• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled-1i5b2m.gif

Amazing. Great work Leunam and everyone else involved. Looks amazing, epic start to hopefully an epic season.

ANDY_098

Great OP. Im coming into this season not really knowing much about the broadcasting rights. What does it mean for us Brits without Sky?

Around half of the races will still be live on the BBC, with extended highlights of all others later in the day.

BBC's live TV Grands Prix
15 April: China
13 May: Spain
27 May: Monaco
24 June: Europe
8 July: Britain
2 September: Belgium
23 September: Singapore
14 October: Korea
4 November: Abu Dhabi
25 November: Brazil

Adamm

Great OP. Im coming into this season not really knowing much about the broadcasting rights. What does it mean for us Brits without Sky?

As ANDY_098 said BBC will show half live races & 90 minute extended highlights for the others.

For early morning races (Australia, Japan etc..) They will show 120 minute extended at around 2pm - which is probably just as good as showing them live as not everyone likes getting up at 5am or 6am to watch them live :p

dalin80

Banned

It means we have been grandly fucked over.

Or pay this guy-
douche.jpg

A good chunk of money just to watch the rest of the races.

Juicy Bob

Juicy Bob's Random Predictions:

- Webber will have more wins than Vettel by the summer break, but Vettel will win his third straight title.
- Hamilton will beat Button in the championship.
- Alonso will win only one race again.
- Rosberg will finally win his first Grand Prix.
- Hulkenberg will finish the season with more points than Paul di Resta.
- Sauber will finish the season in 5th place in the constructors championship.
- There will be four wet races this season.
- Robert Wickens will race at some point this season.

xptoxyz

Great OP. I find the number of words in the write ups may be a little over the top, but some subjects would most likely be difficult to expose in a shorter form.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hoping for a Schumacher win this season or at least a podium. It would be great to see Schumacher fighting for wins again and mixing it up with the championship contenders.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Sky Sports F1 schedule for the following few days.
Saturday 10th March 2012

18:00 to 18:30 - Special Report: F1 Countdown
19:00 to 20:00 - Time of Our Lives: GP Greats
20:00 to 22:45 - Formula One Season Review 2011 (Parts 1 and 2)

Sunday 11th March 2012

12:00 to 13:15 - Formula One Season Review 1990
16:00 to 17:15 - Formula One Season Review 1991
20:00 to 23:00 - Formula One Season Review 2011 (Parts 3 and 4)

Thursday 15th March 2012

19:00 to 19:15 - Sky Sports News at F1
19:30 to 20:00 - Inside Grand Prix

Friday 16th March 2012

01:00 to 03:20 - LIVE: Australian Grand Prix: Practice 1
05:15 to 07:20 - LIVE: Australian Grand Prix: Practice 2
09:30 to 10:30 - LIVE: The F1 Show

Saturday 17th March 2012

02:45 to 04:10 - LIVE: Australian Grand Prix: Practice 3
05:00 to 07:45 - LIVE: Australian Grand Prix: Qualifying

Sunday 18th March 2012

04:30 to 09:00 - LIVE: Australian Grand Prix
09:00 to 09:30 - Legends: Mansell
19:30 to 21:00 - Australian Grand Prix: Highlights

And the viewing figures for the preview show are out:

Sky Sports F1

20:00 - The F1 Show: 173k
* peak: 207k
https://twitter.com/#!/JohnWilliams004/status/178415886649135104

Omiee

sky is really steping up their game, cant wait for their coverage this year.

will def still watch bbc forum.

Adamm

Is 200k good? Seems low to me.

It is low. Although there isn't anything really to compare it to is there? How many F1 preview shows are there shown in the UK?

Very low compared to BBC races & qualifying though - they got millions of viewers

EDIT: Some races were getting over 6 million viewers - so we'll have to wait until races start to get a real comparison, my guess is they will be pathetic compared to BBC figures

Yeah I remember reading that the races broke in to the millions, so seeing a tiny fraction of that for (what should have been) a big opening show is quite weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if BBC highlights beat SKY full races.

We can only hope the sky shows bomb and the sponsors throw a hissy fit about the shitty ratings.

I dunno, it looks promising so far. I was dubious but the production values and focus seems to be spot on.

Really, the only thing I can fault them on is the personalities. Brundle is the only interesting one, the rest are still on the BBC.

Juicy Bob

I'm not vindictive enough to want SkyF1 to fail, because I like the idea of it. I'm just bitter that a deal couldn't be struck to keep all the races on BBC live (because watching something live is so much better than watching it delayed, for a number of reasons) instead of only half.

Sky could've offered the F1 as a one-off subscription channel so I could simply buy the basic Sky package and then add on the F1 channel on top. But instead you have to pay for the Sports package to get it, which includes channels that I would barely watch. F1Fanatic worked out that the cheapest price for someone without Sky to get F1 would be £363 per year. I just can't justify paying for that, especially with my situation at the moment.

kharma45

It is low. Although there isn't anything really to compare it to is there? How many F1 preview shows are there shown in the UK?

Very low compared to BBC races & qualifying though - they got millions of viewers

EDIT: Some races were getting over 6 million viewers - so we'll have to wait until races start to get a real comparison, my guess is they will be pathetic compared to BBC figures

They'll be a lot lower no doubt, across the whole of the UK and Ireland they've got 10 million subscribers so it has to be put in to context I guess.

I'm not vindictive enough to want SkyF1 to fail, because I like the idea of it. I'm just bitter that a deal couldn't be struck to keep all the races on BBC live (because watching something live is so much better than watching it delayed, for a number of reasons) instead of only half.

Sky could've offered the F1 as a one-off subscription channel so I could simply buy the basic Sky package and then add on the F1 channel on top. But instead you have to pay for the Sports package to get it, which includes channels that I would barely watch. F1Fanatic worked out that the cheapest price for someone without Sky to get F1 would be £363 per year. I just can't justify paying for that, especially with my situation at the moment.

Oh I agree, and if Sunhi wasn't nice enough to let me rent one of his Sky GO passes I'd be bitter too :) It really sucks if you can't find a cheap way to watch it. The price for one channel just isn't worth it.

ANDY_098

Some more (minor) rule changes for this season:

The changes to the 2012 Regulations have been approved by the Formula One Commission.

One set of dry-weather tyres may now be carried over to Saturday if both Friday sessions are declared wet; it is hoped that this will result in teams carrying out more laps on Saturday.

Changes have been made to the personnel curfew to ensure the rest periods remain constant throughout the season, irrespective of the timing of practice sessions at particular events.

The race director may now prohibit the use of the adjustable rear wing (DRS) if he feels visibility is too poor in wet conditions. This has been done as a result of safety concerns over large speed differentials between cars.

Leunam

Glad you guys like the OP! Wouldn't have been nearly as good without the help of others.

If you guys have any feedback, negative or positive, feel free to PM me.

Why do you hate plain text?

I thought I would try something different. With images I would be able to format the text and pictures however I like. If there are enough requests, I can drop it from here on.

Based on mathematical formula of post count x quality of post, Leunam can have my 2nd Sky Go user slot. PM for the details.

Thank you for the offer, but I don't know how much use that would be for me in the US. :)

Awesome thread, but I'm never going to read that giant wall of text :)

That giant wall is just last years summary. If there is one thing to definitely read on there, it would be the writeups on your favorite teams.

Nice OP, but I hate the text images, ctrl+f no worky.

Plus I use the Pro Dark style so it's black text on dark grey background.

Terribly sorry, very serious oversight on my part. I assume you can see the team writeups just fine since they have their own background right? I may go back and make some changes, not sure yet.

=O

Needs more info on this pic ! xD

Sauber posted that on their twitter feed early in the off-season. Not sure how it has been this year so far, but last year Kamui and Sauber would post some pretty fun pictures.

Anyone know if sky go will mirror off the iPad with an apple tv or hdmi adapter? Getting a friends sky go pass (I wonder how widespread this is) and would love to watch it on the big screen.

Dilly

Banned
Since Kubica's not back, or never might, I'm cheering for Alonso and Raikonnen this year. And I hope Schumacher gets a podium/win.

Juicy Bob

On a serious note, every single year when we get to Brazil I wonder when that pit-lane entry is going to cause an enormous accident. Not in hope of one, but fear.

Xun

It means we have been grandly fucked over.

Or pay this guy-
douche.jpg

A good chunk of money just to watch the rest of the races.
Indeed.

£360 a year to be exact.

The sad thing with the Sky deal is that it'll now forever be on Sky, and I'm sure the BBC will be gradually downscale it further each year.

avaya

He fully Murdoch can be strung up in the fit and proper person ruling and he'll have to let go of BSkyB. James Murdoch is potentially looking at criminal prosecution too.

ANDY_098

Came across this, thought people might be interested:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/f...way-to-watch-sky-next-year-175-and-its-legal/
Ok, I have done some digging and can legally watch all GPs for £175 (except Bahrain – if you want to watch the snoozefest, add £35) , which is much less than Keith’s estimate of £363.

Drawbacks: you have to be able to stream it through your internet.

Here’s how you do it:

Buy a £35 monthly sky go ticket http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-go/monthly-pass-upgrade/ on:

March 16th
June 8th
July 20th
September 8th * You’ll miss Monza FP 1&2, but then get two GPs for £35 this month
October 26th

I have been quizzing Sky today about what you need to do for it – you only need a sky login (free, just sign up). No subscription. No additional costs.

You can still have two devices per account, so you can share the account and cost between two people if you want.

Adamm

Indeed.

£360 a year to be exact.

The sad thing with the Sky deal is that it'll now forever be on Sky, and I'm sure the BBC will be gradually downscale it further each year.

The current Concorde agreement doesn't allow it to be pay-per-view only. So it will never move completely to Sky unless the F1 teams agree to it.

Came across this, thought people might be interested:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/f...way-to-watch-sky-next-year-175-and-its-legal/

You can still have two devices per account, so you can share the account and cost between two people if you want.

Thats pretty sweet, although £175 isnt too cheap either, for non-HD & streaming only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom