• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

TommyT

If you are not on mumble they shoot on sight.

Well one of the mumbles is either down or full... Going into the second no one is playing day z. Oh well, rather unfortunate I suppose. I'll just move on to a different one.

edit: Unless there's a different mumble than the ones we've always used/are in the OP.

Mirk

Well one of the mumbles is either down or full... Going into the second no one is playing day z. Oh well, rather unfortunate I suppose. I'll just move on to a different one.

edit: Unless there's a different mumble than the ones we've always used/are in the OP.

mumble was down but its up now.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So we're killing each other on the GAF server?

Regardless of being on Mumble or not someones always going to kill you. I doubt you can find a single server where other players wont kill you. Most players kill on sight. GAF server is no different especially seeing as its not just GAFfers playing on it, and even then a lot of GAFfers enjoy PKing. Its part of the game.

TommyT

mumble was down but its up now.

Yeah I hopped in, still no one answering about playing day z.

Regardless of being on Mumble or not someones always going to kill you. I doubt you can find a single server where other players wont kill you. Most players kill on sight. GAF server is no different especially seeing as its not just GAFfers playing on it, and even then a lot of GAFfers enjoy PKing. Its part of the game.

That's all well and good, and I don't mind that at all. My first day and all so I'm still trying to figure out what to expect. Hoping for something that doesn't add to the frustration of the game, but sadly not finding it yet.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's all well and good, and I don't mind that at all. My first day and all so I'm still trying to figure out what to expect. Hoping for something that doesn't add to the frustration of the game, but sadly not finding it yet.

Its not a terribly easy game, let a lone the fact that the Arma II infrastructure and base game itself isnt exactly user friendly. But if you just take some time and learn how things work its not all that hard and can be extremely enjoyable.

My current character has been alive for some 24 days now and I've racked up I think over 1200 zombie kills, and only 1 PK. If youre smart and most importantly patient you can do pretty well. Sure it might take a long ass while to crawl all the way into town at a snails pace, but its extremely rewarding once youre in a market or house and find a ton of food or ammo.

JambiBum

The mumble in the op is not correct. I did it too at first. Look on either this page or the page before for a quotable post that has the details in it.

I got murdered in the hospital with a bunch of supplies tonight. Made me sad.

gutabo

Ok, I was willing to give the game another go so I updated the game to the latest version(1.7.2.3) and the beta patch too(94945) but now I can't join any server at all. Help please?

EDIT: I always get stuck in the first "Wait for host" screen. I can see the welcome text of some servers, but nothing afterwards.

EDIT 2: Ok seems like beta patch 94945 is the issue, how can I go back to beta patch 94876? Thanks in advance!

EDIT 3: Deleted the beta folder and installed the beta patch, GAF WE'RE IN THERE!!!

NH Apache

Banned
So night-time.

Been crawling around in the dark as I spawned somewhere near the beach. I've seen 3 little clusters of houses that i have painstakenly ninja-ed near avoiding dozens of zombies only to not be able to get in the houses. This character has had about 1.5 hours of playtime and haven't discovered anything yet. I'm getting really hungry and thirsty.

Night just makes it so much more difficult. Also, how do I work the damn flashlight? When is sun-up on our server?

If someone was at Elektro - at the fire station beside the power station - be more careful, I had like 10 shots at you (if I'd wanted to); if I'd been needing equipment and there wasn't obvious others in the city to - I'd have gone for it ;)

Anyways! Set a tent up! Finally! Going to stick some normal basic items in it; and stuff thats taking up space in my bag.

Just need one more thing and am sorted 'character wise' and might take some more risks :)

Night just makes it so much more difficult. Also, how do I work the damn flashlight? When is sun-up on our server?

Press g, then right cli on your flash light - click "Remove from toolbelt" and then it will take your secondary weapon slot. Press L to turn it on and off. BE CAREFUL - its basically a 'HERE I AM' signal, best flash it on and off - and scout areas before you go in.

Also just follow the roads, you'll find a town to raid and get water/food. Careful for other players ofc.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ball, the new hotfix didnt do anything for my character, which is good I guess since I didnt get spawned on the coast or anything, but the gillie suite I had which got borked in 1.7.2 still isnt a gillie suite anymore and remains shitty old civilian clothing, which by the way still dupes backpacks...

As well the latest hotfixes didnt do anything to change the tent duping situation since the two tents I packed up to bring to Berezino are back where I originally set them up, so by my count I now have 8 tents setup around the map.Their contents as well seem to be unchanged, granted theyre all empty save for two, but seems after every server restart they revert back to the same contents few contents they had in them. So whether I put new shit in or took the old shit out, its always the same stuff.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Whoever just killed me in Berzino on the GAF server, thank you for putting me out of my misery.

If you happened to notice I ran around in circles back to the same stupid building, yeah... I had no idea where the bloody hell I was going. I "thought" I was heading towards the supermarket.

My sense of direction in this game is just awful. :p

Oh weird thing just happened, I had an infection (me too!) but then my game crashed, I came back on with 12,000 blood and no infection. Lucky I suppose, but weird.

I heard from a buddy that a clan is setting up a base at Cherno in LU1. Putting up all kinds of barbed wire in the streets. Could be fun for the gaf clan to teach them a lesson.

They are using unarmed players as scouts, conveying player positions to their clan.

NH Apache

Banned
So, had my first zombie encounter this morning. Freaking zombie showed up out of nowhere! I freaked and ended up jumping off a second story (not a good idea), broke a leg, and blundered through healing myself.

Escaping, got hit by another zombie! I just started running like crazy. Until I seemed to lose him and disconnected because I ran out of playtime.

But damn. This game is so immersive. I saw the sunrise in game and it was amazing.

I happened to be frapping at the time of the encounter and here is the video of my bad decisions haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yqUV1v_JoY&feature=youtu.be

So what is a tent useful for? Especially when other players can just open it up and take your stuff.

Back up stuff. I'm keeping items I generally already have - in case I die.
If you hide it well you can use it for storage, after all theres only so much they can carry at once if they do 'steal'.

Am planning to create two tent locations. One at the coast and another to the North West.
Means I can rearm quickly/effectively - and I can back up my medical supplies (especially important).

JambiBum

Thanks guys. I thought that was it but I wasn't sure. We found one but we were in Cherno with no real place to hide it. We struggled all damn night to gather some good supplies and then finally we hit the jackpot. Plenty of ammo and weapons, ton of food, and medical supplies. I think we dropped our tent though because we ran out of room to carry it.

NH Apache

Banned
Still overwhelmed at how cool the sunrise is.

iRCPZxpOKbHNI.gif

TheContact

We stopped spawning with pistols in 1.7 something I believe.

No more beech deathmatch. Just jerks who return to the coast or cities with sniper rifles.

I'm so bad at this lol. I can't seem to find anything other than tin cans before I manage to attract a zombie that keeps following me till I did. I'm crawling around too

Megasoum

Banned
Sigh...I really need that game BAD... Come on Steam... The worst is, because this is the biggest seller, I'm sure Valve is keeping it for one of the last day of the sale just so that people keep coming back everyday to see the new dailies.

JambiBum

I'm so bad at this lol. I can't seem to find anything other than tin cans before I manage to attract a zombie that keeps following me till I did. I'm crawling around too

Here's a hint for when zombies are chasing you. If you can't get inside of a building to make them slow down, run up a steep hill. They will slowly walk up it and you will lose them in no time.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Avoid the cities, you'll likely die there. Try going inland and look for barns, they usually have a crossbow, Winchester, Enfields or at the very least a hatchet in them. White barns in particular usually have a least one if not two weapons in them along with other supplies. Deerstands can also have some good stuff in them, military grade weapons and ammo, but theyre not easy to find or get to sometimes and can often be full of junk so its a gamble when youre starting out. But really weapons really should be a last resort.

The key to the game is stealth and observation. Get in quietly, get out quietly. If you absolutely have to kill a zombie do so, but even then if you weave in and out of buildings, particularly barns, but also the Red and Yellow brick buildings work as well, you can lose the zombies quite easily. It doesnt matter too much if you end up attracting a bunch more zombies on the way. Even then if you dont lose them you'll at least be indoors or near enough, because its a fools errand to every try and fight off zombies outside, you'll lose more often than not, and at the very least lose a lot of blood and waste your medical supplies, if you have any.

Always fight indoors. The double door black houses are the best, you can hide behind the table in the kitchen and take your time headshotting zombies, but it does have the problem of leaving you trapped if you run out of ammo and have no hatchet. If thats a concern, the barns and red/yellow brick buildings are best, but keep aware, the multiple entrances can leave you vulnerable.

Never eat or drink unless your icons are flashing, unless you are about to enter an area full of zombies, because eating/drinking noise will attract them and it lowers your speed, so you'll want to be prepared in case things go bad and you need to huff it out of there.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Iv heard that, but never had it happen to me. Iv eating and drank on the streets of Cherno with no problems before. Even in the old patches. Might have just gotten lucky though

Yeah I don't worry about it personally, but when you're just starting out and low on supplies/firepower its best to play things safe.

Jerrod

I haven't played this game in about a month but this game is just not as fun as it used to be. Zombies spot me from a mile away and I can not find any food or weapons. I always have tons of soda or bullets but nothing else. Melee weapons are cool but they rarely seem to hit zombies.

ZenVolta

Melee weapons are cool but they rarely seem to hit zombies.

The lack of a FP view kinda throws them off for me. Plus zombies seem to be able to hit you from further away then you can with melee weapon and they just use their arms. Its a weird system lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I haven't played this game in about a month but this game is just not as fun as it used to be. Zombies spot me from a mile away and I can not find any food or weapons. I always have tons of soda or bullets but nothing else. Melee weapons are cool but they rarely seem to hit zombies.

I got used to it. I guess you have to crawl more now. But the line-of-sight thing really works sorta okay. Just gotta be quiet and stuff. Weather also makes a difference.

As for loot, head to Berezino and farm farms along the way. Never had a problem doing that.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The lack of a FP view kinda throws them off for me. Plus zombies seem to be able to hit you from further away then you can with melee weapon and they just use their arms. Its a weird system lol

Yeah its really broken. Zombies seem to be able to hit you at like a meter and a half where as Hatchets and crowbars have a reach of like a meter. It goofy shit that needs to be changed. Why they extended the zombie attack range two updates or so ago at all is beyond me.

JambiBum

Yeah its really broken. Zombies seem to be able to hit you at like a meter and a half where as Hatchets and crowbars have a reach of like a meter. It goofy shit that needs to be changed. Why they extended the zombie attack range two updates or so ago at all is beyond me.

How do you equip a hatchet to use it as a melee? I've never been able to figure it out lol

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Any time I've tried to do that it only gives me the option to chop trees though. At least I think so.

Did you have a primary weapon equipped already, that might be why, but I cant say for sure I havent tried to use one since they came out. Back then though the prompt definitely came up even with a primary weapon already equipped, though nothing happened if you selected it.

Jerrod

Can you group up with people in the game, as in an official party system built into the game? I saw it say somebody got killed by friendly fire where the text chat pops up on the bottom left of the screen.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Can you group up with people in the game, as in an official party system built into the game? I saw it say somebody got killed by friendly fire where the text chat pops up on the bottom left of the screen.

No, the friendly fire thing only comes up when someone kills another player in the debug field which is a big no-no.

Top Bottom