• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subway to stop putting a chemical used in rubber into Its bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-02-06/subway-removing-rubber-chemical-from-bread

That footlong loaf baking in your local Subway’s oven could contain an ingredient called azodicarbonamide. It’s an additive the U.S. Food and Drug Administration permits for use in restricted amounts to strengthen dough and to increase the shelf life of bread, and as a bleaching ingredient in cereal flour—it also happens to be used in plastics and rubber. After a petition launched this week, the ubiquitous sandwich chain announced on Wednesday that it will stop using the additive, though it did not say when.

Azodicarbonamide—banned from use in food in Europe and Australia—is used in the U.S. in Subway’s 9-grain wheat bread, Italian bread, and sourdough bread. In Canada it’s in deli-style rolls and Italian bread. It can also be found in buns at other restaurant chains and in some grocery aisle breads.

Chatter about the use of the additive in food grew in 2011. This week, FoodBabe.com blogger Vani Hari started a petition asking Subway to remove azodicarbonamide from its breads; so far, Hari’s garnered more than 66,000 signatures. The company said it was working on reformulating the recipe before the petition was launched, reported the Associated Press.

Two suspicious chemicals form when bread with azodicarbonamide is baked, according to nonprofit advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest: urethane, a recognized carcinogen, and semicarbazide, which causes cancers of the lung and blood vessels in mice, but poses a negligible risk to humans. In a statement on Tuesday, the organization urged the FDA to consider banning the ingredient.

In its industrial form for use in plastic and rubber, azodicarbonamide is associated with asthma and other allergic reactions.

“We are already in the process of removing azodicarbonamide as part of our bread improvement efforts despite the fact that it is a USDA and FDA approved ingredient. The complete conversion to have this product out of the bread will be done soon,” Subway said in an e-mailed statement.

Mmmm...rubber!

8DF0VFN.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
The "used in X" line is so fucking bullshit and sensational. If you didn't eat anything that contained stuff used in anything other than food you'd pretty much go hungry.

Cyan

Banned
The "used in X" line is so fucking bullshit and sensational. If you didn't eat anything that contained stuff used in anything other than food you'd pretty much go hungry.

Yeah, "chemical used in rubber" tells me basically nothing.

If there's some real reason it's dangerous or harmful, I'd prefer to hear that rather than "but it's used in xyz!" From the article it sounds like there might be, but it's kind buried while "used in scary things" gets the lede.

Konka

Banned

"McDonalds to remove ingredient from their buns used to make concrete
water
"

Phoenix

Why is the US normally one of the last developed countries to stop using an additive that has been banned by other countries?

KHarvey16

Why is the US normally one of the last developed countries to stop using an additive that has been banned by other countries?

There are likely many answers to this question. I have a feeling you assume the US is wrong each time, which would require justification.

Dryk

Remember kids, don't inhale fresh dough.

When azodicarbonamide reacts with flour, it behaves as a hydrogen
acceptor and it is rapidly and completely converted into biurea, which
is stable under baking conditions. Reaction between azodicarbonamide
and flour only occurs on wetting. Forty-five minutes after treatment
of a flour with 8.25 ppm of azodicarbonamide, less than 0.1 ppm of
azodicarbonamide could be detected in the dough.
When 14C-labelled
azodicarbonamide was used for breadmaking, the activity remained in
the bread and there was no liberation of labelled carbon dioxide.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/40abcj28.htm

Azodicarbonamide (ADA), a dough conditioner, is an additive approved in the US up to a maximum of 45 mg/kg in flour. The addition of 45 mg/kg of ADA was investigated and found to increase the ethyl carbamate (EC) content of commercially prepared breads by 1–3 μg/kg. A similar increase in EC was observed in breads baked in the laboratory with a bread machine. The increase in EC levels appears to depend on a variety of factors, most notably the concentration of ADA added and the time of fermentation. The addition of 20 mg/kg ADA caused only a slight increase, if any, in commercial products but a 2.3 μg/kg increase of EC in breads baked with a bread machine. When 100 mg/kg of ascorbic acid was added along with ADA, smaller EC increases were observed. Addition of urea was also found to enhance the EC content of the bread. Toasting, which was previously shown to increase EC levels, caused even larger increases when ADA or urea had been added.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02652039709374501#.UvRQo4UjquA

Note that even with the extra 1-3μg/kg the EC levels in bread are much lower than the levels found in alcoholic products and a bit less than in soy sauce. It's an accumulative product however so anyone with cancer concerns should probably estimate their total intake.

Konka

Banned
Subway and overpriced shouldn't be in the same sentence. Subway is some of the cheapest food you can get on the market today.

For what you get? Hell naw. Nearly every local sub place will pile on so much more than subway. The amount of meat on a regular subway sub is laughable.

Phoenix

There are likely many answers to this question. I have a feeling you assume the US is wrong each time, which would require justification.

If a food product (or component thereof) has been banned in other countries, I have a hard time trying to see a reason why you would continue to assume that it is safe for your own citizens to consume it. I'd love to understand the logic behind that reasoning though.

WoolyNinja

Rubber lasts a long time and has this chemical.
+ Subway bread has this chemical.
+ I've eaten Subway bread.
------------------------------------------
= I'll live a long time thanks to Subway?!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For what you get? Hell naw. Nearly every local sub place will pile on so much more than subway. The amount of meat on a regular subway sub is laughable.

Some places don't have local sub places.

edit: Check your privilege.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Rubber lasts a long time and has this chemical.
+ Subway bread has this chemical.
+ I've eaten Subway bread.
------------------------------------------
= I'll live a long time thanks to Subway?!

Or turn into Stretch Armstrong. It's a win win, really.

RM8

Subway is fine, I don't get the hate. In Mexico a 15cm ham sub is ~$1.5 USD, and ~$1.8 for a chicken breast one. You could do much worse price and health-wise if you're going to have fast food.

KHarvey16

If a health product has been banned in other countries, I have a hard time trying to see a reason why you would continue to assume that it is safe for your own citizens to consume it. I'd love to understand the logic behind that reasoning though.

The logic you're employing is that because another place banned it that automatically makes it bad. I'm arguing that that is obviously not true, which means in cases where the US has not banned a substance that other countries have, assuming they are wrong is unjustified without further evidence.

Why is this substance banned? Is that decision supported by current science? Do the factors that went into that decision apply to all countries?

lenovox1

If a health product has been banned in other countries, I have a hard time trying to see a reason why you would continue to assume that it is safe for your own citizens to consume it. I'd love to understand the logic behind that reasoning though.

In this case, as posted up thread, azodicarbonamide rapidly converts into the consumable biurea when baked with flour. The compound on it's own, though, has been linked to respiratory conditions by WHO. It's dangerous to inhale.

It's a case of different, yet valid standards here.

Phoenix

The logic you're employing is that because another place banned it that automatically makes it bad. I'm arguing that that is obviously not true, which means in cases where the US has not banned a substance that other countries have, assuming they are wrong is unjustified without further evidence.

Why is this substance banned? Is that decision supported by current science? Do the factors that went into that decision apply to all countries?

So there would be some science or logic that would say that its not fine for someone else to consume said substance but still okay for US citizens to consume that substance? Given that we're talking about countries that all have the same level of peer-reviewed science and that we're all humans following the same basic biology, I still don't see how we can arrive at a decision where "unsafe for them - still safe for us" would be the logical conclusion of a scientific investigation.

Are we suggesting that their science is worse than our science and they got it wrong and it is indeed okay for consumption? Usually it is an economics imperative and not a scientific conclusion that drives these things - but I'm still looking for a way for Australia and Europe to arrive at the conclusion that its just bad, take it out and for us to say "yeah its bad - just don't consume to much of it". Its bad, other developing nations are getting by just fine without it - why are we still consuming it.

Subway and overpriced shouldn't be in the same sentence. Subway is some of the cheapest food you can get on the market today.
not in canada lol, unless it's the sub of the day where you can get a foot long for 7 bucks after taxes. You're gonna end up paying 10-11 bucks for one goddamn sub. To be fair, most fast food costs a lot in Canada aside from value menus (which pale in comparison to amurica).

Not talking about that 6 inches though because I'm too grown for that.

terrisus

Well that's quite a sensationalist headline.

I mean, water has a chemical in it that's used in bleach. Are we going to do something about that?

EDIT: Beaten like a rubber punching bag.

Phoenix

In this case, as posted up thread, azodicarbonamide rapidly converts into the consumable biurea when baked with flour. The compound on it's own, though, has been linked to respiratory conditions by WHO. It's dangerous to inhale.

It's a case of different, yet valid standards here.

I understand what you're saying but what I'm saying is why wouldn't you err on the side of caution. Clearly the substance doesn't need to be included as Subway is apparently going to stop using it. So if its not really needed and it has raised the red flag elsewhere, why would you continue its use - even if in limited quantities?

lenovox1

I understand what you're saying but what I'm saying is why wouldn't you err on the side of caution. Clearly the substance doesn't need to be included as Subway is apparently going to stop using it. So if its not really needed and it has raised the red flag elsewhere, why would you continue its use - even if in limited quantities?

I don't know how much the FDA and USDA take into consideration the conclusions of other countries.

Game-Biz

Well, the science here, correct me if I'm wrong, is suggesting this chemical is fine for human consumption. So I'm not sure this has been banned in other countries based on science that it is actually bad for humans, since it shows that it only affects mice.

Dryk

Well, the science here, correct me if I'm wrong, is suggesting this chemical is fine for human consumption. So I'm not sure this has been banned in other countries based on science that it is actually bad for humans, since it shows that it only affects mice.
Two of the three main byproducts are completely fine. The other is a bioaccumulating carcinogen that is found to some extent or another in every fermented product. The main concern is that adding azodicarbonamide increases the amount produced.

mantidor

This doesn't surprise me in the least, the smell in a Subway when they are baking the breads is absolutely disgusting, like burning tires, seriously.

I still eat there, but like once every two months and only because is the only thing open at night near where I live.

Phoenix

I don't know how much the FDA and USDA take into consideration the conclusions of other countries.

Probably the case. I am always confused when I see things that have scientific studies that show the harm, the eventual ban in other countries because the harm has been clearly expressed, but its still consumed readily here even though its clear that we could get by without it. For example:

Potassium Bromate
Arsenic-laced Chicken (Roxasrone)
Olestra
Recombinant bovine growth hormone

Given that our own science finds issues with these, we continue to use them anyway - even though other countries just went ahead and banned their use and found substitutes that weren't as toxic.

terrisus

Also, if it's so bad:

In Canada it’s in deli-style rolls and Italian bread. It can also be found in buns at other restaurant chains and in some grocery aisle breads.

Why's it still hanging out in Canada and in "other restaurant chains and in some grocery aisle breads?"

Meier

I have no idea how anyone eats Subway. It's terrible -- the worst part has always been the bread so the fact this shit was in it comes as no surprise to me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
"Negligible risk in humans" is always funny.

IceCold

USA has always been like that. Basically for Europe, you have to prove something is safe before allowing consumers to use it, in the US you have to prove that it's unsafe. Huge difference. But then when they discover something is unsafe (such as certain pesticides), they simply sell it to developing nations.

Kite

My favorite response was from reddit:

"Sodium chloride could be used to de-ice roads. Are we next going to hear about Subway using an industrial road de-icing agent in their bread? Or about sucrose which is used to make polyurethane foams and glycerol, a chemical used in antifreeze? Or DHMO, the scariest chemical of them all which is used in nuclear reactors, fracking, oil refining, and is a critical part of the chemicals used during lethal injection? Seriously, why is Subway using shoe rubber, road de-icing, anti-freeze precursor, and execution chemicals in their bread?"

damac

Banned
I wonder if this has anything to do with how bad their bread stinks?

No matter what store I go to the bread reminds me of a burnt pizza and you can taste it throughout the dough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom