• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV - Abigail Reveal Trailer

Anyone who likes the look of Abigail can never criticise a Rob Liefeld picture again.
Ignoring those extremely nonsensical statements earlier in your post, the big difference there is that Liefeld draws his stuff and legitimately thinks it's good enough to sell. He thinks his stuff is the coolest shit on the street, and that almost nobody can rival his skill. Abigail, on the other hand, was likely designed by a bunch of giggling artists who were spitballing the most jarring ideas they could think of and jammed them into one joke character.

wuth

It's weird, usually I see people get real mad when a character is too skinny (like Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool), so I thought Gaf would love Abigail. I guess that's just the community side though. I'm surprised the gaming side isn't stoked about Abigail's size though, seems right up neogaf alley.

I'm interested. The look isn't what I was hoping for, but I'm all for more off-the wall designs and fewer waifu/bros.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
There's 25 characters now? I don't think sfv will ever get to usfiv's 44 characters.

Neoxon

There's 25 characters now? I don't think sfv will ever get to usfiv's 44 characters.
Capcom's supporting this game until 2020, & we're at Season 2 right now (so we'll have 28 characters by the end of the S2). Assuming that each season has 6 characters, we'll have 46 characters by the end of Season 5 (2 more than USFIV).

cordy

Banned
Capcom's supporting this game until 2020, & we're at Season 2 right now (so we'll have 28 characters by the end of the S2). Assuming that each season has 6 characters, we'll have 46 characters by the end of Season 5 (2 more than USFIV).

Besides Sagat and Sakura, who are the other rumored characters coming into the game?

Dahbomb

Besides Sagat and Sakura, who are the other rumored characters coming into the game?
There was a rumor floating around that it would be Oro, Necro, Q and Viper alongside Sakura and Sagat in season 3.

Of course this is not confirmed.

meerak

Not at alllll what I expected but *hot damn* he looks sick.

Cannot wait to try this give out and see how all the MUs shake out. Gonna be so weird playing Vega vs him.

wuth

There was a rumor floating around that it would be Oro, Necro, Q and Viper alongside Sakura and Sagat in season 3.

A winning lineup if I've ever seen one. Hopefully not too little too late... and hopefully true.

Floex

Ignoring those extremely nonsensical statements earlier in your post, the big difference there is that Liefeld draws his stuff and legitimately thinks it's good enough to sell. He thinks his stuff is the coolest shit on the street, and that almost nobody can rival his skill. Abigail, on the other hand, was likely designed by a bunch of giggling artists who were spitballing the most jarring ideas they could think of and jammed them into one joke character.

giphy.gif

Onemic

Even as a joke character Abigail looks terrible. His design just screams bland as fuck before we even get into his proportions.

mas8705

Part of me wonders if it was still a good idea for Capcom to have gone down this route of "All New Characters For Season 2!" On one hand, you can at least argue that it is fresh new ideas being added to the game, but on the other, we have a case where people want to see certain characters, but they are no where to be seen (and for all we know, still more than a year out). I do want to revisit SFV in the future, but Capcom does make it hard on those of us who don't really have a PS+ account.

LakeEarth

He reminds me of the dude who blew up in Big Trouble in Little China, just before the explosion. He even has steam coming out of his ears when activating V-trigger.

crash-14

His story costume should be the default costume. The default one looks horrendus...

Moveset doesn't say nothing to me. I really don't care but I don't think this is the kind of character you reveal during EVO...

Village

As opposed to the random shit they threw on this Abigail that is dumb as shit?

I don't see whats so random. Same skin tone as the original, as well as same color cloths with a change in print. Instead of chains he used rope which makes more sense with the tire. He replaced the dumb ass tires that are on his arms with 1 single, big tire. Overall it actually reminds me of Abigail, unlike whats here in Street Fighter 5, which looks like an entirely new character.

Besides, its a rough sketch.

Eh, I can see purpose on his arm bands, the shit on his legs , and the tires on his ass. But the sketch, while less... eggerated, has a bunch of purposeless shit on him. Why is he wearing a leotard, and chaps that connect to nothing. Why is he carrying a tire, how does that incorporate in to his moverset into his character , why just ropes? The reason he had chains, besides being a hugo clone is because he was in a cheesy 80's motor gang and what the fuck do ropes have to with any of that. The only cool thing they did were the zeebra stripes

This strikes me as somoene being like " i can do better" and even though they may think the thing they are doing better than is worse, had years of thought behind it and consideration behind it and wasn't just a rough sketch and doesn't really accomplish everything. A lot of folks think they are armchair art directors... and art. I sometimes think that, and sometimes fans do come up with better designs, don't get me started on sonic boom.

But this just seems more nothing and useless than the design we have, you may not like the personality the design we got has, but the one we got has a personality. And it speeks more than a traced hugo sprite with tires and ropes.

paulogy

How does having a character literally twice the size of most of the rest of the crew not break the game? Dude is still taller than his opponent when he crouches.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Yeah, cause thats how character design works or how Capcom works.

Design is not my cup of tea, but I think theyre taking chances and its a good thing. Its a twist on his Final Fight design and definitely gives an "oh shit" vibe.

fwiw, Liefeld hate was always about his body of work and continued success, doesnt apply here.

kunonabi

Part of me wonders if it was still a good idea for Capcom to have gone down this route of "All New Characters For Season 2!" On one hand, you can at least argue that it is fresh new ideas being added to the game, but on the other, we have a case where people want to see certain characters, but they are no where to be seen (and for all we know, still more than a year out). I do want to revisit SFV in the future, but Capcom does make it hard on those of us who don't really have a PS+ account.

All new characters for a season isn't that terrible an approach, although capcom kind of shot themselves in the foot with how they worded it, but it was a dumb thing to do for the 30th anniversary. Should have held them off for season 3.

WorldHero

The design doesn't bother me at all. Nothing different than Aganos in Killer Instinct. Going with the traditional design would've been too plain. This does make me want a new Final Fight however!

JDdelphin

The design doesn't bother me at all. Nothing different than Aganos in Killer Instinct. Going with the traditional design would've been too plain. This does make me want a new Final Fight however!

Me too.
Personally, if they were going FF boss as a character-I would rather have the character be Damnd, but this is pretty neat.
But- Abigail is kindof a blank slate (for better or worse) so it could be fun.

Also- why not Titanic Tim?
All height, less muscles lol

cordy

Banned
One of them was Guy's master, Zetsu or something like that.

Those are the only two rumored consistently by reliable sources so far (from the same guy who leaked all of Season 2) for Season 3.
Well at first we will get Menat and Zeku, the last two DLC characters

Interesting stuff. Guess we'll see.

Should Season 4 (2019, Final Fight 30th Anniversary) be all FF characters?

If we got Haggar, Cody, Guy, Lucia, Sodom, and another FF boss (preferably Belger or Damnd), I think that'd be really cool.

Top Bottom