• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Grey Knights are the poorest looking chapter in general terms, on top of being the biggest bunch of Mary Sues out there.

Yes, even bigger than the Ultramarines.

Meteorain

A lot of the basic models are really great looking and they provide a lot more "alternative" equipment. It's such a big fucking shame that buying the stuff got too expensive years ago for me!

m1240915_99060101342_SMVeteranlaurelsmain_873x627.jpg

Damn all of this is making me want to go and paint my stack of unpainted models. I remember when I really got into the Eldar towards the end of my time actually buying miniatures and still have a bunch to paint.

Facism

A lot of the basic models are really great looking and they provide a lot more "alternative" equipment. It's such a big fucking shame that buying the stuff got too expensive years ago for me!

Damn all of this is making me want to go and paint my stack of unpainted models. I remember when I really got into the Eldar towards the end of my time actually buying miniatures and still have a bunch to paint.

Same here, got a whole fucking Ulthwe army ready for paint :eek:

Meteorain

Same here, got a whole fucking Ulthwe army ready for paint :eek:

I just realised that the army I need to paint is High Elves. Oops.

Although I do have some Eldar units. I believe at that time Fantasy was slightly cheaper so I transitioned somewhat. Still really like the Eldar aesthetically and lore wise.

Apart from being one the most condescending bastards around, I think they are really cool. One day when I got a bit of spare cash maybe I'll get some more Eldar models, maybe not to game with, but just for the painting part. The problem partly stems from seeing all those awesomely painted models and you go "goddamn I want to make some too" and then yours looks like the poor bastard got hit repeatedly by a heated iron in the face....

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
But why do the artwork sometimes show a hundred thousand units engaged in ground battle? Do they have some technology that renders weapons of mass destruction useless and the only way to do battle is on the ground or something?

Where's the fun in that? Nothing says "better than you" than a power axe to the gut while looking straight into their eyes. Mwahahahaa!

Jarnet87

Was it always so expensive buying 40K models? Dunno if we have any old school players who were around from the beginning to really answer that. I know it was crazy expensive back when I started in the late 90s.

It's not the easiest thing to find lots of great images of early 40k models (1st and 2nd edition really) but they've come a long dam way. The whole presentation has (models, art, etc)

ledman

I started playing Space Marine on PC thanks to the previous WH40K thread, can't believe I never payed attention to this universe before.

SPEHHSMUHREEN is one of those games that just gets better in my mind every time i think about it. the art is amazing, the gameplay is a little shallow, but the presentation is over-the-top fun and it rewards experimentation. the music is actually quite good and suitably orchestral and "regal" sounding. the voice-acting is top notch, the writing is compelling, and the characters are interesting enough to care about. all of this and the game is about exactly as long as it needs to be. it doesn't leave much out, but it certainly doesn't overstay it's welcome.

and the horde mode multiplayer is almost sublime.

...i'm gonna have to re-install it again. for the empraah.

also, if anyone's jonesing for some WH40k videogame action, the XBLA/PSN title WH40k: Kill Team is a great twin-stick shooter with some class-based mechanics. really good co-op fun.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
One thing I wish Space Marine has is some good, old fashioned cheat code. By the end of the game you have all this awesome stuff. I'd love the chance to be able to play through it again with my power sword.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I cannot think of a single thing wrong with SPESS MEHREN. Even the gameplay is brutal and just the right weight. Feels incredibly satisfying to play. Nothing like swinging your chainsword through a crowd of Orkz hnggggg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
CHEEZMO™;79513889 said:
I cannot think of a single thing wrong with SPESS MEHREN. Even the gameplay is brutal and just the right weight. Feels incredibly satisfying to play. Nothing like swinging your chainsword through a crowd of Orkz hnggggg

And it has the best health system in an action game that I can recall. No candy ass health kits or regen health, no sir. No, the only way to regain health is to brutally slaughter every green skin within sight.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
isnt there one more level of modified soldier very few in number but they guard the emperors throne room , or are they just space marines?

Ohnonono

I have space marine for pc and it runs great, but I never got far because it has this crazy staticy sound problem that I never got fixed. I want to play it so bad, but it's unplayable with the sound bug.

Fou-Lu

I sold off most of my models, but I still have about 1500 points of Dark Elves for WFB sitting on sprues still in their boxes. I think I might attempt to trade them for some 40k to model/paint. I really miss the hobby part of miniature war games.

My dream is that GW makes an online translation of the tabletop game and codes come with every physical set. If they come up with something so people's old models get codes as well they could practically print money without pissing off the fanbase. They put so much emphasis on the physical act of playing with others though so this will probably never happen.

I feel like reinstalling the old Dawn of War games.

Really liked how they did melee in those games. When units kill eachother in melee they actually have unique animations that they go through.

So instead of just hitting a guy till he falls over they'll do stuff like slash a dude up with a chainsword then jump on him while impaling him to the ground. Stuff like that except you had multiple animations for every different unit.

Made the combat really fun to watch.

Anyone know if there's still a multiplayer audience for Dawn of War 2?

I wonder if GFWL scared them off. Had so many problems with that system.

Dresden

My dream is that GW makes an online translation of the tabletop game and codes come with every physical set. If they come up with something so people's old models get codes as well they could practically print money without pissing off the fanbase. They put so much emphasis on the physical act of playing with others though so this will probably never happen.

They should just go full Skylanders. Get the children and the manchildren.

Big-E

Where should I start as a total noob. I have only played the Dawn of War II games and Space Marine. Would like to start reading novels or something and not just read random wiki articles.

Where should I start as a total noob. I have only played the Dawn of War II games and Space Marine. Would like to start reading novels or something and not just read random wiki articles.

as a relative noob myself, i'd say read the first 3 horus heresy books at the least. lots of lore and (mostly) well-written.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Did some looking into the 2 missing Primarchs and their legions. Seems like the Emperor MIGHT have purged them before the Heresy. Possibly because of a mutation.

Fear to Tread

In the novel Fear to Tread, Horus witnessed Sanguinius struggle with and kill one of his Blood Angels, Alotros. When Horus asked Sanguinius the reason he murdered one of his sons, the Angel first refused to answer his brother. Insisting, Horus finally had his answer: Sanguinius transmitted a genetic flaw to his Blood Angels, the Red Thirst, which turns a legionnaire into a mindless killer, leaving him no other choice than killing Alotros. When Horus asked Sanguinius why he never talked about that with his Primarch brothers and, above all, why he never asked for help from their creator, the Emperor, Sanguinius replied he feared the most radical solution his father could propose:

"You know the reason! [...] I will not be responsible for the erasure of the Blood Angels from Imperial history. I will not have a third empty plinth beneath the roof of the Hegemon as my Legion’s only memorial!"

Apath

I've always wanted to get into 40K, but It's just too damn expensive. I'm sure GW knows best, but I feel their player base would grow a good deal if the figures were more affordable.

Arcteryx

Man, I really wish GW would do something like Warmachine Tactics with 40k: just take the tabletop game to the PC/PS4/XB1. Seriously, with how good that MTG game is doing, I imagine GW could basically just print money with all that DLC.

Fou-Lu

I've always wanted to get into 40K, but It's just too damn expensive. I'm sure GW knows best, but I feel their player base would grow a good deal if the figures were more affordable.

There is other miniature wargames out there that are cheaper, (And most have much better rulesets) though I understand the appeal of 40k because of the awesome and expansive background.

Games like Malifaux, Warmachine and Hordes, MERCs, Dystopian Wars, Warpath, Kings of War, Dust Warfare, Dropzone Commander, Battletech, Infinity, Flames of War, SAGA.... I could go on.

Mike M

Nick N
I keep meaning to pick up Space Marine, should have bought it when it dropped to $12 or so on Amazon. Not that $18 is obscene or anything, but the knowledge that I missed out on the price nadir... Argh.

Damn, that is sweet. Size of the axe is far too reasonable though. It needs to look like you'd have trouble lifting it, let alone swinging it.

Would you mind if I posted that elsewhere? It's far too good to not share it with a wider audience.

Maledict

I thought the Red Thirst only started affecting the Blood Angels after Sanguinis's death - don't victims of the thirst normally start having visions of him and his death before they go over the edge?

I thought the Red Thirst only started affecting the Blood Angels after Sanguinis's death - don't victims of the thirst normally start having visions of him and his death before they go over the edge?

You're thinking of the black rage which is when they start thinking they're sanguinius. Red thirst is when they go vampire. Sucks to be a Blood Angel!

Damn, that is sweet. Size of the axe is far too reasonable though. It needs to look like you'd have trouble lifting it, let alone swinging it.

Would you mind if I posted that elsewhere? It's far too good to not share it with a wider audience.
LOL thanks,I don't care. Make me feel bad about the stuff I rushed through.

Mindwipe

Was it always so expensive buying 40K models? Dunno if we have any old school players who were around from the beginning to really answer that. I know it was crazy expensive back when I started in the late 90s.

I mean, GW were never cheap, but yes, 40k was *much* cheaper to play in the Rogue Trader or early 2nd edition 40k days.

GW price increases have happened way in excess of inflation, and GW used to do quite good, regular sales back in the old days in a way you just don't get any more. Plastics used to be cheaper than metal models. And 40k simply used to need less models to play (model counts between 2nd and 3rd edition roughly doubled as 2nd ed was a much more detailed game, mechanic wise).

RTB-01 (the first plastic Space Marine kit GW did) used to be *three* tactical squads for £10...

54-46!

My first and only experience with 40k has been the original Dawn of War series, more specifically;

SiNsrFN.jpg

I love that game, didn't care much for Soulstorm.

Mindwipe

They are part of the Inquisition but aren't lackies to an Inquisitor.

I refuse to believe a Grey Knight goes about doing his thing under the leadership of an Inquisitor. The Deathwatch are just temps who are there to help out Inquisitors because they aren't tough enough to hack it themselves.

Whereas the SoB are beholden to the Ecclesiarchy, which means their basically used by Inquisitors whenever one feels like it.

It depends. The leadership of the Grey Knights and the Ordo Mallus are quite heavily intertwined. It's not so much that they would be there to "help out an Inquisitor", but Inquisitors will have told the Grey Knights where to come and details of what they're there to prosecute.

Nikodemos

The Necrons felt nerfed in Soulstorm. Then again, they were a bit imba in DC, especially the infini-revive trick.

It's not the easiest thing to find lots of great images of early 40k models (1st and 2nd edition really) but they've come a long dam way. The whole presentation has (models, art, etc)

When I started (albeit with LOTR first), troop boxes were £15 for ten Space Marines, twenty Cadians, etc. Metal troops were £6 for three or two, depending on the model size.

Decided to draw a SPESS MEHREEN while watching TV tonight,

Amazing! I do wish I could draw.

And it has the best health system in an action game that I can recall. No candy ass health kits or regen health, no sir. No, the only way to regain health is to brutally slaughter every green skin within sight.

Sad we probably wont get a follow up. I want to know what happens to Titus, dammit! Dat ending :(

Nikodemos

Developer team disbanded? Wasn't it developed by Relic?

But, yeah, 1 million sales w/w doesn't sound too great.

Meteorain

It depends. The leadership of the Grey Knights and the Ordo Mallus are quite heavily intertwined. It's not so much that they would be there to "help out an Inquisitor", but Inquisitors will have told the Grey Knights where to come and details of what they're there to prosecute.

The GK's seem to have a very independent standing. They work in conjuction with the Inquisitor's as they are both part of the Inquisition, but they aren't beholden to them in the same way that the SoB seem to be due to them being an extension of the Ecclesiarch and thus having much overlap with the Witch Hunters.

My main point being that you are under the command of a single Inquisitor is not the same as being part of the Inquisition.

I don't even know why I'm defending this point so much, I don't even like the GK's :(

Mindwipe

The GK's seem to have a very independent standing. They work in conjuction with the Inquisitor's as they are both part of the Inquisition, but they aren't beholden to them in the same way that the SoB seem to be due to them being an extension of the Ecclesiarch and thus having much overlap with the Witch Hunters.

My main point being that you are under the command of a single Inquisitor is not the same as being part of the Inquisition.

I don't even know why I'm defending this point so much, I don't even like the GK's :(

My feeling is probably influenced by the Ian Watson Inquisitor trilogy, where the line between the Ordo Malleus and the Grey Knights was not as straight as it's maybe presented now.

I really wish they'd actually bloody finish that series.

Top Bottom