• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo - Official Thread

GC|Simon

worldofgoobanner1.png

I'm really looking forward to this game and I thought it needs an official thread. Everything you should know about it:

##########################################################

What is World of Goo?
"World of Goo is a physics based puzzle / construction game. The millions of Goo Balls that live in the beautiful World of Goo don't know that they are in a game, or that they are extremely delicious." (from 2dboy.com)

Who is the developer?
The game is developed by 2D Boy. 2D Boy is a young company formed by Kyle Gabler and Ron Carmel. Both have worked for EA before.

On which platforms is World of Goo going to be released on?
World of Goo is coming in North America for WiiWare and Windows on October 13th. Linux and Mac gamers will also get a version - when exactly isn't clear right now. European gamers will get the game as a retail title in early 2009. There won't be a WiiWare Version in Europe.

How much is it?
On WiiWare: 1.500 Wii Points
For Windows: 20 US-$

Where can I get it?
You can purchase the WiiWare version on Wii's Shop Channel. The version for Windows will be downloadable on the site of the devloper (2D Boy) and on some digital distribution channels. In the first weeks of November the Windows version should be available in several stores as a retail version.

What about screenshots?
Gallery of WiiWare World
Gallery of GamesCathedral

What about trailers?
Some trailers at Gametrailers

Is the game worth it's money? (Reviews)
Rock Paper Shotgun

Eurogamer review:

If there's any justice, World of Goo will set the internet aflame and earn its creators a million dollars. The members of 2D Boy should be carried around in chariots while this glory lasts - because at some point, they're going to realise what a murderously high standard they've set for themselves, and run away forever.

9/10

IGN review:

World of Goo is an amazing WiiWare game that you simply must buy for this is exactly the type of software that needs both recognition and support. A three-man team has created a title that is not only significantly cheaper than most retail Wii games, but a hell of a lot better in every regard, from concept to execution. It's packed full of brilliant, challenging levels. It's gorgeous. It's got beautiful music. And it controls really well. So if you value any or all of these qualities, and hopefully you do, you should be delighted to know that Nintendo's downloadable service is about to rock your world, goo style.

9.5/10

My video review (GamesCathedral):

10/10

##########################################################

Note: If you should find any review or other things of which you think are worth it to be in this first post, just write it into the thread. I'll update this post.

As a pre-orderer I'll get my (windows) version maybe already on the upcoming monday. I'm really excited about this game after I've played a demo a while ago. I'll post my first impressions as soon as possible, maybe I'll do a video review.

Who else is excited about World of Goo?

mitheor

Review@Eurogamer

If there's any justice, World of Goo will set the internet aflame and earn its creators a million dollars. The members of 2D Boy should be carried around in chariots while this glory lasts - because at some point, they're going to realise what a murderously high standard they've set for themselves, and run away forever.

9/10

I reaaallllllllyyyyy hope this comes to Steam, for both my ease and the dev's benefits. Its mine for sure either way though, I cannot wait!

bryehn

Game sure is easy on the eyes. Looks like a cross between LocoRoco and PJ: Eden gameplay wise too. +1 Wii version.

wsippel

Banned
Koshiro said:
Wait.. what? Why?
The original plan was to release the game on disk. And they found a publisher in Europe (RTL Games - they'll also publish the PC version in Europe). More expensive, but there will be some additional content.

GC|Simon

evilromero said:
Is this a Monday release?

Monday in one week. WiiWare is very hot these days.

Holy shit @ Eurogamer review. Every single sentence is full of enthusiasm.

To all Europeans: We are able do download the US-PC-version, too... better than nothing. The Wii retail version will be available for 39,99 Euro... with some extra content. It's more expensive than the WiiWare version but I think the game is even 40 Euro worth. It's one of the beste Wii games!

all wii owners should buy this game. not only is it great, but 2D Boy deserve nothing but respect for being such an integral part of the indy community.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Can't wait! Now I have to decide on which platform to buy it on. Probably going to go with Wii.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Heh, I was thinking about making an official thread for this too. Glad someone did.

One thing you may want to mention in the OP is that Mac and Linux versions are coming soon. I know the Mac version has been in beta since April so it's probably pretty far along.

Model 500

GC|Simon said:
World of Goo is coming in North America for WiiWare and Windows on October 13th.
European gamers will get the game as a retail title in early 2009. There won't be a WiiWare Version in Europe.

WHAAATT THHHEEEEEE XXXXXX????

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

The Hermit

:O @ Eurogamer!

I expected something great, and it was the top of my Wiiware to-buy-list until CAVE STORY was announced...

Before Orbient/Orbital I had no idea how great WiiWare really is! :D

samratty

I'm dissapointed Europe is kinda getting fucked over on the Wii release. I'll probably get the PC version instead now (which bothers me slightly, even tho I love PC gaming).

Still, the game looks an incredible amount of fun so it shall be purchased regardless of my prefered platform.

ethic

samratty said:
I'm dissapointed Europe is kinda getting fucked over on the Wii release. I'll probably get the PC version instead now (which bothers me slightly, even tho I love PC gaming).

Still, the game looks an incredible amount of fun so it shall be purchased regardless of my prefered platform.

Europe isn't getting 'fucked' over at all. I'd
much rather have a retail release. One, because
my Wii isn't online. And two, because of the
additional content.

samratty

Uh... We're getting fucked over in terms of release date first and foremost, which is what I was refering to... Especially seeing as I could just buy it for the PC well before first quarter '09.

Additionally seeing as we're going that path, Europe gets only one extra chapter (there are 5 on the WiiWare release) and as far as I know nothing else. All for potentially almost double the price you'd be paying for 1500 points (Assuming it retails at £20 - 1500 Points = £10.50).
Seems a little skewed there, but I willing to admit the extra chapter could be really significant and their could be other additional content.

I'm not trying to troll the game or put down the creators, who've done a fantastic job in my opinion, but I think it's not hard to understand why people would feel they're getting a raw deal here.

Edit:
It was only a passing comment anyway. I'd rather not see the thread derailed into us Europeans whining.

The Hermit

samratty said:
Uh... We're getting fucked over in terms of release date first and foremost, which is what I was referring to...

I though you would be used about that by now...

:D

But I agree, I don´t understand too why they wanted a retail release for one continent and a WiiWare for the other...

This was actually my most anticipated Wiiware game before this whole "retail" thing happened. Now I'm not even sure I'm going to get it (full price, at least). Not that I refuse to believe the game might be worth 40 euros (it's probably more worthy of being purchased for 40 euros than many games), but I just can't get over the price difference between Europe and US. It just blows my mind that we would have to pay 25 freaking euros more than the expected price of 15 euros, just to have the privilege to play one single addtional chapter, and to play it on a noticeably less practical disc media. Not to mention the 3 to 5 months delay... All this makes it seems like the European Wii market is some kind of afterthought to them... Or perhaps they see more potential for profits on retail in Europe (on Wii, at least) ? Would be hard to blame them for trying to get reward for their hard work...And frankly, I'd love to be among the gamers which will be able to thank them for making this game. But for now, and for all the reasons cited above, I'm pretty wary of agreeing with the deal they give us...Guess I'll see what I'll think of all that when the game is out there in 2009...although so far, I must say that despite all the bitching and bitterness you get from me, I'd still be inclined to get it and enjoy it anyway, because, well, I guess I'm just anticipating this game that much...

Anyway back on topic, I hope you guys all buy and enjoy this one on Monday, because from all the impressions, it seems like one really,really great game.

Stormbringer said:
This was actually my most anticipated Wiiware game before this whole "retail" thing happened. Now I'm not even sure I'm going to get it (full price, at least). Not that I refuse to believe the game might be worth 40 euros (it's probably more worthy of being purchased for 40 euros than many games), but I just can't get over the price difference between Europe and US. It just blows my mind that we would have to pay 25 freaking euros more than the expected price of 15 euros, just to have the privilege to play one single addtional chapter, and to play it on a noticeably less practical disc media. Not to mention the 3 to 5 months delay... All this makes it seems like the European Wii market is some kind of afterthought to them... Or perhaps they see more potential for profits on retail in Europe (on Wii, at least) ? Would be hard to blame them for trying to get reward for their hard work...And frankly, I'd love to be among the gamers which will be able to thank them for making this game. But for now, and for all the reasons cited above, I'm pretty wary of agreeing with the deal they give us...Guess I'll see what I'll think of all that when the game is out there in 2009...although so far, I must say that despite all the bitching and bitterness you get from me, I'd still be inclined to get it and enjoy it anyway, because, well, I guess I'm just anticipating this game that much...

Anyway back on topic, I hope you guys all buy and enjoy this one on Monday, because from all the impressions, it seems like one really,really great game.
I think this has more to do with RTL games than 2D-Boy. I think they want to expand their portfolio. And by going retail it means they have actually more faith in the market reception here (since going retail involves more financial risks and a lot more effort).

Phife Dawg said:
I think this has more to do with RTL games than 2D-Boy. I think they want to expand their portfolio. And by going retail it means they have actually more faith in the market reception here (since going retail involves more financial risks and a lot more effort).
Yeah, that's probably the right explanation. I'd still prefer them to go the "easier" way and put it on Wiiware, but no doubt that with things put that way, I understand the position of both 2D Boy and RTL Games a bit more... In fact, I must say that I'm now a bit more willing to support them when it releases here... I guess we shall see then.

Cheez-It

World of Goo is ready for you, ***** *****! The game will be released to everyone on Monday, October 13, but we are sending it to you a bit early as a small thank you for pre-ordering, and helping us survive.

:D

What a pleasant surprise!!!!!!!!

Mdk7

I've always been interested in this one, i read the eurogamer review yesterday and.. WOW.

Too bad that i want the Mac or Wii PAL version, so i guess i'll be screwed with waiting anyway. :p

CaVaYeRo

We got some exclusive Euro details in Leipzig, after talking with the nice guy that is Kyle Gabler (recap for Go-Nintendo):

- Euro publisher is RTL Games
- Final retail price: 39,99€
- delayed to Q1 2009 for Europe
- new chapter added: The Moon (in retail version)
- each chapter has a unique theme (fanboyism, marketing, other tongue-in-cheek themes)
- 50+ levels.
- Online leaderboards: your stats are represented by a cloud on the Tower of Goo. Info shown: country with a flag, score, position, height
- one of the devs is provides voices for the game (Kyle himself, he started talking like the Goos during the interview :lol )
- no Wiimote speaker use, dev team doesn’t like it (he hates it, indeed, after Zelda)
- rumble supported
- TV advertisements being discussed (most likely for Euro retail version)
- Nintendo has been “wonderful” and “Very honest”
- 4 player co-op remains intact (and it's awesome)

Also, we have some more screens (click):

And a little co-op video:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=UY9KKw5wuUc

And a relaxing Goo ball!!
RTL_3.jpg

Feel free to ask, this game is all shorts of awesome. I will pay for it that 39,90 bucks, knowing I'll be stolen by RTL :lol

SUPPORT THIS GEM! AND THIS 2D BOYS!

EDIT: 100% agree with EG review.

CaVaYeRo said:
We got some exclusive Euro details in Leipzig, after talking with the nice guy that is Kyle Gabler (recap for Go-Nintendo):

Feel free to ask, this game is all shorts of awesome. I will pay for it that 39,90 bucks, knowing I'll be stolen by RTL :lol

SUPPORT THIS GEM! AND THIS 2D BOYS!

EDIT: 100% agree with EG review.
40€? :lol Downloading it for PC costs you 15€ (plus whatever your CC company charges you or what PayPal costs). So 25€ for ONE chapter and the hassle of putting in the disc?

I will support the game, but not on Wii.

Cheez-It

Ahh man, forgot I reformatted. Going through the first chapter again, forgot how much I enjoyed this game.

Looks like todays errands will have to wait!

Bizzyb

Banned
Why didn't they make this WiiWare for the EU market?

Oh well, good thing I live in NA. I'll probably pick this up once I can get some more Space on my Wii.

wsippel

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
40€? :lol Downloading it for PC costs you 15€ (plus whatever your CC company charges you or what PayPal costs). So 25€ for ONE chapter and the hassle of putting in the disc?

I will support the game, but not on Wii.
Thank god there's a Mac version in the works. I just hope 2D Boys won't be all that disappointed by the sales in Europe.

Cheez-It

I just got through the first chapter again, and a few stages in the second chapter;

Props to 2d boy for somehow keeping what seems like a simple concept (goo balls) fresh on each of the stages. Introducing new goo balls, new mechanics required to pass stages, and new environments requiring creative use of the new/old goo balls all work to keep the gameplay fresh.

I have a feeling this game will go down as a classic puzzle game along the likes of Lemmings. Back to the game!

Cheez-It

Just finished with the second chapter, figured out what to do in stage 2 chapter 3... This game continues to impress. It's amazing that huge studios on multimillion dollar budgets can shit out the repetitive crap we see cluttering up the gaming world, when an indie game like this can come out of nowhere and offer gaming on par or better than some of the better big name/budget titles.

Wish I could play more, but time to do errands!

:Motorbass said:
oh FUCK off!!! 40€ retail?

WHY??? I wanted that game! :(

Retailer cut + publisher cut + manufacturing costs + costs of producing extra content = reason for price increase. There is a reason why downloadable games cost less than retail!

I just hope that 2D Boy put up the extra content as DLC for the Wii Ware/PC version!

CaVaYeRo

Nuclear Muffin said:
Retailer cut + publisher cut + manufacturing costs + costs of producing extra content = reason for price increase. There is a reason why downloadable games cost less than retail!

yeah, that's it. It's pretty difficult to retail-release it under that price if you're not Nintendo.

And don't forget the 4p co-op!

They've also sent my PC copy, but I'll support the Euro release buying it for my Wii.

EDIT: Oh, and, aside from being 15€ on PC, It's worth 39€. More than every 39€ Wii puzzle out there.

adg1034

Gah. I put in my preorder not knowing that I was past the cut-off for both getting it early and getting the free audio pack that makes all the Goos curse like Tourrette's-stricken sailors. Well, 2D Boy, I hope you like your monies. If I wasn't so darn charmed by the preview version of the first chapter I just finished, I'd be angry right now, but... but I just... can't.

Long Live The Goo.

adg1034

This needs a bump.

Much to my surprise, I woke up this morning to find that 2D Boy's email bot had sent me my copy early! So, I played through the first chapter again and on into the second, and it really is as good as people are saying.

I don't have time for a long post right now, but this is definitely worth your $20 (or 1500 Wii Points come next week, if you want to use those instead).

Top Bottom