• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Mafia |OT| Sometimes You Don't Need A Reason to Lynch Your Friends

Zubz

Banned
I didn't mean your avatar, I meant were you once NAMED mantis. If you were always zubz, then I really don't know you. How would you describe your playstyle?

Would you support gambits?
What if they
A) worked
B) m?d? y?? l??gh
C) resulted in an annoying player getting lynched
D) nobody ever responded and nothing happened

Oh. No, I've always been Zubz. I support gambits if they work, but not if nothing happens or if they take down the wrong person. Like the Motion Detector... Blarg.

Ah! okay, thanks!

Well, it's mostly because... I don't want to accidentally lynch a doctor. Or a cop. I wanna have some warm bodies to examine before I make a move.

No Lynch just gives scum a free night to party. Doesn't benefit town because it produces no information to work on D2.

So I haven't played a lot yet, but I have played in two games in which Blarg is scum and I've read others. And guys, I think... I'm gonna say something controversial. I think... I think Blarg is town.

Either that or he's as flavorless as the game itself.

Anyway, I'm podcasting so I'm only half reading. MORE READING LATER.

Zubz

Banned
So I haven't played a lot yet, but I have played in two games in which Blarg is scum and I've read others. And guys, I think... I'm gonna say something controversial. I think... I think Blarg is town.

Blarg was flavorful in games I was in with him where he was a good guy, too.

yes, population: me

They are going to nk and flip someone. They're gonna get a 'free' night to 'party' whether we lunch or not. All of this is false.

Putting town at a general disadvantage going into N1 one is what I mean about scum getting their chance to party.

Not to mention PRs have less than normal to work in scum hunting.

Can honestly think of a game where a no lynch D1 would've benefited town?

Fat4all

Banned
The sitting room was vast, filled with shelves upon shelves of antiques and curios. It was a dark, cozy room, with the biggest source of light coming from a grand fireplace at the far wall. The group moved in slowly. While there was plenty of seats available, a few found themselves standing or pacing absentmindedly instead.

The silence was unnerving, but no one wanted to be the first to break it. After ten minutes, a door near the fireplace opened and a butler entered the room, replacing and resupplying drinks.

acohrs decided this was the right moment to speak.

"Well... I'm guessing no one here has ever met each other?"

A few gestures of acknowledgement and spattering of agreement filled the haze of the room.

"I mean, I recognize a few of you, but..."
"I've seen you before as well"

acohrs turned to look at nin1000.

"You were on TV I think, right? Can't quite recall your name, though."

"Ooh, a celebrity?" Blargonaut leaned forward in their chair, "Are you on one of those cooking shows or something?"

acohrs waived a hand in the air.

"No, no, nothing like that. But that doesn't really matter. In fact, I'd prefer if we kept our social lives out of the talk that goes on in this building."

The pacing woman stopped and turned towards acohrs.

"I agree with you. All we should know about each other at the most is just names. We all already know why we are gathered. Those details are for us and us alone to know."

She grabbed a fresh scotch and took a seat finally.

"Well, for us and for CrimsonFist to know..."

Silence once again fell, but only for a moment this time as the woman spoke up again.

"Anyways. Names. I'm kitsunelaine."

Each person in the sitting room took a moment to introduce themselves before the doors leading from the hall opened. CrimsonFist stepped in.

"Dinner is going to be a bit longer still. In the meantime, take a moment to wander as you wish."

They opened the doors wide and made their way back to the kitchen.

"Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to stretch our legs a bit," franconp said while getting to their feet, "but I do recommend that we look around in groups. It will be easier to find each other later, I'm sure."

In groups of twos and threes, they all set out to look around the massive manor, while the storm outside grew more and more fierce. Soon, a dinner bell rang through the manor, and each of the groups found their way back to the hall. The dining room was to the right of the sitting room, and they all gathered in and took their seats at the long table.

The room was scarcely designed, but very clean. The floor was reflecting the lights on the chandelier in the center of the room.

The sitting room was vast, filled with shelves upon shelves of antiques and curios. It was a dark, cozy room, with the biggest source of light coming from a grand fireplace at the far wall. The group moved in slowly. While there was plenty of seats available, a few found themselves standing or pacing absentmindedly instead.

The silence was unnerving, but no one wanted to be the first to break it. After ten minutes, a door near the fireplace opened and a butler entered the room, replacing and resupplying drinks.

acohrs decided this was the right moment to speak.

"Well... I'm guessing no one here has ever met each other?"

A few gestures of acknowledgement and spattering of agreement filled the haze of the room.

"I mean, I recognize a few of you, but..."
"I've seen you before as well"

acohrs turned to look at nin1000.

"You were on TV I think, right? Can't quite recall your name, though."

"Ooh, a celebrity?" Blargonaut leaned forward in their chair, "Are you on one of those cooking shows or something?"

acohrs waived a hand in the air.

"No, no, nothing like that. But that doesn't really matter. In fact, I'd prefer if we kept our social lives out of the talk that goes on in this building."

The pacing woman stopped and turned towards acohrs.

"I agree with you. All we should know about each other at the most is just names. We all already know why we are gathered. Those details are for us and us alone to know."

She grabbed a fresh scotch and took a seat finally.

"Well, for us and for CrimsonFist to know..."

Silence once again fell, but only for a moment this time as the woman spoke up again.

"Anyways. Names. I'm kitsunelaine."

Each person in the sitting room took a moment to introduce themselves before the doors leading from the hall opened. CrimsonFist stepped in.

"Dinner is going to be a bit longer still. In the meantime, take a moment to wander as you wish."

They opened the doors wide and made their way back to the kitchen.

"Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to stretch our legs a bit," franconp said while getting to their feet, "but I do recommend that we look around in groups. It will be easier to find each other later, I'm sure."

In groups of twos and threes, they all set out to look around the massive manor, while the storm outside grew more and more fierce. Soon, a dinner bell rang through the manor, and each of the groups found their way back to the hall. The dining room was to the right of the sitting room, and they all gathered in and took their seats at the long table.

The room was scarcely designed, but very clean. The floor was reflecting the lights on the chandelier in the center of the room.

Gripping!

2 cents is a steal!

...nah. Probably. I don't know.

you can change it whenever, just write a new vote: name

Okay, thanks!

vote: weemadarthur

I don't understand why I'm making myself a target here, but sounding like I have a reason, well... I don't. But assuming I have one, and then voting for me is suspicious.

Fat4all

Banned
Just so you know, I dunno if they accept votes if they are bolded.

If you want to vote, this is the best format.

Vote: Fat4all

You can all caps the 'Vote' as well.

If you want to vote for someone else, you just vote for them normally.

But if you want to take a vote off someone without voting for someone else, you do it like this

Unvote: Fat4all

Sometimes they also accept just highlighting 'Unvote' without a name, but I usually use the full name and stuff.

Just so you know, I dunno if they accept votes if they are bolded.

If you want to vote, this is the best format.

Vote: Fat4all

You can all caps the 'Vote' as well.

If you want to vote for someone else, you just vote for them normally.

But if you want to take a vote off someone without voting for someone else, you do it like this

Unvote: Fat4all

Sometimes they also accept just highlighting 'Unvote' without a name, but I usually use the full name and stuff.

Oh, okay! I didn't know the bolding was a side effect of the highlighting, so I'll retype my vote here just to be on the safe side. :)

Vote: weemadarthur

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
D'awww y'all turned my predictions in to BOLD predictions.

And the other noob will get replaced.

Not if I have anything to say about it!

Welcome NeckToChicken and kitsunelaine

What do you two think of Karkador?

From all I know, he's fairly savvy at this, so this is (in order of how likely I think it is):
1. A discussion prod.
2. An attempt for a sure minimal gain for town (keeping a possible power role alive one more night due to more targets/not getting lynched day 1).
3. A scum misdirection as one of the above two.

Scum intent is listed last because I don't really have anything else to go on, and I honestly believe there is some value in 2.

I'd say it depends on how lucky we're feeling?

No Lynch just gives scum a free night to party. Doesn't benefit town because it produces no information to work on D2.

Don't worry, I'll be getting to your earlier post too after this.

I think this is disingenuous, because it'll make the scum take the initiative. The first lynch will be some insight into who *they* believe is a threat. We get a night kill result back, but they go into the first night with nothing other than speculation and their allies.

Zubz

Banned
Okay, thanks!

vote: weemadarthur

I don't understand why I'm making myself a target here, but sounding like I have a reason, well... I don't. But assuming I have one, and then voting for me is suspicious.

... I was waiting all night for you to confirm that No Kill so I could vote for you...

Fat4all seems to be taking up a lot of space with that flavor. It's a Diet Scum move that some non-Scum might do for fun. But I don't like it.

... I was waiting all night for you to confirm that No Kill so I could vote for you...

Fat4all seems to be taking up a lot of space with that flavor. It's a Diet Scum move that some non-Scum might do for fun. But I don't like it.

Sorry bud, Timezones are a pain in the ass. X3

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm. Since Splinter isn't around for my customary opening vote and there are a few new faces (mostly to me) I'll do some prodding.

VOTE: NeckToChicken

Are you scum?

Show your work please and thank you.

I claim town and nothing more.

TIME TO SHOW MY WORK. (Warning: NERD ahead)

FOR Day 1 and little voting record or other information:

IF I am vanilla town THEN
-Claiming generic town gives no information other than making me seem more untrustworthy in a game of untrustworthies.
-Claiming vanilla town puts me potentially low on scum kill lists, removing me from harm but endangering power roles by depriving them an "unknown" as a decoy.
-Claiming a generic power role magnetizes scum to me, but also puts day phase heat on me when I am unable to back up later with results. This will cause problems and confusion for town later.
-Claiming a specific power role is putting a gun to my head both in day and night phase AND might force a counterclaim marking two town for death.
THEREFORE I claim generic town to cause the least damage.

IF I am a town power role THEN
-Claiming generic town gives no information other than making me seem more untrustworthy in a game of untrustworthies.
-Claiming vanilla town lowers my scum target rating, but is a lie. This lie's exposure could be lethal to me unless I get out in front of it and claim truthfully later. This marks me for death to scum later BUT misleads town. Town can run wild with misinformation...
-Claiming a generic power role draws scum to me, BUT possibly allows for a doctor save should one exist. This is not assured by any means. If I make it a few days my results will speak for themselves... but I could just do that in a few days then.
-Claiming a specific power role is putting a mafia gun to my head (and hoping for a doctor save), BUT dissuades a counterclaim from happening as my death will turn a laser focus on the other claimer. This narrows the places scum can hide at the cost of my life.
THEREFORE I claim generic town to keep myself alive and not mislead town.

IF I am a neutral THEN
-Claiming vanilla town protects from scum slightly but makes me more expendable to town, and is also a lie. This lie's exposure is a very bad not good thing.
-Claiming neutral, whether town-friendly or scum-aiding, is some measure of scum protection as they likely have bigger fish to fry and enjoy the extra breathing room. However, this is just asking to get lynched. If you're a survivor... well, good luck.
-Claiming a generic power role is an interesting play. You might receive protection from town and the scum might not kill you fast enough for it to matter. Dangerous, but workable.
-Claiming a specific power role is a lot more dangerous. You might be a serial killer and claim vigilante, but once the kills keep rolling out townspeople are going to get suspicious. Scum will put one in you unless you've got bulletproof...
THEREFORE I claim generic/vanilla town to stall OR generic power role to bluff depending on my power and predilections.

IF I am scum THEN
-Claiming vanilla makes me expendable to town, and is also a lie. This lie's exposure looks pretty bad. However, I can spin this as protecting myself as a power role for later if caught.
-Claiming a generic power role is similar to the neutral claim, but you are much more restricted. You have to make it to the end of the game to win, and claiming some power role day one will have everyone looking for results that you must falsify or fail to deliver.
-Claiming a specific power role might force a counterclaim, but you will die the death unless you pull some next level mind trickery.
THEREFORE I claim generic or vanilla town to hide for now and lie my ass off later.

RESULT: I claim generic town.

Again, these are for the current situation and information level. I welcome any criticism of my rationales because I have no idea what I'm doing...

This may seem like me saying "oh look I could be any of these har har", so I'll add one last bit. To put it plain and so that you can rack me with it later: I definitively claim I am neither neutral nor scum.

acohrs

Fatdogs story is all wrong, acorns would not be trying to solve this mess out he would be doing this:

giphy.gif

dusk soldier (1)
acohrs 67

no lynch (2)
karkador 75
blargonaut 106

necktochicken (1)
melonrabbit 80

karkador (1)
zubz 81 (114)
isaacnukem 104

launchpadmcq (1)
cornburrito 96

blargonaut (1)
zubz 114

no lynch</b> (0)
kitsunelaine 132 (182)

kitsunelaine (1)
weemadarthur 141

weemadarthur</b> (0)
kitsunelaine 182 (184)

fat4all (0)
fat4all 183 (183)

weemadarthur (1)
kitsunelaine 184

Day Ends:
bla_1498338000.png

nin1000

Banned
I am here now and will read throigh all your posts. Be aware that I won't be going all crazy this time around. Facts are what matter the most. No bs. No flavours. Just. RAW

Kalor

I'm not a fan of the no lynch vote. My main reasons for being against it have already been mentioned by people (less information on D2, no voting history for today). Since I want to lynch someone today I should probably put a vote out there.

Vote: franconp

nin1000

Banned
Since the main topic of the last hours was the lynch / No Lynch i will put down my 2cents.

I can understand the reasoning Kark is giving and i share his sentiments.
On the other hand i can also understand those that want to lynch someone in order to recieve information.
BUT.
A no lynch does not equal that we wont be having a discussion. Since in the coming days we will ofc go by the votes but the main meat will come from the discussion.

ON the other hand
Voting is the main power tool town has.

still unsure but will make up my mind very soon

nin1000

Banned
You're a commuter...
Fat4all is there a reason why you're claiming this so early in the game?

Quoting in order to recieve an answer from Fat4all. ( well done there Dusk)

Could you give us your thoughts on that post?

Was it just for fun, for real or what was your invention behind that ?

Top Bottom