• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler leaves G4/X-Play

Patryn

Ooops.

And it made me go look up what G4 was calling its late night programming blocks.

Nocturnal Emissions? Barbed Wire Biscuit? They must have seriously been going after that 12-year old audience that probably couldn't even stay up late enough to watch it.

And seriously, what the hell does Barbed Wire Biscuit even mean? I have no idea how a person could even come up with that.

george_us

Ooops.

And it made me go look up what G4 was calling its late night programming blocks.

Nocturnal Emissions? Barbed Wire Biscuit? They must have seriously been going after that 12-year old audience that probably couldn't even stay up late enough to watch it.

And seriously, what the hell does Barbed Wire Biscuit even mean? I have no idea how a person could even come up with that.
I'm curious, did G4 gain more viewership after the switch to their Spike TV knockoff phase? I thought the channel had decent viewership but the execs wanted more.

Strike

That was really unexpected. I think G4 really messed up with this one. X-play is their most popular show. God knows they need the ratings. I figure the only reason they're still on the air after DirecTV dropped them is because Comcast owns them.

It does seem like he still has a gig going, hopefully making video game movies less bad.

And 70% sure the dispute was over his hair or lack of.

not g4 material!

God, I remember subscribing to xplay on my ipod video. Good times.

_woLf

Hope he ends up at GB and not Polygon. They have enough huge names, they don't need any more.

I feel bad for Morgan, though.

Bwhahahahahah G4 sure I'll bet that is not going to bite you in the end, getting rid of the only thing that it has going for it on gaming side...... :|

I think this is a great step and I think that he is going to take a vacation but when he is coming back, he will go to, VOX Media and Polygon I'll bet you that.

Harlock

This guy must be the culprit. He has total culprit face:

http://www.g4tv.com/about/management/

Adam Stotsky
General Manager
AdamStotsky.jpg

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Did they threaten to not renew his contract until he shaved his awful beard?

Seriously someone tell him it's a terrible look

Other than that this seems kind of like it was a long time coming. He looked like the only person still there that actually cared about videogames.

G4 hasn't truly been about gaming in a long, long time. I'm talking about when it launched with shows like G4TV.com, Icon, Arena, Pulse, etc. When pretty much every show was about gaming in some form.

What were the ratings like back when it was nearly gaming only? I can't imagine that they were worse than they are now. I didn't have G4 back when it was like that, but a lot of current gaming related media (podcasts, shows and award events) come across as being an insult to gamers. Whether it be crude humor or people that just don't want to take the time to fact check. So it's never surprising when you see them doing poorly.

Yup. Gaming and TV is just not a good mix anymore.

I disagree. I think it is a great mix. Just look at YouTube and all of the gaming-related videos on it. Or the entire Gametrailers website. Or Giant Bomb's Quick Looks. If G4 really tried, they could very easily fill a 24 hour block with gaming-related programming. The problem is that they just don't try. Letting Sessler go is the ultimate proof of that.

I disagree. I think it is a great mix. Just look at YouTube and all of the gaming-related videos on it. Or the entire Gametrailers website. Or Giant Bomb's Quick Looks. If G4 really tried, they could very easily fill a 24 hour block with gaming-related programming. The problem is that they just don't try. Letting Sessler go is the ultimate proof of that.

Those things work because they're on the Internet. TV programming needs to be designed for the format- to wring as much entertainment out of that 8 minute slab or so between the ads. Plus TV is business-led, whilst websites are editorial-led. You can't drag or drop the things you mention and air them on telly.

ghostmind

This is a good thing, I think, since I like Sessler but I despise G4. Not sure Giantbomb needs another big personality like that, but they should bring him over to the GameSpot side and have him head up the revamp., or jsut let him do his own thing. A group of sites managed by Gerstmann, Davison and Sessler would be potentially killer.

Cinematech was my favorite show on the station. I would DVR and watch marathons of it stoned late night. I loved how they would show weird ass Japanese PS2 games and horror games.

TriGen

Sessler was the only reason to ever watch anything G4 related.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. Once TechTV was turned into G4 the only reason I ever paid attention to that channel at all was Sessler, now that he's gone, I guess that channel is officially dead to me.

Patryn

What were the ratings like back when it was nearly gaming only? I can't imagine that they were worse than they are now. I didn't have G4 back when it was like that, but a lot of current gaming related media (podcasts, shows and award events) come across as being an insult to gamers. Whether it be crude humor or people that just don't want to take the time to fact check. So it's never surprising when you see them doing poorly.

As I recall, ratings were bad. For one thing, back then only Comcast carried it, because they owned it.

TechTV was acquired not so much for its content, but for its viewers and coverage on other carriers, I believe. It was actually getting much higher ratings than G4, but they didn't care about the content. That's why it slowly but surely dismantled everything from TechTV.

As I recall, ratings were bad. For one thing, back then only Comcast carried it, because they owned it.

TechTV was acquired not so much for its content, but for its viewers and coverage on other carriers, I believe. It was actually getting much higher ratings than G4, but they didn't care about the content. That's why it slowly but surely dismantled everything from TechTV.

That slow agonizing transition from TechTV to G4TechTV to a steaming pile of horseshit.

Top Bottom