• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

Poster#1

It looks like an expansion rather than a sequel. No new classes, same enemies, no dedicated servers. The list goes on. The only thing I liked is the guided games and it looks like something you can patch it in D1.

I expected a lot more from the sequel :/.

mrqs

I don't think i'm disappointed, but i was for sure not impressed. I expected more from them, but yeah, looks like some big expansion.

Hope they'll show more at E3.

Seems like a reveal aimed at fans.

For someone on the outside, it's fairly easy for me to write off the game based on what was shown (or wasn't).

XandBosch

As someone who bought the first game, realized I wasted my money and never returned to it after trading it in, I was definitely hoping that this would be more of an AC1 to AC2 type of evolution. Instead it looks more like a DLC pack for the first game.

So yeah, disappointed. I was definitely interested in a sequel, but after yesterday's reveal I can safely say I'll have more room to play other games this Fall that I care way more about.

Since my thread was locked for no reason, yes I'm disappointed. I just watched the strike video. It looks exactly like Destiny 1. What is Bungie doing?

Assanova

I wasn't impressed, but will probably by it if they do a better job at matchmaking. It's a fun shooter to waste time in.

Seems like a reveal aimed at fans.

For someone on the outside, it's fairly easy for me to write off the game based on what was shown (or wasn't).

It was certainly that. The only people outside of the Destiny community that still regularly play the game that they were catering to were people who picked the game up but never did any of the endgame activities because of the lack of matchmaking, but more than anything it's a sequel aimed at fans of the first game. And there are a lot of them. It sold very well.

If you didn't like Destiny 1 I really doubt Destiny 2 is going to bring you into the fold.

Extremely.

Locked 30FPS on consoles even for 4v4 PVP, no dedicated servers for the sequel to a game with lag issues, the content additions we're privy to seem more like an expansion than a sequel, etc.

Since my thread was locked for no reason, yes I'm disappointed. I just watched the strike video. It looks exactly like Destiny 1. What is Bungie doing?

Your thread was shitposting. Pretty simple

Destiny 2 OT is gonna be a shitstorm.

I dunno why you people expected a complete overhaul of everything. Its not like everything in Destiny 1 was trash.

It was certainly that. The only people outside of the Destiny community that still regularly play the game that they were catering to were people who picked the game up but never did any of the endgame activities because of the lack of matchmaking, but more than anything it's a sequel aimed at fans of the first game. And there are a lot of them. It sold very well.

If you didn't like Destiny 1 I really doubt Destiny 2 is going to bring you into the fold.

That's a shame. I want to like it. It looks so cool.

Too bad there's no story and you have to play the same levels over and over. :( wanted something more Halo style - not borderlands or diablo FPS.

TheXbox

No, it just cemented my disinterest with the series. I was hoping for total reinvention. Like, back to the drawing board, start from scratch, rethinking everything that Destiny is and can be. Instead, it's structurally identical to the first game. I'm sure Destiny people are stoked, but I don't want that. I suspect a lot of solo players feel the same way.

Game looks awesome to me. Only 2 things I'm disappointed in are no dedicated servers and PC launching late.

Besides that I'm so in

No op , I am pleased with whatever they revealed but still somewhat conscious and will wait for the Further reveals.

Are you sure about that.

Dude, c'mon, I'm entitled to my opinions. Just because GAF loves Destiny doesn't mean I have to. I didn't connect with the game because it failed to provide a continuously compelling experience and my tolerance for doing the same shit over and over (in the same damn map) is very low.

You can't deny this. This game was universally shit on

That's a shame. I want to like it. It looks so cool.

Too bad there's no story and you have to play the same levels over and over. :( wanted something more Halo style - not borderlands or diablo FPS.

I will say that if the lack of a coherent story was the thing that bummed you out in the first game, the later expansions did a lot to remedy that and the story missions in the second game already look a lot better and more interesting than the first.

Gator86

It depends where you're coming from. If you loved D1 and want more of that/expanded options, you're thrilled. If you thought D1 turned out the way it did because of a tumultuous dev cycle and they were going to do all the ambitious stuff they originally considered for D1 with D2, then you're probably bummed.

I think I'm in the latter camp, D1 is one of the all-time disappointing games for me, up there with real soul-crushers like Deus Ex: Invisible War. I figured D2 might be a real shift and try some ambitious stuff they couldn't pull off for D1, but it didn't turn out that way. You can't blame them really. D1 is huge and prints money, why risk changing anything up for D2? Maybe there's more huge stuff or things are crazy different in practice, but it seems like they just wanted to keep things rolling without doing too much to rock the boat or risk a misstep.

SummitAve

Banned
It wasn't completely different or a new approach. That's pretty much the only thing that could have brought me back in. I was pretty disappointed by the first game.

Defuser

You can tell in this thread who didn't played the Taken King expansion. D2 is expanding on the Taken King system not Vanilla Destiny.

Dynomutt

Destiny 2 looks like Destiny 1 just like Pork Bacon looks like Turkey Bacon...Right? No not really.

Both are tasty but come with a lot of salt just like Gaf.

Xumbrega

Banned
Yeah.. too soon for a sequel, this should be pushed to Fall 2018 and make it feel more sequel than an expansion.. but again this is Activision we are talking about.. ugh.

Bungie should go independent or go back to Microsoft as long as they don't force Bungie to do only Halo games.

Midas

No. Just disappointed by some people on this forum. I expected better from you; we're almost three year in to the Destiny franchise and people still acts like little kids.

Dude, c'mon, I'm entitled to my opinions. Just because GAF loves Destiny doesn't mean I have to. I didn't connect with the game because it failed to provide a continuously compelling experience and my tolerance for doing the same shit over and over (in the same damn map) is very low.

GAF certainly doesn't love Destiny, and for a game that was 'universally shit on' it has a remarkably large and active community full of people who love the game. Totally entitled to your opinion, but don't extrapolate that outwards.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I eagerly await the OP's next thread - "Are the Souls games easy or is it just me?" to be followed by "Splatoon 2 looks like a port to me."

D2 looks good. Could have been more, but I'll take it.

By random people online. Destiny still has an enormous community and people online somehow cannot grasp that because they don't like it, hordes of other people do.

Destiny 2 is aimed firmly at the millions of people who still play the game monthly not people that want something totally different than what the franchise is

It depends where you're coming from. If you loved D1 and want more of that/expanded options, you're thrilled. If you thought D1 turned out the way it did because of a tumultuous dev cycle and they were going to do all the ambitious stuff they originally considered for D1 with D2, then you're probably bummed.

I think I'm in the latter camp, D1 is one of the all-time disappointing games for me, up there with real soul-crushers like Deus Ex: Invisible War. I figured D2 might be a real shift and try some ambitious stuff they couldn't pull off for D1, but it didn't turn out that way. You can't blame them really. D1 is huge and prints money, why risk changing anything up for D2? Maybe there's more huge stuff or things are crazy different in practice, but it seems like they just wanted to keep things rolling without doing too much to rock the boat or risk a misstep.

This is a good way to summarize it. They said eh, D1 is doing well enough, why change. They didn't really go for ambitious, just status quo

Zakalwe

Banned
Anyone who's played D1 Extensively knows the additional features and content make this far more than a measly expansion.

D2 looks fantastic. There was never going to be a huge change, the game only needed refining. Not sure why anyone was expecting the former.

opricnik

Banned
From the gameplay trailer to a PC player like me it looks like cheap rip off of Warframe.

not even remotely interested what they have shown so far.

You have been on this forum for almost a long time. How in the hell did you come to this conclusion? Your thread being locked?

You should really check out some previous Destiny threads on here other than the OT to see how "loved" Destiny is here.

nynt9

No, you're literally the only person who's disappointed. See all the shitposting in every Destiny 2 thread.

Also, I don't get how people say the devs aren't giving solo players anything. They talked about exploration content, lost sectors, treasure hunts and more that are geared towards solo play. Did people sleep through the stream? Did they just watch the beginning and make up their mind?

Also, sure, the three main classes are the same, but they've been retooled dramatically from what we've been shown.

I'm not sure what major changes people wanted to see that wouldn't make this a fundamentally different game.

REV 09

As a casual, I'm having a hard time telling them apart. It looks somewhat better visually, but no big changes that I can tell. I was thinking of jumping back in with the sequel and still probably will, but I expected a larger step up.

J 0 E

It's a refined Destiny experience more than a major sequel, and I'm ok with that (Destiny 1.5)

the first one had great controls and combat mechanics but poor content, the second seems to fix what was wrong and improve what was great ... it's a safe and good approach.

No. Just disappointed by some people on this forum. I expected better from you; we're almost three year in to the Destiny franchise and people still acts like little kids.

The internet doesn't really no how to react to a game they don't enjoy. It's rare for someone to have well thought out complaints rather than borderline shit-posting. It's super OK to not like a game, but at least offer some discussion beyond the Destiny 1.5 schtick.

I eagerly await the OP's next thread - "Are the Souls games easy or is it just me?" to be followed by "Splatoon 2 looks like a port to me."

D2 looks good. Could have been more, but I'll take it.

That's my thought as well. I played a decent amount of the first Destiny but it wasn't hundreds or thousands of hours. Yesterday I saw just about every complaint I had with the first game addressed and that's more than enough for me.

Yeah, it was terrible. I bought destiny and shelved it, but I was hoping this would be great. The cinematics were just awful cheese garbage, and ít all looked like an expansion.
Hard pass.

Zakalwe

Banned

Nope. This game was shit on by a vocal minority.

Universally it did very, very well. It has a huge, dedicated, friendly community. D2 is on track to be massive.

You didn't like it, the vocal minority on gaf didn't like it, but the world loved it. you should accept that.

As someone who was hoping Destiny 2 would be a step towards Destiny becoming what the first game was marketed to be, I was severely disappointed.

Raide

Hrmmmm...it looks like a more refined and well thought out destiny 1. Which is not a bad thing for fans.

Time will tell if they pull the usual Bungie DLC/Luke Smith hyperbole explanations down the line.

I enjoyed Destiny despite the flaws. Will watch D2 carefully come launch.

Apdiddy

I'd have to hear more about the campaign and the new exotics/strikes/raids, but so far I'm impressed. If I get it, it'll probably be base game + expansion pass depending on how different than Destiny 1 the final game is.

Babyshams

Extremely. Looks like barely an upgrade, no new enemies shown. 30 FPS, no dedicated servers.

Underwhelming on every front.

Top Bottom