• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YOLO, coming to a dictionary near you soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Origin of YOLO: Random drunk 14 year old white male

Vyroxis

Banned
Quick, someone call the Empire and tell them we're the hidden rebel base. Challange the Borg to an old timey boxing match. Let the Go'uld know we're better then they are. Inform the Shadows that they are self entitled alien emo boomers and should just die off already. Anything. We don't deserve to live anymore.

Nibel

Well that's the motto, people!

iflhOjh1aug01.gif

Mudkips

Banned
I like how prescriptivists still think what they do matters.

Hint: those all are already words.

Hint: They are not words (except for the already-existing "creeping" and perhaps "cray").

Words need to have a standard definition across the language, not be acronyms, and not be fucking retarded.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
creeping, cray, legbomb, yolo, mantyhose, superphone, sweatworking, Tebowing, tweeps and twitlit
I don't see why any of these words or abbreviations or acronyms would be added to a dictionary. They'll mostly be forgotten in a few months or a year, I hope.

I saw this 12 year old kid in the train last week with this gigantic pixel art chain around his neck which just straight up said "YOLO" on it. Didn't think anyone would go so far with it :/

Zeth

Wow, for a while I was associating YOLO with the Hispanic term CHOLO. Was extremely confused until I consulted Urban Dictionary.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Creeping and Tweeps are the only decent two.

YOLO is an abbreviation. I dunno why it needs to go into a dictionary.

And I keep passing a "Ted Yoho" sign on the way to work and always read it as "Ted YOLO" fucking GAF. :|

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was going to ask what's already been asked...YOLO is an acronym. I don't feel like it deserves a spot. On top of that, it's a "word of the month" sort of thing, just like Tebowing (which nobody says anymore).

Bad idea.

Cray is slang for crazy, and people who use it are forcing it. I've never found reason to use cray vs crazy. Ever.

The rest of the words are just -_-

E: Creeping is the ONLY word on that list I've used. The rest I have either never heard of (a majority of them) or simply don't belong (see above).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
E: Creeping is the ONLY word on that list I've used. The rest I have either never heard of (a majority of them) or simply don't belong (see above).

Tweep = Twitter peep/AKA: followers. It's generally used by celebrities. "Alright, tweeps: What outfit should I wear to the [insert event here]" type of thing.

I was going to ask what's already been asked...YOLO is an acronym. I don't feel like it deserves a spot. On top of that, it's a "word of the month" sort of thing, just like Tebowing (which nobody says anymore).

Bad idea.

Cray is slang for crazy, and people who use it are forcing it. I've never found reason to use cray vs crazy. Ever.

The rest of the words are just -_-

so Scuba and Sonar shouldn't be in a dictionary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom