• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

BadWolf

He will be at Anime Ascension now. For what it's worth.

Edit: WCS is FT1 matches. Japan Format. Lol. At least there is a losers' bracket.

And yet another WTF lol.

The chances of anyone winning just increased by a lot.

Xiaohai is one of the players that often loses in the beginning and comes back after studying his opponent mid match (and coming back from losers) so it feels like this is to his disadvantage.

M' and Picnic (the Japanese players) on the other hand should be very used to this.

Who will replace Reynald though? It will have to be someone from Japan since this is super short notice. I mean heck they have Kindevu on commentary, he actually attended a lot of KOFXIV tournaments in Japan and even traveled to Chinese tournaments for it (and did extremely well, his Luong is scary af). He could be a great option for a last minute special invite.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If he doesn't make it then that screws over his sponsor (Arcadeshock) as well, they were collaborating with Sanwa and SNK for the after party tournament.

He will be at Anime Ascension now. For what it's worth.

Edit: WCS is FT1 matches. Japan Format. Lol. At least there is a losers' bracket.
Kind of a bad showing for the KOF community too.
But i guess he had a good reason, dude's a true KOF OG.

Update: He had issues with his passport paperwork

yagal

Also, a really cool tidbit is that SNK also sent a special invite to Gato Ray (yeah, the one with the youtube channel who posts a lot of great content) for the championship. So damn cool to see SNK acknowledge his efforts for the community like that. He'll be heading to Tokyo on Friday.

thats-good.gif

BadWolf

The tournament was fantastic, so many great matches. The best was of course Xiaohai vs. M'.

M's patience was something else. The dude just doesn't crack under pressure.

Oh and using XIV's in game announcer and Meitenkun's VA as the MCs was so damn awesome. They were excellent and switching between fluent Japanese, English and Chinese commentary on the fly between the two of them.

It was nice you could make it Gato Ray. :)

I hope someone enjoyed my crappy live tweeting that I volunteered to do at the last moment....

It would have helped... if you freaking threw a link our way during the event lol.

How were your impressions of the event?

Vyse24

Since character DLC is a confirmed thing now, I decided to look back at a rumored list that came out of the Shoryuken boards in April:
The King of Fighters XIV
Downloadable content
Japan (Shingo)
Art of Fighting (Takuma)
Fatal Fury (Blue Mary)
South America (MMA fighter of Brazil)
Official invitation (shapeshifter Fighter (Ash, Yashiro and Krizalid))
Another one of the world's (Lee)
K '(Whip)
Ikari (Heidern)
Yagami (Eiji)
Mexico (Vanessa)
Kim (Jhun)
South of town (Yamazaki)
Psycho Soldier (Bao)
Women Fighters (Kazumi)
Villain (Raiden)
China (Jin Chonrei)
Is this worth taking another look at?

Since character DLC is a confirmed thing now, I decided to look back at a rumored list that came out of the Shoryuken boards in April:

Is this worth taking another look at?

It's worth looking at for the characters listed, but there's no way we're getting 16 DLC characters. I say we get 6, at the absolute maximum.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm so used to "Saturday morning" being "The morning of Sunday" thanks to Toonami, that I totally had the Tourney mistimed! DoH! Thanks goodness for Stream Archives, eh? (-_-;;)

So Sylvie is getting a Red Riding Hood Outfit... I can deal with that. More imaginative than simply Casual clothes, and just off-kilter enough to fit her.

Free DLC stages, including the FF2 traditional Train Stage (Very nice to see this happen complete with Mt. Rushmore), and what looks like a throwback to the KoF 2001 Racing Stage?

fatfury2008.gif

kof2001-stage-brazil-animate.gif

And that's some weird stuff going on with our DLC Chara Silhouettes:

KOFDLC610.jpg

How many pairs of legs am I seeing? Ha. I'd be all for leftmost being Whippy... At least it doesn't look like we're getting straight CYS? Of course I'd welcome Mary back with no hesitation too... who'se the big guy? Is there someone in front of them?

Loona

The character silhouette on the left looks like it could be Whip...

Whip doesn't seem that likely to sit like that - I'm thinking Kasumi...

Free DLC stages, including the FF2 traditional Train Stage (Very nice to see this happen complete with Mt. Rushmore), and what looks like a throwback to the KoF 2001 Racing Stage?

The KoF97 Monaco stage seems like the better fit.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Whip doesn't seem that likely to sit like that - I'm thinking Kasumi...

It looks like it COULD be a pose like Whippy's Block:
whip-block5.gif

The KoF97 Monaco stage seems like the better fit.

Yup, totally right, I think I have a blind spot for 97 at times (though I do have it on Saturn, it always glitched up for me...)

kof97-stage-monaco.gif

Great to see some Nostalgic stages, and we needed a "moving" stage like the Train to keep up with KoF traditions.

Vyse24

For a while I was starting to think the stages were clues about who the new characters were gonna be. That got thrown out once I realized that Blue Mary and Yamazaki debuted in Fatal Fury 3, not 2.

There's definitely 4 people in that picture. The one kneeling, the one standing up, the one leaning over on the right, and there is one in front of them that almost looks like they're in a walking motion. My guesses for them respectively are Kasumi, Vanessa, Yamazaki and Whip.

BadWolf

Great to see some Nostalgic stages, and we needed a "moving" stage like the Train to keep up with KoF traditions.

KOF99 rain stage pls.

They have pretty much covered everything with post launch support (major graphical update, balance updates, costumes DLC, stage DLC, character DLC).

The only thing I can think of that is remaining is sound, wonder if they are considering an arranged sountrack or classic tracks?

There's definitely 4 people in that picture. The one kneeling, the one standing up, the one leaning over on the right, and there is one in front of them that almost looks like they're in a walking motion. My guesses for them respectively are Kasumi, Vanessa, Yamazaki and Whip.

Yeah it's four for sure it seems and they will probably be added at the bottom of the character select next to Antonov and Verse, and considered more as individual characters than a 'team' (and will probably be released as such).

My money is on Whip, Vanessa, Yamazaki and Mary.

On a side note, we are finally getting some character guessing hype (which we were robbed of with the main roster due to that full roster leak before the game was even announced).

The tournament was fantastic, so many great matches. The best was of course Xiaohai vs. M'.

M's patience was something else. The dude just doesn't crack under pressure.

Oh and using XIV's in game announcer and Meitenkun's VA as the MCs was so damn awesome. They were excellent and switching between fluent Japanese, English and Chinese commentary on the fly between the two of them.

It would have helped... if you freaking threw a link our way during the event lol.

How were your impressions of the event?

haha sorry I was having a hard enough time doing the livetweeting

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
For a while I was starting to think the stages were clues about who the new characters were gonna be. That got thrown out once I realized that Blue Mary and Yamazaki debuted in Fatal Fury 3, not 2.

Yeah, it would have been a nice drop, to relate them to the stages. I'm just happy that no matter what, in KoF, I pretty much love every characters. There's a lot in SF where I feel like adding certain people really does feel like a waste... until we get to their new moveset tweaks, and then they're more interesting.

KoF characters have such nice personalities, even the ones I don't like, I look forward to seeing in motion, speaking, acting in their unique ways, again.
KOF99 rain stage pls.

The closest 3D game stage I can think of to that is the "Lightning Storm" stage from Tekken 6 BR. It's sad how few stormy, rainy stages we see in 3D graphic fighters. I'd love to see them go for it!

The only thing I can think of that is remaining is sound, wonder if they are considering an arranged sountrack or classic tracks?

Hope the new DLC characters come with some special rival tracks, too. I'd love it if they snuck in new ones, unannounced, even with old matchups. Ryo VS Geese could use one, for example, or we could have one for Idol VS Idol, Bird Girl VS Bird Girl, etc...

stn

Running Terry - Geese - Athena lately. Terry builds meter, Geese is there for damage explosiveness, and Athena is the all-around character who can play wherever. Would you guys change this order?

BadWolf

Classic Iori Costume Trailer

Already available on the NA store.

Running Terry - Geese - Athena lately. Terry builds meter, Geese is there for damage explosiveness, and Athena is the all-around character who can play wherever. Would you guys change this order?

I've seen all three of them used in all positions so the order is really up to you.

Though something to consider is that both Terry and Geese are better at cashing out meter than Athena and can do huge damage with simple combos. Athena can also be more annoying to deal with when the opponent has less meter to work with.

So yeah, they can go anywhere so it depends on how you play them and their purpose on your team.

stn

What's considered the single worst matchup in this game? Also, does Geese do well versus the following: Mai, Joe, Terry, Athena? I'm trying to break down some of his matchups. Thanks.

BadWolf

Official KOFXIV shirts that could only be won in tournaments, in the past, are on sale at Amazon.Jp: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aag/mai...tocol=current&seller=A2L29Y9K07W8YO&sshmPath=

Finally!

Where's the Terry one though :(

Wonder if they will partner with anyone in NA to sell here as well.

has anyone downloaded classic iori? it doesn't show up in the game

I haven't done so personally but I just fought a long online session against someone who did.

Did you try accessing like the other alt costumes?

Finally!

Where's the Terry one though :(

Wonder if they will partner with anyone in NA to sell here as well.

I haven't done so personally but I just fought a long online session against someone who did.

Did you try accessing like the other alt costumes?

it worked now, had to restart the console. thanks

BadWolf

Dreamcancel has put together a quick BnB combo guide for the game, for easy and simple combos, for the entire cast.

Been messing with the villian team the past few days and it's been quite the experience lol. At first I was getting frustrated that they were missing a lot of basic tools but eventually they started to make sense in a weird kind of way. The key word being weird, there are so many unique little things about them that you really have to change your mindset when approaching them. A lot of unique properties on their moves and normals.

The best part of course is that you can just feel the rage from the opponents lol.

More Clark things

That's one more reason to go for that combo in the corner. Gives just the right spacing for this.

Very nice, are you using this stuff that you are finding in real matches? Successful?

Very nice, are you using this stuff that you are finding in real matches? Successful?

This particular setup I just found so I haven't had the opportunity yet, but the OS itself and the other one with the super from the safejump do help yeah. Vice has one that's similar which I also use (input the jumping normal as hcb x2 B+C, you get j.C to hit crouchers and super if they try to roll out).
What I haven't been able to do is actually convert off Clark's far C when I do catch a wake-up roll with it with cr.B back A+C. Training mode doesn't allow me to set the dummy to randomly roll on wake-up so I can't practice that as much as I'd like to.

BadWolf

This particular setup I just found so I haven't had the opportunity yet, but the OS itself and the other one with the super from the safejump do help yeah. Vice has one that's similar which I also use (input the jumping normal as hcb x2 B+C, you get j.C to hit crouchers and super if they try to roll out).
What I haven't been able to do is actually convert off Clark's far C when I do catch a wake-up roll with it with cr.B back A+C. Training mode doesn't allow me to set the dummy to randomly roll on wake-up so I can't practice that as much as I'd like to.

Good stuff and yeah, it would be nice if they made additions to training to allow for practice of various set ups.

Sorry but I'm gonna have to steal that Vice tech.

are characaters like blue mary and heidern popular enough to show up as DLC?

Mary? Sure, she is one of the more requested characters and many think that she is one of the upcoming four DLC characters.

Heidern? Not so much. The last time he was playable in a mainline (non-dream match) entry was KOF2001 iirc.

BadWolf

So how is it going with you guys with this game? What characters are you using?

Personally I'm having too much of a good time, online play is heaven. I'm constantly switching characters, to the point where I've gotten too lazy to choose and often play team random select. Pretty often going through 20+ characters in a session. There is a flow and logic here that makes it very easy to quickly learn characters. It's definitely in the running for one of my fave rosters ever.

Gotta say, played Kim's team a bunch yesterday and they really nailed this trio, Gang-Il and Luong fit Kim perfectly as team mates and all three are fun as heck to play (and very strong). They basically pulled a Vice/Mature/Iori for Kim.

I still hope that May Lee and Jhun return (and they can easily do so since their playstyles are very unique) but on different teams, Kim/Gang-Il/Luong should stick together from now on.

Perfect, love how they just straight up tell us instead of dicking around.

Hyun Sai

Personally I'm having too much of a good time, online play is heaven. I'm constantly switching characters, to the point where I've gotten too lazy to choose and often play team random select. Pretty often going through 20+ characters in a session. There is a flow and logic here that makes it very easy to quickly learn characters. It's definitely in the running for one of my fave rosters ever.

Gotta say, played Kim's team a bunch yesterday and they really nailed this trio, Gang-Il and Luong fit Kim perfectly as team mates and all three are fun as heck to play (and very strong). They basically pulled a Vice/Mature/Iori for Kim.

I still hope that May Lee and Jhun return (and they can easily do so since their playstyles are very unique) but on different teams, Kim/Gang-Il/Luong should stick together from now on.

Perfect, love how they just straight up tell us instead of dicking around.

I roll the Fatal Fury team, in hommage of the first SNK game I played in the arcade.

No, I'm definitely not the sentimental type !

Otherwise I fool around with Bandeiras (hope for a buff), Mai, Robert and Kim.

BadWolf

I roll the Fatal Fury team, in hommage of the first SNK game I played in the arcade.

No, I'm definitely not the sentimental type !

Otherwise I fool around with Bandeiras (hope for a buff), Mai, Robert and Kim.

*bro fist*

The FF team is so good in this, Terry is one of my go to anchors.

Agreed on Bandeiras, at the very least they should buff the damage on his 1 bar combos. His 2 bar and beyond are solid but 1 bar is very meh and it feels like his damage scales like crazy the moment he does quick max. The counter attack on his parry should also be guaranteed. So far the play style that has been the most successful with him for me has been hit-and-run. Love his far stand D.

Next week, eh? Oooh, I can't wait to hear about the return of...of...gah, I can't get my hopes up by saying any particular character. 'Just gotta wait.

Aside from Mr. Obvious
(Yamazaki)
it will be very interesting to see who the other three are and how they all look (fingers crossed for design refreshes).

Aside from Mr. Obvious
(Yamazaki)
it will be very interesting to see who the other three are and how they all look (fingers crossed for design refreshes).

I was hearing folks say that Mr. Obvious could be Lin. Which, I like Lin, but PLEASE GOD don't let it be Lin and not Yamazaki.

Vyse24

You know, looking at the silhouette on the left, it looks like they have long sleeves and what looks like a skirt. And off the top of my head, the only character I can think of that fits that description is Shermie.

I highly doubt it's her though unless the other three just happen to be Chris, Yashiro and Goenitz for a Heavenly King reunion.

stn

As a novice KOF player - a ton. I've been messing around with Robert, seems simple to use and friendly towards SF players such as myself. Dabbled a bit with Mui Mui, decided against using her since she doesn't seem very safe. I tend to gravitate towards character with safe specials and easy AA's when I don't know anything, so I can at least use basic 2D spacing in order to have a chance at winning.

BadWolf

Looks like by winning the championship M' has put K' back on the map, a bunch of top players seem to be playing him again (including Xiaohai).

I was hearing folks say that Mr. Obvious could be Lin. Which, I like Lin, but PLEASE GOD don't let it be Lin and not Yamazaki.

The only thing more surprising than that silhouette not being Yamazaki is it being Lin lol.

Don't get me wrong, Lin is very cool and a pretty unique take on a ninja but he would be tough to sell as DLC. He's more the type of character that appears in a starting roster.

You know, looking at the silhouette on the left, it looks like they have long sleeves and what looks like a skirt. And off the top of my head, the only character I can think of that fits that description is Shermie.

I highly doubt it's her though unless the other three just happen to be Chris, Yashiro and Goenitz for a Heavenly King reunion.

Nah, doesn't look like Shermie at all.

Besides when it comes to her team, people usually not only expect the trio to appear together but also expect their Orochi versions to be playable as well.

As a novice KOF player - a ton. I've been messing around with Robert, seems simple to use and friendly towards SF players such as myself. Dabbled a bit with Mui Mui, decided against using her since she doesn't seem very safe. I tend to gravitate towards character with safe specials and easy AA's when I don't know anything, so I can at least use basic 2D spacing in order to have a chance at winning.

Good stuff, yeah Mui Mui is strong but her defensive options can be lacking. She does have great damage output though and her normals are very useful. Her rekkas are also safe if canceled early and her combos are easy and do big damage.

Robert is a solid all around choice. Andy, Kensou, Athena, Iori etc. also have safe pressure and have good reversals. And there are other unique tools as well, with Athena for example you can raw activate and have a free get of jail card at your disposal with her EX teleport, which is fully invincible and a lot less risky than a DP.

ike_

Yeah, took me a while once I realized it might not be Shermie:

B4ZPZ5R.gif

Anyway, I'm sure SNK will bring in the right characters. Can't wait for the reveal.

Vyse24

Huh. I was expecting the reveal to be on a Thursday for old times' sake.

Since it sounds like it's only gonna be one character, I'm gonna guess it's Yamazaki.

Top Bottom