• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Vita screens

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Off-screen videos, really guys?
Virtua Tennis 4 is full resolution at 60 fps with more detailed models (same as console). Heck, there are typically more on screen models at any one time than this as well.

What about Marvel vs Capcom 3? Nearly the same level of detail as the console game with multiple fighters appearing on screen at once at 60 fps and native resolution.

Clearly the issue here is simply that UE3 hasn't yet been optimized for the Vita and this team wasn't capable of really delivering. They had to sacrifice a whole hell of a lot in order to hit 60 fps. Too much, perhaps.

What's odd is that Vita's hardware is basically the same as iOS hardware (though faster and with direct access to hardware available). I can't see why UE3 would struggle on the platform.

I would love to see what's Capcom capable of doing with MT Framework on the device. Since it looks like western developers aren't going to push the system.

theBishop

Banned
It is in Vita resolution, but the game clearly runs at lower than native Vita resolution, hence the blurry and jaggy mess.

That would be my guess too. Seems like a deficiency in Vita's still capturing tool. I see this all the time in Uncharted where I'm blown away by a scene, take a picture and it doesn't look nearly as good as the real-time image.

You can easily see from footage that this MK game looks great, despite these stills.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Indeed. Tekken is extremely impressive and rare for 3DS (every other fighter is 30 fps in 3D) while Mortal Kombat is highly unimpressive for Vita.

My eyes are deceiving me then :p

It's obvious that the Vita port was compromised in a way but you can't judge until we get to see it first hand. Or some good OS captures.

gogogow

Off-screen videos, really guys?

I would love to see what's Capcom capable of doing with MT Framework on the device. Since it looks like western developers aren't going to push the system.

Have you not seen the screen comparison of SFxT between PS3 and Vita? While the Vita version has downgrades on all aspects, it still looks very good and is still beyond what the PSP can do. This otoh is just pathetic, they had to sacrifice resolution, models, shader effects, textures and still looks like a PSP game. What a shame, the Vita can do much more.

Spiegel

BH6s6.jpg

X8Cs8.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why the huge hit in textures? The Vita has more memory than the 360 and PS3. :\

My eyes are deceiving me then :p

It's obvious that the Vita port was compromised in a way but you can't judge until we get to see it first hand. Or some good OS captures.
Well, I think it's clear from photos that Tekken on 3DS is an impressive achievement as it is delivering something that no other games on the platform could.

MK Vita, however, is clearly a huge step down from a number of launch titles for the system.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The cutscenes were never in-engine on consoles (they are Bink videos). They used those cutscenes to hide loading between areas and seamlessly move the story forward.

Is such a thing even possible? Those transitions felt incredibly smooth as if they were in-engine.

tkscz

Who are you kidding, MK still looks much better. Tekken looks good for a portable game too.

I fail to see that in the character models. The Tekken Character models have better textures and shading. The MK characters look flatter in comparison and OH DEAR GOD, Shao Khan's loin cloth at 2:56

dark10x

Is such a thing even possible? Those transitions felt incredibly smooth as if they were in-engine.
Yes. It's very possible.

It was also easy to tell as the videos were poorly compressed (lots of artifacts) and ran at 30 fps while the game was 60. The second it jumped to 60 fps it was clearly realtime.

I fail to see that in the character models. The Tekken Character models have better textures and shading. The MK characters look flatter in comparison and OH DEAR GOD, Shao Khan's loin cloth at 2:56
Are you simply praising Namco's efforts or are you trying to insinuate that the 3DS is somehow comparable to the Vita hardware wise (it's not)?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Indeed. Tekken is extremely impressive and rare for 3DS (every other fighter is 30 fps in 3D) while Mortal Kombat is highly unimpressive for Vita.

I would keep in mind that Tekken on 3DS is kind of a gimmick though. The 60fps 3D doesn't work in multiplayer, and the game is missing most of its stages I thought - not just lacking animation, but the stages themselves are gone. It only uses stages that are much more simplistic in geometry and draw distance.

By comparison, the 3DS Port of DoA is much more impression; 60fps multiplayer / online muliplayer with 3D off, and it has most stages including the bigger and more complex ones.

gogogow

The tekken models has normal maps while the models in MK Vita are flat, all shaders removed.

Yes. It's very possible.

Are you simply praising Namco's efforts or are you trying to insinuate that the 3DS is somehow comparable to the Vita hardware wise (it's not)?
He's saying the Tekken models are better looking, which they are. Don't be so sensitive. Everyone knows the Vita has more powerful hardware, but doesn't mean it will automatically tranlsate to better graphics. Just like 3DS, while having weaker hardware, doesn't mean it can't have great looking games.

MisterHero

I would keep in mind that Tekken on 3DS is kind of a gimmick though. The 60fps 3D doesn't work in multiplayer, and the game is missing most of its stages I thought - not just lacking animation, but the stages themselves are gone. It only uses stages that are much more simplistic in geometry and draw distance.

By comparison, the 3DS Port of DoA is much more impression; 60fps multiplayer / online muliplayer with 3D off, and it has most stages including the bigger and more complex ones.
You can't even customize your characters in Tekken, like the other recent Tekkens. Booooo.

salpa

Banned
lol @ people using off-screen footage to make the game look decent.

Off-screen footage of nearly every game makes it look multiple magnitudes better.

No one would be in here making these kinds of arguments if this was a 3DS game. People would say "lol jaggies" and leave.

dark10x

Off-screen footage of nearly every game makes it look multiple magnitudes better.

No one would be in here making these kinds of arguments if this was a 3DS game. People would say "lol jaggies" and leave.
It looks like an average 3DS title, basically, so you're right. It's highly underwhelming for Vita.

I was wondering why screens were unavailable until now but I can understand why after seeing them.

Khezu

Its a huge downgrade from the console versions, had to sacrifice way to much get to 60FPS. I don't think it was a lazy port, they were some of the first devs to have the dev kits and they seemed to really be into the system.

They need to either make there own engine that is actually suited for fighting games and consoles, or actually start developing PC versions of there games.

Not buying this. After playing UMVSC3 on my brother´s Vita last week, and see those screens. Its a no-brainer. I mean, I love MK9, love the Vita but those screens are painfull. Pretty dissapointed :/

tkscz

Yes. It's very possible.

It was also easy to tell as the videos were poorly compressed (lots of artifacts) and ran at 30 fps while the game was 60. The second it jumped to 60 fps it was clearly realtime.

I'm praising Namco's efforts.

While the game is good, it does have that feel of lazily made. The backgrounds could be much better, but amount of countent doesn't really have an effect on the FPS, but more on the Cart they would have to use (think they used the 1 GB cart IIRC).

Because we do expect more out of the Vita than 3DS.

RoyalFool

Banned
As much as I like the screenshot function, it's doing Sony more harm than good unless they up the quality or change to a lossless format. Game looks dire, but I wouldn't be surprised if it looks much nicer in the flesh.

My biggest gripe would be using UE for a beat-em-up, sure it's portable but out of all the genres still around, fighting games are probably the easiest to write dedicated engines for and benefit the most (visually and timings wise) from having a completely bespoke engine under the hood.

VanWinkle

That also depends on the dpi of your screen, so people can't really make a 5" screenshot which will be 5" on every monitor. Either way the graphics are p*** poor and even stretched 3DS shots are almost comparable.

(3DS resolution in 3D would actually be 800x240, not 400x240, but screens I stretched were 400x240)

t6I9F.jpg

nM5D8.jpg

Now THAT is quite sad. The geometry on the character model definitely looks better on Tekken. The image is even stretched out majorly and it still looks practically as good!

gogogow

As much as I like the screenshot function, it's doing Sony more harm than good unless they up the quality or change to a lossless format. Game looks dire, but I wouldn't be surprised if it looks much nicer in the flesh.

My biggest gripe would be using UE for a beat-em-up, sure it's portable but out of all the genres still around, fighting games are probably the easiest to write dedicated engines for and benefit the most (visually and timings wise) from having a completely bespoke engine under the hood.

A lossless format won't magically give you better models, textures and shaders. I expected the graphics to be closer to the console versions if they are going to sacrifice the resolution.

salpa

Banned
Because we do expect more out of the Vita than 3DS.

This is bad for anything after the PS2.

3DS can do better than this. I have not played a single game on the system that does not blow this away (KI: Uprising, MK7, 3DLand, Pirates of the Caribbean, RE:Revelations, Abyss, DoA, Tekken, SF4).

Pushmo has more complex shaders going on than this, and it's an e-Shop title.

BurntPork

Banned
Much better quality video. And while the game still looks ok, it's not that good for a vita game, and still is under THIS

That makes the game look worse somehow. ?_?

Off screen videos are misleading. And the cutscenes are videos.

GT PSP looked like GT4 watching E3 showfloor videos and then when I got to play the game there was an obvious downgrade.

True, but these screenshot have to be horribly misleading as well. There's no way UE3 has this much trouble on Vita. I mean, it's obviously going to look worse than the console version, but this?

OverHeat

« generous god »
Why the huge hit in textures? The Vita has more memory than the 360 and PS3. :

Well, I think it's clear from photos that Tekken on 3DS is an impressive achievement as it is delivering something that no other games on the platform could.

MK Vita, however, is clearly a huge step down from a number of launch titles for the system.

I dont know why but every 3d vita games as lower res texture then PS3 games.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
That also depends on the dpi of your screen, so people can't really make a 5" screenshot which will be 5" on every monitor. Either way the graphics are piss poor and even stretched 3DS shots are almost comparable.

(3DS resolution in 3D would actually be 800x240, not 400x240, but screens I stretched were 400x240)

t6I9F.jpg

nM5D8.jpg

The screenshots don't show how simplistic/empty Tekken 3D's backgrounds are and the missing details on the character models. The PSP Tekken 6 actually looks more impressive overall.

MK looks way better than Tekken does in motion. And I'm sure MK is going to play much, much better online...not that it's hard to top Tekken 3D's awful online system.

tkscz

This is bad for anything after the PS2.

3DS can do better than this. I have not played a single game on the system that does not blow this away (KI: Uprising, MK7, 3DLand, Pirates of the Caribbean, RE:Revelations, Abyss, DoA, Tekken, SF4).

Pushmo has more complex shaders going on than this, and it's an e-Shop title.

Not what I meant. What I mean, is that naturally, we expect more out of the PSV than the 3DS. Oh, those of us who realize how good OpenGL ES 1.1 can be, expect more out of the 3DS than what we're getting, but we still expect more out of the PSV.

Welcome to UE3 on Vita.

Anyway, this sure looks a lot better eh?

T3D_18.jpg

Screenshot straight from Nintendo.

SFxTekken and MvsC3 on Vita show that this is most likely UE3's fault being shit for performance and 60FPS specially, on Vita. Also see that video.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow, that video with Johnny Cage looks terrible... This is quite depressing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Doesn't Vita have a dedicated 128mb of video ram in addition to 512m of primary ram?

Technically more ram than PS3?

def sim

It's so weird seeing people trying to defend this. The Vita is capable of better; stop being silly and admit this is a lazy port.

Spiegel

Doesn't Vita have a dedicated 128mb of video ram in addition to 512m of primary ram?

Technically more ram than PS3?

Vita 512MB (256MB reseved for the OS) + 128MB VRAM

PS3 256MB RAM (?? reserved for the OS) + 256MB VRAM

+ the lower Vita resolution

Yeah, those textures are unacceptable

Top Bottom