• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I either hacked the Wii U Miiverse or I am stupid.

Lunar15

Hey GAF, I just downloaded pushm..

double_take.gif

OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED IN HERE.

Lunar15

Honestly, it just looks like thread titles. Especially since some of them are weird like "Resident Evils". It's probably a test forum for miiverse. Someone just made a speculation thread called "Yoshi's Land Wii U".

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Honestly, it just looks like thread titles. Especially since some of them are weird like "Resident Evils". It's probably a test forum for miiverse. Someone just made a speculation thread called "Yoshi's Land Wii U".

Or it could be a test forum where Nintendo would recreate Nsider and make boards for specific games.

I miss Nsider forums.

rekameohs

Banned

You and your reasoning need to get out of here!

Is there a recap for this thread?
Trike somehow managed to (supposedly) access the debug menu of the WiiU by some simple way of interacting with the Miiverse. Once inside, he found admin account information as well as a list of unannounced games for the WiiU. However, it is speculated that the names are simply there from an earlier stage in development to fill in fields on pages.

The more Trike poked around in this debug menu, the more excited GAF got. He claimed to have received a PM from someone in the industry warning him that Nintendo could potentially get involved and face legal charges. Around this time, the Miiverse went down, and Nintendo patched it on the fly. Trike was locked out, and people began demanding he be given a tag.
Gifs and funny images ensued.

I think that pretty much covers it, but I'm certain someone else could do a far better job.

Trike

What a great ride, even if all the leaks are fake (which unfortunately they almost assuredly are).

As far as the titles go, I am pretty sure people are going to be disappointed if they expect a new Metroid, MGS, and Donkey Kong announced on the Wu anytime soon. However, if that one dummy post made is real then we should hear some announcements on December 10th. I didn't take a picture of it but I did transcribe it.

Also it said the new communities would come out December 20th. This would seemingly coincide with Nintendo's plan of rolling out various updates in the following weeks. By the 10th the Wii U would be out worldwide, right?

jbueno

Oh shit, just found out about this, someone at Nintendo must have really screwed this up. I´m wondering if those held responsible are even still at Nintendo.

Kame

DUDE. WHAT THE FUCK?

It hasn't even been 2 days since launch and debug mode could be already accessed?

Oh lord, INB4 WiiPocalyse Part 2 w/ Homebrew. . .

-Sigh-

Cyrano

Due to the way in which digital images are presented when you take pictures of them, it's hard to know for certain what that data intends. What is most interesting about the debug menu picture is that all the metadata is intact (http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?id=b77c39a4695326b21ec2b0cfcc6a394f90d66b0e.671938). This isn't super difficult to fake, but it's often one of the first things that's looked over when doing something like Photoshopping, since when one is intentionally trying to deceive using images, the image is often reconstructed to look authentic, and minor details (like metadata) are often missed. The fact that the metadata is fairly exhaustive is a good indicator that the images are not fake. Upload an image that was created via Photoshop or originated as a piece of art on the web and you'll see. Metadata is of course just the first step, but it's often the easiest to discern actual photos from creations. The two images you linked actually show examples of this, where the second image shows a compressed, modified image and the first is unmodified (though in this case, due to the refraction of light, I would still likely say both images are authentic, the second is simply resized). The grid impression of the images implies that both images were likely initially saved (or compressed as) JPEG images.

Algorithmically it appears as a photo of digital objects, which will appear as digital even in a photograph, due to how computer screens make-up image compositions. Once again, the other reality is that even opening an image in Photoshop does make modifications to it (as it has an image conversion process the same as any image editing program, same as GIMP and other image editors). If you've ever opened an image that looks fine in Photoshop but wrong in a program like GIMP, this is why. There can be any number of reasons for this, from compression levels to gzip functionality. Saving an image using any of these programs will modify the way the image looks, it's a simple reality of image compression, especially if you save the image as a JPEG and not a PNG, TGA, or BMP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
There was a rumor a loooooonng time ago that Good-Feel was doing a console Yoshi game I think.

For those of you just joining us...

j70kjLPqgxG7p.jpg

We are ALL going to jail.

But before we do, our story allegedly began when our hapless OP, Trike, pressed the "X" button on his WiiU controller while highlighting the "Close" option the online service MiiVerse. This brought up strange options, and seemingly otherwise inaccessible discussions and message boards, some for games that hadn't even been announced.

I tried to delete everything. Didn't work? I dunno. I added myself as a regional admin. Don't know if that went through either. Messing around on there I did find some curious messages by Yoshiomi Kurisu. That is who hatena-chris is.

First message is dated 2012/12/01 09:30:00: WiiU will be released tomorrow!
Second messaged is dated 2012/12/10 09:30:00: Big titles will be released this weekend, so there are more messages on Miiverse.

Good news will be confirmed for those who are wanting a new Yoshi console game in about five minutes.

Edit: and possibly Metal Gear Solid.

GAF was quite doubtful of this claim, but Trike continued to provide updates, alleging that someone on the boards stated that some big announcements for the WiiU would be made on December 10. Trike even provided photographic evidence of his accidental "hacking".

I uploaded the pictures. Sorry for the lateness, imgur didn't work, so I went with another host.

That isn't the one I clicked though. I should probably try anyway.

(Images added to OP)

While some were still doubtful if Trike was telling the absolute truth, it certainly seemed as if something had occurred. Unfortunately, the OP claimed Nintendo fixed the exploit and he could no longer access his secret options. Also, he claimed that he had been told to cease his actions by a certain someone.

Okay, so it turns out that the ZELDAAA comments on the right are the comments for all of the different sub-forums. I think they are just testing them. BTW, all of those titles are in the "US / English / Games for Teenagers and Kids" section. Which is supposed to launch on December 20th,2012. So maybe the December 10th reveal will confirm this information.

Also a certain developer that I greatly respect PM'd me saying that I might get into some legal trouble or jailtime with Nintendo for this. LawyerGAF wanna help me out?

With sites such as Kotaku reporting the incident, still nobody seems exactly sure what transpired.

Was this all a hoax? Were the games listed just random placeholders, or perhaps an accumulation of frequently talked about titles? Did Trike really uncover games Nintendo had been keeping secret? Will Nintendo fire someone's ass? Only time will tell.

Sorry if I didn't get it quite right. This is a big damn thread.

tsigo

The stuff posted in the screenshots so far just screams "Developer seed data used to mess around and test things out." I wouldn't read too much into what is or isn't there.

Mandoric

Banned
Due to the way in which digital images are presented when you take pictures of them, it's hard to know for certain what that data intends. What is most interesting about the debug menu picture is that all the metadata is intact (http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?id=b77c39a4695326b21ec2b0cfcc6a394f90d66b0e.671938). This isn't super difficult to fake, but it's often one of the first things that's looked over when doing something like Photoshopping, since when one is intentionally trying to deceive using images, the image is often reconstructed to look authentic, and minor details (like metadata) are often missed. The fact that the metadata is fairly exhaustive is a good indicator that the images are not fake. Upload an image that was created via Photoshop or originated as a piece of art on the web and you'll see. Metadata is of course just the first step, but it's often the easiest to discern actual photos from creations. The two images you linked actually show examples of this, where the second image shows a compressed, modified image and the first is unmodified (though in this case, due to the refraction of light, I would still likely say both images are authentic, the second is simply resized). The grid impression of the images implies that both images were likely initially saved (or compressed as) JPEG images.

Algorithmically it appears as a photo of digital objects, which will appear as digital even in a photograph, due to how computer screens make-up image compositions. Once again, the other reality is that even opening an image in Photoshop does make modifications to it (as it has an image conversion process the same as any image editing program, same as GIMP and other image editors). If you've ever opened an image that looks fine in Photoshop but wrong in a program like GIMP, this is why. There can be any number of reasons for this, from compression levels to gzip functionality. Saving an image using any of these programs will modify the way the image looks, it's a simple reality of image compression, especially if you save the image as a JPEG and not a PNG, TGA, or BMP.

That's a whole lot of tl;dr to overlook the "display shop/mockup fullscreen, take a phone pic" method.

Top Bottom