• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii sold 410,000 units in France during its first 6 months, DS is at 2.54m LTD

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wow. Anecdotal evidence, but most of my friends have a wii. And some have an x360 on top of that.

Satter

Banned
A listing of what the other consoles (PS2, PSP, PS3, 360) have sold in France during the same time period would be nicey. :)

Haunted

The French 360 LTD would be great so we could better categorise this number, but I think it's clear that 410.000 in itself is a pretty big number for a new console on the French market.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Haunted One said:
The French 360 LTD would be great so we could better categorise this number, but I think it's clear that 410.000 in itself is a pretty big number for a new console on the French market.

Considering I'd never really linked video games to the French at all(just doesn't seem to go with the culture) this is pretty high for the DS at least.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
France definitely has some good taste when it comes to games... I remember DQ8 scoring a lot of sales there, too.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Neo C. said:
France is Nintendo friendly. Even the sales for the Gamecube were not bad (compared to other countries).

Personally what is more shocking to me is how England and Germany have accepted the wii since they are not traditional "Nintendo Friendly" nations.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hcoregamer00 said:
You serious?

41% LTD of the cube in 6 months? :D

Well, that seems to be the trend in both Europe and Japan. Wii in Japan is I believe now over halfway to GC's lifetime sales. It could actually exceed them this year.

Hcoregamer00

schuelma said:
Well, that seems to be the trend in both Europe and Japan. Wii in Japan is I believe now over halfway to GC's lifetime sales. It could actually exceed them this year.

Yeah, that is a scary thought, having the Wii outsell the cube in both Europe and Japan before the end of the year.

It is scary because no one could have predicted in their wildest dreams that the wii would sell this well.

Eteric Rice

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, that is a scary thought, having the Wii outsell the cube in both Europe and Japan before the end of the year.

It is scary because no one could have predicted in their wildest dreams that the wii would sell this well.

It's currently ahead of the PS2 if you count sales in the same time line (6 months).

At least the last time I checked it was.

Hcoregamer00

Eteric Rice said:
It's currently ahead of the PS2 if you count sales in the same time line (6 months).

At least the last time I checked it was.

The weirdest thing is that the quality games haven't even been released on the console. I certainly hoped they upped production once Smash Bros. comes out or there will be lots of sad face this Christmas.

Eteric Rice

Hcoregamer00 said:
The weirdest thing is that the quality games haven't even been released on the console. I certainly hoped they upped production once Smash Bros. comes out or there will be lots of sad face this Christmas.

Well, people are seeing Wii is stores now. I don't know if it's due to a drop in demand, or an increase in shipments. But it seems it's finally leveling off again. Now all we have to do is wait for the big three to drop.

Endgegner

Hcoregamer00 said:
Personally what is more shocking to me is how England and Germany have accepted the wii since they are not traditional "Nintendo Friendly" nations.

Regarding Germany: Why do people keep saying that? NES and SNES were more popular than the Sega counterparts and sales of N64&GC were okay too, weren't they? That said, Germany is really casual oriented (see: success of Brain Training; anecdoctal evidence: none of my buddies has a ps2, but I know some girls who have one because of Singstar).

UK chart news is up.
spiderman 3 is 1
pirates; at worlds end is 2
Mario Strikers is 3.
Nintendo have the only none multi platform titles in the top ten.
with Mario (3) Wii play (6) and brain training (7). cooking mama is at 10

Neo C.

djtiesto said:
France definitely has some good taste when it comes to games
France is always leading in discussions about art and new media.
Art scientist in France were the first who declared comics as an art, and they were the first who consider videogames as an art.

art_4060_id_1.jpeg

Remember?

Raist

Banned
QVT said:
Considering I'd never really linked video games to the French at all(just doesn't seem to go with the culture) this is pretty high for the DS at least.

What he said ?

Meier

bud said:
you know, there's a big nintendo sales thread...

Those big threads are completely and utterly useless. It's always an absolute handful of people checking them again, and no one new actually gets the news. Large threads are useful for the following:

Sports seasons (these are mostly opinion, so it works well)
A specific game (the Pokemon one has been invaluable for trades, etc.)
A specific movie
The picture thread

That's about it. Trying to consolidate NEWS in a single thread is pointless and looking at the post coutn is daunting.

Paulokj

DefectiveReject said:
UK chart news is up.
spiderman 3 is 1
pirates; at worlds end is 2
Mario Strikers is 3.
Nintendo have the only none multi platform titles in the top ten.
with Mario (3) Wii play (6) and brain training (7). cooking mama is at 10

Cooking mama is a Third Party title :p

Hcoregamer00

Eteric Rice said:
Well, people are seeing Wii is stores now. I don't know if it's due to a drop in demand, or an increase in shipments. But it seems it's finally leveling off again. Now all we have to do is wait for the big three to drop.

Nintendo said they upped production, so I trust that it is finally hitting stores.

They better because I will be irritated if it is hard to find a wii once the good games are released (as in Super Smash Bros.)

QVT said:

The problem there is American culture constantly painting a false picture of French culture. Is every American a fat McDonalds-chomping SUV-driving redneck?

meppi

There also seems to be a very nice Japanese import culture in France going back as far as the early 90's and the 16-bit era at least.

Much more so than where I live. (It basically completely sucks over here)
So yeah, overall the French gaming tastes are A-OK in my book. :)

If Wii really is at 40% of GC's lifetime sales it would pretty much boggle the mind.

Masklinn said:
If only NoE could give us some damned blasted games now...
Buy Mario Strikers NOW! :p

speculawyer said:
The problem there is American culture constantly painting a false picture of French culture. Is every American a fat McDonalds-chomping SUV-driving redneck?
The common stereotype of today would probably be a gun toting, war loving neo-con. Although people aound here do think most of the Americans are fat.

pgtl_10

speculawyer said:

Quite frankly yes.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
QVT said:

I think France is the 3rd largest videogame market in Europe behind the UK and Germany. Besides which - Infogrames/Atari, Vivendi, Ubisoft?

Top Bottom