• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grimoire Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, a game in development for 20 years, releases

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Skittles

That feature list sounds exactly like what happens when you're a one man dev team with no one to tell you to stop and ship the game.

Javier23

Banned
People have been joking about this game never releasing since the 2000s, just do some research. It's had its release date pushed back for literally over two decades.

It also has a bit of infamy on GAF as they tried to sue GAF back in 2010 for Dudebro II.

Trust me, this game is a damn rabbit hole when you begin to get into it.
Oh, I am perfectly aware. It is precisely because I've known about this piece of vaporware for this long that I know this is not a real piece of software. Watch there be something wrong with the release. Just you wait.

It's only the game releasing now on Steam and making most gaffers aware of it for the first time that people here are giving it any credence. You'll learn to ignore it in due time.

wipeout364

It looked kind of interesting when I saw it pop up on steam. Then I clicked some of the links related to the lawsuit posted above and the guy seems like a total asshole; so not supporting that kind of behavior. Thanks GAF for the heads up.

Wok

It is discounted. Hmmm...

WYLrOfB.png

Never heard of this.
I'd be down for an oldskool dungeon crawler, but the price is quite steep. Now that wouldn't be too bad if the game is worth it, but from quickly browsing the discussions it seems the game is in an unplayable buggy state:
I'd wait for the game to work before buying it, currently crashes on most actions.
Not able to play due to bugs.
It's also being critiqued, even by dungeon crawler vets, for the lack of a manual or tutorial.

Dusk Golem

Menchi

Trailer was interesting... Then followed the rabbit hole of the Dev and his insanity. He is a homophobic, racist piece of human garbage so as much as the game looks ok, it can piss off.

Kimaka

Only heard about this a couple of months ago and the creator is quite the... character. I'm interested to see what sort of mess Grimoire turns out to be.

It is discounted. Hmmm...

WYLrOfB.png

Better jump on that discount before it's too late!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/650670/announcements/detail/1431434136007141225
I have decided it is just a nice thing to do for people who have been waiting years to play my game if I offered a 10% discount on the game during it's first week. After this ends, I want to assure anyone waiting for the game that Grimoire will never, ever sell at a discount at any time it is on the Steam store ever again. I won't permit it to be sold below it's retail value for any reason. I am too proud of my finished product to permit it to be turned into simply another commodity in a Steam sale. If Valve ever decides that sales of the product no longer justify it having a page then I will move it to another venue - but as the author I will never offer my game at a discount again anywhere. I'm not a corporation that turns out games like sausages and computes their price curves over rates of decay in market value. Grimoire is my unique and proprietary product and I only want to sell it to the most hardcore fans of the genre. I was never targeting the mass market or casual gamers. It is in the first paragraph of the original design document I wrote more than 20 years ago when I was putting a proposal together that described the entire game end-to-end in both story, design and implementation. It was an aristocrat's manifesto when it was written and the language was specifically that of an aristocrat declaring the game was not going to be designed to appeal to the masses. Only fans of the genre.

Ludens

Banned
Only heard about this a couple of months ago and the creator is quite the... character. I'm interested to see what sort of mess Grimoire turns out to be.

Better jump on that discount before it's too late!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/650670/announcements/detail/1431434136007141225

Lol, a text wall for a 10% off and the fact he won't discount the game ever...I guess when he will see his game selling nothing or so, he will backtrack on this as fast as he can.

Trailer was interesting... Then followed the rabbit hole of the Dev and his insanity. He is a homophobic, racist piece of human garbage so as much as the game looks ok, it can piss off.

It's also being critiqued, even by dungeon crawler vets, for the lack of a manual or tutorial.

Want to piss away 20 years of your life's work? Just be this guy.

Wow, this guy sure is something.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
So what you could do is, don't play my game.

Better yet, PM me your real email address and I will lock you out of the digital distribution system so you couldn't buy a copy even if you could come up with the cash, which is unlikely.

If you have the names of your friends or anybody even remotely like you, even people who live near you and may have distant kin relations in your family tree, send me all their email addresses and I will lock them out as well.

Grimoire is not junk and it's not mass market drivel. I don't want just anybody playing it. If I had my way I'd force anybody as part of credit card registration to take an online IQ exam. Anybody scoring less than 120+ would not be able to purchase the game for any reason, period. I'd send their money back. I cringe at the idea of ordinary dolts and Bell Curve average wreckers putting their greasy, stained hands on a keyboard covered with pro-wrestling stickers and playing my game. There's something about it unsettling. It's like if the Mona Lisa was opened to grade school children for scratch'n'sniff. It's horrible to think about.

This is another reason to never release it. I can't control who plays it. I certainly didn't work a decade and a half on the game so the unwashed masses could get hold of it. Wait a second, I'm going to plug the woodchipper back in.

Lanrutcon

Aren't there rules against fake news threads? No way it's out. None. Don't care what Steam says.

...is it buggy?

Atolm

The guy sounds like a pretentious douche. I'm pretty sure he'll be the one that will buy all the game units.

oipic

...is it buggy?

Couldn't possibly be buggy, with Blakemore's coding history and experience; according to his LinkedIn profile, he has:

"...a proven record of writing software that operates 24/7 in hellish surroundings without requiring maintenance, configuration or even a display/input device on computers that cost less than a dollar with no writable storage.

"Anything built by me will cost less than what you spent on lunch per unit and will look like it should be running in the Batcave on ancient web browsers released twenty years ago."

Hektor

Can you make sex in this one like the Witcher

This game isn't for filthy, uneducated, basement dwelling nerds in need of sexual release because they're too ugly to get laid, this game is for the well smelling, smart bourgeoisie who are looking to present their mind only the biggest, most well designed challenge.

Couldn't possibly be buggy, with Blakemore's coding history and experience; according to his LinkedIn profile, he has:

"...a proven record of writing software that operates 24/7 in hellish surroundings without requiring maintenance, configuration or even a display/input device on computers that cost less than a dollar with no writable storage.

"Anything built by me will cost less than what you spent on lunch per unit and will look like it should be running in the Batcave on ancient web browsers released twenty years ago."

This guy's profile sure is something lol:

Most people consider me a polymath who is very strong in a variety of disciplines but a master of none. My strengths lie in a wide range of C# .NET technologies and related technologies, C/C++ coding in highly efficient cross-platform code, web services and microservices functionality, front end Javascript and JQuery frameworks for single page applications, HTML5/CSS design, SQL databases of many flavors, scripting program functionality and general problem solving applied to all kinds of different situations. I don't claim to be a lateral thinker to impress girls - I was born that way. It's not just an idle self-promotional gimmick with me.

Specialize in building dirt-cheap embedded solutions that outperform systems costing a thousand times more that are designed to run for eternity on low power in terrible conditions and never fail.

All my applications will run in a distributed environment with a fast network right through nuclear war, solar flares, earthquakes, moisture, heat, cold and neglect until they literally rust apart.

I have a proven record of writing software that operates 24/7 in hellish surroundings without requiring maintenance, configuration or even a display/input device on computers that cost less than a dollar with no writable storage. Anything built by me will cost less than what you spent on lunch per unit and will look like it should be running in the Batcave on ancient web browsers released twenty years ago.

I have been working on a daily basis on my web server technology for over 20 years. The full featured server fits on a floppy disk and executes on any OS because I use ANSI C with old cross-platform standards like Berkeley Sockets, SQL and Lua script compiled for any environment.

My architecture is running on 2 mining sites, an industrial warehouse and my 1st installation has been running 5+ years unattended with zero maintenance. I have clients describing my web server as being "supernaturally" robust under real world demands.

Ventara

Holy hell, I don't know anything about this game prior to this, but those dev quotes are pure gold. He has to be joking, right?

Labadal

The game isn't buggy. Even if I'm reading about crashes, crashes when you double click portraits and many other issues. It's not the game's fault. Our computers can't handle the complex awesomeness of this masterpiece.

The game isn't buggy. Even if I'm reading about crashes, crashes when you double click portraits and many other issues. It's not the game's fault. Our computers can't handle the complex awesomeness of this masterpiece.

He obviously coded it to crash with double clicks to teach fools to only click once! Hmph.

Wok

Holy hell, I don't know anything about this game prior to this, but those dev quotes are pure gold. He has to be joking, right?

I read in a French magazine, but I don't know if it is true, that the dev has been running a blog about conspiracy theories for years. So, either he is the king of sarcasm, or he is really crazy.

BNmc7RK.png

And the profile of the blogger indicates:

aBQZTyf.png
HO7fTrH.png

Top Bottom