• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are built to last

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t think people understand with HD remakes, you would need to refresh THOSE time down the road. So in your opinion what games stand the test of time and hold up years from release.
364548-r6v2_sshot2.jpg

I remember playing this in 2009 and thinking you can’t make a better cover fire game than this. Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is so playable today mostly due to its color shade choice, and hip fire.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You can get bored of any formula, but in terms of gameplay, COD MULTIPLAYER holds up just as well as COD WW2.
Besides visuals I bet you could have just as much fun in black ops as modern day 60fps shooters.

Aztorian

Social games like MMO's.

World of Warcraft and RuneScape have been around for more than a decade and are still doing pretty good.

I still find games like Doom and Street Fighter 2 to be lots of fun.
The atmosphere and satisfaction of shooting or ko'ing your opponent in both games, is still there for me.

sa01.gif

Anything cell shaded holds up amazingly, I was recently replaying gears 1 and I noticed it really hasn't held up well due to the oversaturation and bloom, I feel that's a big problem of the ps360 gen where brown was all the rage.

I played GC windwaker recently and it still has that charm and is playable.

Also most old 2d SNES games still look fantastic and don't really have control issues.

PS1/2 games in general seem to have aged the worst for me, both in terms of screen clarity and controls.

sublimit

Banned
Anything cell shaded holds up amazingly, I was recently replaying gears 1 and I noticed it really hasn't held up well due to the oversaturation and bloom, I feel that's a big problem of the ps360 gen where brown was all the rage.

I played GC windwaker recently and it still has that charm and is playable.

Yup.I replayed Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 (through component) some years ago and it looked as amazing as when i first played it in 2006. Same goes with Ni no kuni which i replayed this summer.

SpiceRacz

H2x1_SNES_SuperMetroid_image1600w.jpg

Holds up remarkably well. Really effective at creating a mood and atmosphere thanks to great art style and soundtrack. It's perfectly paced as well - the game only lasts as long as it needs to. It's a concise experience, a game with no fat on it.

Still the best in the genre.

Ballthyrm

Any game with gameplay first as an ideal, not graphics, not story, just great controls.
Any game that you can play it like a toy, having fun on your own and not following the instruction will still work to this day.

I think Jak and Daxter still holds up really well to this day. The 2 sequels are whatever but the first game is still incredibly fun to play ever since it’s release imo.

BANGS

Banned
I have this weird thing where games don't seem "dated" to me. Like, if it was good back then, it's good now IMO. Every game I enjoyed as a kid I enjoy now, and every game I though was lame as a kid is considered "dated" by the masses now...

So basically that was a really long winded way of saying I probably shouldn't post in this topic...

I don't know. I don't think those PS2 era GTA games would hold up super well for someone trying to play them for the first time in 2017. I'd say the same is true for Manhunt as well.

If you play them on console they dont hold up at all. With their lack of perspective control and that shit lock on mechanism for shooting. On PC, with a mouse and a keyboard, they play just like todays games. Like a less refined gta 5.

I have this weird thing where games don't seem "dated" to me. Like, if it was good back then, it's good now IMO. Every game I enjoyed as a kid I enjoy now, and every game I though was lame as a kid is considered "dated" by the masses now...

So basically that was a really long winded way of saying I probably shouldn't post in this topic...

I actually share the same sentiment. Great games are just that. It doesn't matter whether you play them now or in ten years time. I frequently play titles from different generations interchangeably.

Back on topic: I think that the Civ games are timeless (or any strategy game for that matter). I still play an early 90's 4x game called Stars! on occasion as it is still one of the greatest examples of the genre.

radewagon

Gameplay over graphics.

I get it, but I think this argument often overlooks that many of our best classic games had great graphics when they were originally released. Make no mistake, many of these great gameplay type games were visual showstoppers.

JustCheeze

Neo Member
Tekken_series_logo_as_of_2012.gif

I mean, it's a legacy game. One with mechanics from 1994 that is still in the game in 2017. The most recent Tekken world champion is a player that has been playing since its first release.

Hell yeah it's built to last.

sublimit

Banned
Tekken_series_logo_as_of_2012.gif

I mean, it's a legacy game. One with mechanics from 1994 that is still in the game in 2017. The most recent Tekken world champion is a player that has been playing since its first release.

Hell yeah it's built to last.

You know i tried recently to play some Tekken 3 matches (one of my favorite games of all time) and it was so slow by modern standards that it almost felt unplayable.
On the other hand i still play Tekken 5 DROnline from time to time and i still consider it as the best Tekken ever made (i haven't played T7 yet).Gameplay and animation wise that game achieved perfection for me.It has the right amount of everything in it.

Super Mario World. Seriously, the controls are tight as fuck, it's even more responsive than SMB 3 and while it's not crazy acrobatic like SM64, you don't have the camera to worry about. It's the single most approachable game ever designed, rewarding mastery with hidden exits and tougher stages to follow them and being easy to pick up and play in your own pace. The movement is not floaty, it's not stiff, it's just fucking perfect.

Games with a fairly open world and silent protagonist where you determine your class, development and write a part of the story in your head. This tends to favor WRPGs over JRPGs as the latter tend to focus on well defined characters and story. That's not to say JRPGs aren't very replay-able if well done. Final Fantasy games are wonderful to revisit after a few years break.

But I'm talking more about games like the Elder Scrolls series. I've got a new play through started in Morrowind that feels fresh because my protagonist has a different race, class and factions. Likewise with Skyrim now on the Switch, and I've got a recent new Oblivion game going.

I also agree strategies like StarCraft/StarCraft2 etc. are pretty enduring. I've got StarCraft2 but sometimes go back and play original StarCraft. The old graphics don't bother me since the gameplay is so great.

Top Bottom