• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

LionPride

Banned
I honestly think BP will be great for me, and other black people, those who care about comics or otherwise

Anecdotally, I showed my mom the trailer, we saw CW together and she liked Panther

She wants to see BP too just because he was her favorite character amd seeing so much blackness made her happy

I dunno if the world will feel like that so the movie itself is gon have to be gucci down to the socks

Which it will be

Cvie

I can see that. But is that more commentary on the dark, brooding D.C., or more a commentary on the somewhat brighter Marvel?

In the end though the lesson of WW I think is a hero with a great message, which is upbeat and more 'classic' hero. Diana knows what she wants to achieve, and her goals are noble. She is focussed on this, she doesn't doubt herself, she isn't full of angst.

Hopefully (crossing fingers) this pushes supes and bats more into this direction. I would love nothing more in J.L. than to see supes doing his level best to protect and save people, even more than fighting bad guys.

Not just the tone and more comedic moments but afterthought villians that don't upstage the heroes or heroics.

Anung

Un Rama
Yeah, no chance.

BP is not really a well known character. Some who are into BP are clearly into him, but WW is a pretty well known property.

Honestly, before he appeared in an avengers movie, I may have heard his character name in passing once in the past. No prior knowledge - and I don't live under a rock, but I also don't bathe myself in the comic book world.

I view this character is highly niche at best. Looks like it might be a crazy good film, but I bet a bunch of less informed moviegoers will be like "Black Panther movie? You mean that group that was protesting vietnam in the 60's?"

The logic may have flew a few years ago but we live in a post Guardians, Ant-man and Dr Strange world. Hell outside of comic book circles nobody knew or cared about Iron Man and now he's one of the most recognisable and profitable movie super heroes of all time.

Underestimating movie goers is dumb and a good movie can sell even the weirdest concepts. That's not to say Black Panther doesn't have other things going for and against it.

I really don't care for Black Panther as a character at all, but as a PoC I'm gonna go support the film to send the right message to Hollywood.

That being said, I expect it to flop internationally.

Slayven

I like that a white superhero doing modesty means doom and gloom for a black superhero. Skipping over the fact there are 2 superhero movies inbetween

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Four of the top 5 are some of my favorite movies of the past few years. Really awesome time to be following films.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Damn Spidey, guess the ASM films did more damage then I thought...

Homecoming has surpassed ASM2's domestic total in two weekends.

Please read more than the dumb thread title. :(

Its only going to make half of the last movie, HALF.

Paramount must be sweating buckets right now.

If Paramount is smart, they would scrap Bumblebee and Transformers 6. Give the franchise a rest for a few years then come back with a more colorful true-to-the-cartoon reboot. It will give the franchise a fresh facelift and bring in fans who have been shitting on the Bay movies.

MrMephistoX

Someone bring back Raimi for a Dark Knight Returns-esque Spider-Man with 40 yo Tobey! I really liked homecoming but after seeing it for the first time I rewatched the originals: no comparison. I think it's okay though they made the movie low stakes and low key with a low budget intentionally. He's going to grow and that's an interesting arc.

kswiston

I like that a white superhero doing modesty means doom and gloom for a black superhero. Skipping over the fact there are 2 superhero movies inbetween

The entire internet is being extremely reactionary with Superhero films.

Logan, Spider-Man, GotG2, and Wonder Woman are going to average $760-775M a film.

The average is unlikely to drop when we get the final two superhero films of the year.

The logic may have flew a few years ago but we live in a post Guardians, Ant-man and Dr Strange world. Hell outside of comic book circles nobody knew or cared about Iron Man and now he's one of the most recognisable and profitable movie super heroes of all time.

Underestimating movie goers is dumb and a good movie can sell even the weirdest concepts. That's not to say Black Panther doesn't have other things going for and against it.

Hmm. Well, I don't know if underestimating moviegoers is 'dumb'. I think it's safe marketing to presume that the moviegoer needs some education to be lured into a theatre.

I've made the argument that the title 'Baby Driver' has hurt the film due to it's title. The retort is always "what? BD is doing great!"

The trailers for this movie need to address the origin of the character, powers, etc to establish a point of comparison to other hero movies - and that will draw them in if done well. But if trailers are just a bunch of random action of a dude in a suit, that won't be enough.

So - marketing. Educate people, get them interested about this character they may never have heard of previously. It's a harder climb to sell the concept of an unknown character, for those who don't know who BP is.

I've seen the trailer - it looks good, but not yet convinced that I am into the character. Nothing specific drawing me in. Hoping to see more.

Homecoming has surpassed ASM2's domestic total in two weekends.

Please read more than the dumb thread title. :(

If Paramount is smart, they would scrap Bumblebee and Transformers 6. Give the franchise a rest for a few years then come back with a more colorful true-to-the-cartoon reboot. It will give the franchise a fresh facelift and bring in fans who have been shitting on the Bay movies.

Bumblebee movie already started shooting so too late for that film.

Transformers 6, though, will NOT happen unless it does well....

Who you got directing the 2022 Transformers reboot? J.J. Abrams? Justin Lin? Jon Favreau? Josh Trank?

Fuck it, at this point, give me Snyder.

At least he doesn't put racist stereotypes and statutory rapists in his films (usually).

Who you got directing the 2022 Transformers reboot? J.J. Abrams? Justin Lin? Jon Favreau? Josh Trank?

Like all reboots, Transformers 2022 will be directed by someone that nobody has ever heard of, but a close inspection will reveal that "oh cool, he did that indy movie that I kinda liked."

The Bumblebee movie could actually end up doing that.

Because we're using other people and other films to make a comparison to the actual movie.

The film's structure & plotting has a lot of similarities to both Superman: The Movie and Thor.

I'm not belittling Wonder Woman or anything.
Honestly, I think it's more Donner's Captain America, then.
Whatever man, I was thinking. It really fits both similarly.

MrMephistoX

Hmm. Well, I don't know if underestimating moviegoers is 'dumb'. I think it's safe marketing to presume that the moviegoer needs some education to be lured into a theatre.

I've made the argument that the title 'Baby Driver' has hurt the film due to it's title. The retort is always "what? BD is doing great!"

The trailers for this movie need to address the origin of the character, powers, etc to establish a point of comparison to other hero movies - and that will draw them in if done well. But if trailers are just a bunch of random action of a dude in a suit, that won't be enough.

So - marketing. Educate people, get them interested about this character they may never have heard of previously. It's a harder climb to sell the concept of an unknown character, for those who don't know who BP is.

I've seen the trailer - it looks good, but not yet convinced that I am into the character. Nothing specific drawing me in. Hoping to see more.

Same could be said of Spider-Man. We're the built in audience but the marketing for the film did nothing to persuade average non-comic nerd movie going folks to care about the character. Awesome film but the marketing spoiled major story beats and relied way too much on Robert Downey Junior.

Penguin

Something from Forbes article, WW will surpass Harry Potter to become WB's 3rd highest domestic grosser of all-time this week.

Won't come close to the 2 Bat films, but a solid 3rd place finish is worth it!

The Warner Bros. release is enjoying an unheard of hold, and is now assured of topping out at $395 million or more domestically, among the top showings of all time for the genre. Tomorrow, it will pass up the final Harry Potter film ($381 million) to become the No. 3 Warners release of all time behind The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, not accounting for inflation.

Something from Forbes article, WW will surpass Harry Potter to become WB's 3rd highest domestic grosser of all-time this week.

It's fucking bonkers the run this film has had. It destroyed even the most optimistic of expectations

BP should do good domestic but i have no idea how it will do WW .
As for TF it's time to give it a rest and come back in a few years with a reboot.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This is a good thing now? I remember all the dummies trying to defend Man of Steel/BvS's Superman saying no one wants to see that in the 21st century.

Personally, I don't need another take on Donner Supes any more than I need another take on Peter Parker in high school. Nobody is doing it better than Reeves anyway.

Not counting inflation of course. But I didn't realize Nolan made WB's best domestic grosser.

kswiston

Non-Disney franchises outside of Marvel/Dc properties that can reliably count on beating this year's average superhero gross worldwide with their next release:

Jurassic Park/World
Fast and Furious
Maybe Harry Potter
Possibly Bond (but not if it takes anothertuble from Spectre)

That is everything.

The Potterverse is the only one that I think could theoretically survive over the $650-700M mark if they switched to a 1 film per year model. None would last long on a multiple films per year model.

Shauni

Wow, that's something else.

Top Bottom