• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

On Saturday, Ryan Perez of Destructoid posted the following Tweets on his account (@PissedOffRyno):

Does Felicia Day matter at all? I mean does she actually contribute anything useful to this industry, besides retaining a geek persona?

@feliciaday, I keep seeing everywhere. Question: Do you matter at all? Do you even provide anything useful to gaming, besides “personality?

Could you be considered nothing more than a glorified booth babe? You don’t seem to add anything creative to the medium.

The Tweets didn't seem to be inspired by a certain incident. Day never responded to them publicly.

On Saturday night, the official Destructoid Editors account (@Destructoid) posted the following in response to Perez:

We would like to apologize re: comments made by one of our contributors toward @feliciaday and state publicly @Dtoid does not share them.

We have great respect for the contributions @feliciaday has made both to the culture and business of games and online entertainment.

We hope that @feliciaday and her fans will be understanding. Thank you.

And then 30 minutes ago, they dropped the bomb on Perez officially:

Destructoid has ended its relationship with Ryan Perez, effective immediately. We again apologize to @feliciaday and all others concerned.

Perez responded to his firing with the following:

I should have been smarter and just made a comment against God or the Catholic Church…

It's since become a very hot topic on social media. As of this posting, "Destructoid" is the #4 worldwide trend.

What does Gaf think?

EDIT 1: Perez apologized to Day. Day accepted his apology.

EDIT 2: Perez is now shit talking Wil Wheaton.

@wilw I'm small-time. Nobody should care about what I say. Go fuck yourself, you opportunistic puddle of miscarriage soup.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like another socially awkward and immature man child to me. Plenty of those in gaming journalism to go around.

Mechazawa

There's a time and a place, but a snarky, vague, out of the blue "tweet" probably isn't it.

I'm also not entirely sure the guy getting fired is capable of handling that sort of discussion either.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Non-news.

Also, @PissedOffRyno made the remarks last night, not today.

H2NkM.jpg

Ken

What is the secret to not getting fired from Destructiod?

I should have been smarter and just made a comment against God or the Catholic Church…

Smarter thing would have been to make no comment at all.

In all honesty, she really is just that. But then again, he doesn't really add anything either. The comment was completely out of place, he should of just kept it to himself.

If it was a man he made a comment about, I'm sure he wouldn't of been fired though, there's so much bad media right now about anything involving a woman on the internet/games, it really would of looked bad for destructoid, so I kind of agree with the decision.

DTKT

To be honest, he could have written something about the "cult of personalities" in the videogame industry and it would have been a bit better.

It doesn't help that his twitter comment comes off as super aggressive and hostile. Twitter has been a mess since day 1 for PR.

Not that his tweets weren't out of line but doesn't anyone else find it weird that Destructoid fired this guy when they keep Jim Sterling employed despite the fact he's said a bunch of misogynistic stuff on twitter in the past?

That's because Sterling is supposed to be "satire". So he can say whatever he wants! He seems like a pretty despicable human being but that's how he built his internet persona.

Forever

Banned
Not that his tweets weren't out of line but doesn't anyone else find it weird that Destructoid fired this guy when they keep Jim Sterling employed despite the fact he's said a bunch of misogynistic stuff on twitter in the past?

I don't think the problem is that Felicia Day is a woman.

antonz

He kinda set off a shitstorm that blew up large. Whitta,Wil Wheaton etc were on fire. They start talking and it spreads to millions rather fast

Sounds like another socially awkward and immature man child to me. Plenty of those in gaming journalism to go around.

First post strikes again.

I wanted to go into the enthusiast press but then I met them.

Also, I find Felicia Day oddly attractive.

Neiteio

I seem to vaguely recall something about Jim Sterling making sexist/bigoted remarks that upset the lesbian creator of The Mighty Jill Off, and all of his fans piling on her and her girlfriend, but Sterling was never reprimanded for it... No?

tearsofash

I can understand why'd ask that. Maybe I don't understand the framing of his question. However, the 'booth babe' remark is way off base. She's a nerd, and a fan. Like the rest of us. She just so happens to be popular and an actress and pops up in places often. Asking what she 'adds' is kind of weird. What do any of us add?

Felicia Day has done voice acting in several games (New Vegas, Dragon Age 2 DLC, Guild Wars 2), so his statement is in so far incorrect that she has in fact made some actual contributions to gaming.

antonz

I can understand why'd ask that. Maybe I don't understand the framing of his question. However, the 'booth babe' remark is way off base. She's a nerd, and a fan. Like the rest of us. She just so happens to be popular and an actress and pops up in places often. Asking what she 'adds' is kind of weird. What do any of us add?

Its like Microsoft guy high on his horse asking a gaffer whats his contribution in life as if xbox is some life altering miracle of god

corn_fest

Even if all she did was a few voice acting roles and a promotional miniseries (which is what I gather from her Wikipedia page), she certainly added a lot more to the industry than this "journalist".

Could you be considered nothing more than a glorified booth babe? You don’t seem to add anything creative to the medium.
He was fine until the 3rd tweet when it became evident he was hating on her without actually bothering to Google who she is.
Dude is a moron.

If it was a man he made a comment about, I'm sure he wouldn't of been fired though, there's so much bad media right now about anything involving a woman on the internet/games, it really would of looked bad for destructoid, so I kind of agree with the decision.

He was fired because Day is a respected member of the gaming community, not because she is a women. Destructoid don't want to piss her or her fans off. Very simple. They are a business.

zroid

Banned
It's since become a very hot topic on social media. As of this posting, "Destructoid" is the #4 worldwide trend.

FYI, Twitter's default trend tracking behaviour is now "tailored to your own interests". So it's definitely not trending worldwide in general right now.

Dimorphic

If the tweet was actually in relation to something and not out of the blue we may not even be talking about this. Considering how random it was he deserves what he gets.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I seem to vaguely recall something about Jim Sterling making sexist/bigoted remarks that upset the lesbian creator of The Mighty Jill Off, and all of his fans piling on her and her girlfriend, but Sterling was never reprimanded for it... No?

Felicia Day fans spammed Dtoid with complaints. I don't think Anna Anthropy or whoever could count on the same level of support, even though Sterling's comments were completely reprehensible and a million times worse than this guy's.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Felicia Day has done voice acting in several games (New Vegas, Dragon Age 2 DLC, Guild Wars 2), so his statement is in so far incorrect that she has in fact made some actual contributions to gaming.

I wouldn't consider those 'contributions'. Regardless of the quality of her voice acting, she got those roles because the devs/pubs knew people would buy it because she was in it.

Contributing would be linking to indie games that people might not know about, letting your fans know about a company going under or that Grant Kirkhope needs a job. I don't know if she does any of this as I don't follow her, and she's not obliged to do it, but I would say that her getting picked up to do voice acting based on her popularity is not contributing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well, that was douchey. Ironic that this guy is asking her what she contributes.

I'm positive 99% of people don't even know who this guy is. I don't. And he hardly has any Twitter followers (he had 39 before this has started going viral). I'm almost convinced this guy is new to Twitter (though his dated tweets suggest he's not)

ezekial45

Banned
Supposedly, this is the first person that was ever fired from Destructoid. They're all pretty chill people, and I'm sorry to see a situation like this happen.

BiggNife

This is what I was talking about in my last post

The incident is recorded here in Anna Antropy's blog, for those who didn't see my edit

Top Bottom