• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite have a low budget?

Yup. I though they were going to a animated or cel-shaded type of art.
That's what I want. A proper comic book art style, not what MvC3 was.
a003a2786ab61fbc808be5ea8573369d.jpg

aba359380e7d24820a18237aa6bfe878.jpg

silver-surfer-jack-kirby.jpg

mas8705

OAxA6A6.png

Don't worry guys, Ono's gonna fix the graphics.

Not that I doubt Ono, but I'm not holding my breath on it. Especially considering that if "Ono's gonna fix the graphics," you'd think that it would have been done already (or at the very least, have it ready for E3 so that it doesn't leave such a bad taste in people's mouths like it did).

RK128

The state of MvC:I is embarrassing.
If I were Marvel and Disney, I'd rethink lending out my properties to Capcom again, specifically after seeing Injustice 2.

I mean, Marvel arguably has the best comics movie universe established...
Why not leverage that to make MvC:I?
Why not hire some actual writers that made the movie screenplays to cobble something together that isn't as trash as what the MvC:I story demo implies...
Why not hire some decent voice talent to ensure characters like Rocker Racoon and Thor don't come off 100% lesser than their movie counterparts?

And Capcom, WTF, how did the models take a downgrade from SFV... A game where you let Ken's banana hair clip through his shoulders????

The whole thing is a shitshow... Capcom really hasn't given me anything to enjoy this generation.

I wouldn't be shocked if Marvel/Disney contact WB Games and ask if they want them to work on a Marvel Fighting game. They worked with them for the LEGO Marvel games for example, so giving them the 'blessing' to work on a fighter (likely NetherRealm Studios) is a good idea.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
OAxA6A6.png

This has basically been a dude on my Facebook since the demo came out. He also uses weird strawman arguments about MvC being targeted as a cashgrab and DBZ not being targeted for it

Aris said it best 'Don't judge a book by its cover, but I have fucking eyes don't I?'

Nephtes

Not that I doubt Ono, but I'm not holding my breath on it. Especially considering that if "Ono's gonna fix the graphics," you'd think that it would have been done already (or at the very least, have it ready for E3 so that it doesn't leave such a bad taste in people's mouths like it did).

Pretty much this.
Ono isn't living in a vacuum right?
He's seen Injustice 2's story mode, right?

Surely he knew this was going to stand out like a sore thumb at Sony's press conference, full of actual AAA looking content...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Marvel license isn't cheap, that's where the money went.

OAxA6A6.png

Just like they fixed Ken's face. Or the one sided rollbacks. Or the fact that you can't rebind keyboard keys. Or the input delay.

Going to be honest here; people are just better off getting UMvC3 for their PS4/Xbox One at this point. I mean, a large chunk of the roster (animations and all) are ripped right from that game AND you get the X-Men/FF4 Characters. Honestly, the only attractive bit from MvC:I for me is X and Sigma being playable....but I could just have X be a costume for Zero in UMvC3 and 'pretend' I'm playing as the blue bomber.

Shame that the older game looks far better than the new one...but this also applied to SFV too, where USFIV was the better package for current generation gamers compared to the newest game. More characters and content come to mind. SFV though, tried to do new things and honestly has great gameplay from what I heard about the title.

MvC:I is just a poor-mans Marvel 3, and that is REALLY bad when you consider UMvC3 is right there for us to pick up, at a lower price and with no Season Pass dangling in front of our faces.

It hurts to say this but I agree with you. Unfortunately this game just doesn't feel complete and it makes me feel like it's a ripoff from UMVC3.

I just don't get it - how could this happen? We had Combofiend as a co-producer (someone who was great at Marvel 3 and part of the FGC), Norio Hirose as the director who had worked on the previous Vs games, and for once, in-house development of the game so it wasn't outsourced apparently. We also had the backing of Marvel who stated that every game would be treated nicely and with care so it does the Marvel name justice AFAIK, which I thought meant no more cheap cash-ins. I thought Capcom could learn from their mistakes with SFV but I guess I was wrong.

I distinctly remember how awesome the trailers were leading up to the release of MVC3. It was fun guessing the roster and seeing the fan-service, promoting the fact that the game had won awards from multiple gaming outlets for being a great fighter, but also catering to the MVC2/FGC with MSS, Mango Sentinel, Take you for a ride, and more. With MVCI, I don't see any of that, but rather a cheap mobile game ripoff ported to current-gen hardware that will be supported by DLC. However, I will say that he gameplay and mechanics do look promising based upon E3 footage from the FGC and Combofiend.

Going back to OP's question, yes it probably does have a low budget which sucks. The story mode demo doesn't help either, even though it's an outdated build from what we saw at E3. Also, I'm not sure if it's me, but the Xbone demo looks noticeably worse than the PS4 demo.

I'm still going to buy the game (luckily for $25 from Amazon) because I will always support MVC, but I am counting my lucky stars that UMVC3 was ported to PS4/Xbone/PC so I can play it indefinitely. I really *want* this game to do well as Marvel vs Capcom is one of my favorite franchises ever made, but it really fucking sucks to see the latest game be treated this way.

Dali

I really hope because doing an HD version of Tatsunoko vs Capcom would look better than this game
To be fair, rhe art style for tvsc is so good it looked better than mvc3 and it was a Wii game. The art direction for this looks like they were just trying to make console versions of their mobile games.

LiK

To be fair, rhe art style for tvsc is so good it looked better than mvc3 and it was a Wii game. The art direction for this looks like they were just trying to make console versions of their mobile games.

Seriously, if you told me it was a mobile game, I would believe you.

The loading in the Demo on PS4 Pro was abysmal. Put me off any interest I had in the game. I would have invested for the SP but not after that demo.

I thought Capcom had learned with Street Fighter V. But yeah, playing that demo made that game a hard pass for me. I'm actually stunned at how poor it looks. Capcom's polish has been so tarnished in the last couple of years. The days of expecting consistency in their projects are gone and now it's a case by case basis. Capcom only seems concerned with making Monster Hunter games nowadays.

Dysun

It has looked bad since the reveal. Honestly the talk about this being an uprezzed mobile game didn't seem that far off.

Coda

I think the game doesn't look terrible but it needs a graphics patch sometime after launch like KOF did. But I did recently play it on a very high end 4K TV and it looked pretty clean IMO. The UI, lighting and shading could use some work but it does look glossy.

LiK

I think the game doesn't look terrible but it needs a graphics patch sometime after launch like KOF did. But I did recently play it on a very high end 4K TV and it looked pretty clean IMO. The UI, lighting and shading could use some work IMO but it does look glossy.

Hoping they work on an overhaul before release. Altho I'm skeptical about that.

I-hate-u

I thought Capcom had learned with Street Fighter V. But yeah, playing that demo made that game a hard pass for me. I'm actually stunned at how poor it looks. Capcom's polish has been so tarnished in the last couple of years. The days of expecting consistency in their projects are gone and now it's a case by case basis. Capcom only seems concerned with making Monster Hunter games nowadays.

Say what you want about SFV, but at least the character models are gorgeous (for the most part) and the game is crisp looking.

This is worse.

Honestly, none of the post-2009 Capcom's fighting games have been that good artistically. SF4 was probably the best in that regard, but it was nothing to write home about.

It's all made worse because of the obvious comparison against the likes of Xrd (which runs on PS3), Injustice 2 and even some of the anime 2D fighters.

One can hope that Capcom will stop using Dimps some day and just hand one of their IPs to ASW. SF, VS or MvC witth Xrd graphics would be a dream come true.

Coda

Honestly, none of the post-2009 Capcom's fighting games have been that good artistically. SF4 was probably the best in that regard, but it was nothing to write home about.

It's all made worse because of the obvious comparison against the likes of Xrd (which runs on PS3), Injustice 2 and even some of the anime 2D fighters.

One can hope that Capcom will stop using Dimps some day and just hand one of their IPs to ASW. SF, VS or MvC witth Xrd graphics would be a dream come true.

Well Dimps isn't developing this game, nor did they develop any Marvel vs Capcom game. Eighting helped develop MvC3.

LowSignal

I thought the load times were bad and the graphics looked worse than MVC3. I doubt they will fix the graphics before launch if ever. The Xbox version looks 720p blurry I haven't tried the PS4 Pro yet. After seeing DBZ I have to wonder what Capcom was thinking and how Marvel Ok'd this.

I'm not in love with MVC3's artstyle, but it did look good for what they were going for.

Here's the cinematic trailers for MVC3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCxjuXre3Dw

Notice how it looks great to this day and it's like 6 years old while Infinite's story demo cutscenes look ghastly. Captain America actually looks like Captain America and not a budget Toy Story version of John Cena.

JusDoIt

It certainly has a lower budget than a game like Injustice 2, but I'd bet it has a higher budget than a game like Dragon Ball FighterZ.

I think time is more of a factor than money. The game needs more dev time, but they're trying to hit that September release date.

Coda

Minus Dante's face and visual appearance I do really like what they've done to his moveset, he feels more DMC than before with those floaty shotgun blasts.

googly

Probably the budget has something to do with it but the art direction is absolutely terrible.

So bland and boring character designs.

More like a combination of bad art direction and lack of time. No amount of budget is gonna save the game from that horrible art style it has

ViviOggi

Plausibly, but I think there's also an extent to which Capcom's developers are just not very good.

They've been hiring thousands of new college graduates to make their games since they decided to stop using any outsourcing firms, so they're pretty new at this.

Capcom talked about how Street Fighter V actually had way more staff than any of their previous fighting games, and that was pretty threadbare.

Mind, it also takes a lot more work to make modern games, and I'm sure compared to other modern games it's lower budget, but I don't think it necessarily costs less than Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It could plausibly cost quite a bit more.

Huh? Didn't they still outsource entire character models for SFV?

Just like they fixed Ken's face. Or the one sided rollbacks. Or the fact that you can't rebind keyboard keys. Or the input delay.
There was a Linux version of SFV promised in 2016, also an Extra Battle mode was announced before launch.
giphy.gif

Like Ono can fix something
That's savage lol.
It certainly has a lower budget than a game like Injustice 2, but I'd bet it has a higher budget than a game like Dragon Ball FighterZ.

I think time is more of a factor than money. The game needs more dev time, but they're trying to hit that September release date.
It's also worth remembering the the amount of money and time that goes into making one character for DBFz is significantly higher than the cost for a character in MvC:I, particularly if you take into account the heavy asset-reuse for MvC:I.

Canucked

September: Sigma and Black Panther (thanks for buying!)
October: X-Men pack (Oops, forgot these)
November: Graphics upgrade pack (send help)

Neoxon

September: Sigma and Black Panther (thanks for buying!)
October: X-Men pack (Oops, forgot these)
November: Graphics upgrade pack (send help)
Supposedly that won't come until 2018, the 2017 pass only has newcomers. And the blame for no X-Men falls solely on Marvel, not Capcom.

Spman2099

Failed mobile investments from a couple years ago spooked them if I had to guess

I don't know what spooked them, it could have been a number of things, but I think you are absolutely correct that they ARE spooked. I think they desperately need a change of leadership. At the moment, there is no confidence, and it is leading them to make terrible, terrible decisions.

More like a combination of bad art direction and lack of time. No amount of budget is gonna save the game from that horrible art style it has

I'm not convinced it has anything nearly cohesive enough to justify saying it has an art style. It looks like a bunch of poorly cobbled together assets...

Wait a minute... did they outsource this game to Digital Homicide Studios?

I-hate-u

Does this one benefit at all from releasing this holiday season as apposed to early next year besides contractual obligations? I really hope it gets delayed to April or May, and Capcom polishes it.

You only get 1 chance to make a first impression. Please, Capcom, for the love of this IP, learn from SFV.

Does this one benefit at all from releasing this holiday season as apposed to early next year besides contractual obligations? I really hope it gets delayed to April or May, and Capcom polishes it.

You only get 1 chance to make a first impression. Please, Capcom, for the love of this IP, learn from SFV.
They won't time and time again now they have failed to do so. Eg; Sfxtekken, mvc3 (barebones), SFV.

vg260

If they turn of all the chromatic aberration effects, it will make a huge difference in clarity, and address most of the the washed-out colors/blurriness. That's not too unreasonable of an expectation, but they may have designed the textures assuming they would be smeared with that effect, so who knows.

Despite the better lighting and surface reflections that come with the engine and should be expected, overall UMvC3 is a much better package visually, which is sad.

It is definitely "low budget" but its obvious Capcom is heavily using different outsourcers. I don't even think they make any art in house anymore. Capcom is probably paying for the Marvel license and isn't getting any money help from Disney or Marvel. The deal HAS to be shitty going off Capcom's past deals with Marvel.

-Having the story mode right from the beginning is probably taking up resources too. As crap as it is it looks, alot of effort is going into it.

-Characters models are new. They are definitely "better" than MVC3 models but the artstyle is abysmal and probably have a short timetable to make them. Some look good, Captain Marvel.

-Backgrounds are GOOD. Probably using the same outsourcer that works on SFV stages.

If they turn of all the chromatic aberration effects, it will make a huge difference in clarity, and address most of the the washed-out colors/blurriness. That's not too unreasonable of an expectation, but they may have designed the textures assuming they would be smeared with that effect, so who knows.

Despite the better lighting and surface reflections that come with the engine and should be expected, overall UMvC3 is a much better package visually, which is sad.
Umvc3 was great and should have been the initial release if mvc3.

Windup

Neo Member
Definitely some combination of low budget and rushed. Some of the character models, particularly the capcom ones, literally look like they're from one of those mobile free to play fighting games.

Plasma

Banned
"We are absolutely obsessed about [quality]," Ong said. "That is our North Star. We always say 'Great is not good enough. We're going for truly epic.'"

"Things like [games] you cannot under-resource," he said. "You can't not give the development time ... to do justice to the game."

Jay Ong, Marvel's Vice President of Games

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/14/11937012/marvel-games-aaa-spider-man-insomniac-games-jay-ong

So I guess that policy started and ended with the Spiderman game then.

Top Bottom