• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Custom Tile Art Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

ibvXjJQ3s89lPq.png

ibnW0rCxkd9oUW.png

Get the newest version of OblyTile here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1899865

ob78lv4.png

1. Give the tile a title, this is used in start screen searches. If you want to keep the tile clean you can check "Hide Name" to not display the title on the start screen.

2. Add the path to the exe of the program you are creating a tile for. Arguments can be added for doing this such as opening Steam in Big Picture Mode by adding the argument "-bigpicture"
Alternatively, you can paste any path into the program field, such as "http://www.neogaf.com/" and it will open up in your default browser (desktop browsers only), or you can link to a local file and it will open in the program associated with that filetype, or enter the path to a drive/folder and it will open in explorer.

3. Choose the tile image. You do not need to keep the tile at this location, it is copied to a folder in C:\Program Files\OblyTile\
The rest of the fields for tile sizes will automatically be populated with the main tile image unless you input a specific image for that size.

4. Background colors are used when tile art has any transparency, this can be set to any color by using the samples or the color picker.

5. Click "Save Tile" and it is added to the end of your Start Screen. Then just position it wherever you want by clicking and dragging it.

6. If you want to change a tile after creating it, open obly tile, select it from the list of created tiles, edit any of the options, save, and reposition it.

To arrange tiles in to groups, drag a tile into an empty space beside an existing group until you see a faint bar appear. Drop the tile on the bar and it will form a new group you can add more tiles to. To name groups, zoom out (ctrl scroll down, ctrl -, or click the icon in the bottom right of the start screen.) Right click on an existing group and click the name group icon in the bottom left of the screen.

There have been some instances of tile art disappearing. If this happens, re-open OblyTile and let it sit for a few seconds, or press the refresh button, to allow it to rebuild the tile cache.

inGzvt85yBDTU.png

Tiles must be a minimum of a 150x150 .png (recommend 300x300 to increase compatibility with different scenarios). W8 search and start screen zoom uses a separate icon, so if you want a different crop of the icon or something else to appear in searches include an additional 30x30 .png, otherwise the large tile can be used for this and is re-sized automatically.
Any graphic can be used to fill that square, or you can make use of transparency to allow the user to customize it on their own colors. A title can be set on tiles by the user, so you can design tiles around there being a user defined title, a logo on the art, or no branding at all.

I will keep the post updated with tiles for as long as I can, to help people easily find what they are looking for. For your tiles to be added they need to follow this format, to keep the process of organizing them efficient

• Title each tile set in your post so that people can easily tell what they're looking at.
  • Include, in code tags, the title of each tile set, linked to your post, and your name in parenthesis.
  • Multiple tile sets can be included in each post, just include redundant links to your posts with the title of each set.
  • If a tile is intended to be used for a specific size please not it with, for example, "- wide".

Code format; please copy and paste everything inside the code tags and edit it to include your information (remove the * from the code tags)
Code:
[CODE*][url~="url of your post here"]title of the tile set[/url] (your username)[/CODE*]

Example Post:
MrBig said:
Dark Souls
icte8rl2QPhak.png
ibrLkDuEHch1Qa.png
iWh4xSjd6SHMW.png

Halo 2
iwu4b5VmUnHEd.png
iSATKi88v0AfK.png

Planetside 2
iAGMbX0C9fvZK.png
ituQBzGscAwJ.png
planetside22gunq.png

Code:
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43768865&postcount=1"]Dark Souls[/url] (MrBig)
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43768865&postcount=1"]Halo 2[/url] (MrBig)
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43768865&postcount=1"]Planetside 2[/url] (MrBig)

I will continue to update the OP for as long as people continue to post in this format

MrBig

Lists are in alphabetical order by set title. CTRL+F to find a specific tile set. If you do not find what you are looking for, make a request or make it yourself and post it in the thread following the guidelines above.

Notes:
Many Metro-style icons for common things can be found in this pack.
Some application tiles have transparent backgrounds - use OblyTile to set a custom background color for these tile sets.

ieO0bTtZ2dnr4.png

Age of Conan (derFeef)
Airmech (Jzero)
Alice: Madness Returns (Mangotron)
Assassin's Creed 3 (MrBig)
Assassin's Creed III (Radec)
Assassin's Creed 3 (CryptiK)
Battlefield 3 (Mangotron)
Battlefield 3 (CryptiK)
Battlefield 3 (Radec)
Bioshock (Quick)
Bioshock Infinite (derFeef)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (CryptiK)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Radec)
Counter Strike GO (CryptiK)
Darksiders (MrBig)
Darksiders 2 (MrBig)
Dark Souls (MrBig)
Dark Souls (VindictiveGnome)
DayZ (Mangotron)
DayZ (CryptiK)
Dead Space 2 (Jzero)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (MrBig)
Diablo 3 (Jzero)
Diablo III (Radec)
Dishonored (MrBig)
Dishonored (Radec)
Dota 2 (CryptiK)
DOTA2 (Radec)
Fallout 3 (Quick)
Fallout: New Vegas (Quick)
Far Cry 3 (Radec)
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (derFeef)
FIFA (CryptiK)
Guild Wars 2 (Divvy)
Guild Wars 2 (MrBig)
Halo (MrBig)
Halo - wide (MrBig)
Halo 2 (MrBig)
Hawken (MrBig)
Hitman: Absolution (derFeef)
Hitman Absolution (Radec)
Hotline Miami (derFeef)
Mark of the Ninja (VindictiveGnome)
Mass Effect (Quick)
Mass Effect 2 (Quick)
Mass Effect 3 (Quick)
Metro 2033 (MrBig)
Mirror's Edge (MrBig)
Natural Selection 2 (tci)
Natural Selection 2 (CryptiK)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (CryptiK)
Planetside (MrBig)
Planetside 2 (MrBig)
Planetside 2 - wide (MrBig)
Portal (MrBig)
Portal 2 (MrBig)
Project Cars (VindictiveGnome)
Rage (MrBig)
Rage (xJavontax)
Sleeping Dogs (MrBig)
Sonic Adventure (Rlan)
Sonic CD (Rlan)
Sonic Generations (Rlan)
Starcraft 2 (Jzero)
Star Citizen - wide (MrBig)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (Quick)
Super Meat Boy (Jzero)
Tales of Monkey Island 2: Special Edition (Quick)
The Cave (Quick)
The Elder scrolls IV: Oblivion (MrBig)
The Elder scrolls V: Skyrim (MrBig)
The Secret World (derFeef)
The Walking Dead (MrBig)
The Witcher II (MrBig)
Torchlight (Jzero)
Torchlight 2 (Jzero)
Warframe (MrBig)
WarZ (CryptiK)
World of Warcraft (Jzero)
World of Warcraft: Mist of Pandaria (Radec)
XCOM (derFeef)
XCOM (CryptiK)

iuhB2fRhFJY1O.png

3ds Max (MrBig)
7-Zip (Jzero)
Ableton Live (StudioTan)
Adobe CS4 (Jzero)
Adobe CS6 (Jzero)
Adobe CS (scotcheggz)
Adobe CS (MrBig)
Alchemy (MrBig)
AMD Catalyst (Jzero)
BitComet (Jzero)
Canon EOS Utility (Jzero)
Chrome (MrBig)
Chrome (Quick)
CPU-Z (Jzero)
Cubase (StudioTan)
Daemon Tools Lite (Jzero)
Dolphin (Jzero)
Dropbox(lexi)
Dxtory (Nymerio)
EpGuides Watcher (jakeellis01)
ePSXe (Jzero)
FileZilla (tci)
Firefox (MrBig)
Firefox (Quick)
Foobar (MrBig)
Fraps (MrBig)
Fraps (Nymerio)
Game Save Manager (3chopl0x)
GIMP (billsmugs)
GGPO (MrBig)
GnuCash (Quick)
Handbrake (Jzero)
HeidiSQL (Nymerio)
Hex Chat / XChat (MrBig)
Inkscape (billsmugs)
Instagram (jakeellis01)
iTunes (Quick)
Jasc Animation Studio (MrBig)
KeePass (derFeef)
Maya (Quick)
Maya (StudioTan)
Media Player Classic (3chopl0x)
MSI Afterburner (Jzero)
MSI Afterburner Alternative (nazfalas)
Mudbox (StudioTan)
Mumble (CryptiK)
nullDC (Jzero)
NVIDIA Inspector (MrBig)
Nvidia Inspector (3chopl0x)
Office 2013 (Jzero)
Origin (Quick)
Paint (billsmugs)
PCSX2 (Jzero)
PS3 Media Server (jakeellis01)
PS3 Media Server (Quick)
PS Vita Content Manager (Quick)
Roccat Driver (nazfalas)
Spotify (Jzero)
Sony Acid Pro (StudioTan)
Spotflux (3chopl0x)
Steam (Quick)
Steam (MrBig)
Steam (jakeellis01)
Supercade (MrBig)
Teamspeak3 (Jzero)
uTorrent (Quick)
Vim (Nymerio)
Visual Studio 2012 (Jzero)
VLC (scotcheggz)
VLC (Quick)
Wamp Server (Nymerio)
Winamp (jakeellis01)
Windows Media Player (jakeellis01)
XBMC (Quick)
Zbrush (StudioTan)
Zune (MrBig)

iWPwDcfzWBxI4.png

BBC (scotcheggz)
Facebook (Quick)
Facebook (jakeellis01)
Gmail (jakeellis01)
Google Drive (MrBig)
Google Drive (jakeellis01)
Google Music (jakeellis01)
Google+ (jakeellis01)
Grooveshark
Hulu (Quick)
Hulu (MrBig)
NeoGAF (MrBig)
Pandora (Quick)
Pulse (Jzero)
Rdio (Quick)
Twitter (Quick)
Youtube (jakeellis01)

ilIE5esCMfkdu.png

Restart (MrBig)
Shutdown (MrBig)

MrBig

Halo: Combat Evolved
i765kBvOqSVBf.png

The Walking Dead
iRwsuklxBVUCe.png

Rage
ibm3S0goKBd3FU.png

Planetside
iVlvhbXvl6li9.png

Mirror's Edge
ibfL9ytjgWBwIB.png

Hawken
ibfcOVN2RTE1iA.png

Metro 2033
ibqUXaiCknpwQu.png

Dishonored
ipW4tlwqSbxek.png

Warframe
itfkpWL7W0Kg6.png

Assassin's Creed 3
ibjHJWZhH79Awb.png

Epic Drop

Cool thread! I didn't know this was possible. Subbing so that I can come back and get some sweet tiles once I upgrade to W8!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Pretty Cool stuff. Would be nice if Windows could integrate this for HTPC Game playing like Steam has........ but I doubt it.

Can you navigate Metro with a 360 controller?

Awesome thread!
Really gonna be following this hard

Anyone know if there's a good ESPN icon out there?
I think I'm gonna take a stab at making an iFanboy icon too, since it's a smaller website and i'm not sure anyone has one yet

The old Windows Media Center remotes work. You only need to remap the Media Center button as start button, to bring up the start screen again.

oURCr.jpg

You got the arrow buttons (arrow keys), OK (enter) and the back button (return).

I'm curious, does the Xbox 360 media remote work with W8 too? Mine is still sealed (got it with a bundle)

Xbox360UniversalRemote.jpg

kinggroin

Banned
No controller navigation is stupid of the highest order.

That said, this thread is something special. Can't wait to get to the PC and start customizing my categories.

Zaptruder

Banned
Too lazy to tile this manually.

What we need is some sort of plug-in that can automatically search a user edited database and download the relevant graphics.

Like XBMC and its various plug-ins.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The old Windows Media Center remotes work. You only need to remap the Media Center button as start button, to bring up the start screen again.

oURCr.jpg

You got the arrow buttons (arrow keys), OK (enter) and the back button (return).
even older ones work too.

HtgvJ.png

i might buy another one though, i want more buttons.

I reprogamed the green button to windows key, then those other 4 buttons, dvd etc to access the charms bar, taskswitcher, app bar and tab. Can get around the applications decently. Mostly just use xbmc and hulu desktop though. Start screen (and a mapped win key) makes it very easy to switch between them.

Tattooth

Someone on GAF made a program that allows the xbox controller to open and use the start screen. I can't remember who it was, but I am sure some will.

Also, OblyTile seems to have stopped working for me.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
You can't make sub start screens can you? Like have a tile for RPGS, and when you click the start screen is filled with my rpg icons?

MrBig

You can't make sub start screens can you? Like have a tile for RPGS, and when you click the start screen is filled with my rpg icons?

No, but you can have a group labeled "RPGs". There is no limit to how far the start menu extends; if you have a lot of icons and they're labeled/grouped you can use the zoom view (bottom right, or ctrl+mouse wheel down) and click on the group you want and jump to it.

Here is my folder of tiles. Mostly program/app tiles, with Mass Effect tiles for gaming. I'll include more gaming ones and post 'em here.

Cool, put them all into a post and I'll add them to the list

scotcheggz

Here's a few popular ones I made the other night:

Adobe suite:

i0QCv0JY001cy.png
iAlyPe2HyaUcw.png

ibeWXGEATfBLQ0.png
iht7qQFDxHOnF.png

iNr1cQ5w9YKPU.png
i3oqp2BM8DDIX.png

iI3rJGpvHPHMF.png
ienVNqvl9cYl9.png

VLC:

i4MZw4td4tnUz.png

BBC:

io7ipZNTYXghn.png
ibt5jVmRo5ctqp.png

I'm sorely thinkging of just making all my metro tiles one or two colours, it's starting to look far too messy!

MrBig

I'm sorely thinkging of just making all my metro tiles one or two colours, it's starting to look far too messy!

Yeah, in my own set-up I'm doing white icons only for applications, with some BG color set in oblytile

For those of you not using the NeoGAF Pro Dark theme, these will be hard to see. They're flat white versions of the program icons, use OblyTile to set the background color - example

Hex Chat / XChat
iRCi5SST79mtM.png

Zune
iFE0bStnJ5SZo.png

Chrome
iOXUEhK1Htz4P.png

Firefox
iwDuZFe6f5toJ.png

Foobar
iOVzjeplZG0CF.png

Alchemy
ih61yC5AMQL3Q.png

Compressed File (Winzip/WinRAR)
ijx1qMj8SyVJI.png

Fraps
ibui1EJwrVOU20.png

Mangotron

I "made" these (just cut them down from other pics) if anyone wants to partake.

Also how do you get sub headings like Main and Games??

If you haven't figured it out yet, click the minus button in the lower right (so the groups minimize) and then right click the groups. A little bar should come up with a "name group" button on it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Great thread! Subscribed.

MrBig

I added most of the posts to the list, but please use the format in the OP in the future, and label each set of tiles. I don't know what everything is and I can't spend that much of my time making a link to every post that will be in this thread myself :(

Jzero

Here's mine:

Code:
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43779437&postcount=48"]Super Meat Boy[/url] (Jzero)
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43779437&postcount=48"]Torchlight[/url] (Jzero) 
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43779437&postcount=48"]Torchlight 2[/url] (Jzero)
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43779437&postcount=48"]Airmech[/url] (Jzero)

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Pretty Cool stuff. Would be nice if Windows could integrate this for HTPC Game playing like Steam has........ but I doubt it.

Can you navigate Metro with a 360 controller?

I started working on a controller profile to use with Pinnacle Game Profiler for anyone that uses it. If anyone is interested, or know someone else already working on one that I can try out, let me know.

On topic: this is awesome. Thanks to everyone involved.

If I could make a request: a spiffy tile for launching XBMC? I can't be the only one.

Quick

Banned
Facebook
ibqHadbJ3lWBRO.png

Twitter
ijQDLJd8wEeGR.png
iQ19jXL4ABs2c.png

Hulu
ikYAq2yu03RHn.png
ibrxCLShU2EoeC.png

iDONs1ehgwJMl.png
iszG7Pqb0Gf6k.png

VLC
ijeWdzy5vKjq2.png

Code:
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43779890&postcount=50"]Facebook[/url] (Quick)
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43779890&postcount=50"]Twitter[/url] (Quick)
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43779890&postcount=50"]Hulu[/url] (Quick)
[url~="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43779890&postcount=50"]VLC Player[/url] (Quick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom